Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Can someone clarify this for me? Is the iron cross inherently a fascist symbol or is it one of the ones that the nazis just slapped on poo poo because they like stealing people's symbols and turning them racist? I know the iron cross was around before the nazis were and was used in the first world War and even further back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It wasn't exclusively Nazi, and its use is going to be very context dependent. Typically it's a military / militarism symbol.

The Red Baron famously used it, but Iron Crosses appear on things ranging from the US Army marksman badges to West Coast Choppers.

With stuff like that, consider it a multiplier like the OK sign or the number 88. It's innocuous on its own - but bundled with other fash garbage, it takes on way more significance.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is black magic craft fash or no

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

The Skeleton King posted:

Can someone clarify this for me? Is the iron cross inherently a fascist symbol or is it one of the ones that the nazis just slapped on poo poo because they like stealing people's symbols and turning them racist? I know the iron cross was around before the nazis were and was used in the first world War and even further back.

No. Neo-Nazis like it because it's cross-shaped, appeared on a lot of Nazi military stuff, and won't immediately out them as neo-Nazis, but it's still in use as a legitimate symbol of the German armed forces.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Phi230 posted:

Is black magic craft fash or no

God I hope not, some of his poo poo is cool. Never seen any political stuff from him, just craft stuff. But I haven't watched all his stuff.

It seems like the death threaders are a bunch of Muppets, but drat if being called a death threader isnt the coolest thing.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Actually the best thing is the pathetic obsessive brainwrongs who have spent years making up and repeating lies about the great 'GW Stan' conspiracy against them. That involves literally everyone not in their sad psuedo-cult.
It's like having our very own Bedlam where we can watch people eat their own faeces for tuppence ha'penny.

And actually, yeah those people do share a lot of traits (if not philosophy) with the fashy parts of the GW fanbase when you look at how they behave.

:ironicat:

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Actually the best thing is the pathetic obsessive brainwrongs who have spent years making up and repeating lies about the great 'GW Stan' conspiracy against them. That involves literally everyone not in their sad psuedo-cult.
It's like having our very own Bedlam where we can watch people eat their own faeces for tuppence ha'penny.

And actually, yeah those people do share a lot of traits (if not philosophy) with the fashy parts of the GW fanbase when you look at how they behave.

loving hell

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Catfishenfuego posted:

The best part about the death thread is

Two Beans posted:

I don't recall any "GW Stans" doing what you claim,

Ilor posted:

I definitely remember GW stans doing that,

oh my god get a room

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

fellas, is it fascist to like gw lore?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Cat Face Joe posted:

fellas, is it fascist to like gw lore?
No true fan of gw lore likes gw lore.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

90s Cringe Rock posted:

No true fan of gw lore likes gw lore.

No true fan of GW likes GW.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

GW lore is full of unintended pitfalls that they don't really wanna correct, like how the Imperium has been destroying itself for 10,000 years of Somehow More Inept Than Nazis but at the same time the Empire occupies basically the same territory in the galaxy if we just compare HH to 40k maps and basically just lost the ability to field rayguns, hovercars, and as many mecha

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
left, Arch Warhammer
right, "Sargon of Akkad"

That name never fails to make me roll my eyes

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
It's remarkable how much Arch looks like every lovely nerd I had to deal with as a staffer rolled into one. Can just see him haunting the painting tables all day, pouncing on unsuspecting browsing non-Hams to vomit decades old memes at them and scream at children about THE LORE.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

TheBigAristotle posted:

left, Arch Warhammer
right, "Sargon of Akkad Carl of Swindon"

Fixed that for you.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The Skeleton King posted:

To add to the above posts, it depends on which version of the Iron Cross they're using. The original form that showed up under the Prussians was the cross pattée with flared arms, and you can regard that as a "maybe" depending on context since while the Nazis used it it wasn't exclusively theirs. More obviously fascist is the Balkenkreuz with straight arms, which was briefly used during WW1 but mostly was employed instead by the Wehrmacht. If you're going to bash fash for anything that's one of your first targets. Lastly, the modern Bundeswehr have gone back to a version of the cross pattée as part of their decoration. Unlike the original Iron Cross theirs has somewhat fatter arms, but at least it's innocuous. (I hope?)

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
So, I’m terms of using Nazi co-opted imagery, is the phrase “Black Sun” okay to use? I know that there’s a particular bit of iconography that the Nazis stoke from alchemists that means Black Sun, but if I use the phrase separate from that icon, is still fash dog whistle?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

As long as you're not using it in conjunction with a sonnenrad "Black Sun" as a phrase isn't very fash imho. It comes up in a lot of sci-fi and cult fiction because the concept of a 'dark sun' is one of those pretty common tropes.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

History Comes Inside! posted:

As long as you're not using it in conjunction with a sonnenrad "Black Sun" as a phrase isn't very fash imho. It comes up in a lot of sci-fi and cult fiction because the concept of a 'dark sun' is one of those pretty common tropes.

It is very metal

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Meinberg posted:

So, I’m terms of using Nazi co-opted imagery, is the phrase “Black Sun” okay to use? I know that there’s a particular bit of iconography that the Nazis stoke from alchemists that means Black Sun, but if I use the phrase separate from that icon, is still fash dog whistle?

It's a dog whistle if it's referring to the sonnenrad specifically. The black sun as depicted by the Nazis was invented from whole cloth by Himmler, and is made of 12 Sig runes (as seen in the SS logo).

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

So I have like, a freakishly dense beard, through a freak of genetic inheritance I have the kind of beard that means every week or two a random person asks me for beard growing advice (I guess, do not cut it and wash with shampoo daily?).

'Sargon of Akkad' is such a poo poo that he somehow makes me want to keep growing said beard out and put it into bronze beard rings so that I can out beard him

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Patrat posted:

So I have like, a freakishly dense beard, through a freak of genetic inheritance I have the kind of beard that means every week or two a random person asks me for beard growing advice (I guess, do not cut it and wash with shampoo daily?).

'Sargon of Akkad' is such a poo poo that he somehow makes me want to keep growing said beard out and put it into bronze beard rings so that I can out beard him

It wouldn't be hard, his beard game is pathetic.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
You don't need to outbeard him, he's way outbearded already. The Left has maintained global beard superiority for over a hundred years.

also eh, come on, judging by that photo his beard is C-tier at best.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Liquid Communism posted:

It's a dog whistle if it's referring to the sonnenrad specifically. The black sun as depicted by the Nazis was invented from whole cloth by Himmler, and is made of 12 Sig runes (as seen in the SS logo).

Just seconding this - the Nazi ‘black sun’ has nothing to do with the ‘sol niger’ of alchemy, which is one of the stages of the classic alchemical sequence. It doesn’t have any connection to Bataille’s black sun/solar anus either, though Nazis are definitely full of poo poo.

Basically black suns are fine unless they use the SS design in which case they mean Nazis and only Nazis.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

That is indeed some pretty weak bearding, this was me a year ago and my facial hair has grown only stronger since:

And I am pretty lefty so presumably my soy boy weakness should be sapping my ability to grow facial hair? I think that is how it works. He really should not be allowed to have an online handle with such epic beard power whilst looking like that.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

For the record “sonnenrad” means “sun wheel” ; I have no idea why it’s translated so often as “black sun” except that it’s usually drawn in black?

Dumb rear end fash don’t know this and should be bashed regardless, but even in German “black sun” isn’t a taboo term to my knowledge.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

For the record “sonnenrad” means “sun wheel” ; I have no idea why it’s translated so often as “black sun” except that it’s usually drawn in black?
IIRC it comes from some pulp novel?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

90s Cringe Rock posted:

IIRC it comes from some pulp novel?

Are you thinking of vril?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

TheBigAristotle posted:

left, Arch Warhammer
right, "Sargon of Akkad"

The master race is always the most jank rear end looking white dudes. From Himmler to Arch.

Carl looks like a loving catch in comparison.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Joe Slowboat posted:

Are you thinking of vril?
im always thinking of vril

Wikipedia says it was actually a 90s novel? I was thinking something earlier, but I'm not a true aryan scholar of the deepest nazi occult lore.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TheBigAristotle posted:

left, Arch Warhammer
right, "Sargon of Akkad"

Carl of Swindon is a fairly normal looking dude and Arch looks a man in a state of suspended collapse. Like he got halfway done melting and then someone hit pause.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Wikipedia says it was actually a 90s novel? I was thinking something earlier, but I'm not a true aryan scholar of the deepest nazi occult lore.

The one you're looking for doesn't have "black sun" in the title, and it's impossible to google because there's more than 10 novels published since the '70s that do have "black sun" in the title, including at least one warhammer book.

E: Wait, it is the vril one, isn't it?

E2: Yep, but it looks like it was a much later group of weirdos that just said there was a group of weirdos in the '30s doing whatever weirdo poo poo that something something vril black sun aryan energies something whatever and that's not actually in the vril book/s.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Dec 26, 2019

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Corrode posted:

Carl of Swindon is a fairly normal looking dude and Arch looks a man in a state of suspended collapse. Like he got halfway done melting and then someone hit pause.

The great part is it's clearly filmed from a low angle to make them seem larger and Arch still looks like a bearded baby.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

His hairline is hilarious, he looks constantly like he's wearing a wig that's slipping off the back of his head.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

His hairline is hilarious, he looks constantly like he's wearing a wig that's slipping off the back of his head.

Barber, give me the uh... fish's tail part, with a weedwhacker on the sides, and please don't rinse out the three-day grease

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The master race is always the most jank rear end looking white dudes. From Himmler to Arch.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

"The aryan type. A blond man like Hitler, slim like Göring, tall like Goebells"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gun Jam posted:

"The aryan type. A blond man like Hitler, slim like Göring, tall like Goebells"

What is this from?

The non-jewish half of my family is alsatian and was there for the whole war, so french poo poo with notes or stamps or reprints in GERMAN FRAKTUR are something I've seen a lot of. Just not usually mocking the nazis.

e: also my grandfather apparently became basically a lifelong nazi around 17 and mainly got into it based on the snappy uniforms and parades and being told how cool and good he was compared to those gallic swine and jew dogs, so really he was a living example of how the fascists focus on being aesthetically appealing. I wonder how he felt about his superior german manufacturing canteen and sexily-tailored uniform when he was clanking around Russia and Italy.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 26, 2019

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

“Type” at the time also meant like “eligible young man” and not just literally “type”. That meaning oddly enough survives as a loanword in German today. I don’t think it does anymore though, or if it does you’d probably sound weird and old. (Edgar Allen Ho or another native francophone want to chime in?)

I don’t know why I’m carefully translating things here. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What is this from?
Apparently, a leaflet during WWII, made by one Walter Trier for the British.
TBH, I just remembered the joke, googled it to get the mockery right, and found this reddit thread, so :shrug:

Xiahou Dun posted:

“Type” at the time also meant like “eligible young man” and not just literally “type”. That meaning oddly enough survives as a loanword in German today. I don’t think it does anymore though, or if it does you’d probably sound weird and old. (Edgar Allen Ho or another native francophone want to chime in?)

I don’t know why I’m carefully translating things here. Sorry.

I blame copy-paste.