Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Said absurdity would actually be funny if the people who actually came forward about actual abuses weren't routinely punished for it and their perpetrators were actually punished for literally raping people.

"What if social justice, but not taken seriously" isn't a joke. It's the status quo.

I can't tell if you're doing some kind of bit or gimmick but I hope you have a good Christmas and lighten up a little about milkshake duck puppet jokes if not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

It says a lot more about you than me that you think anybody caring about Hollywood's systemic rape problem has an agenda beyond "this is bad and we shouldn't mock it."

there’s plenty of places to make this argument. this thread isn’t one of them

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

You all just spent Christmas eve giving a woman poo poo because she cares that people get raped, so let's not throw stones here.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

You all just spent Christmas eve giving a woman poo poo because she cares that people get raped, so let's not throw stones here.

And you spent Christmas Eve attacking a woman for making a joke you find distasteful, I don’t understand why you spent $10 to pick fights on the internet but no one here is taking your bait.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

So what is going to be the cute merchandising hook for the Obi-Wan show?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Baby Obi

E: so is that series going to take place wholly on Tatooine?

zoux fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 25, 2019

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

zoux posted:

Baby Obi

E: so is that series going to take place wholly on Tatooine?

God, I hope not. Especially since the coolest (pre Episode 4) thing on Tatooine that involved Obi-Wan already happened in Star Wars: Rebels.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

She's a trans woman making a misgendering joke (he-she Mcgee) not a rape joke. But it does sound like a rape joke if you don't know that so I'm not trying to pile on here.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I have no horse in this race, let the white women and trans women fight over baby yoda

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Donovan Trip posted:

I have no horse in this race, let the white women and trans women fight over baby yoda

I will rip baby Yoda in half so everyone wins

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/paintandpaint/status/1209307864008970240?s=21

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/disneyplus/status/1209899831281385473

(Plus the force)

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Gotta say Iron Man suit with full instruction manual. A Lightsaber is likely to remove your own limbs and the Force has that "One Ring" flavor about it were if you uses it for less than the purest intentions your tend to turn into a disfigured rear end in a top hat.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh I would absolutely be seduced by the dark side of the force and glad of it

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

All I want for Christmas is for Disney to gently caress off and die.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Without Disney, there’s no Mandolorian. And do you really think Lucas did better with the prequels than Disney did?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Cartoon Man posted:

And do you really think Lucas did better with the prequels than Disney did?

As someone who hates the prequels, yeah.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

This is the thread for Good Star Wars things, I agree. The discussion is probably better for CD.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Man, Friday can not get here fast enough.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

do you really think Lucas did better with the prequels than Disney did?

Unironically yes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mandalorian is good despite disney. The fact that disney didn't micro-manage it too much or really pay attention to it to the point that they didn't even think to make any baby yoda merch is what let the show actually be pretty ok. My worry is that now that the show is popular and the terrible new movie trilogy is over the eye of sauron will focus on season 2 of mandalorian and ruin it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Unquestionably yes.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I mean the Force is the thing you use to NOT cut your own limbs off with a lightsaber. Without it the weapon is actually pretty clumsy and most people would just use it as a tool to cut open Tauntauns with.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoLing at all the goons who think a lightweight metal cylinder would be unwieldy and difficult to use like Jesus Christ you people have the dexterity of a turtle.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bust Rodd posted:

LoLing at all the goons who think a lightweight metal cylinder would be unwieldy and difficult to use like Jesus Christ you people have the dexterity of a turtle.

Sword nerds have debated this for eons. The balance point is all wrong i think was the concensus and there is no weight forward of the hand to use momentum like a sword. My brother has a whole thing about it if you get him going.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

ol johnny 2 limbs posting again

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

mando spoilers from my son’s lego set

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rocksicles posted:

Sword nerds have debated this for eons. The balance point is all wrong i think was the concensus and there is no weight forward of the hand to use momentum like a sword. My brother has a whole thing about it if you get him going.

Pretty much. If you have a plain lightsaber hilt you have the weight and balance of a lightsaber. It’s really easy to accidentally carve yourself up using it for anything but a plain cutting tool or simple swings and stabs at a target without a lightsaber or blaster of their own.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

A lightspear would be way cooler IMO.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I sincerely hope we never see a lightsaber in The Mandalorian

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

Pretty much. If you have a plain lightsaber hilt you have the weight and balance of a lightsaber. It’s really easy to accidentally carve yourself up using it for anything but a plain cutting tool or simple swings and stabs at a target without a lightsaber or blaster of their own.

It's funny since as I understand the filming conceit of the original movie was that despite being energy, the blade of a lightsaber had a lot of inertia that you had to struggle against differently than a physical blade, shaping the fight choreography. But like a lot of things in ongoing series that went by the wayside in later works.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Killer robot posted:

It's funny since as I understand the filming conceit of the original movie was that despite being energy, the blade of a lightsaber had a lot of inertia that you had to struggle against differently than a physical blade, shaping the fight choreography. But like a lot of things in ongoing series that went by the wayside in later works.

Lucas was convinced they should handle like two handed swords, which is ridiculous, and probably because of the samurai films that he liked.

Hamill has gone on record about being told off for one hand fighting, they got progressively lighter as the years went on.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean obviously the fighting style one would develop around swinging a lightweight shaft around would be different than Earth sword techniques, there was also many EU texts that talked about how activating lightsaber caused the crystals inside to become engorged with the force, effectively changing their density and causing the lightsaber to have heft while it was activated.

My favorite lightsaber fighting style has always been Starkiller from The Force Unleashed, because he’s whipping it around backhanded so quickly and in a way that’s totally unique to him. Lightsabers don’t have to be boring, seeing personal takes on lightsaber skill is one of my favorite things about Star Wars... this is why I (braces for impact) actually really like Yoda’s lightsaber battles.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I sincerely hope we never see a lightsaber in The Mandalorian

I hope we do. This show is basically a spaghetti western. Spaghetti westerns drew very heavily from the old samurai movies. I’d love for this show to basically form an explicit fusion between those two genres, and I have faith they’d be able to do it in an interesting, unique way. Plus a Jedi or some other sort of samurai analogue would probably be an interesting foil for Mando.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I'm okay with some random Jedi.

As long as they have a duel in the most samurai movie trope-ish way ever (and then they become friends or something, or whatever. Just go nuts).

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Phylodox posted:

I hope we do. This show is basically a spaghetti western. Spaghetti westerns drew very heavily from the old samurai movies. I’d love for this show to basically form an explicit fusion between those two genres, and I have faith they’d be able to do it in an interesting, unique way. Plus a Jedi or some other sort of samurai analogue would probably be an interesting foil for Mando.

This show is way more of a wandering Ronin story than a Spaghetti Western story and the universally acknowledged worst episode is the bounty hunter one that leans more towards western and is the farthest from its Japanese roots.

Having finally seen all 9 movies I can safely say that the Jedi and the Sith are the least interesting parts of Star Wars, they have a dozen other properties and video games they can ruin, please stay the hell out of the Mandalorian

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

TK-42-1 posted:

mando spoilers from my son’s lego set

For a second I was like "Wait, so Gus Fring is is gonna turn out to be a Mandalorian???" and then I was like "ohhh..." and now I feel really bad about it.

Nitrousoxide posted:

As someone who hates the prequels, yeah.

Rocksicles posted:

Unquestionably yes.

But not as bad as y'all should feel. That's like calling the Jr. High lunch lady Hitler because she didn't didn't give you extra mashed potatoes.

Herostratus
May 1, 2013
But mando doesn't use any kind of sword.
Random jedi would probably eat a flamethrower to the face.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Herostratus posted:

But mando doesn't use any kind of sword.
Random jedi would probably eat a flamethrower to the face.

He use the electric bayonet on his rifle a couple times as a melee weapon and I thought that was super bad rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

No you should see a lightsaber in the show... as a treasure or memorabilia that gets fought over, but is never actually activated. Mando gets it to a client, he is handed his cash, there's a lingering shot on the item as the purchaser's hand reaches for it and... cut to credits.