Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

jivjov posted:

Pablo likes to do the "here's a new zero date" thing from time to time. If i recall, he's never been a fan of ABY/BBY being the de facto dating system for all Star Wars.

i mean it makes sense. but i feel like endor should be the dating system 0 than but idk or care.

thrawn527 posted:

I’m watching the ROTJ commentary track, and during an Endor scene, Lucas just said, “This film was written during the Vietnam War...” No it wasn’t, you loving liar lol.

So, ignoring whether any of it makes sense or should have been done, I’m trying to understand the story of Palpatine now. And don’t just say it doesn’t make sense, in this thread we try to make sense of this crazy/wonderful series because we’re lunatics. (I should note a lot of this, if not most of it, is coming from the RLM review of TROS.) So was Palpatine in ROTJ a clone of the Palpatine on Exogal? A version of himself he spit out years before Episode I who rose to become Senator/Chancellor/Emperor and was then killed in ROTJ, while OG Palpatine was pulling the strings from Exogal? Or was Palpatine legit killed in Jedi, and his spirit somehow transferred to a different body?

On a different note, were all those robed beings in the Exogal stadium people? The souls of previous Sith (this is the one I believe)? A bunch of Palpatine and Snoke clones?

Obviously we can’t know, but it’s fun (for me) to speculate with a new movie added to the story.

part of me thinks its the corpse emperor is endor him, some how he didnt explode and someone recovered what was left of him out of the death star wreck on that endor moon. than they stuck him on a boom mic with some life support. i feel like making him basically Vitiate is possible but i doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah Before / After Endor feels like a better choice to me.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Of course, in the new chronology, Endor is an event of very little significance, serving as only a minor set-back for Palpatine, with the Alliance squandering the advantage it gave them very quickly...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Angry Salami posted:

Of course, in the new chronology, Endor is an event of very little significance, serving as only a minor set-back for Palpatine, with the Alliance squandering the advantage it gave them very quickly...

I mean...they got a couple decades of relative peace out of it

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Are there any nucanon books/comics that don't play it safe as bad or inconsequential stories?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jivjov posted:

I mean...they got a couple decades of relative peace out of it

Yeah, like they had about 30 years. I'm pretty sure the New Republic fell in less time than that in the pre-Star Wars EU and Palpatine was back within a couple of years, not 30.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, like they had about 30 years. I'm pretty sure the New Republic fell in less time than that in the pre-Star Wars EU and Palpatine was back within a couple of years, not 30.
Give the new canon time and there be all sorts of crises written into those years.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Give the new canon time and there be all sorts of crises written into those years.

Oh I'm sure but at very least they didn't get to the point of Daalaing everything before TFAs.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

ImpAtom posted:

I think old canon was ~27-28 years before they made the Galactic federation of free alliances.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

Oh I'm sure but at very least they didn't get to the point of Daalaing everything before TFAs.

Why did they ever decide that Daala was the one who ought to run the New Republic?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Dawgstar posted:

Why did they ever decide that Daala was the one who ought to run the New Republic?

Presumably because she was banging hero of the universe Boba Fett at the time

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Daala was made queen of the universe because they wanted to bring the Empire back but Daala was literally the only named Imperial officer with any clout still alive.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

ImpAtom posted:

In an effort to better explain how easily the New Republic fell they've increasingly made it powerless, ineffective, corrupt and plain nonexistent in those 30 years though. At this point it seems more like the New Republic was just one of countless insignificant states with delusions of grandeur. Most people seem barely aware that anything had replaced the Empire save anarchy.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember back in the 90s when before/after Endor was the default dating scheme. I think the BBY/ABY was originally an internet fan thing that got brought in officially in... I think the original Essential Chronology?

I also noticed that just like the Mandalorian episode from a few weeks ago, TROS now also explicitly mentioned Endor being the end of the civil war.

Teek posted:

They mentioned that Palpatine knew about the Dyad, I'm guessing an earlier version of the movie had him knowing that the whole time.

Yeah, an earlier cut of the movie had this be much more front-and-center as part of Palpatine's overall plan. Along with the intro scene having more context Kylo finding an "Oracle" on Mustafar, who was a really bizarre puppet, that would lead him to the Wayfinder.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
The Mandalorian is the best Star Wars in 40ish years.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ScottyJSno posted:

I don't know that I'd say that for certain, but Filoni and Favreau understand Star Wars better than JJ does for sure. Good season finale. Darksaber

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ScottyJSno posted:

Hard to say that when The Last Jedi is only 2 years old

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

jivjov posted:

Hard to say that when The Last Jedi is only 2 years old
It contains some of the best SW stuff there is, but makes several missteps that diminish it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

ScottyJSno posted:

Its biggest accomplishment might just be making me give a poo poo about Mandalorians.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 29, 2019

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

folks, i wasn't prepared for star wars to be good again when i saw RoS

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Well at least it didn’t challenge your lack of preparation

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"Mandalorian isn't a race. It's a creed."

That might just be the best thing said since Disney took over the franchise.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Arcsquad12 posted:

Although I somewhat suspect their motives considering he said this to Carl Weathers...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Whatever Mando punches, he destroys.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

MadDogMike posted:

Although I somewhat suspect their motives considering he said this to Carl Weathers...

That's what makes it so great.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Has the nu-canon shown any non-human Mandalorians yet?

Hell, for that matter, did the old EU? (Taung excluded, obv)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I believe the old canon did in one of the comics somewhere, Star Wars Explained did a video about Easter eggs in The Mandalorian and mentioned non-human Mandalorians in the old EU.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Pretty sure the old EU talked about non-humans being Mandos. I have a really hazy memory about looking up what exactly the gently caress a Mandalorian was 20+ years ago.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There's non-human Mandos represented in the KOTOR comic.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 31, 2019

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I remember Feskitt Bobb and Alfreda Goot from Abel Peņa's article about the Mandalorians (which was basically the one big source that pulled together all the bits of canon about the Mandalorians to date before Traviss ignored it to do her own thing).

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.

Lord Hydronium posted:

I remember Feskitt Bobb and Alfreda Goot from Abel Peņa's article about the Mandalorians (which was basically the one big source that pulled together all the bits of canon about the Mandalorians to date before Traviss ignored it to do her own thing).
I love it when Traviss mouth piece characters talk about old republic mandalorians because they all uniformly denounce them and you can just hear Traviss' pain at Mandalorians being depicted as the space Imperial Japanese that they are.

T___A fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 1, 2020

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
Akaavi Spar from SWTOR was a Zabrak and was born into a Mandalorian clan.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

When the Mandalorians show up briefly in The Unifying Force at the end of NJO, there are a couple aliens specifically mentioned. I remember a Bothan Mandalorian being one of them.

It is kind of impressive how a low-budget streaming show completely overtook Episode IX as the culturally dominant Star Wars for the last few months.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Chairman Capone posted:

When the Mandalorians show up briefly in The Unifying Force at the end of NJO, there are a couple aliens specifically mentioned. I remember a Bothan Mandalorian being one of them.

It is kind of impressive how a low-budget streaming show completely overtook Episode IX as the culturally dominant Star Wars for the last few months.

its because its a genuinly good/fun show while the sequels have been big mixed bags for the most parts.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its because its a genuinly good/fun show while the sequels have been big mixed bags for the most parts.

everything about rise of skywalker was fun except maybe the last 5 minutes

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It was the cinematic equivalent of the 'most rollovers in a single stunt car crash' record

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Chairman Capone posted:

Fear not, the galaxy brains in charge of the movies are bringing skywalker saga characters to Mandalorian Season 2!

All is lost.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

We can learn about the backstory and deep significance of Planet Kijimi, so that it will be sad when it is destroyed.

smdh that Abrams didn't make the Star Destroyers actually Destroy Stars. Does he have no ambition? No vision?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Stop being a wimp JJ and give us the Sun Crusher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

Stop being a wimp JJ and give us the Sun Crusher.

Honestly impressive that JJ has managed to make the Suncrusher and the EU's infamous love of more super weapons seem restrained and believable.