Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Realistically do we have an idea of how long they'll actually wait to jump back into Star Wars feature films? Where would you set the over/under? 3 years?

Approximately two years after the second season of a confirmed original moneymaking Star Wars originating on Disney+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

‘Wokewashing’ is bad, but never trust anyone who makes it their sole concern.

Like, riddle me this: do you know Redletter’s political stance on literally any other topic?

IIRC Jack is a DSA member. I think they like Bernie?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I think we’re closer to consensus.

Babu Frik has brought us all closer together this Christmas.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Realistically do we have an idea of how long they'll actually wait to jump back into Star Wars feature films? Where would you set the over/under? 3 years?

My prediction: 3-4 seasons of Mandalorian that give depth to the return of Palpatine with a new trilogy built off the shows momentum in 2022. Season 2 is coming very soon.

Expect baby yoda to have main film synergy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Donovan Trip posted:

My prediction: 3-4 seasons of Mandalorian that give depth to the return of Palpatine with a new trilogy built off the shows momentum in 2022. Season 2 is coming very soon.

Expect baby yoda to have main film synergy.

And you'd expect zero individual "A Star Wars Story" films between now and then? There aren't any in production already? I think a 3 or 4 year layoff is just what the franchise needs but I'm skeptical that Disney would agree with that.

Forgive my ignorance of the known release calendar, I don't stay up to date on those things.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

IIRC Jack is a DSA member. I think they like Bernie?

I know Bernie supporters who voted for Trump. Who you back in a popularity contest does not necessarily denote one’s ideology.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Just saw it for a second time and my updated verdict is that the film still sucks but the bit where the gang gets a clue when C-3PO finds a sith hood ornament is extremely awesome.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

ruddiger posted:

I know Bernie supporters who voted for Trump. Who you back in a popularity contest does not necessarily denote one’s ideology.

this is such an incredible stretch

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

And you'd expect zero individual "A Star Wars Story" films between now and then? There aren't any in production already? I think a 3 or 4 year layoff is just what the franchise needs but I'm skeptical that Disney would agree with that.

Forgive my ignorance of the known release calendar, I don't stay up to date on those things.

The Star Wars one off movies are probably done for a long time, but theres gonna be a number of small screen shows like TM the next few years. There's at least two other shows confirmed right now.

Disney would be smart to completely wipe the Skywalker baggage out and that seems to be the indication atm.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I thought there was suppose to be a Ben-Kenobi Star Wars Story film, but that it was canceled after how bad Solo did. I would have preferred A Star Wars Story movies exclusively, and not gotten the sequel trilogy at all, especially not the one we did end up with. The story of the Skywalker name didn't need more story.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Basebf555 posted:

That depends how you want to qualify jumping back. Disney undoubtedly has Star Wars films in production now.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
There is now a Kenobi TV show directed by Deborah Chow (she directed two of the best TM episodes)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Doesn't Disney have another trilogy in the early writing phases right now? Or did that get canned?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

Doesn't Disney have another trilogy in the early writing phases right now? Or did that get canned?

That was being made by the writers of Game of Thrones, but it was canned. Interestingly enough it was canned shortly after season 8 of Game of Thrones and the overwhelmingly loud and negative reaction to that season.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The Rian Johnson trilogy is probably still happening :dogwhistle:

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

kidkissinger posted:

people I dislike assuredly must be my enemies in every possible way

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

kidkissinger posted:

Never underestimate the stupidity of the Midwest.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Disney should just follow the Harry Potter franchise and let things go into cruise control with non-movie projects for awhile until nostalgia builds up for them to fumble the story of Rey's force sensitive grand kids and Teen Yoda 5 years from now.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Pollyanna posted:

I can see this being a pretty alright, possibly good movie if you turn your brain off completely for it and don't try to make sense of any of it (really don't do that), except that the beginning ruins it by giving you a gigantic headache. I'm surprised people are able to tolerate it. I think moviegoers have somehow developed the ability to simply shut out strobing lights and hyperactive cuts from their head.

As a person with epilepsy, I will say the Exogal scenes were a bit much. I loved the movie, but I had to look away a few times just to be safe.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Donovan Trip posted:

Yeah this is the one I was thinking of.

I said come in! posted:

That was being made by the writers of Game of Thrones, but it was canned. Interestingly enough it was canned shortly after season 8 of Game of Thrones and the overwhelmingly loud and negative reaction to that season.

A whole trilogy about if the confederacy won

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah this is the one I was thinking of.

A whole trilogy about if the confederacy won

RoS but at the end Kylo, Poe, and Finn all conspire to murder Rey because reasons

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Weirdest rlm criticism that sticks out to me is in the Avatar Plinkett review where he complains that the general and mercenaries portrayal is "kinda disrespectful to the troops"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Basebf555 posted:

No more, please. Focus on smaller scale stories. Only bring out the big guns when the narrative calls for them.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Uncle Wemus posted:

Weirdest rlm criticism that sticks out to me is in the Avatar Plinkett review where he complains that the general and mercenaries portrayal is "kinda disrespectful to the troops"

lol at calling a bad fictional space army disrespectful to the troops.

edit: I'm surprised that the Ewok movies aren't for sale digitally or available to stream anywhere. Are they that bad? You'd think these would have been put on Disney+ already.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 26, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Addendum to my post, though:

Donovan Trip posted:

I really genuinely might enjoy some SW movies by Rian Johnson, even though it’s far too early to dive back into big flicks. I’ve warmed up to TLJ a bit after TROS, cause it wasn’t that bad - it just got turbofucked at the end.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

I said come in! posted:

A few articles came out about it later, it was actually internally canceled before season 8 finished because the two of them signed a production deal with Netflix that precluded them working on Star Wars.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle Wemus posted:

lol for real?

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Spacebump posted:

lol at calling a bad fictional space army disrespectful to the troops.

edit: I'm surprised that the Ewok movies aren't for sale digitally or available to stream anywhere. Are they that bad? You'd think these would have been put on Disney+ already.

https://media.giphy.com/media/YVrRhVFGMlHNVh37Je/giphy.mp4

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Ewok movies are legit awesome, and committed to its storytelling, unlike the sequel trilogy.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Actually, come to think of it, Disney + doesn’t have the old Droids tv series either, right?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There's a lot that Disney still has but hasn't put up on D+ (and I mean besides Song of the South), I assume some stuff will rotate in and out. I'm waiting for Island at the Top of the World which flopped so hard it killed a planned theme park expansion.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

ruddiger posted:

Never underestimate the stupidity of the Midwest.

Man, gently caress you

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

tylersayten posted:

Oh noes a YouTube channel points out how Disney’s pandering to social justice is literally nothing but superficial, as evidenced by their pandering to china - a dictatorship country literally performing genocide/ethnic cleansing on the Uighurs right now - by editing out black characters from their movie posters, makes edits/even alternate cuts of their films for china, opening up sweatshops, etc.

But trashing committee movies like captain marvel and disney Star Wars for offering nothing makes them the bad ones

Disney pumping out US military propaganda with the Marvel films as the US bombs multiple countries is more concrete evidence of them being faux progressive than conspiracies about China forcing Disney to edit film posters.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
China didn’t make Disney edit the posters - Disney did it themselves. Which is much more odious.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

ruddiger posted:

The Ewok movies are legit awesome, and committed to its storytelling, unlike the sequel trilogy.

ruddiger posted:

Speaking of which, where’s the animated clone wars shorts? I can’t find them on Disney + either

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Disney probably hates Genndy Tartakovsky or something

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Droids owned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riIOiNq0RHk

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Droids were owned.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Saw the movie. I think there were some things I would've done differently but overall I thought it was satisfying as an end to this trilogy and, god willing, all Skywalkers and related persons.

I think Rose got done dirty, the scenes with Carrie Fisher were understandably janky and I wished they'd used her less, we never did get an explanation of why Maz had Luke's original lightsaber or how Palpatine managed to survive (I was hoping he'd be some kind of Sith equivalent of a Force ghost rather than an actual being -- or was he, until the end?). I also didn't like Luke's Force ghost raising the X-Wing, because if force ghosts can actually do things, why limit it to raising an X-wing? I actually liked seeing a bunch of different planets in succession, so that bit didn't bother me at all.

I think Rey and Ben and Palpatine all dying would've been a better ending, leaving the galaxy without Force users for a period of time, and providing a great opportunity for the Force to come back to the universe in some sort of mysterious and interesting way later on. That would've actually given Disney an interesting place to go with future movies or TV shows.

But, you know, overall those are pretty minor gripes, and while it's not a revolutionary film by any stretch, it was good and satisfying in my opinion. 8/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Somebody make a South Park style chef clip with Carrie Fisher from this movie with badly pasted dialogue from previous movies