Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Synthbuttrange posted:

My folks moved to an apartment. Seems nice except for this shower tiling mystery

My kitchen has tiles like that, and there's the same group of skinny ones, but it's hidden under the stove. Whoever did that bathroom had a pile of offcuts left over and was too cheap/lazy to buy six more tiles to finish the job properly. Probably stemmed from laziness at the start of the project: If each tile is 1' x 1', and the dimensions of the shower are x' by y' then bing bong so simple we only need to buy z number of tiles and we're good!

EKDS5k fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

EKDS5k posted:

My kitchen has tiles like that, and there's the same group of skinny ones, but it's hidden under the stove. Whoever did that bathroom had a pile of offcuts left over and was too cheap/lazy to buy six more tiles to finish the job properly. Probably stemmed from laziness at the start of the project: If each tile is 1' x 1', and the dimensions of the shower are x' by y' then bing bong so simple we only need to buy z number of tiles and we're good!

Yeah either that or they only knew how to snap tiles and not how to cut out a chunk to fit the drain in, and then decided to do the other tiles in the row to make it look deliberate.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah either that or they only knew how to snap tiles and not how to cut out a chunk to fit the drain in, and then decided to do the other tiles in the row to make it look deliberate.

Its just kind of vaguely upsetting but im not sure why

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm sure why

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah I change my vote to using up offcuts.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I'm almost certain it's to be able to create pitch to the drain. It still looks like poo poo though.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'm telling y'all, whoever did it just couldn't predict where those tiles would end up.......

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I wish I was more surprised, but then I remember I spent two minutes explaining fractions to the girl at the deli counter after I asked her for 2/5 of a pound and got a blank stare instead.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Nevets posted:

I wish I was more surprised, but then I remember I spent two minutes explaining fractions to the girl at the deli counter after I asked her for 2/5 of a pound and got a blank stare instead.

I demand 5.27 slices of roast beef and if I get 5.3 by jove I will need to speak with your manager

schmug
May 20, 2007

Nevets posted:

I'm guessing the blank stare was because she thought you were the idiot, not because she was.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Nevets posted:

what

why would you do that

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Yeah, I worked at a deli counter a long time ago and if a customer asked for two-fifths of a pound I would at least double-check that's what they meant to ask for (and also wonder why they found 6 ounces insufficient but half a pound an extravagance)

schmug
May 20, 2007

HardDiskD posted:

what

why would you do that

well sometimes 3/8 is too little and 7/16 is too much, duh

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

y'all have some odd quirks over which denominators are socially acceptable

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Nevets posted:

you asked her for exactly 6.4 ounces of meat by using fractions?
what is wrong with you?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
2/5 is practically decimal, which is like metric, and that poo poo is un-American.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

FCKGW posted:

you asked her for exactly 6.4 ounces of meat by using fractions?
what is wrong with you?

I wonder if the scale goes by ounces or if it can be set to like, pound + decimal. Because 0.4 lbs would be easy, but expecting someone to work out 2/5 of 16 oz is pretty irritating.

Just ask for half a pound.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Most good scales can display both.

This is why I ask for my meat in volume, preferably in steradians for meat pies

schmug
May 20, 2007

TVs Ian posted:

I wonder if the scale goes by ounces or if it can be set to like, pound + decimal. Because 0.4 lbs would be easy, but expecting someone to work out 2/5 of 16 oz is pretty irritating.

Just ask for half a pound.

"BUT I DONT WANT A HALF POUND!" *slams fist on counter*

schmug fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 26, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

"You used fractions instead of decimals, you idiot" is a hot take for an american

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Just as for 11.4/57ths of 2 pounds. Simple.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

y'all have some odd quirks over which denominators are socially acceptable

True, but also, fractions are dumb enough without having to introduce ones that no one anywhere uses.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Jaded Burnout posted:

"You used fractions instead of decimals, you idiot" is a hot take for an american

the specific number isn't important, it's because the general unit of measurement at a supermarket deli is a quarter pound and I'd want to make sure that someone asking for something else knew what they were asking for because it's just as likely that they're innumerate and think 2/5 = 0.25 or something

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'm almost certain it's to be able to create pitch to the drain. It still looks like poo poo though.

That’s my thought too. There’s a reason why timers rarely use large scale tile for a shower floor. I feel like this would have been a good situation for the use of a covered drain trough if they really felt the large floor tiles were necessary.

schmug
May 20, 2007

The Chairman posted:

the specific number isn't important, it's because the general unit of measurement at a supermarket deli is a quarter pound and I'd want to make sure that someone asking for something else knew what they were asking for because it's just as likely that they're innumerate and think 2/5 = 0.25 or something

even 1/8's maybe, but WTF to 1/5's of a pound.

I have very strong opinions about meat graduations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

Fractions are dumb when you have something that is broken down to 16 smaller units and is super easy to divide by 1/4 but you chose 1/5 instead.

The bigger WTF is the dude asking for exactly 6.4 ounces of meat

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

A friend of mine orders deli meat by the cut and slice count because he is boring and knows exactly how many sandwiches he will make for lunch that week.

10 slices thick cut please. Not even a couple extra for a snack or the 1 slice per sandwich making tax.

At least its easy on the counter person even if they do look at him like he's insane.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

schmug posted:

True, but also, fractions are dumb enough without having to introduce ones that no one anywhere uses.

Counting By Fifths: An Arcane Science Lost To The Ages.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I'm pretty sure the scale at my deli is in pounds, so it might be fine to ask for four tenths of a pound but two fifths is English language lerner stuff. Sure it's technically right but wrong for the situation.

Also I had a hard time getting "six tenths" is salmon (which through experience was the perfect amount for two of us) that I just started asking for "a little over a half pound".

schmug
May 20, 2007

Plastik posted:

Counting By Fifths: An Arcane Science Lost To The Ages.

In practical terms, what exactly is counted by fifths? Just use loving decimals if you want to use fifths, you heathen.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I grew up using the metric system and I agree that pounds are generally stupid, but neither you nor the deli worker made that call so you might as well make the best of it for both of you and just order in ounces. You would only need to work it out once, instead of getting a dozen different deli people to do the math on the spot.

StormDrain posted:

Also I had a hard time getting "six tenths" is salmon (which through experience was the perfect amount for two of us) that I just started asking for "a little over a half pound".
As a 3/5s compromise go, pretty harmless.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm laughing my rear end off at 2/5 lbs of meat.

I'd rate it 5/7 in terms of how amused it made me.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm laughing my rear end off at 2/5 lbs of meat.

I'd rate it 5/7 in terms of how amused it made me.

:same:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Jesus Christ what kind of psychopath asks for two-fifths of one pound of meat? :psyduck:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

mycomancy posted:

Jesus Christ what kind of psychopath asks for two-fifths of one pound of meat? :psyduck:

The kind that knows asking for three fifths is in bad taste.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

schmug posted:

In practical terms, what exactly is counted by fifths?

Liquor.

schmug
May 20, 2007

haha touche'

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

brugroffil posted:

His kitchen being lovely is kinda funny when you consider his brother is a world-class chef!

(They have been estranged for decades though)

Skip and Rick are brothers? That's hilarious. It's like when I found out that Porter Robinson's brother was the sex pest that worked at polygon

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I can only imagine asking for sliced deli meat in quarter or half pound increments. I have kids though so I can see an argument for decimals if you are a lonely single person with no kids and a hardon for the metric system. I know some of you are used to buying drugs in grams, but you should really consider that anyone who has friends should be buying a minimum of an 8 ball anyway.

Someone asking for 5ths is just a psychopath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

corgski posted:

The kind that knows asking for three fifths is in bad taste.

Oh.

Oh.

Oh no.

Good save.