Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

kemikalkadet posted:

Not sure whether to keep the tier 9 for a while since I only played 2 games with the top gun and didn't get a chance to really enjoy it, or sell it and bump the crew down to the tier 8 that I still have.

The T9 is actually pretty good, worth keeping IMO. I sold it but I will probably one day train up a crew and re buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Ok for real. Who does not have any of the Tier 8 tanks from the lootboxes and are from the US. (Sorry UK / other goons)

I have one spot left and I would at least like to let santa know before he drunkenly delivers your boxes by Friday on who they are going to before im you know. Not banned.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Katamari Democracy posted:

Ok for real. Who does not have any of the Tier 8 tanks from the lootboxes and are from the US. (Sorry UK / other goons)

I have one spot left and I would at least like to let santa know before he drunkenly delivers your boxes by Friday on who they are going to before im you know. Not banned.

why would we settle for gifted lootboxen when we could get a golden WTF100 tomorrow?!

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Hellsau posted:

why would we settle for gifted lootboxen when we could get a golden WTF100 tomorrow?!

Because its Christmas and I like playing Santa.

Also some goon here does not have every tier 8 tanks from the loot boxes and I want to give a small ray of hope.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I guess I'll take some, if Santa's coming anyway! If it's just me though then I'll be fine.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Captain Blaargh

Mesadoran

Spunkrocket (Cannon Fodder)

MariusLecter

Redeye Flight

You guys will have my Blessing this coming Friday.

For everyone else I hope you guys have a great Christmas and hope to see you guys in the new year.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Do goons do premades for this from time to time? My dad loves this drat game so I'd like to be reasonably competent in positioning and whatnot that only comes from somebody telling me where to go.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

The "most researched" list is weird.

I'm not surprised about Paris but Ensk & Himmels? :confused: [Side note: I had Mines & Paris blocked, but removed the latter in exchange for Westfield, because while Mines is too tiny for higher tiers, Paris has generally been "ok" for the tanks I've played recently. I often have a terrible time on Westfield, however, as I usually end up on it in a heavy tank (e.g. Mauschen) with 3 arty per team.]

The "most popular" lists are very telling.

And the IS-3A note is hardly a surprise considering how they completely overhauled that thing.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Those two-free-skill commanders are :krad: in combination with the BiA/+1 zero skill crewmembers. My Italian medium crew is 4-5 skills with the books and I've barely played with them.

They are indeed nice (or any crewmembers that can instantly be trained as Commanders with 6th) however I'm at the point where I really don't need new crews for unresearched tank lines. Plus, next year they're going to overhaul the crew skill system so all of the crew XP will be refunded to be reallocated, hopefully with built-in 6th sense.

TheLawinator posted:

Do goons do premades for this from time to time? My dad loves this drat game so I'd like to be reasonably competent in positioning and whatnot that only comes from somebody telling me where to go.

As in team battles/skirmishes? Not really anymore, although you can get plenty of advice from platooning with some of us more experienced players.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Atomizer posted:

The "most researched" list is weird.

I'm not surprised about Paris but Ensk & Himmels? :confused: [Side note: I had Mines & Paris blocked, but removed the latter in exchange for Westfield, because while Mines is too tiny for higher tiers, Paris has generally been "ok" for the tanks I've played recently. I often have a terrible time on Westfield, however, as I usually end up on it in a heavy tank (e.g. Mauschen) with 3 arty per team.]

The "most popular" lists are very telling.

And the IS-3A note is hardly a surprise considering how they completely overhauled that thing.

They are indeed nice (or any crewmembers that can instantly be trained as Commanders with 6th) however I'm at the point where I really don't need new crews for unresearched tank lines. Plus, next year they're going to overhaul the crew skill system so all of the crew XP will be refunded to be reallocated, hopefully with built-in 6th sense.

As in team battles/skirmishes? Not really anymore, although you can get plenty of advice from platooning with some of us more experienced players.

I have ensk on block because it is waay too small for high tiers. And way too open as well. Himmels has a lot of shelter to work around unlike ensk. My other block is the asian map. Something border.

As for most played, I expected it to be mostly premiums. For the normal player, they are going to be plugging away at a premium or two way more than the grind just to afford the next tank.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The final tank of the Advent Calendar is the VK75.01k.

Did anyone ask for this?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Der Shovel posted:

Did anyone ask for this?

https://tanks.gg/compare/vk-7501-k?t=vk-10001-p

This appears to be a pretty bad tank, especially compared to the other overpowered tier 8 premiums. It's not even notably better than the tech tree VK. 5 degrees of gun depression is rough and that reload is extreme.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh and cash money only, not for gold.

The official forums are up in arms because they didn’t get the IS-3a/Defender/E-25/Double Barrel Tank like they’d convinced themselves they would.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Hellsau posted:

https://tanks.gg/compare/vk-7501-k?t=vk-10001-p

This appears to be a pretty bad tank, especially compared to the other overpowered tier 8 premiums. It's not even notably better than the tech tree VK. 5 degrees of gun depression is rough and that reload is extreme.

it's the perfect gift for the average pubbie, with that alpha they can land 2 shots then type 'I did my bit' into chat after they died and also the armor will keep them alive long enough to do it

but nobody actually expected a gold waffle or type 59 did they

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

I got that twitch / prime strv 81 and it's just the tech tree centurion which isn't bad but I dunno at least I got another tankgirl and a camo which looks fabulous

oh yeah lets play our xmas song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAhDe8dwsIE

merry xmas tankgoons

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

quote:

Here it is, our final Advent Calendar offer, and what an offer! The chance to get your hands on a tank as hard-punching as VK 75.01 (K) is a true Christmas gift. Grab one of the packages below and this fantastic vehicle, known for having the best alpha damage of its tier and class, will finally be yours.

Shame no one told the blurb guy that (390*2) > 490.

I've never heard of this tank either, although I haven't played in the last year, but it doesn't seem very special.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I think that's WG's only mistake here. Advertising this as a RARE special surprise (the "rare" was taken out of the copy text later) and getting people riled up, then selling a tank that was apparently released in August 2019?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Lol you can't even buy it for gold, why would anybody buy that when the Lowe and E-75 TS seem better? I would be annoyed if the rest of the event wasn't so good.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Leave it to WG to somehow gently caress up their last day :allears:

Thank you Katamari, knowing my luck gold will be siphoned from my account.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The tanks branch of WG just got jealous because the Warships people were getting all the attention. "All publicity is good publicity!!1!1!"

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
What even was the boats event? I logged on a couple of times and it just seems like there were some new loot boxes to buy? I didn't really notice an event at all.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Der Shovel posted:

Did anyone ask for this?

I am glad I didnt get my hopes up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=827-DRcTMsA

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Ahahahahaha VK K for money only. Jokes on them good chance I would have burned gold for that dumb tank, but no way am I dropping cash. Probably just get a few more boxes at some point.

And merry Christmas to all of you still playing this Russian misery simulator and to those who have escaped!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Dravs posted:

What even was the boats event? I logged on a couple of times and it just seems like there were some new loot boxes to buy? I didn't really notice an event at all.

Long story short: leading up to December they showed off a really cool new feature where you completed directives to build a T10 premium cruiser, the Puerto Rico. It was visually very attractive because in the virtual dock yard you get to watch the ship being built in real time, and they also actively pushed CCs to promote how the event would be achievable and quite chill, and it was promoted as essentially a Christmas present.

Then after the CC videos went out, they hiked up all the requirements to ludicrous levels (for just one sub-mission in of the seven directives you have to complete, you'll basically need to grind enough free XP to level a ship tree from 1 to 10 nearly twice, and there are many other such insane XP sinks in there as well), making finishing the mission just by playing practically if not literally impossible. But don't worry, you can buy boosters for 24 000 gold to speed up the process! And you can buy a special premium ship that gives you access to FAR easier missions for only 30€! And if you still can't finish, sunk cost fallacy will ensure you'll pay 15-36 000 gold to finish the ship.

Unsurprisingly the players revolted, and so did the CCs who felt Wargaming had intentionally lied to them and used them to promote a version of the event they knew would never go live. Wargaming's response was essentially "sorry you got offended". Then, the CEO of Lesta (who make WoWS) came out to say the event was Wargaming's gift to people who play the game 24/7 due to being unemployed or mentally/physically disabled, and everyone else could just buy the ship, and to stop complaining: after all he himself was buying the ship with his corporate credit card.

THEN Wargaming's "head of influencer relations", an official employee, came out in response to Reddit's challenge for someone at Wargaming to complete the event for free, and posted videos of himself completing the event by buying all the boosters and then the ship for gold, literally saying it was free for him because he got all the gold for being an employee heh heh checkmate theists I am very smart, and then by directly insulting players who called him out on it.

E: Oh and the "head of influencer relations" has already started making blatant Twitter sock puppet accounts to post comments supporting him (in 100% the same voice he normally uses) and to fight more with people calling him out.

In short, they could not have hosed up more if they actively tried.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 25, 2019

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
And the ship was terrible right?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Honestly it's not a terrible ship by all accounts, it's just NOWHERE NEAR as good as it would need to be to pay 230 dollars to get the drat thing. Especially since its tier 9 counterpart is a free XP ship and can be bought for seventy dollars.

It's an incredible fuckup, because they ARE still giving out a tier 7 ship for grind like they have for the last three years--the Gorizia, that 30 euro ship which was mentioned earlier. And that one would be entirely achievable, and it's not a bad ship. But all the focus is rightly on the Puerto Rico, which has been a completely avoidable public relations disaster.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It's a worse version of a ship (the Alaska) that has been on sale in the premium shop and for free XP* for a few years.

* if you do the grind you'll get enough free XP to also unlock the Alaska, which costs 1 million free XP.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Der Shovel posted:

Long story short: leading up to December they showed off a really cool new feature where you completed directives to build a T10 premium cruiser, the Puerto Rico. It was visually very attractive because in the virtual dock yard you get to watch the ship being built in real time, and they also actively pushed CCs to promote how the event would be achievable and quite chill, and it was promoted as essentially a Christmas present.

Then after the CC videos went out, they hiked up all the requirements to ludicrous levels (for just one of the seven directives you have to complete, you'll basically need to grind enough free XP to level a ship tree from 1 to 10 nearly twice, and there are many other such insane XP sinks in there as well), making finishing the mission just by playing practically if not literally impossible. But don't worry, you can buy boosters for 24 000 gold to speed up the process! And you can buy a special premium ship that gives you access to FAR easier missions for only 30€! And if you still can't finish, sunk cost fallacy will ensure you'll pay 15-36 000 gold to finish the ship.

Unsurprisingly the players revolted, and so did the CCs who felt Wargaming had intentionally lied to them and used them to promote a version of the event they knew would never go live. Wargaming's response was essentially "sorry you got offended". Then, the CEO of Lesta (who make WoWS) came out to say the event was Wargaming's gift to people who play the game 24/7 due to being unemployed or mentally/physically disabled, and everyone else could just buy the ship, and to stop complaining: after all he himself was buying the ship with his corporate credit card.

THEN Wargaming's "head of influencer relations", an official employee, came out in response to Reddit's challenge for someone at Wargaming to complete the event for free, and posted videos of himself completing the event by buying all the boosters and then the ship for gold, literally saying it was free for him because he got all the gold for being an employee heh heh checkmate theists I am very smart, and then by directly insulting players who called him out on it.

E: Oh and the "head of influencer relations" has already started making blatant Twitter sock puppet accounts to post comments supporting him (in 100% the same voice he normally uses) and to fight more with people calling him out.

In short, they could not have hosed up more if they actively tried.

I take back every bad word I ever said about WoT's managers. No, I don't.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Rincewinds posted:

I take back every bad word I ever said about WoT's managers. No, I don't.

remember when they had an extended session for an alternate play mode where they gave everyone like a dozen rental tier ten tanks, and then after the test they implemented the alternate play mode but substantially and demonstrably worse from a gameplay perspective and gave out three rental tier ten tanks instead and also put in missions for an extremely overpowered tier ten special tank as an end reward, but the missions were literally impossible without thirty people putting in a concerted effort and even then with thirty people trying their best to get one person the mission done it still wasn't 100% to get the loving mission done and there were thirty of the missions?

yeah that was pretty fuckin' bad

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Finally got around to throwing a crew onto the E 75 TS. And this tank is pretty drat good.

Maybe it has that buff for any new tanks the first couple rounds throws you with higher tier players but this tank I was able to perform pretty good in at Tier 7-9 games.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Finally got around to throwing a crew onto the E 75 TS. And this tank is pretty drat good.

Maybe it has that buff for any new tanks the first couple rounds throws you with higher tier players but this tank I was able to perform pretty good in at Tier 7-9 games.

It looks more like a medium than a heavy.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Been playing the T57 pretty heavily trying to get a mission done, it honestly is not bad and better than what people think.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

BadLlama posted:

Been playing the T57 pretty heavily trying to get a mission done, it honestly is not bad and better than what people think.

If you can dump your clip it is a loving monster. It's a shame they nerfed the gun back in the day...

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BadLlama posted:

The 50B does its job better because the 50B hull owns and HEAT blows. But yeah the T57 is fine, it's just....why did they nerf the T57 and never bothered nerfing the TVP T 50/51 or Skoda T 50.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

^^ No Idea why they felt the T57 needed more adjusting, and I probably agree I like the 50B more.

Educational video, if you are the IS7 don't do this when you are facing a HEAT spamming turd, if you are the heat spamming turd do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7RB3iZVnbE

and I found this kill just some funny regular FPS kind of kill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNZ9x9r2HT8

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 26, 2019

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hellsau posted:

remember when they had an extended session for an alternate play mode where they gave everyone like a dozen rental tier ten tanks, and then after the test they implemented the alternate play mode but substantially and demonstrably worse from a gameplay perspective and gave out three rental tier ten tanks instead and also put in missions for an extremely overpowered tier ten special tank as an end reward, but the missions were literally impossible without thirty people putting in a concerted effort and even then with thirty people trying their best to get one person the mission done it still wasn't 100% to get the loving mission done and there were thirty of the missions?

yeah that was pretty fuckin' bad

Was this the T-22 thing?

Mesadoram posted:

It looks more like a medium than a heavy.

It's basically the E50 at tier 8.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Atomizer posted:

Was this the T-22 thing?

It was the T-22 thing. Rampage mode was uninspired but could have been a good game mode from what I played of it on the first test, and the full release was horrendous.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I was never really great at the game, and I haven't played very much at all for the past few years so I've lost a lot of what little skill I ever had, but I want to learn.

Can you guys point me towards good resources? I've been watching Quickybaby's videos, and he often explains what he's doing and why in a helpful way, but there's still tons I don't know, one of the big ones being "what should I be doing in a given map". I realize the answer depends greatly on the team compositions and my vehicle, but there's got to be SOMETHING out there, because god knows the game itself isn't very conductive to learning, because when you make a mistake you usually die seconds later.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Well the first thing I do is to always ask myself where I should go to make the most impact. If you are sitting in base waiting for tanks to show up so you can shoot them, your team is effectively 1 tank down. If there are 3 tanks sitting at a choke point when only 1 tank is needed, your team is wasting 2 tanks etc. If you see a position where you can help a flank push by setting up a crossfire or stopping the enemy team getting behind your front line you should take it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sure, my big problem is knowing when I'm far ahead enough / flanking enough to be effective WITHOUT suddenly getting myself loving murdered in 0,5 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Der Shovel posted:

I was never really great at the game, and I haven't played very much at all for the past few years so I've lost a lot of what little skill I ever had, but I want to learn.

Can you guys point me towards good resources? I've been watching Quickybaby's videos, and he often explains what he's doing and why in a helpful way, but there's still tons I don't know, one of the big ones being "what should I be doing in a given map". I realize the answer depends greatly on the team compositions and my vehicle, but there's got to be SOMETHING out there, because god knows the game itself isn't very conductive to learning, because when you make a mistake you usually die seconds later.

Skill is very good at the game and usually explains what he is doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6HJq32Sq_o