Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

KillHour posted:

The new UT is free and good, though? Also I'm like 99% sure someone remade Facing Worlds for it (even though that map is kinda boring and I don't get why everyone loved it so much).

mutators

also, what?

Had no idea there was a new/free one, but also I never got as much into UT as I did for the original.

stringless fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gromit posted:

I usually dislike crafting games, but loved Subnautica. Maybe because I played it about a year ago which is after it received a lot of patches/updates that improved it a shitload, and also because I scuba dive which maybe helps. The sea was a way more awesome environment than the usual terrain.

Oh for sure, it's a fun setting which is why I gave it a shot but in the end I just get bored immediately with gathering resources to build items to gather resources

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Anyway, today's game is FTL and tomorrow is...something with a helmet.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Hyper Light Drifter

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

FFT posted:

mutators

also, what?

Had no idea there was a new/free one, but also I never got as much into UT as I did for the original.

there isn't, the UT built on the UE4 engine ceased development in 2017 in a pre-alpha state.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Coolguye posted:

i dunno who you're talking to exactly, epic is not competing with steam precisely

Epic is absolutely competing with Steam. They’re literally undercutting them and doing deals to keep games off of Steam. If you don’t think there’s competition you are coming so far out of left field I don’t even know where a conversation with you can go.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Coolguye posted:

there isn't, the UT built on the UE4 engine ceased development in 2017 in a pre-alpha state.

Epic moved all the developers over to Fortnight when they realized it was a license to print money forever, but the 'new' UT is still available to play and is still really good fun, even if it's not finished.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Zesty posted:

Epic is absolutely competing with Steam. They’re literally undercutting them and doing deals to keep games off of Steam. If you don’t think there’s competition you are coming so far out of left field I don’t even know where a conversation with you can go.

that's bad competition, good competition is where consumers have a choice but network effects cause them to all choose the same option

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
It 100% is lighting a fire under Valve's rear end and requiring them to put in more effort, especially as this trend continues and more and more impatient gamers get their fix for new releases on EGS instead of Steam. EGS has barely been out for a year, it'd take at least 3-4 years to start denting the monopoly.

I'm not a gung ho capitalist by any stretch, but allowing monopolies with unfettered capitalism is terrible and bad for its own reasons... It's one of the only cases where the free market can actually solve the problem.

That said, gently caress China and gently caress the identity surveillance stuff, that really is sketchy.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

repiv posted:

that's bad competition, good competition is where consumers have a choice but network effects cause them to all choose the same option

Wasn’t condoning anyone.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Zesty posted:

i invite you to advance that argument to the people they are ostensibly competing for because they do not agree with you (see: the rest of that post).

they are in the information business and are "competing" for eyeballs and clicks because they are in the information business, a distinctly different goal and end than steam or gog, and not one that's terribly exclusive with anything. they're not solving the marketplace problems that the content creators (read: the people you actually must compete for because there are not that many of them) and as such are not even in the running for these people. even the larger creators have gotten pissed off at epic because they are not actually competing for them and are moving away from the platform (see: paradox, after a publicity stunt by epic hosed over their catalog for a while).

the exclusivity deals are not real or substantial competition on the fundamentals, and if we want to talk about 'pushing the hobby forward', that's what we care about.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 26, 2019

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
Isn't there an entire EGS thread you all can post your bad takes in?

I'm just here for the free games.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i actually paid for games this morning, so i must turn in my badge and gun

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

DiggityDoink posted:

Isn't there an entire EGS thread you all can post your bad takes in?

I'm just here for the free games.

They poo poo up that thread as well, I wouldn't be surprised if they got booted from there.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
This month's Twitch Prime games

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ape Out is showing up for free everywhere it seems.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Oooooooooooo, ape out, I'm coming for ye.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Cojawfee posted:

Not on Steam.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh for sure, it's a fun setting which is why I gave it a shot but in the end I just get bored immediately with gathering resources to build items to gather resources

Yeah, if it had just been resource gathering I wouldn't have enjoyed it. But the story with the radio messages and logs, breaking into parts of the crashed ship and weird alien stuff was fascinating to work through. And then you build the Prawn suit and go all spiderman and drill-punching.

e: edited to add that I'm not trying to convert you - you play what you want to play. I've certainly ignored games that everyone tells me "get really good" because I've bounced hard off the first few minutes. I mean, not enough to uninstall the client and never go back but still... :v:

Gromit fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 26, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Cojawfee posted:

Between Epic freebies, Twitch Prime and Xbox Game Pass I've definitely noticed overlap. It's one of the reasons I am starting to like Galaxy 2.0 to keep track of it all.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Samuringa posted:

This month's Twitch Prime games

These are only between Xmas and New Year's, BTW.
January's free games will be something else.

Mierenneuker posted:

Between Epic freebies, Twitch Prime and Xbox Game Pass I've definitely noticed overlap. It's one of the reasons I am starting to like Galaxy 2.0 to keep track of it all.

Someone asked if I wanted My Time at Portia the other week and I swore up and down I already had it.
After checking three storefronts I was amazed that I didn't actually own it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
dont you have to pay for twitch prime

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

~Coxy posted:

Someone asked if I wanted My Time at Portia the other week and I swore up and down I already had it.
After checking three storefronts I was amazed that I didn't actually own it.

it's on xbox game pass

site posted:

dont you have to pay for twitch prime

yeah but it's still game giveaways & a lot of people have amazon prime and aren't using twitch prime

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
so if i have amazon prime i can have twitch prime?

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

site posted:

Yes, you can link the two.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

site posted:

Yeah, you just link the accounts

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

site posted:

If you have amazon prime you do have twitch prime. Go get your free games and give some streamer $2.50 a month out of those monies you paid amazon (you get a free sub each month as well).

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Here's a link to how to do it.

https://help.twitch.tv/s/article/how-to-link-your-amazon-account

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
well thats neat, ty everyone

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Whats the last day for the free Epic games xmas giveaway?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Looks like the sale might end on the 1st, so maybe then?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

They’ve been advertising “12 days of free games”, so wherever that puts the last one.

E:
Dec 19 - Into the Breach
Dec 20 - TowerFall Ascension
Dec 21 - Little Inferno
Dec 22 - Ape Out
Dec 23 - Celeste
Dec 24 - Totally Accurate Battle Simulator
Dec 25 - FTL (current)
Dec 26 - Hyperlight Drifter (probably)
Dec 27 -
Dec 28 -
Dec 29 -
Dec 30 -

The 12th game of the current "free game a day" is December 30th. Maybe they'll have something else planned for the 31st/New Years?

Also, that's a quality batch of Indies so far, even if some are older!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 27, 2019

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
It's good, and will be the thing that makes epic worth an install for a couple people. But thanks to gog galaxy we never have to open it.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

ItBreathes posted:

If you have amazon prime you do have twitch prime. Go get your free games and give some streamer $2.50 a month out of those monies you paid amazon (you get a free sub each month as well).

sonofa

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Psycho Society posted:

It's good, and will be the thing that makes epic worth an install for a couple people. But thanks to gog galaxy we never have to open it.

It still opens EGS in the background doesn't it? It did when I tried GOG galaxy last week and ran Subnautica.
Course you don't have to 'look' at EGS though.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Steam already opens most games from other platforms without needing their apps to be running which makes this whole GoG 2.0 weirder to me.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
You can also open most steam game’s exe directly from the game folder unless the dev program it to require steam client.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Samuringa posted:

Steam already opens most games from other platforms without needing their apps to be running which makes this whole GoG 2.0 weirder to me.

Steam doesn't automatically scan for what games you own though. I just wish you could use it to tell your PS4 to download a game.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Samuringa posted:

the main benefit people are getting out of GoG 2.0 is that it lets you look at a list of all the games you have owned across every launcher you can think of, automatically kept up to date -- meaning it gets a lot harder to lose track of a game you own and/or buy it twice accidentally

right now mine tracks: steam, epic, origin, uplay, battlenet, gog, humble bundle, twitch, and xbox (plus rockstar but I only own one game on it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How do you get it to do twitch? It isn't in the default and nothing showed up in that "search for other things" box.