Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Trevor Hale posted:

Ah. They’re like beer people.

https://twitter.com/bugposting/status/1209666705892478976?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Solice Kirsk posted:

Not at all, I'd say they're more like ale people specifically. You see,

finish the essay op

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I thought tulpas were like some meditative buddhist thing that got co-opted?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I Said No posted:

I thought tulpas were like some meditative buddhist thing that got co-opted?

It is, but most people probably got their only exposure to it from that one X-Files episode with the HOA Golem, so they were basically using it as substitute for Imaginary Friend.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Home Owners Association Golem? I'm intrigued.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
They also probably got it from the Supernatural episode with the not-ghost and the not-Ghost Adventures guys

Solice Kirsk posted:

Home Owners Association Golem? I'm intrigued.

The will of the HOA made manifest to make sure you keep your lawn perfectly manicured and your house decorations within HOA regulations

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Aren't HOAs too WASPy to summon a golem?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Accordion Man posted:

Aren't HOAs too WASPy to summon a golem?

I see you haven't lived in a wealthy jewish community before

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Eox posted:

I would wager that most of the cumjar tulpa caretakers got the idea from that X-Files episode and took off running from there.

Most of them were trolls that you bought hook, line, and sinker to the point where years later you're still quoting them as an example of a real thing that shapes your opinion of actual marginalized groups. The cumjar isn't even real.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I don't know about other posters, but that image isn't what comes to mind when I think of CumJar.

The Rainbow Dash one is what comes to mind.

You know, someday, I hope to be able to store actual, useful, information in my brain. But welp.

E. Also, Lol at referring to Bronies as marginalized groups.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

Most of them were trolls that you bought hook, line, and sinker to the point where years later you're still quoting them as an example of a real thing that shapes your opinion of actual marginalized groups. The cumjar isn't even real.

You're discounting the wave of manufactured "multiple identity disorder" stuff around the same time. Dissociative identity disorder is a real thing, albeit fairly rare. Carefully curated portfolios of "OC DO NOT STEAL" LARPing alters is something else entirely.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Dissociative identity disorder is a real thing, albeit fairly rare.

Most psychiatrists actually don't think it's a real thing, the diagnoses are around a very small amount of practitioners, which makes it kind of suspect. And where it does appear, how it appears depends on how "multiple personalities" show up in media.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

From the outside looking in a lot of psychology just seems like doctors kind of throwing darts at a dart board of medication and seeing if it makes the patient feel better or not.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Most psychiatrists actually don't think it's a real thing, the diagnoses are around a very small amount of practitioners, which makes it kind of suspect. And where it does appear, how it appears depends on how "multiple personalities" show up in media.
While I mostly agree with the first bit, I think it's important to point out that how psychiatric disorders manifest being affected by culture and media doesn't mean it's not "real" or that it's being made up/malingering. For example, after The Truman Show came out, a lot of people with psychotic disorders reported paranoid delusions that were clearly influenced by the movie.

e: ^^^ I mean, kind of. The brain, and mental illness, are incredibly complicated. It's very difficult to treat disorders when we don't have a good understanding of what is causing them and therefore what could help, which is most of them. There is also a ton of variability between people, even those who have the same psychiatric diagnosis. So clinicians basically have to take their best guess what medication, at what dose, will help based on the patient's particular symptoms, and adjust based on how well it works/whether the side effects are tolerable, etc.

Stroop There It Is has a new favorite as of 22:50 on Dec 25, 2019

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Solice Kirsk posted:

From the outside looking in a lot of psychology just seems like doctors kind of throwing darts at a dart board of medication and seeing if it makes the patient feel better or not.

Sure hope they will succeed at some point :smith:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ExplodingSims posted:

E. Also, Lol at referring to Bronies as marginalized groups.

This so much. Not every widely-mocked internet fetish group are just a nice bunch of people figuring out their sexual identities. Sometimes they're just extremely mockable freaks.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's pretty much this. A drug that knocks out depression in one person can just make the next person worse. It gets much harder once you start having to use multiple medications because you've run through the normal ones and now you have to stack them while still managing the side effects. It really sucks for the patient.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Even if this were true, psychiatrists are not the end-all and be-all of mental health professionals. The popular conception of "multiple personalities" is radically different from what dissociative identity disorder actually looks like. For the most part dissociative identity disorder is best thought of as a trauma disorder, and in that lens makes a lot more sense.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Even if this were true, psychiatrists are not the end-all and be-all of mental health professionals. The popular conception of "multiple personalities" is radically different from what dissociative identity disorder actually looks like. For the most part dissociative identity disorder is best thought of as a trauma disorder, and in that lens makes a lot more sense.

Dissociative disorder is well recognized and stems from trauma, it’s the Dissociative [i]identity[i] disorder that’s considered an iffy diagnosis. It’s a subtle distinction but it’s a distinction nonetheless.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Dissociative disorder is well recognized and stems from trauma, it’s the Dissociative [i]identity[i] disorder that’s considered an iffy diagnosis. It’s a subtle distinction but it’s a distinction nonetheless.

There's a lot of bias against the diagnosis due to it being inappropriately popular for a while, and continuing to be inappropriately popular amongst a few practitioners. There is an unfortunate inertia to diagnosis, like bipolar disorder being in vogue during the 1980s and 1990s, including the highly questionable practice of diagnosing it in children. Getting an accurate diagnosis can include a fair amount of luck, and bias for or against certain diagnoses is a major factor in that.

Insisting that "dissociative identity disorder is not a thing" is more a reflection of bias than it is a reasonable judgement of the diagnosis itself.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This so much. Not every widely-mocked internet fetish group are just a nice bunch of people figuring out their sexual identities. Sometimes they're just extremely mockable freaks.

Bronies are the furries of furries

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Hedrigall posted:

Bronies are the furries of furries

almost every time Ive had to interact with bronies its been in the context of them talking about fbi crime statistics and racial difference in IQ lmao

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Stroop There It Is posted:

While I mostly agree with the first bit, I think it's important to point out that how psychiatric disorders manifest being affected by culture and media doesn't mean it's not "real" or that it's being made up/malingering. For example, after The Truman Show came out, a lot of people with psychotic disorders reported paranoid delusions that were clearly influenced by the movie.

Sounds like a culturally bound syndrome.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tardcore posted:

almost every time Ive had to interact with bronies its been in the context of them talking about fbi crime statistics and racial difference in IQ lmao

This is always what comes to mind:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Bronies a marginalized group? Might as well call libertarians marginalized too

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Libertarians should be marginalized

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Who What Now posted:

Libertarians should be marginalized

We can only dream

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Solice Kirsk posted:

This is always what comes to mind:

I'm gonna need some background on this. I can guess what I means but still want some explanation

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm gonna need some background on this. I can guess what I means but still want some explanation

As far as I can remember it was just a brony who didn't understand proper etiquette at friends' weddings. Plural.

Found this link regarding it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SubredditDrama/comments/y47j0/drama_in_rmlp_as_user_shows_up_to_his_friends/

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm absolutely reeling at calling bronies a marginalized group.

edit: i can believe that the rainbow dash cumjar isn't real but the second half of that post had a physical impact

Eox has a new favorite as of 01:06 on Dec 26, 2019

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Eox posted:

I'm absolutely reeling at calling bronies a marginalized group.

edit: i can believe that the rainbow dash cumjar isn't real but the second half of that post had a physical impact

As witch of color I looooove bronies pulling the marginalization card. I then spam their inbox with the phrase “A BRONY VOTED” with a picture of a G1 pony.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

teen witch posted:

As witch of color I looooove bronies pulling the marginalization card. I then spam their inbox with the phrase “A BRONY VOTED” with a picture of a G1 pony.

I accept juggalos and furries as comrades, but I will never support a revolution that includes bronies.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Eox posted:

I accept juggalos and furries as comrades, but I will never support a revolution that includes bronies.

:hai:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Eox posted:

Easily, both have been nothing but nice and sympathetic to legitimate oppression. Bronies...are greasy sex pests an oppressed group?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

teen witch posted:

Easily, both have been nothing but nice and sympathetic to legitimate oppression. Bronies...are greasy sex pests an oppressed group?

Sometimes sex pests get thrown in prison just for being who they are so maybe that counts as opression, idk

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
It is too late. The bronyshirts are already at my door, neighing for blood.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
If I see a brony who isn't a creep and a cretin, I'll gladly accept them. Hell, I know of at least one moderator here, in this very thread, who is a brony and they're one of the coolest, kindest, most compassionate people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've seen some cishet people try to claim "furry" is a queer identity, but they usually get shut down pretty drat quick. Furries are better than most at isolating toxic/harmful parts of their community

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The true marginalized group is the mods of something awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Screaming Idiot posted:

If I see a brony who isn't a creep and a cretin, I'll gladly accept them. Hell, I know of at least one moderator here, in this very thread, who is a brony and they're one of the coolest, kindest, most compassionate people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.

:frogon: