Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

G0RF posted:

(I see Vanduul brandishing ceremonial spiky stickswords that double as ignition keys for spaceships and I upvote!)

Honestly, if they’re actually going for this, there’s a slim chance this could turn out so-bad-it’s-good

(Not sure Chris would like the ignominy, but reckon he’d take it...)

e: tane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pixelate posted:

It’s a Christmas miracle!

Evil gets it’s comeuppance!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Pixelate posted:

Honestly, if they’re actually going for this, there’s a slim chance this could turn out so-bad-it’s-good

(Not sure Chris would like the ignominy, but reckon he’d take it...)

e: tane

nothing wrong with being cheesy but its regrettable when its the limit of your skills

also when you spend $50 million hiring mark hamill when you could have spend $500 hiring joe hammsitup

e: have we seen any sign of any kind of villain? or are the Vandals just Bad Dudes that everyone postures against?

Freespace Shivans didnt require a villain per se because they were a primordial force of vengeance. But you can only get so much mileage out of a faceless enemy. Even Freespace 2 had Aiken Bosch. The Borg had Locutus, and so on.

ee: I refuse to recognize the Borg Queen as legitimate

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 25, 2019

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Popete posted:

But hey, I don't know game development.

Coincidentally, CIG does not either

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Hannibal Rex posted:

Gorf did a pretty good writeup about SC and the gaming press, but unfortunately, I can't find it anymore since the subforum got nuked.

It seems pretty obvious that (parts of) the gaming press are paid shills, either directly, or by getting free ships for the grey market. Gamestar is really egregious in that regard, and I wonder if they're going to survive the backlash once SC goes under. But I'm sure it's a sweet gig in the meantime.

Boy, that was an effort post from another era!

The gaming press largely isn’t anymore. I wrote that one back when Kotaku US kinda still mattered. But they got sold off to Univision with the rest of the Gawker satellite brands in Summer 2016. Kotaku UK ended up dropping their bombs on CIG a month later, but then they splintered and Keza MacDonald moved on to The Guardian.

There are a few real journos left, I guess, but they seem largely satisfied writing in-depth postmortems. The real action seems to be with YouTube journalists these days. Good, bad, ugly, they’re driving a lot more narratives / controversies / discussions than the clickbait blog warriors of old. Rags like Gamestar, PC Gamer and so many other “big names” in game news just seem more like extensions / assets of industry. Easier money there than in the shoeleather and Rolodex stuff, now more than ever.

ggangensis posted:

Then I've noticed some bigger outlets like PC Gamer, BBC (and Gamestar, of course) covered SC in a rather unreflected (and positive) way, which puzzles me. CR is wasting tremendous amounts of "gamer money" since 8 years with basically nothing of substance to show for it and uses unheard of macro-transactions to support their "development as a service"-model which financed him a new 5 million dollar home (again, with no real product). This is way worse than any early access scam or scummy EA-microtransaction-move could ever be, while actively luring people into this with predatory marketing and straight lies. If the industry adopts that model everyone would be off worse, so I really can't understand why CIG isn't getting the "Daikatana/Duke Nukem Forever/Fallout76"-treatment by the gaming media? As a side note, in the worst case people blew maybe ~200 bucks for some collectors edition, but that would be it. In SC-land this doesn't buy much, though.

The “Gaming Press” mostly ignored CIG in 2019. The two hardest hitting CIG stories of 2019 were:

FORBES: Exclusive: The Saga Of 'Star Citizen,' A Video Game That Raised $300 Million—But May Never Be Ready To Play

And

YOUTUBE - Sunk Cost Galaxy - Chapter 7, The Lady Macbeth

Both works pick up on themes The Escapist (and Derek Smart) first exposed back in 2015 (toxicity / nepotism / dysfunctional culture) but where The Escapist crafted a narrative of organizational deviance from anonymous sources, Forbes and Bootcha put a lot of disturbing, honest-to-goodness evidence on the table.

Forbes hit surprisingly hard by including scary glimpses of Chris & Sandi’s prior lives through police reports and restraining orders. It felt a little out of bounds, though they may have felt a license to dig by virtue of the $200 million stakes and Calder family involvement. (It certainly helped clarify the “when Chris met Sandi” storyline, for those paying close attention. It all makes a lot more dismal sense now.)

Even so, it was a brutal read and probably didn’t put smiles on the faces of the Calders once it crossed their desks.

“We gave $46 million to THESE NUTCASES?!”

Where Forbes told a new trainwreck story for the business class readers, Bootcha’s latest hit far closer to home. His whirlwind tour of CIG archival history demonstrated just how dishonest Chris and Sandi have been with their very own community over the last 7 years. It was surprisingly effective for a heretical work:

A citizen reacting in real time posted:

~~Iam 30 minutes in and so far well made video with very interesting stuff in it. BUT it could help a lot of there would be even less snarky poo poo in it. Nice to see he adressed that mid video and reduced it to 0. Well besides bringing that lighting scene up every now and then. But well imho its so little stupid butthurt stuff its tolerable ~~ But mentioning derek will make a lot of people dismiss this outright. I mean he was right 1 out of 10 times overall. Why is he so relevant? To piss people off... if you want to help people forming a new viewpoint maybe dont try to piss them off ?

Still nice video so far.

After this video i can only say one thing. This thing really turned into a scam. Maybe not as big as some people make it out to be. But this poo poo alone proves it and if someone can deny it or some up with a valid factual counter argument please be me guest.

130 Upvotes, 522 Comments, with white knights crushed and skeptics upvoted.

Those two works are the bulk of the “Games Journalism” that the gaming world got about CIG in 2019. And neither came from actual paid “Games Journalists”.

The rest of the coverage was puff and fluff stuff like BBC Click’s regurgitations, Gamerstar’s deja vu poo, advertorials from Newsweek and Polygon, and other garbage. I think there’s a decent circumstantial case to be made that Forbes may have made it harder for Sandi to stay at CIG, and then Bootcha came along and made it impossible. (Note that Sandi is quoted in the Forbes piece, and credited by Chris as the mastermind behind their brilliant marketing. But then by CitizenCon she’s not mentioned at all, and Chris credits others with pulling off the event...)

So, for as little “Games Journalism” as we got in 2019, the pieces that mattered may have REALLY mattered. They may even have done with The Escapist attempted and couldn’t do — make it impossible for the lunatic pretender Sandi to remain visibly in leadership.

Chris is being more cautious than ever, which means less of the viral trainwreck coverage he so easily earned all throughout 2015-2018. I think nearly everyone in the games media, such as it is, has settled opinions about Star Citizen by now, but none are spoiling for a fight, they’re just waiting for either games to launch that they can review or for the business to implode, so they can write their snarky eulogies and move on to covering the low-effort bread and butter fare that’s more fun to write. Stuff about actual games and weird crap like that.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 25, 2019

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i was browsing a :reddit: argument about star citizen some time ago - the topic that was prominent in the Games forum - and noted a guy asking 'Where's your evidence?' to someone badmouthing Sandi and the job she's doing. I posted The Lady Macbeth and that poste replied (in essence) 'That's not evidence, I asked for evidence!'.

A big downside to youtubes and video journalism is that they are just so much harder to quote than text articles... and The Lady Macbeth in particular relied on building an overwhelming pile of evidence over time rather than SHOCKING REVEALS. It does not penetrate some fans consciousness because they arn't willing to put enough effort in to view the evidence that contradicts their stance. Ironclad as they can be, the people that Youtube exposes convince are those that already doubt the project enough to give a long youtube a honest hearing.

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

junan_paalla posted:

Didn't cig settle their situation with the studio that produced their previous trailers, just in time for this one?

huh

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

i was browsing a :reddit: argument about star citizen some time ago - the topic that was prominent in the Games forum - and noted a guy asking 'Where's your evidence?' to someone badmouthing Sandi and the job she's doing. I posted The Lady Macbeth and that poste replied (in essence) 'That's not evidence, I asked for evidence!'.

A big downside to youtubes and video journalism is that they are just so much harder to quote than text articles... and The Lady Macbeth in particular relied on building an overwhelming pile of evidence over time rather than SHOCKING REVEALS. It does not penetrate some fans consciousness because they arn't willing to put enough effort in to view the evidence that contradicts their stance. Ironclad as they can be, the people that Youtube exposes convince are those that already doubt the project enough to give a long youtube a honest hearing.

Not everyone has the time to watch in-depth material, for sure. Having had a ton of reddit arguments over the years, I found myself often quoting older CIG events as “proof” of things, to only moderate success.

Recognizing that some people need quickly digestible stuff, a lot of the material I put out there over the last few years was stuff like timelines, Infographics, charts and eventual short video compendiums. If I get in an argument about Chris lying about Squadron or whatever, it’s pretty easy to link to “The Truth About Squadron 42” and prevail in the course of a two minute watch. They get 4 years of lies all in chronological order and Chris absolving himself for the mess as a punchline.

There is other stuff out there like that - shorter, punchier stuff. It takes different media for different audiences, but even so, not every mind is open for debate no matter what the mouth says...

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

G0RF posted:

Boy, that was an effort post from another era!

The gaming press largely isn’t anymore. I wrote that one back when Kotaku US kinda still mattered. But they got sold off to Univision with the rest of the Gawker satellite brands in Summer 2016. Kotaku UK ended up dropping their bombs on CIG a month later, but then they splintered and Keza MacDonald moved on to The Guardian.

There are a few real journos left, I guess, but they seem largely satisfied writing in-depth postmortems. The real action seems to be with YouTube journalists these days. Good, bad, ugly, they’re driving a lot more narratives / controversies / discussions than the clickbait blog warriors of old. Rags like Gamestar, PC Gamer and so many other “big names” in game news just seem more like extensions / assets of industry. Easier money there than in the shoeleather and Rolodex stuff, now more than ever.

The “Gaming Press” mostly ignored CIG in 2019. The two hardest hitting CIG stories of 2019 were:

FORBES: Exclusive: The Saga Of 'Star Citizen,' A Video Game That Raised $300 Million—But May Never Be Ready To Play

And

YOUTUBE - Sunk Cost Galaxy - Chapter 7, The Lady Macbeth

Both works pick up on themes The Escapist (and Derek Smart) first exposed back in 2015 (toxicity / nepotism / dysfunctional culture) but where The Escapist crafted a narrative of organizational deviance from anonymous sources, Forbes and Bootcha put a lot of disturbing, honest-to-goodness evidence on the table.

Forbes hit surprisingly hard by including scary glimpses of Chris & Sandi’s prior lives through police reports and restraining orders. It felt a little out of bounds, though they may have felt a license to dig by virtue of the $200 million stakes and Calder family involvement. (It certainly helped clarify the “when Chris met Sandi” storyline, for those paying close attention. It all makes a lot more dismal sense now.)

Even so, it was a brutal read and probably didn’t put smiles on the faces of the Calders once it crossed their desks.

“We gave $46 million to THESE NUTCASES?!”

Where Forbes told a new trainwreck story for the business class readers, Bootcha’s latest hit far closer to home. His whirlwind tour of CIG archival history demonstrated just how dishonest Chris and Sandi have been with their very own community over the last 7 years. It was surprisingly effective for a heretical work:

130 Upvotes, 522 Comments, with white knights crushed and skeptics upvoted.

Those two works are the bulk of the “Games Journalism” that the gaming world got about CIG in 2019. And neither came from actual paid “Games Journalists”.

The rest of the coverage was puff and fluff stuff like BBC Click’s regurgitations, Gamerstar’s deja vu poo, advertorials from Newsweek and Polygon, and other garbage. I think there’s a decent circumstantial case to be made that Forbes may have made it harder for Sandi to stay at CIG, and then Bootcha came along and made it impossible. (Note that Sandi is quoted in the Forbes piece, and credited by Chris as the mastermind behind their brilliant marketing. But then by CitizenCon she’s not mentioned at all, and Chris credits others with pulling off the event...)

So, for as little “Games Journalism” as we got in 2019, the pieces that mattered may have REALLY mattered. They may even have done with The Escapist attempted and couldn’t do — make it impossible for the lunatic pretender Sandi to remain visibly in leadership.

Chris is being more cautious than ever, which means less of the viral trainwreck coverage he so easily earned all throughout 2015-2018. I think nearly everyone in the games media, such as it is, has settled opinions about Star Citizen by now, but none are spoiling for a fight, they’re just waiting for either games to launch that they can review or for the business to implode, so they can write their snarky eulogies and move on to covering the low-effort bread and butter fare that’s more fun to write. Stuff about actual games and weird crap like that.

Thanks, I like these wide-perspective posts!

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

G0RF posted:

Not everyone has the time to watch in-depth material, for sure. Having had a ton of reddit arguments over the years, I found myself often quoting older CIG events as “proof” of things, to only moderate success.

Recognizing that some people need quickly digestible stuff, a lot of the material I put out there over the last few years was stuff like timelines, Infographics, charts and eventual short video compendiums. If I get in an argument about Chris lying about Squadron or whatever, it’s pretty easy to link to “The Truth About Squadron 42” and prevail in the course of a two minute watch. They get 4 years of lies all in chronological order and Chris absolving himself for the mess as a punchline.

There is other stuff out there like that - shorter, punchier stuff. It takes different media for different audiences, but even so, not every mind is open for debate no matter what the mouth says...

the thing that bums me most is the fact that fans took down the scqa site that hosted all the 10ftc. if someone asked will SC have x?. I could just search that transcript database and come up with a answer that was yes.
and i was fool that i didn't archive all the video moments. So many things have been lost to annals of time already, For example some of batgirl interview's with ben. Where he talked about sq42 in detail. I just cant find that poo poo anymore and there is just too many videos to comb if i even wanted to find it :(

and even current stuff will be forgotten in decade or two. There is just too much comedy.
Ppl will know what star citizen was but they wont know what made it so drat funny.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Hmmm, I wonder...

quote:

The Calders general manager who oversaw the finance giant’s relationship with CI`g, came to believe that Calder money intended for game marketing was instead used for the development. “[Roberts’] energy and attention and some of the funds were siphoned off for himself,” Calders manager says. “The CI`g investment has to be looked at as largely a failure.”

Roberts concedes that the Calders were frustrated with the time he spent on the game dev but says funds used for it were appropriate because they came from the Calders purchase of the minority stake, with the proceeds earmarked for general business purposes that included a mansion. Either way, the Calders acquired full control of CI`g in 2021, and Roberts left the company. It would be another two years before Star Citizen hit stores as a much smaller game than envisioned.

Scary.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Think they mean Turbulent. Agent had this to say years back:

TheAgent posted:

and I know, you're saying, BUT THEAGENT, TURBULENT IS JUST THE WEBPAGE, they don't do demos or videos or anything to do with star citizen oh wait holy poo poo

quote:

Turbulent - Job Opening
Lumberyard / CryEngine Capture Artist - 6 months (Temp)

We are looking for a Lumberyard / CryEngine cinematic artist to join the Star Citizen project! If you have a creative spirit coupled with expertise in Lumberyard / CryEngine, we want to hear from you!

The candidate will be required to supervise and capture the Star Citizen game sequences that will be used for advertising purposes and the creation of game trailers. Primarily, the candidate will act as director and director of the game within the game, applying real world cinematographic principles - such as image selection, depth of field / field of view, camera movement to get the best possible images. We need someone who can push the boundaries of the game, accepting specific instructions when necessary.
I'm hearing that they did the entire sq42 vertical slice

lol holy poo poo

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Beexoffel posted:

Thanks, I like these wide-perspective posts!

Absolutely, great post. Kudos to G0RF.

In a way it's sad that critical in-depth reporting needs to come from non-gaming journalists and is therefore being dismissed as lies or flat out ignored by most citizens.

On the other hand, we had positive press about Theranos and Fyre Festival before it all came crashing down, so maybe it is just as already speculated: Bad "journalism" paired with nothing to gain from making GBS threads on CIG. It's probably as simple as that the (print)-gaming media is completely bankrupt, not only financially but also morally. They don't sell many magazines anymore and their online premium offerings are pretty lame if you can simply watch your favorite YouTube gaming channel for free, the information is mostly the same anyway. They take what they can get and CR is probably aware of the fact that his customer base is largely the same as the people who still buy gaming magazines.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Should we put Ben on this chart for scale?

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
All of this video was created on the fly by a 64kB file:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ6ZzJeWgpY

Turns out when you are making a video you can do whatever you want.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

:lol: of course they threw together a discordant pre-rendered reel of the camera panning around art assets.

The citizenry is eating itself over on Reddit. Half are saying that it owns the haters and their faith has been restored and the other half are asking where the gameplay is and when or even if the game will actually come out.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Calling it now, that Calder investment was part of an elaborate money laundering scheme or other Hollywood accounting fiasco and they don't actually give a poo poo what crobear does with the money.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That does seem likely

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

precision posted:

That does seem likely

:agreed:

If you're doing the shady poo poo, your perfect mark is a guy you know beyond a doubt is going to fail, but you can still claim plausible deniability to the general public. Chris Roberts fits the bill perfectly. He literally thinks he's making a game, and he'll go to his grave claiming it. He doesn't even need to be trained on what to say.

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

Pixelate posted:

Think they mean Turbulent. Agent had this to say years back:

Sure, but I hadn't put together the Turbulent management getting their pay-out and the sudden appearance of a Squadron 42 Christmas Extravaganza! More fool me, I guess.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

iospace posted:

Tane 4: The Taning

you missed the snipe buddy

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Real curious question:

Why is there fog / dust in literally every shot? Space is the complete opposite of this, everything is sharp, because there is a lack of particles in the vacuum. does SQ42 take place completely in a nebula?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

EmesiS posted:

It would seem a lesson is offered in this recent cooling hardware discussion.

With an appropriate amount of fans, properly directed, you can create positive pressure, and thus able to make stuff cool.

With an excess of fans, poorly directed, you can’t make anything cool.

And never get as many fans in your case as Miku.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Are nebula even that dense?

Also that video is so loving boring and makes me wonder what people think 'making a video game' entails.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C4%81ne

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
Im 99% sure the Vanduul characters in that video are recycled from previous appearances. The background might be a bit more fancy but the animations and posing was all very familiar.

Given how much we laugh at how little CIG have done with their human race, its easy to forget that they’re supposed to be developing multiple alien races with the buildings, cities, models, animations, sounds, etc. that go with that. All we’ve seen so far are some HIDEOUS vanduul designs and some crazy fake language nonsense.

edit: conspicuous by their absence were the A lister hollywood celebs from squadron 42, i’d have thought their tier 0 mark hamil and gillian anderson would be front and center. instead we got nothing... wonder what’s going on there. i’d love to be a fly on the wall...

hottubrhymemachine fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 26, 2019

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I should stop being amazed by the dedication of the fan base, but all the positive comments in that video lol. It's literally just assets being shot with some cinematic angles.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Real curious question:

Why is there fog / dust in literally every shot? Space is the complete opposite of this, everything is sharp, because there is a lack of particles in the vacuum. does SQ42 take place completely in a nebula?

The Electrolux nebula. See, there’s the abandoned earring back of z’aarkuum.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Spiderdrake posted:

No. You probably wouldn't even realize you were in one.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Real curious question:

SQ42 takes place during WW2, because that is the only story Chris Roberts understands (not the real WW2, the John Wayne movie version).

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.
Some people are just eating up the new marketing video.

:reddit: posted:

"drat it feels good to be a backer"

Wow. I wonder if my life would be happier if I were that easy to please.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

I've wondered if the entire thing centered around the coil. They've been talking about it for like a year, maybe two.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

XK posted:

No. You probably wouldn't even realize you were in one.
This is actually something I've thought about while writing sci-fi.

This and the oort cloud give me nightmares. Do all stellar systems have oort clouds!?!?

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Hav posted:

The Electrolux nebula. See, there’s the abandoned earring back of z’aarkuum.

Any gas would be absorbed by massive stellar bodies. So Sci Fi stuff that has nebulas/ gas clouds in system are kinda wrong.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Hav posted:

The Electrolux nebula.

I had one of those, it broke. :D

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Real curious question:

Because for as much as they like to claim "ReAlIsTiC sPaCe SiM" everything Chris Roberts has ever done has been a ripoff of some movie or another and having tons of SPACE FOG is cinematic as hell

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Spiderdrake posted:

Don't know but i know something much denser

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Because for as much as they like to claim "ReAlIsTiC sPaCe SiM" everything Chris Roberts has ever done has been a ripoff of some movie or another and having tons of SPACE FOG is cinematic as hell

Also draw distances. Hides alot of jank.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
So the 2019 Christmas reveal was a fake trailer that does not in any way represent the state of the project. There was no way to see this curveball coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Scruffpuff posted:

So the 2019 Christmas reveal was a fake trailer that does not in any way represent the state of the project.
I watched like 7 seconds but spinning models in a model viewer seems like the most perfect way to represent the state of the project and its future.