Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

iPad Pro 7.9" (2020)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

hatty posted:

Wouldn’t it be an iPad Pro mini?

Endless Mike posted:

iPad Pro 7.9" (2020)

Yeah those too

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

So, after my 12.9" 1st gen finally died after 3.5 years (from the symptoms it was displaying since day one, which I should have got looked at in year 1 :( ), and the Apple store in Amsterdam wanted €550 to repair it (i.e. give me a refurb), I ended up getting the 3rd gen instead. While I'm a bit grumpy about spending the money, this thing is amazing. And I'm getting the pencil for Christmas, which I hear will make it even better.

Anyone want to buy a 1st gen that won't switch on? :v:

I've been playing with the external drives thing, is there any way to use an encrypted drive or image, possibly with a third party app? I see that (encrypted) DMGs don't work in the Files app. I'm guessing probably not, since it's taken 12 years to get external drives at all :)

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 15, 2019

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Bobstar posted:

So, after my 12.9" 1st gen finally died after 3.5 years (from the symptoms it was displaying since day one, which I should have got looked at in year 1 :( ), and the Apple store in Amsterdam wanted €550 to repair it (i.e. give me a refurb), I ended up getting the 3rd gen instead. While I'm a bit grumpy about spending the money, this thing is amazing. And I'm getting the pencil for Christmas, which I hear will make it even better.

Anyone want to buy a 1st gen that won't switch on? :v:

I've been playing with the external drives thing, is there any way to use an encrypted drive or image, possibly with a third party app? I see that (encrypted) DMGs don't work in the Files app. I'm guessing probably not, since it's taken 12 years to get external drives at all :)

If you think the display works, how much would you honestly want for it? I got my iPad battery replaced this year, and they sent me a replacement model with a bunch of white spots. Unfortunately I managed to crack the glass/digitizer (first time ever) so Apple won’t replace the screen.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Does Apple still sell the original Smart Keyboard for the og IPad Pro 12.9 (2015) ?

It shows as out of stock for me, but I wonder if that’s the same as discontinued forever...? Need one since my old one broke...

Edit: I found some Logitech alternative, but would still like to know if Apple sells them or it’s dead to them

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 20, 2019

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
I'll ask if if hasn't been answered the next time I go back to the Apple store because I can't decide if I want the 11" or the 12.9".

Either one will be a huge upgrade over my 4th-gen (2012) so I am just being dumb but here we are. The 11's overall dimensions are the same as what I'm used to, but what if I'm missing out on the cool big screen? But what if the cool big screen is tough to travel with, but going with the more portable one would just be optimizing it for the times i'm NOT using it which is silly. And I like drawing so a bigger canvas would be better, but I usually keep that to myself and people could rubberneck the screen easier but :supaburn:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

tomanton posted:

I'll ask if if hasn't been answered the next time I go back to the Apple store because I can't decide if I want the 11" or the 12.9".

Either one will be a huge upgrade over my 4th-gen (2012) so I am just being dumb but here we are. The 11's overall dimensions are the same as what I'm used to, but what if I'm missing out on the cool big screen? But what if the cool big screen is tough to travel with, but going with the more portable one would just be optimizing it for the times i'm NOT using it which is silly. And I like drawing so a bigger canvas would be better, but I usually keep that to myself and people could rubberneck the screen easier but :supaburn:

Always get the bigger screen unless you have a clear and blatant need for a smaller tablet. 12.9” is a fantastic size.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

tomanton posted:

The review is the 12.9 is a lot more portable than the prior 12.9 versions. Edge to edge screen probably really helps.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Does anyone have a recommendation for a case or sleeve for the iPad Pro 11 with Smart Keyboard and pencil? I’m travelling quite a lot and I’d prefer some sort of protection whenever I throw it in the bag etc.

eames
May 9, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

Always get the bigger screen unless you have a clear and blatant need for a smaller tablet. 12.9” is a fantastic size.

Hm, I don’t agree with that statement. It depends on what you expect from your tablet.

I bought the first gen 12,9” with your reasoning in mind and used it for a few weeks, forcing myself to use it as the computer replacement that it tried to be. It didnt work out for me - admittedly iOS was more restrictive back then - so I ended up selling it a few months later.

This year I bought the cheap new mini and looking back it was my best tech related purchase in a long time. Something about that form factor feels inherently right to me.
It doesn’t even try to be a computer replacement but still has the specs one would expect from a current device.
Most importantly it is small enough to fit in my pocket, so I often grab it when I leave the house and I’m not sure if I’ll need a computing device or not, despite carrying a plus sized iPhone. I never did that with the large iPad Pro (or any laptop).

In my experience the larger ones are great for those looking for a laptop replacement, the smaller ones are great for those looking for something more casual because they do their work on a computer.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I have the 11” and if I could I’d return it for the 12.9”. It seems big but it’s the same size as a 13” MacBook Pro but thin af. With the 12.9” you can split screen two apps in basically full portrait resolution. Split screening on my 11” is claustrophobic and I try to avoid it as much as I can, preferring to swipe back and forth because I just lose too much space.

That said I only played with the 12.9” at the Apple store. I don’t know how comfortable it would be at home and on my couch. I never use my 11” in my hands fwiw. If I’m on the sofa it’s propped on my legs or on a pillow. If I’m sitting comfortably in bed it’s still on my legs.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I just got the 12.9” moving up from an Air 2 and it is incredible, that’s all I can say.

Still trying to work in the Pencil into my usecase, but work was paying so I have it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
It’s been a little while now and I have to say the Logitech K380 is working out beautifully. Thank you iPad thread!

It’s transformed the way I use my iPad to the point where my MBP is collecting dust and I’m seriously considering just going with an iPad Pro instead of a MacBook if I end up going back to school in September. It’s not a full computer replacement but it’s getting extremely close for my needs. (Mostly text documents, email, iMessage, various Safari things, Awful.app)

Gonna spend the next couple months looking for things that might be awkward on an iPad Pro but I’m most of the way convinced.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
For my money even the new 12.9” is still a little too big. To me the 11” Pro is basically perfect.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
The moment when I first reflexively hit alt-tab on the keyboard and it worked was mind blowing stuff. :stare:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Not sure if this belongs in this thread or the iPhone one.

My wife recently got an iPhone 8 (from a 5s), and ever since, her iPad mini can't send texts. I believe it receives fine, however. How can I fix this?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I just joined team 12.9. Fully the right decision.

Also loving the Logitech keyboard and having cellular on an iPad for the first time.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Lexicon posted:

I just joined team 12.9. Fully the right decision.

Also loving the Logitech keyboard and having cellular on an iPad for the first time.

Cellular on an iPad is a game changer. I’m in it for life now, especially not what I can get unlimited data as a relatively cheap add on with my cell plan.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

hooah posted:

My wife recently got an iPhone 8 (from a 5s), and ever since, her iPad mini can't send texts. I believe it receives fine, however. How can I fix this?

I had the same happen to me when I purchased my XR, when you register/activate your phone all preexisting iMessage and FaceTime accounts will get messed up. Check on both devices if the addresses are correct.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

SlowBloke posted:

I had the same happen to me when I purchased my XR, when you register/activate your phone all preexisting iMessage and FaceTime accounts will get messed up. Check on both devices if the addresses are correct.

By addresses do you mean the iCloud email addresses?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

hooah posted:

By addresses do you mean the iCloud email addresses?

Email addresses and numbers, in my case registering my iPhone removed all my email addresses(leaving the phone numbers) from iMessage/FaceTime. Double check on both devices.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

SlowBloke posted:

Email addresses and numbers, in my case registering my iPhone removed all my email addresses(leaving the phone numbers) from iMessage/FaceTime. Double check on both devices.

Hmm, I checked both apps on both devices and both the iCloud email and her phone number are set to receive messages and calls. Still can't send texts from the iPad.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Sign out of iMessage and sign back in

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
On both of the devices? Just one?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I just snagged an iPad air 3 for Christmas. Is there a good case / keyboard combo for it that isn't insanely expensive?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Logitech slim folio is aces

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I got a new iPad Pro for Christmas and I need a good protective case for it. What’s the current goon-preferred favorite most protective iPad case? I don’t necessarily need a keyboard with it, although I did get an Apple Pencil too so maybe a holder for that wouldn’t be a bad idea (but I’ll happily sacrifice that for extra protection if given a choice).

EDIT: Actually, ditto for iPhone cases? I need to replace my iPhone Xs Max’s screen protector and I might as well get a new case for it too, since I want my iPhone and iPad to match.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 26, 2019

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
TBH just get the apple keyboard case. I don’t know if it’ll actually be a laptop replacement for your needs but it does extremely well with the keyboard.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

TraderStav posted:

Logitech slim folio is aces

Oh, rad. That fits what I need. Thanks!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

MrBond posted:

I don’t know if it’ll actually be a laptop replacement for your needs

It won’t. I’m gonna get an actual laptop later on.

FYI I’m looking for protection first and foremost in a case. Someone in the iPhone thread said Logitech Slim Folio Pros are supposed to be good, but I’m wondering if they make a matching iPhone version. Yes, having my iPad and iPhone match is important to me. Because I am a lizard-brained dummy like that. DON’T JUDGE ME!

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Weird question. But is there a way to force the thumbnails of apps in the multitasking view to refresh?

I’m not even sure how to fully describe it, but somehow when switching between apps, the Messages app on my iPad will *always* display a freeze frame from the message thread with my ex from the weekend our relationship went to poo poo about two months ago. Then if you tap into the Messages app to load it, it’ll immediately switch back to the current message threads from present day. Force closing the app doesn’t change the behavior, and rebooting the iPad also doesn’t change the behavior. This has also persisted through several iOS updates.

What’s weird is this isn’t even from the final messages with my ex, rather a week prior to our last communication when we split. And... obviously after a couple months I’m a little tired of being reminded of it every time I try to app switch on my iPad. No other installed app behaves like this either.

My only idea at this point is to wipe the iPad and then restore from a backup, but I’d rather not deal with that if there’s something easier I’m missing.

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 27, 2019

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

That’s the universe giving you a message... just call the ex

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think if you reboot it wipes all those previews

Fuckin rough tho, sorry bud

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

How good is the Logitech Slim Folio Pro as far as drop and impact protection? Especially compared to something like an OtterBox?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My brother is still rocking the 1st gen 12.9 iPad Pro but his pro keyboard finally died. Apple does not seem to sell them anymore for that model so is there a good option for him to buy nowadays? A new keyboard and/or case would be ideal.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My brother is still rocking the 1st gen 12.9 iPad Pro but his pro keyboard finally died. Apple does not seem to sell them anymore for that model so is there a good option for him to buy nowadays? A new keyboard and/or case would be ideal.

I just literally posted about this a few days ago.

Short version is he’s out of luck with Apple, will have to scrounge amazon or eBay for Logitech alternatives that still fit the og pro

I ordered one but hasn’t arrived, so I can’t recommend it... it’s not even brand new it’s refurbished

Edit: it’s sad because the original pro is a loving tank, and still drat fast for daily use

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Look long enough on eBay and you'll probably find a reasonably priced used Smart keyboard for the first gen 12.9. And they're old enough now that it's unlikely you'll get one of the 'bad ones'.

I've bought a couple of open box Smart covers on eBay and have had good experiences with them.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
In case anyone was curious about my Messages app thumbnail question - wipe and restore from backup did the trick.

What a poorly timed bug.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

Got some more information about this one: she can text at least some numbers fine, but she definitely can't text me from the iPad. Her phone works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

hooah posted:

Got some more information about this one: she can text at least some numbers fine, but she definitely can't text me from the iPad. Her phone works fine.

The last time I had a similar issue it was actually the recipient’s problem. Try signing out of iCloud and then on again and see if that solves it.