Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

MonsterEnvy posted:

Kylo should not have been redeemed for no reason.
I agree. And he never got redemption. Kylo Ren dies. Rey stabs him through the spleen.

It's Ben Solo who gets redemption. Yet another example of someone who missed a basic plot point.

Then again, anytime you have a movie that doesn't spoonfeed you information to appease the masses, there are always bound to be a few who get lost in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I said come in! posted:

But then this was followed up with literally nothing. No one was given hope, they just showed up anyways because Lando.

luke dunking on his nephew was supposed to inspire hope in people...somehow

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

One weird trick to giving people hope is just to say the word hope several times

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Say what you will about palpatine. But he's the kind of guy who deals with people so profoundly stupid that they will go ahead and kill him after he straight up tells them to their face that he will possess them if they kill him

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Bioshuffle posted:

I agree. And he never got redemption. Kylo Ren dies. Rey stabs him through the spleen.

It's Ben Solo who gets redemption. Yet another example of someone who missed a basic plot point.

Then again, anytime you have a movie that doesn't spoonfeed you information to appease the masses, there are always bound to be a few who get lost in the process.

this could be the start of a beautiful gimmick

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm really not that surprised Abrams wrote a story about the children of powerful people being more important than nobodies when he set his 20 year old son up with a job writing Spiderman comics. Art reflects life.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Sinteres posted:

At least the final fight scene being extremely anime is true to the original trilogy also ripping off Japanese cinema.
It was more an homage imo.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Brother Entropy posted:

A lot of the plot of TLJ is that Snoke didn't want to just win, he wanted to be invincible- to win so thoroughly that there would be no chance of another Rebel Alliance forming. Luke humiliating Kylo in front of his own men by getting him to fight a shadow while the Resistance snuck away showed that the First Order isn't invincible, and as Schwarzenegger once said, "if it bleeds we can kill it"

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

2house2fly posted:

A lot of the plot of TLJ is that Snoke didn't want to just win, he wanted to be invincible- to win so thoroughly that there would be no chance of another Rebel Alliance forming. Luke humiliating Kylo in front of his own men by getting him to fight a shadow while the Resistance snuck away showed that the First Order isn't invincible, and as Schwarzenegger once said, "if it bleeds we can kill it"

i guess but the rest of the movie up till then was the first order literally decimating the resistance until all that's left can fit on one ship, so like, even though kylo looked dumb in front of his guys it was still a pretty complete victory on their part

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I'm really not that surprised Abrams wrote a story about the children of powerful people being more important than nobodies when he set his 20 year old son up with a job writing Spiderman comics. Art reflects life.

Palpatine didn't want to hurt Rey, he just wanted to nepotism her into a high-pay low-effort space nazi middle manager job.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Brother Entropy posted:

Shaking my booty while apologizing to own the libs my nephew.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I will say I like their commitment to being done with the rey character, it leaves the door nicely open for the unfalsifiable possibility that palpatine did possess her. My head canon is that she(ev) quietly laid some groundwork for a few years, then started a career in new republic politics

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 26, 2019

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Brother Entropy posted:

i guess but the rest of the movie up till then was the first order literally decimating the resistance until all that's left can fit on one ship, so like, even though kylo looked dumb in front of his guys it was still a pretty complete victory on their part

If the third movie focused on rebuilding the resistance and finally overcoming the First Order it would be more inspiring though. I don't know if Johnson handled it well, but the idea of the underdogs suffering a near total defeat, feeling alone and isolated, and continuing to fight (and also not going out in a blaze of glory, but choosing to escape today to fight tomorrow), could be a compelling starting point for the finally. The original trilogy understood this with ESB. I feel like modern movies in general have been making the struggles the good guys go through more and more perfunctory, like having the bad guys win would be a bad moral or something. It's nice to see a movie end with a lesson other than "good will always win and any setbacks you have are temporary or unimportant". It was over the top, but I can only imagine the contrivances JJ would have gotten up to, having Snoke act like a villain from captain planet or something, only to be foiled again by plucky Rey and her two boy toys.

Incidentally, killing Snoke is one thing I really liked about TLJ. His presence in Force Awakens was stupid and bad, and dispatching him like the not-character he was was really satisfying to me.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 26, 2019

Lilikoi
Oct 11, 2012
TROS could have had Poe become a better leader and how he got people on their side - especially if news that some old jedi master humiliated the First Order came out.

Nah, just send Lando and don't show how he did it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

I will say I like their commitment to being done with the rey character, it leaves the door nicely open for the unfalsifiable possibility that palpatine did possess her. My head canon is that she(ev) quietly laid some groundwork for a few years, then started a career in new republic politics

This eternal old man just exists to mess up your democracy's pots and pans and chew the scenery, forever. He has many faces, and is effectively an immortal demigod. We will never be free of him. Somehow he is less loathsome than all the libs who he occasionally pretends to let himself be defeated by

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What was super strange to me, is that at the start of Rise of Skywalker, the rebellion fleet is back to what it was before the start of the Last Jedi. That hidden rebel base was well stocked with ships, equipment, and people even though they ended the Last Jedi with just a handful of people on the millennium falcon.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lilikoi posted:

TROS could have had Poe become a better leader and how he got people on their side - especially if news that some old jedi master humiliated the First Order came out.

Nah, just send Lando and don't show how he did it.

Rise of Skywalker should have been about Poe being in command from the start, but he is unsure of what to do and by the end he becomes a confident leader that brings the galaxy together to help Rey stop Kylo Ren (Palpatine should never have come back). All of the scenes with Leia were just there as super obvious nods to remembering Carrie Fisher, I didn't feel like I was watching Princess Leia for one last time, but instead some really morbid as gently caress Carrier Fisher remembrance film with advertising for new toys thrown in.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I said come in! posted:

What was super strange to me, is that at the start of Rise of Skywalker, the rebellion fleet is back to what it was before the start of the Last Jedi. That hidden rebel base was well stocked with ships, equipment, and people even though they ended the Last Jedi with just a handful of people on the millennium falcon.

Part of that was definitely just stealing bits of old Leia footage, which is why they're back on nondescript forest planet. But yeah, JJ just pretended that last part didn't happen, but apparently the "galaxy without hope" line had to be addressed. It's what makes it clear that this movie was a direct gently caress you to TLJ and Rian.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 26, 2019

Lilikoi
Oct 11, 2012

The Little Death posted:

It's what makes it clear that this movie was a direct gently caress you to TLJ and Rian.

"A Jedi's weapon deserves more respect."

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I would guess that after they escaped from Crait they got in touch with some of their allies in the outer rim who were like "oh you survived? Sick. Here's some ships or w/e"

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Presumably the tie in novel that explains how they got all the ships has some curb your enthusiasm in space scenes where leia guilt trips everyone who was willing to listen to her get murdered over the radio for x-wings

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's hard to blame JJ for blowing past Johnson leaving the rebellion with all but nothing, but choosing to ignore that because it stacked the deck too hard is kind of funny in light of him giving the emperor such a massive fleet that it trivialized everything the First Order had. They both wanted to make the rebels such extreme underdogs that it was laughable, they just couldn't agree on how to get there.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Sinteres posted:

It's hard to blame JJ for blowing past Johnson leaving the rebellion with all but nothing, but choosing to ignore that because it stacked the deck too hard is kind of funny in light of him giving the emperor such a massive fleet that it trivialized everything the First Order had. They both wanted to make the rebels such extreme underdogs that it was laughable, they just couldn't agree on how to get there.

That's actually a great point. It's so loving bad lmao.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

At least bring back the salt guy.

Lilikoi
Oct 11, 2012

Sinteres posted:

I could roll with that fleet even though it's dumb as hell, but finding out those people at the Palpatine Stadium weren't the ghosts of sithmas past, but actual people in some Sith cult blew my mind.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I said come in! posted:

*kneels down, wipes a finger on the ground of Exogol, sticks the tip into his mouth for a taste*
“... it’s Sith.”

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

I said come in! posted:

They didn't bother to discuss it, but basically some time had passed since TLJ. Kylo used that time to locate Exidor and find Palpatine (along with getting a new head general who wasn't a resentful fuckwad like Hux and gaining operational control over a good part of the former New Republic), while the Resistance used it to recruit some more people and get a new base and a few more ships.

I wouldn't have minded a Rian Johnson written/directed/not-interfered-with-by-Disney version of Rise of Skywalker split into a two parts (maybe with Part One in 2019 and Part II in July or December of 2020) that focused on the Resistance rebuilding and Kylo unraveling even if Palpatine came back somehow in a better explained, less stupid manner than he did in this version of RoS.

Though not if it interfered with Knives Out. Because Knives Out loving rocked. If The Rise of Skywalker is the price for Knives Out, I'll happily pay it.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 26, 2019

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Half correct. Disney is not legally able to release Star Wars in China on their own. In order to do so they have to go through a Chinese government owned company, who takes a pretty significant percentage of the profits. That company has to follow extremely strict and terrible censorship laws that the Chinese government has laid out. Did the Disney execs still sign off on those changes and agree to them? Yes, they did, so they are cowards and horrible people either way. Was it for a massive amount of money? Nope, the money made from the Chinese market for Western media companies is actually pretty tiny, for the game industry for example its like less than 6% for massive publishers like Activision.

I don't think Disney edited any of the sequels for China? The controversy is over a poster. The lesbian kiss in the new one was still in at least.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Making the series answerable in any way to adults who post about Star Wars online is the biggest mistake Star Wars ever made.

Star Wars should just be a job corps program for a starving army of practical effects engineers and a simple space adventure for bookish 13 year olds.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I said come in! posted:

That’s a rude way to talk about SMG.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
TROS should have started with Leia being dead but her ghost is guiding Rey and pleading to Kylo to come back as Ben. All the Carrie Fisher scenes were awkward, except for the flashback to when she trained with Luke. I know it was CGI but the context and delivery matters.

R2-D2 in a T-70 X-Wing with Poe should have had them fly down a trench of a ship and blow it up. R2 could have warbled something and Poe could reply, “this feels familiar? How?”

Also not glad they killed off Snap Wexley. Poe could have been promoted and have him be a squadron leader.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Making the series answerable in any way to adults who post about Star Wars online is the biggest mistake Star Wars ever made.

Star Wars should just be a job corps program for a starving army of practical effects engineers and a simple space adventure for bookish 13 year olds.

I'm genuinely curious to know what kids think of these movies. Are they fun because of the pew pew and laser swords, or are they incomprehensible?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Edit never mind I can midge it together in my head

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Intel&Sebastian posted:

There are people who are legitimately upset that a TIE fighter was able to make a jump through hyperspace despite being designed as a short range fighter.

It's a god drat science fiction movie with laser swords and little green people. It literally does not matter. I didn't give a poo poo about any of that nerd poo poo when I was a kid, and I don't give a poo poo now.

Swear to god some people find a way to squeeze all the fun out of everything. If people catered to bottom dwelling people like that, the movie would be an absolute disaster. Instead, they catered to real fans of the series who wanted to relive the magic of the original trilogy. If the original came out today, those same people would be complaining that explosions in space wouldn't cause a fire.

It's a movie, not an encyclopedia. People who can't suspend disbelief for an hour to enjoy a good cinematic experience deserve to be miserable imo.

What the hell do they want? Palpatine's payroll sheets and tax returns? What will it take before they're satisfied? I genuinely feel sorry for them. I do. The movie was fine the way it was.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Death Star was being developed by the empire, the Geonosians were subcontracted to work on the super laser.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I remember seeing a figure of 11 billion dollars made in merchandising on Star Wars before the Force Awaken came out.

And, as an additive, we ended up with three Cars movies and a bunch of shorts despite the actual movies underperforming compared to other Pixar movies because they made billions off of Mater and Lightning McQueen toys and shoes and other crap.

This is also why there’s a scene in Cars 2 where they have Mater be in like a dozen “costumes” in a thirty second period; every single one of those “costumes” were a different toy they put out.

Like Yogurt said, the real money’s in the merchandising!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Boxman posted:

Help me with continuity that has nothing to do with the new trilogy

I’m watching episode II and on Geonosis, Dooku is handed plans for the Death Star by one of the separatists. But we know from RO that the Death Star was developed by the Empire.

What?

An answer eligible for a No-Prize would go like this: Geonosians developed the overall plan, but it wasn't a complete specification, and implementing it (including, crucially, the superlaser) required the development of new technologies, which Imperial engineers led by Galen Erso had to invent and adapt as they went.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Bioshuffle posted:

Swear to god some people find a way to squeeze all the fun out of everything. If people catered to bottom dwelling people like that, the movie would be an absolute disaster. Instead, they catered to real fans of the series who wanted to relive the magic of the original trilogy.

The Rise Of Skywalker has basically nothing in common with the original trilogy except for some visual designs and character names

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Sinteres posted:

I'm genuinely curious to know what kids think of these movies. Are they fun because of the pew pew and laser swords, or are they incomprehensible?

Reminds me of how the prequels weren't initially rehabbed (insomuch as they actually have been) by OT fans having a change of heart. It was started by people who are now around 17-20 years old who genuinely loved them as kids who started to make memes out of them that didn't have that streak of mean spite and disappointment that stopped old people fans from embracing them in even a jokey way. I feel like that initial start from them opened the door for other people, and dovetailed with enough time passing to let old fans forgive and forget, but idk if it would have ever happened without them.

Kids enjoyed those movies.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Bioshuffle posted:

There are people who are legitimately upset that a TIE fighter was able to make a jump through hyperspace despite being designed as a short range fighter.

Really? I’d figure it just made sense to give your fighters something to counter a heavy advantage exploited by the other side.

I’m just confused how they were able to follow the Falcon in the beginning during the skip sequence.