Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zereth posted:

As I remember hearing it, yes. The actual method involved repeatedly splitting water between two containers until you had an extremely small amount of water, which meant it got very hot when heat was applied since the heat was trying to heat up a few molecules of water.

There’s a lot of stuff like this in SS13. The way to do a hellburn involves a similar thing where you have an extremely small volume of gas in the heat exchanger pipes at a ridiculously high pressure that will continue climbing even after all the pipes burst open, because in SS13 logic a “burst” pipe is not a “disconnected” pipe and it will keep flowing through the system. It just means superheated gas leaks into the surrounding environment but the pressure is rising so fast that it more than counters the pressure lost from the leaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Cheshire Cat posted:

an extremely small volume of gas in the heat exchanger pipes at a ridiculously high pressure
:thunk:

now i'm not an expert here but i was under the impression that when dealing with gases having an extremely small amount of gas meant you had a low pressure

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I might try to dip my toe in Space Station 13 tonight. I'm not expecting incredible antics I've read about to happen tbut I just gotta see it firsthand.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zereth posted:

now i'm not an expert here but i was under the impression that when dealing with gases having an extremely small amount of gas meant you had a low pressure

Your “science” and “logic” has no place in SS13

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Zereth posted:

Under SS13 physics, the very low mass of gas means that it can be easily heated to an insane temperature, and each time temperature doubles so does pressure.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

pV=nSS13T

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Crashwich reminds me of that time someone was playing Dwarf Fortress and one of their dudes crafted a mind-meltingly elaborate statue that depicted the entire history of the universe and also contained dozens instances of itself https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Planepacked

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Also known as the ideal rear end in a top hat gas formula.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

You could create an entire thread just based on SS13 and Dwarf Fortress silliness. Like the rain in Dwarf Fortress being so hot that it melted people or how cats would breed so much that it'd lag your game to death and because they became pets so quickly you couldn't kill them because it'd cause a tantrum spiral.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

my favorite Dwarf Fortress related bug sprang from the concern that, despite the very detailed and measurable body dynamics and damage model, and despite the fact that all the math seemed to check out when measuring damage to certain body parts, dwarves were taking on some pretty grievous injuries relatively easy. Entire limbs were being demolished,, they were bleeding out super fast, and oddities like single arrows taking out both of a dwarve's eyes as well as their liver and a few toes at the same time popped up.

After months of research into the bugs and tweaking the system someone discovered that Toady had accidentally made dwarves really tiny.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Babe Magnet posted:

my favorite Dwarf Fortress related bug sprang from the concern that, despite the very detailed and measurable body dynamics and damage model, and despite the fact that all the math seemed to check out when measuring damage to certain body parts, dwarves were taking on some pretty grievous injuries relatively easy. Entire limbs were being demolished,, they were bleeding out super fast, and oddities like single arrows taking out both of a dwarve's eyes as well as their liver and a few toes at the same time popped up.

After months of research into the bugs and tweaking the system someone discovered that Toady had accidentally made dwarves really tiny.
IIRC they figured this out by memory diving and noticing that dwarves had an extremely small amount of blood in them

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Zereth posted:

yes, this is generally true

hotter gas is more pressurised, however, and

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Zereth posted:

IIRC they figured this out by memory diving and noticing that dwarves had an extremely small amount of blood in them

Yeah, that's the one.

Dabir posted:

yes, this is generally true

hotter gas is more pressurised, however, and

A middling hellburn reaches the temperature of the surface of the sun, and a proper hellburn reaches a temperature many, MANY times hotter than the core of a star, so it's more like the gas has transitioned into some new post-plasma disociated matter state where each individual quark is exhibiting measurable pressure in the system. And is also somehow not spraying out of the completely ruptured pipes throughout engineering.

Testekill posted:

You could create an entire thread just based on SS13 and Dwarf Fortress silliness. Like the rain in Dwarf Fortress being so hot that it melted people or how cats would breed so much that it'd lag your game to death and because they became pets so quickly you couldn't kill them because it'd cause a tantrum spiral.

This is also very true. Dwarves still to this day climb trees and die in them because they will consider climbing routes when panicked or enraged by an enemy, but not when starving or dehydrated. I'm pretty sure snorting enough life-preserving drugs still allows you to jump into the deep fat fryer in SS13 and live, becoming a container object that people can eat only to burst out of them later under the right circumstances, and with the mutation that lets you eat anything I'm pretty sure you can still end up eating your own UI elements.

If ever these two games meet, the world is in trouble.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Dwarf Station Forteen

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

It's an oft repeated classic, but I'll always have a soft spot for cats dying from alcohol poisoning after walking through beer puddles in Dwarf Fortress.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
In case anyone wonders: it's because lick themselves clean.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

And the game wasn't modeling that they have a small amount of booze on their paws, so it was like they were chugging an entire full drink each time they licked some off

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

quote:

The Mad Hammerer, one of the creator's favorite bugs. A Hammerer carries out death sentences by striking the prisoner with a hammer. If unable to wield a hammer (due to both arms being broken, for example), he would instead bite the subject to death and walk around with the person's bitten-off limbs in his mouth forever, until they started to rot.

This and other completely perfect stories here: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/GoodBadBugs/DwarfFortress

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
My favorite fortress / sorta glitch was in one of the first releases that allowed an adventurer to claim a site for building a new fort nearby later.

My adventurer had a real good run but by reading Forbidden Slabs was now a necromancer and enemy of all. After an escalating series of misunderstandings and burnt bridges with the human king I did quests for, I had tons of good loot but no where to sell it. So I set off into the wilderness, found a good site, and retired there.

The fortress I settled nearby did well as fortresses often do at first until the first migration wave when MY OLD ADVENTURER snuck in disguised as a peasant. I was delighted, for he was very powerful and loaded for bear.

Necromancers, of course, randomly reanimated dead flesh, so the butcher shop got a hell of a lot more lively. I ended up making him his own separate living area, away from anything organic, with a drawbridge to the outside world so he could attack hordes as necessary.

This also turned out to be a terrible decision.

Again, pretty sure it was intended behavior, but I was really not expecting my undead dwarf to show up like he owned the place, although technically he did (I sent him out to scout a site so he would later show up on statues and engravings)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Literally Kermit posted:

Necromancers, of course, randomly reanimated dead flesh, so the butcher shop got a hell of a lot more lively.
If I were more art-inclined, I would draw a dwarf being attacked by a llama sausage.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zereth posted:

This was because dwarves onscreen only had growth spurts on the exact moment of their birthday, and the accelerated timeframe in fortress mode meant that it skipped almost every birthdate.

As the game's model would always hit the exact beginning of every year, dwarves born at the beginning of time aged normally, and dwarves who grew up offscreen would be normal size as well

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Cardiovorax posted:

If I were more art-inclined, I would draw a dwarf being attacked by a llama sausage.

It menaces with spikes of obsidian. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. On the statue is a picture of a dwarf and a sausage. The dwarf is being attacked by the sausage.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

No.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
speaking of SS13, this got leaked, again, and gives you an in depth look at the complexity of this dumb 2d spaceman game
https://pastebin.com/ZCAvvWP9

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

frodnonnag posted:

speaking of SS13, this got leaked, again, and gives you an in depth look at the complexity of this dumb 2d spaceman game.

"Leaked" insofar as it was posted bitterly by a player in the SS13 thread who dislikes the secrecy culture surrounding the game.

Also you might want to edit out the link and instead link to the post, as it was posted in a forum inaccessible to non-goons and this forum isn't that.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Plastik posted:

"Leaked" insofar as it was posted bitterly by a player in the SS13 thread who dislikes the secrecy culture surrounding the game.

Also you might want to edit out the link and instead link to the post, as it was posted in a forum inaccessible to non-goons and this forum isn't that.

Yeah nah. The cult of superiority thru secrecy is insanely stupid when it comes to ss13. 99% of players will never be able to touch this stuff but it's still funny to read about. Sitting there and circlejerkin' it about goon secrets does more harm than good for playing the game.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Testekill posted:

Like the rain in Dwarf Fortress being so hot that it melted people.

Unless I'm thinking of a different glitch, it wasn't that the rain was particularly hot, instead it was that being wet caused all your body fat to melt at normally safe temperatures, to the point that you could die from being caught in a rainstorm in warmer biomes and people were building fort defenses that were just a shallow pool of water at the entrance and then a walk down a well-heated hallway.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
But if you survived getting all your fat melted off you were an unstoppable juggernaut!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Plastik posted:

*Clutches pearls* by God, non-goons with the SS13 spoilers? It'll be chaos when anybody can create *looks at spoilers* Energy Drink.

That chemistry list makes Graveyard Keepers alchemy system look kind and user friendly.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It also has a habit of changing regularly and unpredictably, mostly in response to someone figuring out too many of them.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

zedprime posted:

*Clutches pearls* by God, non-goons with the SS13 spoilers? It'll be chaos when anybody can create *looks at spoilers* Energy Drink.

That chemistry list makes Graveyard Keepers alchemy system look kind and user friendly.

Graveyard Keeper is a game I wish I liked better.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

frodnonnag posted:

Yeah nah. The cult of superiority thru secrecy is insanely stupid when it comes to ss13. 99% of players will never be able to touch this stuff but it's still funny to read about. Sitting there and circlejerkin' it about goon secrets does more harm than good for playing the game.

I agree, but people have been punished for posting goon-only secrets outside the private subforums is all.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

zedprime posted:

Hey now, there's also whatever "Glowing Fliptonium" is

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't play the game, so forgive any nouns I get wrong, but my favorite Dwarf Fortress bug was that a breed of fish basically became demigods in terms of strength. The in-game logic was that if the fish were working out, they'd get stronger, and swimming in water was considered 'working out'. So for however long the game was running, they'd be having a workout session montage. Cut to a dwarf wanting to fish, or something, and they'd be obliterated by the buffest fish possible.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
It was extra fun if you were in an evil biome and the fish were undead. Undead fish don't need to be in water to survive.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

On the plus side, undead also cannot train their attributes.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

I don't play the game, so forgive any nouns I get wrong, but my favorite Dwarf Fortress bug was that a breed of fish basically became demigods in terms of strength. The in-game logic was that if the fish were working out, they'd get stronger, and swimming in water was considered 'working out'. So for however long the game was running, they'd be having a workout session montage. Cut to a dwarf wanting to fish, or something, and they'd be obliterated by the buffest fish possible.

it was carp, and the other issue was that carp had the same generic 'bite' attack that you might see on, say, a bear, or a dog. so a dwarf would venture down to the river and a tiny swimming rottweiler would leap out and try to chew its feet off, at which point the dwarf would try to dodge and have a 50/50 shot of just throwing itself into the river by accident

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
All fish benefitted from the skills=stats swimming oversight at one time, but carp remained a nuisance even outside of that because of their teeth, yes. A similar fun one was the fact that undead sponges or corals, I forget which, were terrifying monstrosities for a time because they lacked a brain or any other vital parts and thus could not be killed; this was compounded by the fact that even a limbless, brainless, otherwise completely immobile organism gained access to a rudimentary charge/tackle attack if hostile, and undead are generally always hostile. Since they were MASSIVE by dwarf standards, they would occasionally lurch into anyone foolish enough to attack, obliterating them. I believe that they have since lost access to the charge attack, and that undead can now be killed by sufficient damage regardless of whether or not they have any vital parts to attack.

Fun glitch I discovered while trying to bash together several horrible, incomplete DF mods years ago: it was possible to give a critter a sufficiently powerful attack that it could silently obliterate you on sight, killing you so dead that the game would refuse to acknowledge you had died at all. You are simply unmade, and the camera stares blankly at an empty tile until you quit.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

DF also models most animals, and then anthropomorphic <animal>men versions of those animals. So like, koalamen, cavvymen, thripsmen, keamen, etc., etc.. Well, the game also modeled spongemen, which were immobile, defenseless, and typically very benign. Until someone playing in adventure mode happened upon two spongemen, sitting next to each other on a river bank, in an evil biome. Having spawned in the evil biome made them hostile to all life, including each other. However, spongemen have no way to attack and no way to move, so the adventurer got to sit there listening to two spongemen shout obscenities and vitriol at each other endlessly, forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sounds like the perfect place to build a cabin. :allears: