Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Humphreys posted:

Lucky you didn't go see Star wars then.

When I worked at the comic shop I had this guy who would come in twice a week and want to discuss argue about films and comics. I really disliked The Force Awakens and he had a big problem with that. I loved Rogue One and he threw a tantrum about that. When the Last Jedi came out I said "eh, gently caress this" and didn't go see it and holy poo poo, it was like I'd killed that dude's parents. He started coming in more frequently and he demanded that I go see it, he even said it was a part of my job at the store to see all these films so I could discuss them with customers. So then it became an enjoyable game to watch this 50 year old man come in, ask if I'd watched it and have a meltdown when I said no. I generally expect everyone going to see new SW films to be exactly like that guy and I want nothing to do with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Rhyno your comic book adventure remind me of my brief stint working at games workshop. There was one kid who tried to get me fired repeatedly because I not only knew less lore than him but i also called him a dork for it. Anyway he would buy every lovely novel that they pumped out, read it in a day then be right back the next day to try and catch me out on things he'd learnt but I obviously hadn't.

Jokes on him I failed my probation for not forcing enough plastic crack on people and got a real job elsewhere, 20 years later he's still doing the same thing in the same store, according to someone I know in that area.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cakesmith handyman posted:

Rhyno your comic book adventure remind me of my brief stint working at games workshop. There was one kid who tried to get me fired repeatedly because I not only knew less lore than him but i also called him a dork for it. Anyway he would buy every lovely novel that they pumped out, read it in a day then be right back the next day to try and catch me out on things he'd learnt but I obviously hadn't.

Jokes on him I failed my probation for not forcing enough plastic crack on people and got a real job elsewhere, 20 years later he's still doing the same thing in the same store, according to someone I know in that area.

I had other customers who would come in, challenge my knowledge of incredibly obscure poo poo (like Sonic the Hedgehog for some reason) and when I knew less they'd demand I be fired and they be hired in my place. Surprise, none of them were ever hired. But this happened constantly. I can't believe I was stupid enough to stay there for 13 years.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
My real name is shared with that of a reasonably well-known comics artist/writer, and I'm kind of disappointed I've never had the opportunity to just say "well, I'm ____ ____" in response to some random rant about minutia relating to one of his titles.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Kastein and Cat Terrist are trolling a JW fb page. Trolling them with LOGIC

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Man, woke up groggy as hell and got into my car to go to work, and I didn't remember leaving it on a local radio station that was doing punk rock Christmas songs earlier this week when I last drove it. Today they were in the midst of a set of Japanese punk bands and it took me a few solid minutes to figure out that I wasn't just going insane and processing words into unintelligible languages. The last few songs they played were an all Japanese punk band called Otoboke Beaver and it was really catchy and good :allears:

And for Christmas I gave my poor girl an engagement ring and it immediately made her Christmas and lifted her out of a pretty bad funk she's been going through. The morning after she said she was depressed because she felt like she didn't have anything to look forward to anymore because of her diagnoses, and now she's exicted for the future :kimchi:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

T-Square posted:

And for Christmas I gave my poor girl an engagement ring and it immediately made her Christmas and lifted her out of a pretty bad funk she's been going through. The morning after she said she was depressed because she felt like she didn't have anything to look forward to anymore because of her diagnoses, and now she's exicted for the future :kimchi:

Best news I've heard this season. :toot:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
T-Square that's awesome, congrats.

zhel
Aug 2, 2010

I hope everyone is enjoying the xmas and holiday season that is upon us. Part of my gift this year was some track time in July with a Ferrari 458. So pics and an update in 7 months. :dance:

e: Hell yeah T-Square. Congrats!!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Last year I bought my wife a new HU for her car and they of course omitted the detail that having her steering wheel controls hooked up was an extra charge. Well I bought her a GC to cover that expense and in a silly moment I picked up an old Wii steering wheel and taped the card to it thinking "i am such a genius."

She opened the box, stared at it, read the note and said "you're such a dork."

SO WE'RE GETTING DIVORCED AS THIS ATTACK ON MY SENSE OF HUMOR SHALL NOT STAND

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

Last year I bought my wife a new HU for her car and they of course omitted the detail that having her steering wheel controls hooked up was an extra charge. Well I bought her a GC to cover that expense and in a silly moment I picked up an old Wii steering wheel and taped the card to it thinking "i am such a genius."

So you let your wife go for a year with no steering wheel controls instead of just hooking them up yourself? Shameful.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Rhyno posted:

SO WE'RE GETTING DIVORCED AS THIS ATTACK ON MY SENSE OF HUMOR SHALL NOT STAND
But Rhyno, you are such a dork.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Guess who has two thumbs and a dishwasher that decided to die afternoon of the 25th.

And did I mention it's all of four months old? Or the fact that the earliest a repair guy can come out is the 30th? (That's actually not so bad, considering.)

Shower me with empathy for my first world problems.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
T-Square: awesome! :3:

Happy Boxing Day to all you Commonwealth pugilists.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

So you let your wife go for a year with no steering wheel controls instead of just hooking them up yourself? Shameful.

We learned a long time ago to keep Rhyno away from car stereo installation.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

bolind posted:

Guess who has two thumbs and a dishwasher that decided to die afternoon of the 25th.

And did I mention it's all of four months old? Or the fact that the earliest a repair guy can come out is the 30th? (That's actually not so bad, considering.)

Shower me with empathy for my first world problems.

This happened to a friend on the 24th. Of all the appliances it's the one you can most easily manually back up.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Also, I made us a dinner of a couple of snow crab clusters, a small ribeye, and a plate of homemade fries for dinner.

Crab is expensive, but gently caress I forgot how delicious it is, and it's super simple to just steam for five minutes and serve. I proclaimed that for our next special occasion I want to get the jumbo Alaskan king crab legs :getin:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Sounds like a great way to spend free time, trying to change the minds of idiots good luck with that.

My decision not to use FB gets reinforced on a regular basis :v:

Also I got a shirt for christmas

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

T-Square posted:

Congratulations! Having someone by your side to go through all the medical poo poo helps so much, you're a good man.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

They're doing the lord's work. Nobody should own a Jeep Wrangler.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Any of you guys use the Nextdoor app/site? It's like Facebok for the elderly and can be highly amusing. Currently watching the olds bitch about a suspicious car that circles the neighborhoods, stopping frequently.

And I'm like, it's a contractor for USPS, if you watch where he stops it's at mailboxes. Nope, that can't possibly be it, quiet you stupid child.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I quit NextDoor because every old white lady in the neighborhood was reporting on the movement of every young black male in the neighborhood.

And every Karen that let her dog out was blasting urgent alerts at 3am when the dog didn't come back.

In other words, it was like a hyper-local, live version of Fox News.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah, there's a lot of bitching about minorities. he neighborhood has a lot of original owners still living here. As they die off there's been an influx of young, non white owners and it is enraging the oldies.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meatpimp posted:

I'm looking forward to finding out what's involved in the ones on my Panda, as they aren't quite the same as the standard cars.

Thankfully I'll be using an Android head unit that works on the principle of "tell me what button you're pushing and I'll log what signal that equates to", but I still think it might be fun and games.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Goober Peas posted:

In other words, it was like a hyper-local, live version of Fox News.
Sounds like the break room chat at work, then.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Good old needless, avoidable drama. Yeah I'll keep that out of my life, thanks.

A water main burst yesterday right in front of my house. Felt bad calling it in and having a bunch of dudes work on Christmas, but hopefully they got decent OT. Was near watching them fix it at least.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 26, 2019

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Seat Safety Switch posted:

JFC, in my post-shift haze (it sucked, incidentally, as has every Christmas shift I have ever pulled), I thought that meant they were trolling Jehovah's Witnesses.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

JFC, in my post-shift haze (it sucked, incidentally, as has every Christmas shift I have ever pulled), I thought that meant they were trolling Jehovah's Witnesses.

No, you're right. SSS is just being silly.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I was wondering why anyone would have a problem with our Lord and saviour, John Wick.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Jesus, this Christmas change in my activity and diet (IE: hardly any fiber) made me just fill the toilet witch something I can only think is near the density of depleted uranium :ohdear:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Gotta admit, I like the idea of the Gladiator. I can't help but imagine in practice it's a typical Chrysler product and junk/disappointing in so many ways.

Wife's uncle is joined us for dinner last night and is joining the Tesla cult. He just pre-ordered a Model Y. He was pretty excited about it and when describing Tesla autopilot my inlaws looked at him like he had a 3rd arm in the middle of his forehead.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

slidebite posted:

Gotta admit, I like the idea of the Gladiator. I can't help but imagine in practice it's a typical Chrysler product and junk/disappointing in so many ways.

I agree, the idea of the Gladiator is more enticing than the actual vehicle. Chrysler problems likely abound. That said, if they made a two-door, short-cab version...I'd have a hard time staying away.

https://jalopnik.com/the-jeep-j6-concept-is-the-regular-cab-long-bed-jeep-pi-1833875166

^^^yup that right there^^^

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Yeah, I saw the Gladiator commercials for a solid couple of months before I actually saw one. My friend and I thought it was cool as gently caress, and then I saw one and it just looks like a piece of poo poo some redneck welded together in his barn.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

T-Square posted:

Congrats dude.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Also I got a shirt for christmas

I got some really nice slippers and wireless headphones. Unironically quite pleased.

InitialDave posted:

Thankfully I'll be using an Android head unit that works on the principle of "tell me what button you're pushing and I'll log what signal that equates to", but I still think it might be fun and games.

That's too obvious and sensible for it to ever be adopted widely.

InitialDave posted:

I was wondering why anyone would have a problem with our Lord and saviour, John Wick.

JW's actions pretty nearly align with the basic tenets of the Church of Satanism, with a little interpretation.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

I got some really nice slippers and wireless headphones. Unironically quite pleased.
My mum got me a Shepherd's Purse cheese gift box. Man, you need to try this stuff, seriously good Yorkshire cheese. This blue would make Wallace & Gromit change roses.

JW's actions pretty nearly align with the basic tenets of the Church of Satanism, with a little interpretation.
They align very well with my own basic tenets, tbh.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
There's flooding everywhere across most parts of the Cotswolds. Minor fording in the Corolla is fun.

I am keeping an eye out for a kayak though.

meltie fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 26, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My shirt was an Orvis flannel which is apparently the holy grail of flannels, never heard of them but.....It's loving awesome, most substantial and comfortable flannel I've ever put on my body and I've owned LOTS of flannels :v:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

T-Square posted:

...it just looks like a piece of poo poo some redneck welded together in his barn.

-- Every Chrysler since the 80's.

stevobob posted:

Unnnfffff. Yeah I'm not immune. I'd buy that hunk of poo poo.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

T-Square posted:

Yeah, I saw the Gladiator commercials for a solid couple of months before I actually saw one. My friend and I thought it was cool as gently caress, and then I saw one and it just looks like a piece of poo poo some redneck welded together in his barn.

I saw one for the first time last week. It was ghastly. How did they take something so easy to make awesome and release it as a pile of poo poo?

stevobob posted:

This is what I thought the Gladiator was going to come out as... the spiritual successor to my CJ8, which was the perfect truck, in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
FCA hates us so there's no way they'd give us an actual new Comanche.