Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Third World Reagan posted:

trip report

having fun in kingdom under fire 2

tutorial is 10 levels

18 it starts to get good

25 it is amazing

no idea how bad max level is (30)

Now that looks like an intriguing game. What's the monetization like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I bought Kingdom Under Fire 2 because why not.

It's really fun actually, and not in a brain trick way; the core gameplay is just fun. I don't know what endgame is like (and frankly don't really care) because I"m basically playing it like a singleplayer game anyways. I was a little skeezed out hearing its history but apparently real money only buys cosmetics and everything is purchaseable with in-game currency anyways, including costumes and junk.

I really, really like Total War games, I mostly like dynasty warriors games, and I enjoy MMO games so I'm digging it a lot. I'm also only lvl 15.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
30 dollar buy in
5 dollar (really 10 dollar) cosmetics
Most cosmetics can be earned with in game currency
Gashapon for troops has been removed, but the grind is there for the high tier troops

I have not regretted it yet and the game constantly changes and introduces new things as you level

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

30 dollar buy in
5 dollar (really 10 dollar) cosmetics
Most cosmetics can be earned with in game currency
Gashapon for troops has been removed, but the grind is there for the high tier troops

I have not regretted it yet and the game constantly changes and introduces new things as you level

Im in as Verianna, and I enjoy it. Story is laughably bad and that korean pacing of story is there (Super slow, super generic characters yacking at you), but once you get into the RTS battles, its great.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I got to 30 and it definitely changes there.

Some troops are a rare chance drop from some maps. Some of those maps can only be done 3 times a day. That kinda sucks.

To get your poo poo to 5 star takes a bit, but it is achievable. Your units unlock more skills and passives and they rank up.

You can't dive through units very much without high risk. Mages own. Countering mages own.

A few friends and I are in a guild called OrcsForConsent, not my name, but whatever.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

trip report

having fun in kingdom under fire 2

tutorial is 10 levels

18 it starts to get good

25 it is amazing

no idea how bad max level is (30)

Don't do this to me

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
drat, :rip: to a true legend

https://www.pcgamer.com/everquest-a...uffer_pcgamerfb

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Stormgale posted:

Don't do this to me

Post in the thread

well more

do it

It isn't really a mmo but it is online

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I loved reading wildstar horror stories as they tried to comprehend the grind to unlock the actual grind.

Also this sums up wildstar well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IgVS9yNFGg

Posting from September to say that this video is worse than Wildstar.

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

The Moon Monster posted:

Posting from September to say that this video is worse than Wildstar.

drat that was a lovely video.

Wildstar was actually fun for the first while though. I learned quickly on how to manipulate the poo poo out of it's market system. made a boatload of plat which I sold and bought a new computer with. no complaints here.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I, too, picked up KuFII. The MMO parts are absolutely loving brutal but the RTS stuff is decent.

Conquerors Blade had a really good couple of patches and myself + 2 friends are back in it

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I would very much like it if someone who is not from a country where the standard business model is scamming five thousand dollars out of a hand full of weirdos before all the other players quit in a month made a game like conquerors blade or KUF. Oh also from a country where only half or less of the developers have some sort of terminal horniness disease.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Tbf conq blade does not have very much of the usual bullshit nude elf problem

Kuf on the other hand

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

Tbf conq blade does not have very much of the usual bullshit nude elf problem

Kuf on the other hand

And the first part? Welp.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

It's F2P but there isn't a way to buy units with real cash. Premium / subscription gives you a boost to earning like PlanetSide 2.

I've only dropped a little cash on cosmetics tbh

Orv
May 4, 2011
This thread finally has an answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwBIfg4FZQ0

How on earth Star Vault is still solvent or a going concern is utterly beyond me.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

No.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I've found it. It will save us all. I already ordered parts to build my new PC:

https://twitter.com/BeAMagicLegend/status/1205327787931971587?s=19

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Cryptic/Perfect World :rip:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
That magic MMO only took two and a half years to get to beta sign-ups. That's better than the current MMO crop, but that probably means they re-used assets/code from their previous MMOs, which is what we all thought they were going to do.

I think I'll keep my eyes on it.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Orv posted:

How on earth Star Vault is still solvent or a going concern is utterly beyond me.

I always wondered this too. But to their credit they are still updating mortal online to this day, with not insignificant updates.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Orv posted:

I'll believe this when I see it (on Steam.)

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

New EverQuest expansion comes out in like a week, now is the best time to subscribe to a 20 year old mmo and then quit as soon as you buy a character boost and start trying to set up hotkeys

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

blatman posted:

New EverQuest expansion comes out in like a week, now is the best time to subscribe to a 20 year old mmo and then quit as soon as you buy a character boost and start trying to set up hotkeys

Eq1 live is such a weird game. I don't know who it appeals to anymore, I guess the same people who play korean mmos?

Project1999 is better in every regard.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Yeah I always feel weird trying to get friends to give EQ a shot because pretty much nobody actually enjoys it when I do. I really enjoy breaking the game mechanics in various ways because the entire thing is spaghetti code piled on top of more spaghetti code though, that's pretty much what I get out of it, plus it's sort of like using your computer to travel back in time 15 years because all the memes are outdated and everyone is a strange 2002 internet person still

It's absolutely miserable trying to catch up to the longtime players but if you manage to do it, it doesn't take a whole lot of effort to stay ahead of the curve which is appealing in an age of constant power resets like WoW does, but this also alienates newer/returning players because of how hard you have to grind to be accepted into the good groups

It is worth keeping in mind that EQ live currently has some of the best non-raid gear progression out there though, if you don't want to raid you aren't completely hamstrung anymore even as a tank, but gently caress me are some of the balance decisions bad

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Orv posted:

They're Swedish therefore they have access to government grants to do game dev poo poo.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
maybe to bring things back to the OP: what would you guys like to see that hasn't been done to death?

I've seen some interesting stuff that is, er, "big" but not massive- slither.io, infinite minesweeper, etc. Mostly in the mobile space, and they don't quite fit into the same mold as the "mash-face-on-keyboard, wait for cooldowns, repeat" MMOs that seem to be pervasive today. Still, I'd love to see more stuff like that, but maybe focused on the peecee market. I realize no one is going to be able to eat on a game who has a server population of 500, though.

I really like stuff like Foxhole, Neverwinter Nights persistent worlds, etc. What else could be done in that space?

what do yall think would break MMOs out of the rut?

cmdrk fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 26, 2019

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I dont even know what to want from MMOs anymore, I tried WoW Classic but found boring by level 35, then tried FFXIV out expecting to dislike it but I ended up liking it a loving lot, even though it has its flaws and is basically the definition of modern theme park MMO that a lot of gamers and goons absolutely hate and will never touch it

Maybe something cool will come up in the future but for me it will take a lot for an MMO content to be as good as Shadowbringers was to me

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
id love to try FF XIV again I think

I heard if you can suffer through the vanilla content the rest is graet

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

eonwe posted:

I will never blame anyone for giving up on FFXIV due to the slog that the base game MSQ and post release patch content is, until you reach proper Heavensward content

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Honestly Dragons Dogma Online sounded like a refreshing take of access to all classes in a single character, climbing massive monsters to take then out, and active abilities for range classes instead if waiting for a bar to fill. More of that in the West would be great.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

cmdrk posted:

maybe to bring things back to the OP: what would you guys like to see that hasn't been done to death?

I've seen some interesting stuff that is, er, "big" but not massive- slither.io, infinite minesweeper, etc. Mostly in the mobile space, and they don't quite fit into the same mold as the "mash-face-on-keyboard, wait for cooldowns, repeat" MMOs that seem to be pervasive today. Still, I'd love to see more stuff like that, but maybe focused on the peecee market. I realize no one is going to be able to eat on a game who has a server population of 500, though.

I really like stuff like Foxhole, Neverwinter Nights persistent worlds, etc. What else could be done in that space?

what do yall think would break MMOs out of the rut?

I enjoy playing Destiny 2. I'd be happy with a similar game that had a less aggravating and obfuscated gear treadmill. I play MMOs, so I am not complaining about treadmills in general, but Destiny's is the worst I have ever seen, and I played Everquest.

Something resembling social support would be nice. I miss in-game guild chats.

It's a shame there aren't more FPS MMOs. All the current one's have at least one major flaw, but playing MMOs with a gamepad makes them much more relaxing.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

age of wushu broke me and I can't find anything with that sort of combat or freedom of movement and no western developer would get anywhere near that

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

frajaq posted:

I will never blame anyone for giving up on FFXIV due to the slog that the base game MSQ and post release patch content is, until you reach proper Heavensward content

eonwe posted:

good news, they're gonna streamline that poo poo sometime in first half of 2020, as part of the patches that enable you to replay old quests.

if you have other games you also want to play, i suggest waiting until said patch happens and starting then.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Truga posted:

as part of the patches that enable you to replay old quests.

this sounds like a huge turn off

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Orv posted:

This looks like hot garbage but I still think Sandbox is the way to go for MMO's.

Just take the concept of games like Rust or EVE online and put them in bigger and more permanent fantasy worlds

Give the players a lot of tools to create their own experience... Why is every sandbox attempt low tier garbage like Mortal Online or that greek game I can't remember the name of

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Dec 26, 2019

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Darkfall, it was called Darkfall

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

this sounds like a huge turn off

It’s called New Game + and it’s entirely optional. It’s already in place for the Heavensward and Stormblood expansion content, it’s literally just a “I wanna revisit old Story Quests” feature. Where FFXIV is so story driven, it’s been in high demand.

Also it’s getting them to streamline the level 1-50 story content, which is desperately needed.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah i probably won't use it, but streamlining the 1-50 experience should help fucktons with player retention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sucks telling people, and truly meaning it, that FFXIV is the best Final Fantasy ever made except for the first 60 hours of the game, lol.