Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

JBP posted:

Played a few hours if this and don't get the hype. Cool it's an amnesia story but communism is in it and the voice acting is bad.

communism is good op

e: :69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Xander77 posted:

I thought this was interesting:
https://imgur.com/gallery/7r3lxlf

So pretty much communism and an amnesia story *yawn*

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Has anyone done this yet:

What kind of Pokecop are you
How do you do the things you do
Share with me your secrets deep inside (deep inside)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

wuggles posted:

Has anyone done this yet:

What kind of Pokecop are you
How do you do the things you do
Share with me your secrets deep inside (deep inside)

Bug Cop
With the help of Bugs
Bugs are the best type of Pokemon

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
is it just me or is savoir-faire really under-utilized compared to the other skills

in my first playthrough it actually sounded giddy when it jumped into a conversation after many hours, in a "i finally get to *do something!*" sort of way

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Doesn't Savoir-Faire at one point say "Finally, MY time to shine!" ? I think it's when you have to teleport to the roof of the Feld building

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

maybe its meta in that its the skill that makes you a cool slick cop but your guy just isnt cool or slick

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Harry's pretty cool and slick on the dance floor. But, to add insult to injury, it's Composure and not Savoir-Faire that lets him cut a mean rug.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Savoir faire is about being graceful and agile and cool. The dance is disjointed, idiotic and devoid of conscious thought. If anything savoir faire should try to stop you.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Caufman posted:

Doesn't Savoir-Faire at one point say "Finally, MY time to shine!" ? I think it's when you have to teleport to the roof of the Feld building

Even Encyclopedia says that at one point and it's not exactly an under-used skill

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I just realised this is basically Sam and Max but you're Max.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's...really not

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Harry is more like Sam.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Finished my second playthrough last night.

Great game.

One thing that caught my attention and makes me worry for Harry's future.

Harry seems to be stuck in a pattern of recurring dreams that drive him to these episodes. In the first night's dream, the hanged man tells him to "wait till the dream with the girl, that one will really gut you". Then sure enough, a few days later, he has the Dolores dream, in which she tells him that he will see her again soon, because he will have this dream a few times a week. That is really depressing to me.
I hope he takes the phasmid's advice.

There is also one mystery I haven't puzzled out, maybe some of the detectives ITT can help.

How did Harry get back to his room after he crashed his car?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Golli posted:

There is also one mystery I haven't puzzled out, maybe some of the detectives ITT can help.

He teleported.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Golli posted:

Very carelessly

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Golli posted:

I think someone mentions somewhere that Harry jumped into the canal. I assume that those were the same incidents.

And yeah, the most depressing part of the game was when I found out that she left over SIX YEARS ago. Excluding, of course, the story of Girl Child Communism .

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Actually. Does somebody have a list of all the variants of the Plasmid's advice.

I got:
Do it for the working class ... she was middle class, but you don't need a three-metre stick insect to tell you that. Which implies that there are at least 3 other variants.
It seems like the centrist option is:
For all man kind. ... she was hell on Earth

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
My computer barely can handle this game, so now that I’ve beaten it I went back to check out a couple of checks I missed on YouTube. Seems like that final conceptualization check for Klassje was a pretty big one. I’m trying to remember if I missed anything else.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I just realised this is basically Sam and Max but you're Max.

That's hilarious. I was going to say this game is Zybourne Clock made by grownups from C-SPAM.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

VictualSquid posted:

the story of Girl Child Communism .

I maybe missed this. With which character/location does it come up?

Also, bought the OST. Pretty happy with it, and it came with a thought cabinet background, so bonus.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

bobtheconqueror posted:

I maybe missed this. With which character/location does it come up?

Also, bought the OST. Pretty happy with it, and it came with a thought cabinet background, so bonus.

There are fragments everywhere. The name comes up with the deserter, though you might have to be a communist

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

VictualSquid posted:

There are fragments everywhere. The name comes up with the deserter, though you might have to be a communist

Oh ok. I thought there was something more specific, but I know what you're talking about. Thanks!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Watching Its A Wonderful Life and chuckling at the scene with Potter's chair

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean as much in that the protagonist is what happens when the hilariously insane cop with no impulse control has an actual human body and mind rather than that of a cartoon lagomorph.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

My goodness! What an ending! So glad that wasn't spoiled for me, haha. What a cool game. I do wish there was some sort of "and then what happened" ending scene, though! What a development.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

sequel with you playing a moralintern rear end in a top hat chasing klaasje please and thank you

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
A sequel where you play as kim and get to see just how bizarre the detective's actions look from the outside.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

HerraS posted:

sequel with you playing a moralintern rear end in a top hat chasing klaasje please and thank you

That's just this game if you're doing it right.

Also, I thought you guys crying at the phasmid were being real dramatic, but I just scared the phasmid away, and now Christmas is ruined.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Kim's dulcet voice chiming in ruled every time it happened. Love that guy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
played a high-PSY character on my second run and there was a part at the very end of the game where, after i followed a suggestion from Suggestion and it went badly, it immediately went "why do you keep listening to me? I AM ALWAYS WRONG"

and, you know, fair

Deranged M
Nov 14, 2012
I don't even know how I got 25 hours in this game already considering I got it last weekend. Gotta take a break from side questing, don't wanna get burned out and steered away from finishing.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Scott Benson (night in the woods) put Disco in his Giantbomb fav games list and had some good thoughts on it.

https://www.giantbomb.com/articles/scott-bensons-top-10-games-of-2019/1100-5947/

I could write about the revelatory mixture of deep RPG mechanics and Kentucky Route Zero-esque adventure games. A lot of people will probably talk about the characters in detail, probably Kim most notably. All the stuff I’m about to write about ties deeply and beautifully into those aspects in ways that would take me forever to do justice to. I could write about the art, the music, the design, all of which are fantastic. But I feel like others have written and will continue to write about all that stuff quite a bit, possibly on several other top 10 lists on this very site if there is any justice in the world. So instead I’m going to talk about just one reason why this game has stuck with me personally. Also this entry for some reason ended up containing multiple references to the late author Mark Fisher. Make of that whatever you will.

It was a decade of backwards looking, in almost no good ways. We recycled the '80s and '90s over and over, nostalgia run through the marketing department and sold back to us until the retro cool itself became retro. Things that survive and are imbued with outsized importance because they can be monetized over and over, and anyway I hear there's a second Ghostbusters reboot that just got announced. There were no shortage of assurances that we were already doing more or less the best we could do as a society, as an economic system. We only needed to proceed with small tweaks and sensible reforms, any real promises of progress seemingly tied to structures sinking, sometimes literally, into the sea.

When I look back at this decade, the games that have most captured me fall under the broad umbrella of the End Of History game--games that directly address the feeling of being trapped in a social and economic order from which there is no possible escape, no conceivable one, none that won’t immediately be brushed aside by Serious People or crushed outright by capital and the state (sorry, this is going to get heady for a minute but let’s be real you knew what you were signing up for reading my list). A quick roundup off the top of my head might include Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor and the great Kentucky Route Zero. Our own game Night In The Woods would fit. There are others. These games don’t simply depict people struggling to get by, but doing so in a world haunted by dreams of the future that never came, where even the barest hints that things could really get better, that things could really change, are seen almost as nostalgic. Not just a Fallout-ish ironically cheery future set among the ruins, but the empty space left behind when a better tomorrow dies. The ghosts of the better future that died long ago. Mark Fisher would describe this as "hauntology." Tomorrow sucked out through the past, and we find ourselves somehow missing the future. In the final months of the decade we got Disco Elysium.

Disco Elysium got a bad rap among some folks I know for being a nihilistic, irony-poisoned game, but for me at least that appraisal couldn’t be further from the truth. It reveals itself to be an achingly human, vulnerable, intricate thing about the complete failure (or murder) of past dreams, the desperate hope for the future, and how individuals and communities bridge that gap. Or don’t. Revachol is a place where idea after idea of how to order a society has failed or been crushed by outside forces. It’s a game that has no illusions at all that the past held some perfect form of government or a revolution where everything panned out beautifully, free of contradictions. The game has a rare-for-video-games-of-this-kind interest in the material reasons for why things are how they are, how things developed to be that way, and how the different pieces of a place, a state, and economy function together. The world of the game is, for lack of better words, sturdy.

I should point out that this is a game made in large part by folks from Estonia and is very much a product of a place and a history very different than mine. It has different reference points and perspectives, but it hit my small town America-raised rear end pretty hard, because there’s something shared there. Bong Joon Ho touched on this sort of thing when talking about how audience responses to his film Parasite this year were so similar all over the world. "In the end it's as if we’re all living in this one country of capitalism." We heard the same things about our own game when it came out. I got emails from players in Poland saying they were from the Possum Springs there. Western Pennsylvania isn't Poland or Estonia and South Korea isn't either, but there's a country all of us somehow find ourselves in. And the game depicts the present order of globalized neoliberal capitalism as an overwhelming force laid down, often with straight up guns and cannons, and then branded as the only rational, only possible choice- the final evolution of society. Because what else is there? It's this or utter chaos and ruin, right? It’s what Mark Fisher called Capitalist Realism in his extremely good and short book of the same name. Not only is the current order the way things have to be, but the idea of a worthwhile alternative is laughable, any dream of it almost impossible to conceive of.

In the world of Disco Elysium the end of history isn’t some theoretical concept--it is literally happening to the world, at that moment, ever-growing, devouring everything. The game’s world of factions and ideologies and powers rubbing and crashing into each other paints a rich picture of a world falling apart, a world that is not all that different from ours. Something is going to happen, even if that something is just entropy dissolving everything into nothingness. Harry’s fragmented and dysfunctional psyche clanging around in his head mirrors this. In playing the game you navigate this both internally and externally, his mind and the world itself ever commenting on one another. So many things pushed to the limit, and the sensible middle being a failed ideology all its own. It's not a game that posits the salvation of Revachol can be achieved by taking out a megacorp or a few bad actors or restoring some law and order. The game is interested in how things actually work and knows that there's a chain, a structure that makes people and places and moments what they are. And it shows how all of this poo poo radicalizes people, often in horrible ways, but potentially in very good ones. On a personal level, Harry’s rebuilding of himself is a radical act. Harry letting go of his pathetic past while recovering what makes him worthwhile is a radical act. Understanding the past and moving on to become something else, something better, something alive--that’s radical, and brave. It’s in the fractures in Harry’s mind, and the world around him, the death of something old, the potential for something new, and the space between them.

Did I mention it’s also probably the funniest game I’ve ever played? And, like, unfairly well written? And it’s just extremely fun to run around in? And the story and characters are great and interesting? And the art and music are just dynamite? I’m glossing over all of the other things that make Disco Elysium a landmark, a real before/after moment for games of this sort. I’d need several more pages to talk about all of that. But what hit me the hardest was this perfect capturing of a feeling. When I first read Capitalist Realism I was shocked to find that there were words for some of the things I was feeling. Disco Elysium has that power too. I'm not saying it set out with that project in mind, but it's there.

There’s that one famous quote that’s like, “the old world is dying and the new one struggles to be born, now is the time of monsters,” and hey, do you feel that too? Disco Elysium isn’t trying to pretend it isn't a product of the place and time in history it was made in. It's not naive or rose-colored or particularly sentimental. It knows what the old world was and what the monsters now are. And it's all but screaming for a new world to be born. You can almost hear it. You might find that you’re screaming too.

Paracausal fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 26, 2019

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Question for a second playthrough: If I went full communist but never really talked to Evrart much. I also never talked to Joyce about the pale. About how much am i missing out on? Is there entire side quests I could have done?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

thecluckmeme posted:

Question for a second playthrough: If I went full communist but never really talked to Evrart much. I also never talked to Joyce about the pale. About how much am i missing out on? Is there entire side quests I could have done?
If you didn't find your gun, that is one of the longer sidequests.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
The main ideology in DE was moralism. Which is not similar enough to the liberal ideology. Agreed that capitalism was the only economic idea in DE. Just like reality.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That's lovely, disco you

That was meant to be thank you but perhaps the auto text is wiser than i

itry
Aug 23, 2019

thecluckmeme posted:

Joyce starts you on a quest chain involving drug smuggling. Evrart gives you multiple quests to "help you find your gun".

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

thecluckmeme posted:

There’s not much in the way of “quests” from them but they both have a ton of dialogue so it’s worth talking to them just to get to know the characters. Joyce will also tell you more about the general world that the game takes place in which reveals some very fundamental differences from our reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

itry posted:

Evrart gives you multiple quests to "help you find your gun".

I hear this one's glitched to never finish