Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
The dearth of two-drops is why I like trying to build around Dreadhorde Invasion. I think combining it with Priest and Ayara could actually be big game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Eej posted:

[MTG forum thread]

Me: [chanting] gary, gary-

Other posters: gary, GARY

Secretary: [pounding her clipboard] GARY, GARY, GARY!

Gray Merchant is a powerful card that shows off the plane's headline mechanic. It's also way too powerful for draft at common. Good reprint.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Gary Gary he's our man
if he can't do it no one can

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Eej posted:

[MTG forum thread]

Me: [chanting] gary, gary-

Other posters: gary, GARY

Secretary: [pounding her clipboard] GARY, GARY, GARY!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Devotion is a boring, snowbally mechanic.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Snowballs are fun and so is Devotion.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ShaneB posted:

Devotion is a boring, snowbally mechanic.

Bring back Chroma. :colbert:

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
devotion standard without Mono U devotion is dead to me

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Well with all 2 cards in the set spoiled we know mono u devotion won’t be a thing so rip you

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Wafflecopper posted:

Well with all 2 cards in the set spoiled we know mono u devotion won’t be a thing so rip you
There's like 85 cards spoiled in this set.

edit: unless you mean the two blue devotion cards which I think were both bad

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Spiderdrake posted:

There's like 85 cards spoiled in this set.

edit: unless you mean the two blue devotion cards which I think were both bad

there's been like twenty cards spoiled plus a bunch of extra cards from planeswalker decks and theme boosters and the only mono U ones there are a counterspell and a one drop

https://scryfall.com/sets/thb?order=spoiled

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 26, 2019

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Ok I guess I missed a bunch but my point stands, it’s too early to say what archetypes will and won’t be things

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

scryfall only shows the officially spoiled cards so it's missing all those cards that that person opened from boosters they bought at walmart or something

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Those cards were mostly commons

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Autism Sneaks posted:

devotion standard without Mono U devotion is dead to me

*Curious Obsession and Counterspell get reprinted into standard*

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

sit on my Facebook posted:

A slightly different take by me on a Gary deck:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2598515#paper

I look forward to casting a lot of Garys, that's for sure

Spawn is good but wouldnt my boi Rankle the Master of Prankle be good there too?
He is frequently an aggro MVP and his sac ability works well with dreadhorde token and gutter b there

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

MikeCrotch posted:

*Curious Obsession and Counterspell get reprinted into standard*

Still missing Tempest Djinn at the 3. Depends on how serviceable the new Thassa is.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mono blue devotion will be a thing with the six mana instant speed time walk ancestral recall that also makes a token planeswalker with a +2 that forces your opponent to post mad online.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Mono G devotion will get a 3/3 for GGGG that draws you cards equal to your devotion to green

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Bust Rodd posted:

Mono G devotion will get a 3/3 for GGGG that draws you cards equal to your devotion to green

GGG gets you at least a 4/5 with upside, so GGGG needs to have at least a 6/7 body with upside for the sake of consistency,

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

We already have Yorvo in that slot. The CCC stuff won't be as good as the Dom cycle with devotion in the format.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

We already have Yorvo in that slot. The CCC stuff won't be as good as the Dom cycle with devotion in the format.

You say that now.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Boy howdy can't wait for the Mono Black Devotion deck to kill you with that extra point of damage Ayara gives you because Gary ETB'd.

:negative:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

:geno: I guess sometimes you need a slow Grapple with the Past with marginal upside?

Elyv fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 26, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Sagas are good, and a good thematic fit for Theros.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Elyv posted:

:geno: I guess sometimes you need a slow Grapple with the Past with marginal upside?

It's probably more for anti Cat Food tech. (Not that it's necessarily more efficient than Return To Nature, but still.) Otherwise, I'm glad Sagas are back for Theros. It'll be interesting to see how they are best utilized for a set that is so enchantment focused.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Owlbear Camus posted:

Sagas are good, and a good thematic fit for Theros.

They ideally do more than "draw one card in three turns" though.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Osmosisch posted:

They ideally do more than "draw one card in three turns" though.

Yeah I was saying the mechanic in general, hopefully we get some playable ones.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Sagas are good that card looks real bad. That one doesn't even look playable in draft

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

seems fine for limited since it enables Escape for you and disables Escape for your opponent

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i hope titan is going to be a type

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Mirari Conjecture, The History of Benalia, and the red one were all awesome and super playable

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
It's an excellent hate card for our God-Eternal dominated standard.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The green one that turned all your mans into dork then gave them indestructible and counters was alright, and sometimes you could go off with the one that turned all your artifacts into beaters. It's a pretty cool design space.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Using Eldest Reborn on a niv mizzet against an opponent holding up dive down was certainly the most fun I've had in arena.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Owlbear Camus posted:

The green one that turned all your mans into dork then gave them indestructible and counters was alright, and sometimes you could go off with the one that turned all your artifacts into beaters. It's a pretty cool design space.

Song of freyalise owned, watching your opponent realise it was about to tick to three and what three did was fun.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

InterrupterJones posted:

It's probably more for anti Cat Food tech.

TacoNight posted:

It's an excellent hate card for our God-Eternal dominated standard.

I suspect TacoNight at least was being facetious, but targeted graveyard exile that triggers in your main phase literally doesn't hate out either of those things. Well, I guess it can hate out Cat Food if your opponent is an idiot.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

JerryLee posted:

I suspect TacoNight at least was being facetious, but targeted graveyard exile that triggers in your main phase literally doesn't hate out either of those things. Well, I guess it can hate out Cat Food if your opponent is an idiot.

it's the mill part that gets the god eternal :ssh:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

really I think it's a ~sixth pick quality card that looks almost like a standard card(Grapple was standard playable) and there's not a whole lot else to say about it. In limited it sets up your escape cards while potentially knocking out some of your opponent's and doesn't cost you card. Would be nice if it could get you your third land drop t3 like Grapple can but it can do it t4 at least

being an underpowered safety valve against god-eternals on the side is cool too I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Kurtofan posted:

i hope titan is going to be a type

I hope the * Titan cycle gets reprinted

Wanna slam primetime in standard