Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

NikkolasKing posted:

A bad spinoff of a niche series is on PSN. If Digital Devil Saga can be put on PSN, they can put Xenosaga on there. Xenosaga also sold better than either DDS game.

This rear end in a top hat has been making this excuse for ten years. I don't believe it. An HD collection be great but the fact they haven't even put it on PSN or any other digital platform is ridiculous. They just aren't even trying.

why are you getting pissed off at katsuhiro harada. he's literally not in charge of these decisions guy just makes tekken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Why would it even be less of a problem if they weren't modeled on real people? Like, it's a huge problem for gay men that we're stereotyped as predators, and especially as predators of young men (this can be a problem in the gay community, but it's a subset). When the only two explicitly gay men in the game are straight up predators that's....well, being outright modeled on real gay men is an extra large cherry on the already bigoted poo poo sundae.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

punk rebel ecks posted:

I just explained in the post you quoted why I suspected that wasn't the case.

Yeah my point was that it was a dumb assumption because....there's only the two gay people in the game so when they say "Oh those gay people were based on someone" you've only got the one option. So like I said, it reads as you're either arguing in bad faith or just stupid so being slightly rude is justified because on top of it all you're missing the entire point of the argument it was part of.

The Colonel posted:

why are you getting pissed off at katsuhiro harada. he's literally not in charge of these decisions guy just makes tekken

Harada owns Bandai Namco, and he knows that Xenosaga isn't even half as good as DDS.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Why would it even be less of a problem if they weren't modeled on real people? Like, it's a huge problem for gay men that we're stereotyped as predators, and especially as predators of young men (this can be a problem in the gay community, but it's a subset). When the only two explicitly gay men in the game are straight up predators that's....well, being outright modeled on real gay men is an extra large cherry on the already bigoted poo poo sundae.

It's a problem either way, but I feel that targeting activists is even more egregious. Not saying that the two people being activists or not is the definer of "tipping the scale" for me, but it came as a surprise.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah my point was that it was a dumb assumption because....there's only the two gay people in the game so when they say "Oh those gay people were based on someone" you've only got the one option. So like I said, it reads as you're either arguing in bad faith or just stupid so being slightly rude is justified because on top of it all you're missing the entire point of the argument it was part of.

Forgive me for thinking that there could have been a scene I missed with other characters in a near 100 hour game.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 26, 2019

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Well weirdly enough...people were talking about the only gay people in persona 5 being the two sexual predators and then someone said "Yeah the gay couple in Persona 5 are modeled after IRL Gay right's activists." So I don't know if you actually are. That lack of following the conversation plus the whole "They're not actually that bad. You're just being ridiculous" poo poo makes it seem like you weren't really arguing in good faith so the aggravation is justified
I don't know why you're inserting yourself into every argument in order to yell at people, but it sucks and you shouldn't do it

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, a lot of the nostalgia is "Goddamn was Xenosaga a trainwreck", and I don't think you're gonna sell all too many copies just have people go "yup, that sure was a trainwreck" and play maybe an hour or two of the first Episode.

I think the first hour or two of the first episode either has no gameplay or battles where you can only run... That probably supports your viewpoint, on second thought.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this argument is more biting social commentary than persona 5

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Forgive me for thinking that there could have been a scene I missed with other characters in a near 100 hour game.

So like I said you weren't reading what was posted cause people were talking about how they were the only gay characters.

OddObserver posted:

I think the first hour or two of the first episode either has no gameplay or battles where you can only run... That probably supports your viewpoint, on second thought.

There's a section where you get to do like 5 fights between 20 mins of cut-scene and then it's like 3 hours of cut-scenes and running from one end of that ship to the other over and over. It's so bad. And then your reward for getting through all that is to play as Ziggy and meet the creepy child robot (1 of 2).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The Colonel posted:

Well what he's done to Tekken is why I don't like him. Lifelong Tekken fan but the series really went to poo poo after 6 and maybe it's unfair to blame it all on Harada but he is the name most associated with Tekken's development in the last ten years.

But he's always been the one talking about this. Last time this came up years ago now he was the one who asked fans to do a survey or whatever and vote for an HD collection and then said "nope, sorry, not enough signatures."

But mostly I'm just frustrated Xenosaga isn't on PSN. It would cost them nothing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
SAVE ME FROM THAT BLOOOOOODY DESTINY
HOW DO YOU FEEL SEIZING ME NOW?
YOU MADE ME LIKE THIS

FROM THAT BLOOOODY DESTINY
OH GOD YOUUUU CAN'T
LEEEET ME DOWN

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Well what he's done to Tekken is why I don't like him. Lifelong Tekken fan but the series really went to poo poo after 6 and maybe it's unfair to blame it all o nharada but he is the name most associated with Tekken's development in the last ten years.

But he's always been the one talking about this. Last time this came up years ago now he was the one who asked fans to do a survey or whatever and vote for an HD collection and then said "nope, sorry, not enough signatures."

But mostly I'm just frustrated Xenosaga isn't on PSN. It would cost them nothing.

A) T7 is the best tekkens ever been.
2) It would cost them their pride.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Not necessarily. PS2 games do require either porting to PS4, or being run through the emulator for PSN, that isn't always perfect with a game right away. Either way, it might not be so simple as just throwing it on PSN.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

he asked people to retweet and like a tweet to gauge interest and it maybe got 50 people so that's not really his fault and also not something actionable on in the first place

you're also the first person i've seen to have a negative opinion on tekken 7.

also putting ps2 games on psn for ps3 is kind of a stupid proposition in 2019.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bamco just wants nothing to do with xenosaga really beyond marketing telos and kosmos. the entire thing was a dog and pony show.

and harada's one of the heads of bamco but he isn't president, he's just general manager. he has people well above him.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
persona sucks

i've been playing mega man battle network 3 and it's pretty fun! i played the first one as a kid and just bumbled through to the endgame not really understanding how the chip system worked at all but this is a pretty solid deckbuilder with lots of varied options for play. also the enemy designs are so good i wanna collect lots of chips just to see the artwork. I'll probably go back and try 1 and 2 after this before skipping to 5 because 4 is apparently trash garbage

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

So like I said you weren't reading what was posted cause people were talking about how they were the only gay characters.

Except that nobody said "these were literally the only gay characters in the game". My post was filled with responses of people pointing out other things that have occured in the series. I thought maybe Endorph added something to the list. For some reason you can't swallow that down.

Looking at just the last few pages before you began responding to me, I see I'm not alone with your strange diatribes.

Endorph posted:

this argument is more biting social commentary than persona 5
The whole series really.

Though I haven't played 1 or 2. I should really get around to that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Lifelong Tekken fan, hates tekken 7

???

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Looper posted:

persona sucks

i've been playing mega man battle network 3 and it's pretty fun! i played the first one as a kid and just bumbled through to the endgame not really understanding how the chip system worked at all but this is a pretty solid deckbuilder with lots of varied options for play. also the enemy designs are so good i wanna collect lots of chips just to see the artwork. I'll probably go back and try 1 and 2 after this before skipping to 5 because 4 is apparently trash garbage
1 and 5 are also kinda bad. Not as bad as 4 but 5s gimmicks dont work that well and 1 is more proof of concept than anything

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Looper posted:

persona sucks

battle network 1 is insanely underfeatured and mediocre and bn2 is kinda just a rough sketch for bn3 but with waaaaaaaay more tedious backtracking, though it does have a scene where you have to rap with a guy on a plane for an actual bottle of beer

bn4 is kinda just as bad as people say it is which is a shame cause it has a lot of fun characters but by nature they all only appear for like. five minutes. and while bn5 has some fun bits of writing the srpg bits are really bad. bn6 though is pretty much the best game in the series and there's nothing negative i can really say about it, strong improvement on a lot of bn3 with no major issues holding it back and it has the funniest side villain cast in the series, and it retains all of the actual good chips bn4 introduced like airhockey, good game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
bn5's main real saving grace is that it's the only time in the series where higsby, princess pride and ribitta actually get to have somewhat major roles, it's kinda undermined though by being only in team colonel and since they built the version differneces to be really easy to swap around they still really don't get a lot to do. but ribitta and pride get really good redesigns at least. oh and obvs if you haven't played bn1 or 2 higsby and pride getting to actually do things doesn't really mean a lot to you lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Airhockey is my favorite chip

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Airhockey was busted as hell, not that that's a bad thing.

I was partial to vulcan chips, personally, and will always have a soft spot for life sword.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

chumbler posted:

A lot of the nostalgia is also just KOS-MOS and T-elos, if we're being real. Which is to say, put them in Tekken or SC, Harada.

They’re in xenoblade 2.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Also constantly in the Namco X Capcom franchise universe

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Phantasium posted:

he asked people to retweet and like a tweet to gauge interest and it maybe got 50 people so that's not really his fault and also not something actionable on in the first place

you're also the first person i've seen to have a negative opinion on tekken 7.

also putting ps2 games on psn for ps3 is kind of a stupid proposition in 2019.

Tae posted:

Lifelong Tekken fan, hates tekken 7

???

It's just the ultimate example of Mishimas Matter But Nobody Else Does. Surprised you haven't seen this since I heard about it from the beginning.

The Mishima plot peaked in Tekken 4 a billion years ago. They've just been dragging and dragging and dragging it out .

We didn't appreciate all that Tekken 4 did for the characters but after several games where non-Mishimas get joke endings, you look back with a lot of appreciation at how serious it was and how it tried to develop the entire cast.

I'm sure that Nina/Steve subplot will come to fruition any day now.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

srw endless frontier exceed got an english translation so you can now watch kos-mos do 100 hit juggle combos and still only barely understand what's going on in the game, if you want.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Battle Network is one of my formative video games and had a role in me getting into localization, and I want a Switch collection so bad.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

It's just the ultimate example of Mishimas Matter But Nobody Else Does. Surprised you haven't seen this since I heard about it from the beginning.

The Mishima plot peaked in Tekken 4 a billion years ago. They've just been dragging and dragging and dragging it out .

We didn't appreciate all that Tekken 4 did for the characters but after several games where non-Mishimas get joke endings, you look back with a lot of appreciation at how serious it was and how it tried to develop the entire cast.

Don't play Any Fighting Game for the Story.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

People generally like the joke endings (which even the Mishimas get more often than not) and non-serious tone from what I see, so I think you're just arguing taste here.

Also Tekken is a better commentary on how a few powerful people can ruin life for everyone and simply removing the one in power doesn't fix anything than Persona 5.

Don't play Any Fighting Game for the Story.

Alternately, do, because they're fun when they understand their tone and are written by people who care.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Caphi posted:

Battle Network is one of my formative video games and had a role in me getting into localization, and I want a Switch collection so bad.

I think it's pretty likely given that the previous Legacy Collections have all done well, they're due to announce an .EXE mobage in the next year, and the subseries would have a larger potential nostalgia base than the Zero/ZX collection they're making now.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

chumbler posted:

People generally like the joke endings (which even the Mishimas get more often than not) and non-serious tone from what I see, so I think you're just arguing taste here.

Also Tekken is a better commentary on how a few powerful people can ruin life for everyone and simply removing the one in power doesn't fix anything than Persona 5.

Alternately, do, because they're fun when they understand their tone and are written by people who care.

I love the King of Fighters lore that came up in another thread. The edgy rival character being part of a jazz fusion band is the best thing I have ever read.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

I love the King of Fighters lore that came up in another thread. The edgy rival character being part of a jazz fusion band is the best thing I have ever read.
the best part of that lore isnt that hes in a jazz fusion band, its that the main villains of the orochi arc are motivated by thinking his jazz fusion band sucks

the resurrecting a demon part just kind of happens by coincidence

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That's how you can tell they're villains, because Arashi no Saxophone is great.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also king of fighters has this exchange

quote:

Iori: Hmph. I'm not so low that I'd take a young girl's life.
Kyo: Wow, you're a regular feminist.
Iori: Shut up! One more smart remark and I'll kill you.
Kyo: You were gonna kill me anyway, dude.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

NikkolasKing posted:

The jump in quality between tekken 6 and tag tournament 2 is a vertical wall.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Colonel posted:

bn5's main real saving grace is that it's the only time in the series where higsby, princess pride and ribitta actually get to have somewhat major roles, it's kinda undermined though by being only in team colonel and since they built the version differneces to be really easy to swap around they still really don't get a lot to do. but ribitta and pride get really good redesigns at least. oh and obvs if you haven't played bn1 or 2 higsby and pride getting to actually do things doesn't really mean a lot to you lol

5 apparently lets you play as other navis and honestly that's enough of a hook for me. this post is (appropriately enough lol) telling me team colonel is the definitive version. i do remember higsby though! or at least that he was a villain in the first game who really just wanted to collect trading cards battle chips

i just finished the zoo scenario and "evil zookeeper uses embedded chips to control animals and harass people, except the panda because it's too lazy" owns

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just as a heads up:

The Atelier Dusk DX collection had a day 1 patch for Switch in Japan. It was to add Chinese translation, but was quickly followed up with a second patch to resolve more issues. Escha&Logy and Shallie had around an 800mb patch. Ayesha was only around 300mb. I get the feeling the Asia version with English is going to end up with a similar patch since it's coming from Koei Tecmo Taiwan.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

srw endless frontier exceed got an english translation so you can now watch kos-mos do 100 hit juggle combos and still only barely understand what's going on in the game, if you want.

ty for reminding me. i loved that first game so dang much back in the day

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

the only good persona things are: the persona 1 manga, persona 2, and some songs from the later games :colbert:

anyhow, ff7 is a pretty fun time even with some of the questionable minigames (marching, fort condor)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I will be the hot take person and say p5 is fun, and will get Royal when it comes out in asia (cause the dub murdered everytime they say Ryuji's name)