Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those are poo poo though, they're huge and clunky and only work on a very limited selection of bikes.

This kind has far, far more utility and is one of the best tools I've ever bought.

The utility grows exponentially if you combine it with a conventional set of paddock stands or a front wheel chock as you can take either end of the bike or the engine out easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Agreed that smaller type of lift/jack is WAY more useful and as a bonus takes up less space. And yeah, rear paddock stand and that thing under the engine and you can securely take out both wheels.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

Those are poo poo though, they're huge and clunky and only work on a very limited selection of bikes.

This kind has far, far more utility and is one of the best tools I've ever bought.

The utility grows exponentially if you combine it with a conventional set of paddock stands or a front wheel chock as you can take either end of the bike or the engine out easily.

That is rad and I wish I’d had it for working on my street bike that had all four headers hanging lower than the frame.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Happy holidays guys and gals! Hope a fat man stuffed your stocking with lots of useless motorcycle farkles!

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I have one similar to that Princess Auto one, which comes in handy if you need to move the bike around while it's jacked up. It's just a heavy pain in the rear end when there isn't a bike on it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Deeters posted:

I have one similar to that Princess Auto one, which comes in handy if you need to move the bike around while it's jacked up. It's just a heavy pain in the rear end when there isn't a bike on it.

Yeah, I got the harbor freight version of that one. It’s great for working on dirt bikes with skidplates. I think I’m going to get something simpler like the dirt bike stands that cam up with a single foot lever, and maybe build a small platform with casters if I think I need to move it. The lift is always in the way though.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Sounds like you need a lift for the lift so you can lift your lift out of the way when you're not lifting things with it

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Renaissance Robot posted:

Sounds like you need a lift for the lift so you can lift your lift out of the way when you're not lifting things with it

Don’t be silly.

I need a hoist. A lift hoist so I can hoist the lift when nevermind

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I need to wait until Princess Auto has a sale on slightly bigger garages :(

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

Never used one of those, the bike frame rests on those “pedal stands”? So you just lift one end of the bike at a time (even with a wheel chock)?

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Use a rear stand to level the bike and lift the rear, then use that jack to lift the front of the bike (get as far forward of the CG as you can, so it won't tip forward). What that jack brings that most don't have is those pegs to hold the bike up by its frame rails, otherwise you might have to pull the exhaust off to get access to a clean flat liftable area.

The jack orients crosswise to the bike, if that was the question.

EDIT: While looking for photos to show the orientation I see a lot of people don't use a rear stand, they just lift the entire bike w/ a scissor jack, but I'm a scaredy who wants things super-stable. Plus I think with Slavvy's stand you'll need rear support regardless. If you're pulling the swingarm off that's not possible, and I'd use a front stand and move the scissor jack back.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 26, 2019

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It really depends on the shape of the bike, i almost never use those little pedestal things, they're pretty much only useful on v-twins and i4's with awkward exhausts and perimeter frames.

I've found on the really easy flat bottomed bikes like cruisers, you can use the jack entirely by itself to get one end of the bike in the air. But most of the time it's easy enough to stick the front wheel in a chock and jack the rear.

If I'm doing forks or whatever I put the bike on the lift upright, strap the tail to the lift platform either side and jack under the front of the engine to get the front wheel in the air.

Also super handy for doing awkward/heavy rear wheels - roll the wheel into place, slowly lower the bike so the holes line up, insert axle. No painful lifting required.

Really good for fitting engines also.

Hard to see but a chock is permanently bolted to the lift, holding the front wheel. Platform jack holds up the engine, lovely ratchet strap holds the frame up. Ducati SST # 42069

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 26, 2019

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I am so unmechanical, just looking at that picture fills me with anxiety.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Toe Rag posted:

Same but because I keep thinking of this:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They just gave one of these away on The Price is Right

http://m.ssrmotorsports.com/model/buccaneer_cafe.php

I completely forgot SSR existed, but a 250cc V-Twin sounds pretty awesome if it isn’t garbage.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That looks like the lifan copy of the Yamaha Virago 250 motor.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Anyone read Bike magazine? Does anyone hate the format change on the iPad as much as I do?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Toe Rag posted:

I am kinda mechanical, so I am wondering what's preventing the drivetrain from falling over left or right? Is that wood underneath the engine more elaborate than I'm seeing? Those cases are angled underneath aren't they?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They are angled underneath yeah, I have two slivers of that tiny plank stuff that goes around doorframes and poo poo strategically positioned to stop it falling over.

Also at that point the oil filter is sacrificial too but you could get around that if need be.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

If I were to buy a jack/stand thing, what features should I look for? Everything I see seems to be some variation on this, https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/sca-sca-atv-lift---680kg/284935.html so I guess I just find a cheap enough good enough version?

And do you tie the bike down to it before you raise it up?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those are poo, not recommended, what are you trying to do? Take both wheels off at once?

Generally if you're working on the ground you don't tie anything to anything.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah those ATV stands do technically work if you screw around with straps and bits of wood but they're really annoying, not designed for bikes, and I'd just get front/rear stands instead.

SirLeigh
Aug 9, 2008

Finally got my first bike. I don't think the Bung King crash bars look as bad as I thought they would.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah on an all black bike they just blend in

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SirLeigh posted:

Finally got my first bike. I don't think the Bung King crash bars look as bad as I thought they would.

:allears:

Get a GoPro.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

SirLeigh posted:

Sweet bike, post about your rides and stuff you do to it in here, we’re all a bunch of laid back guys who like bikes

SirLeigh
Aug 9, 2008

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Sweet bike, post about your rides and stuff you do to it in here, we’re all a bunch of laid back guys who like bikes

Thanks, I know you guys are cool. Been lurking for a while.

My first time out today I whiskey throttled and ran over one of those middle-of-the-road flappy signs for pedestrians. Am I doing it right?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

yes :D

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

SirLeigh posted:

My first time out today I whiskey throttled and ran over one of those middle-of-the-road flappy signs for pedestrians. Am I doing it right?

Slavvy posted:

:allears:

Get a GoPro.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Those are poo, not recommended, what are you trying to do? Take both wheels off at once?

Generally if you're working on the ground you don't tie anything to anything.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Yeah those ATV stands do technically work if you screw around with straps and bits of wood but they're really annoying, not designed for bikes, and I'd just get front/rear stands instead.

Mostly I just wanna lift the bike a bit when I'm working on it and be able to get wheels off. One at a time's fine though, and lifting's not necessary really, just kneeling on the concrete sucks.

So front/rear stands something like https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Rear-Bike-paddock-Stand-Wheel-Lift-Chock-Garage-Motorcycle-Cruiser-/162958892915 right?

Guess I'll see if anywhere near here's got some and if they'll clear my exhaust.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah something like those, although those in particular don't seem to have the most useful fittings for lifting the bike. Flat rubber tabs for the rear and dual rubber pegs for each side of the front is the most useful, generally. There are exceptions, like a steering stem hinged device is often better for sport or sport-ish bikes and you'll need something fancier if you have a single sided rear swingarm.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have one of those cheap atv stands and it works great for both my bikes but I did have to make custom wooden support blocks for each one that go under the engine case because I'm extra. And you do need to strap it on somehow yeah.

They're probably too much of a hassle for a real mechanic to use, but for shadetree work they're a good deal.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you need to lift bikes but don’t have exhaust under the bike, these are amazing

https://www.harborfreight.com/high-position-motorcycle-lift-99887.html

It will get your bike pretty high up and allow you to work on the bottom half of the bike by just sitting on a chair and won’t kill your back doing it

It’s also handy for general stuff around the garage. I lift the back of my riding mower with it, and I’ve put a 4x8 piece of plywood on it and used it to lift just general heavy stuff

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 1, 2020

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Forgot how many things needed to come off my KLR to change the stator (seat, tank, front sprocket cover, shift lever, skidplate) - in the scheme of things it's not terrible, but just looking at the stator cover and being able to see all the bolts I'd assumed it'd be a 20-25 minute job, tops.

Did a bit of a number on my back - was doing the stator in advance of a multi-day ride that is now getting knocked down to 2 days so I can recover! At least I'll have time to try and wire in the volt meter.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If you need to lift bikes but don’t have exhaust under the bike, these are amazing

https://www.harborfreight.com/high-position-motorcycle-lift-99887.html

It will get your bike pretty high up and allow you to work on the bottom half of the bike by just sitting on a chair and won’t kill your back doing it

It’s also handy for general stuff around the garage. I lift the back of my riding mower with it, and I’ve put a 4x8 piece of plywood on it and used it to lift just general heavy stuff

That's p cool - if I had a garage (and lived in the US) I'd be tempted to buy something like that. I've also seen an old hospital bed used.

SirLeigh
Aug 9, 2008

I'm really considering one of the dollies from Harbor Freight. My garage is small, and my bike is kinda heavy for 15 point turns.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ethics_Gradient posted:

That's p cool - if I had a garage (and lived in the US) I'd be tempted to buy something like that. I've also seen an old hospital bed used.

:thunk: that’s..........actually a decent idea

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Go big or go home IMO:

Almost wish I was even vaguely competent enough a mechanic to justify one of these, but my bog standard Abba stand is more than good enough for any maintenance I'm ever going to attempt myself.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

iirc those are customized on a per model basis, so they’re really good but really expensive

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Go big or go home IMO:

Almost wish I was even vaguely competent enough a mechanic to justify one of these, but my bog standard Abba stand is more than good enough for any maintenance I'm ever going to attempt myself.

I've rebuilt 3 of those engines as a tech and even I couldn't justify buying one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oof yea