Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I didn’t realize the games were original CDPR material.

That makes me wonder if Cyberpunk 2077 will be as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

The blacksmith on Ard Skellig who is pissed off that his son is dead and you shut him up with a request for Gwent.

lmao i was thinking of that exact same npc actually

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

enraged_camel posted:

They are sequels to the books, so lots of overlap with book characters and stories. But they also have their own characters and storylines that are not in the books, which is their intellectual property. I think they share rights with Mike Pondsmith for Cyberpunk, not sure there.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Think the witcher author sold the rights for CDPR to use his books for like 100 grand back when they made witcher 1.

They just reached a new deal to keep on using the witcher ip so people think there will be a witcher 4

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Also the stories for witcher 1 and 2 are kind of their own thing story wise since geralt loses his memory. Yen and Ciri arent even in them. Witcher 3 is more of a continuation of where the books left off.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'd like Witcher 4 to not be about any of the characters we know right now. Like a "create a Witcher" type thing where you're just some no name trying to scrape together a life hunting monsters and keep hearing songs about how awesome and heroic Geralt is and you get more and more grumbly as the game goes on. Like the biggest moment of the game could be getting to claim the rule of surprise on someone and walking away with an awesome new pot to boil potions in.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'd like Witcher 4 to not be about any of the characters we know right now. Like a "create a Witcher" type thing where you're just some no name trying to scrape together a life hunting monsters and keep hearing songs about how awesome and heroic Geralt is and you get more and more grumbly as the game goes on. Like the biggest moment of the game could be getting to claim the rule of surprise on someone and walking away with an awesome new pot to boil potions in.

I have a feeling that's the direction they'd likely go. Possibly a prequel to sometime not so long after the Conjunction of Spheres, when Elves still have a huge hold on the land, humans are newer and huddle together at night while ferocious beasts prowl the woods and fields.

Speaking of all the words I just wrote, no game has ever captured the "rural horror" element of The Witcher like Chapter 1 of the first game. The nights are dark and the music sets a perfect tone, people are gathered near fire or stay in the inn at night while wild ghost dogs roam and can even kill some of the citizens and militia. I remember playing it back when it first came out, and the atmosphere was so drat gritty to me because up to that point I'd only really played Elder Scrolls and Infinity Engine games. Witcher 1 owns.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Think the witcher author sold the rights for CDPR to use his books for like 100 grand back when they made witcher 1.

They just reached a new deal to keep on using the witcher ip so people think there will be a witcher 4

There was something from CDProjekt recently to the effect that they were moving to a dual intellectual property model, essentially (reading between the lines) that the next game after Cyberpunk will probably be a Witcher game.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Torquemada posted:

There was something from CDProjekt recently to the effect that they were moving to a dual intellectual property model, essentially (reading between the lines) that the next game after Cyberpunk will probably be a Witcher game.

If they want to trade back and forth between Witcher and Cyberpunk, similar to how Bethsoft does Elder Scrolls and Fallout, I'm loving on board. They have yet to produce a single bad game as far as I'm concerned.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

enraged_camel posted:

Cyberpunk 2077 is an RPG setting rather than a book series. The story will almost certainly be original, although they may use some game modules as inspiration.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

I have a feeling that's the direction they'd likely go. Possibly a prequel to sometime not so long after the Conjunction of Spheres, when Elves still have a huge hold on the land, humans are newer and huddle together at night while ferocious beasts prowl the woods and fields.

Speaking of all the words I just wrote, no game has ever captured the "rural horror" element of The Witcher like Chapter 1 of the first game. The nights are dark and the music sets a perfect tone, people are gathered near fire or stay in the inn at night while wild ghost dogs roam and can even kill some of the citizens and militia. I remember playing it back when it first came out, and the atmosphere was so drat gritty to me because up to that point I'd only really played Elder Scrolls and Infinity Engine games. Witcher 1 owns.

I think a prequel makes more sense and would be more interesting unless they wanted to do a Ciri story or a sorceress story.

Geralt is one of the last Witchers in a world that doesn’t really need them anymore. As you mentioned, I think making an original story set a century or so after the conjunction of spheres, perhaps as one of the first boys recruited into the schools, would be the way to go.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Yeah they pretty emphatically said that the end of Blood and Wine is the end of Geralt's story ... they could go back on that I guess, but more than likely I imagined he would just appear in other people's story. So I'd guess either a Ciri-focused story or a prequel are the most likely outcomes of a new Witcher game. Also agreed on Witcher 1 and its atmosphere. The game was absolute trash in so many ways, but also incredible in others and there was just something about that opening which was super unsettling.

Show talk, but am I understanding correctly that the husband of Calanthe that we see is Crach an Craite's uncle? Or am I getting confused with someone else

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

thepokey posted:

Yeah they pretty emphatically said that the end of Blood and Wine is the end of Geralt's story ... they could go back on that I guess, but more than likely I imagined he would just appear in other people's story. So I'd guess either a Ciri-focused story or a prequel are the most likely outcomes of a new Witcher game. Also agreed on Witcher 1 and its atmosphere. The game was absolute trash in so many ways, but also incredible in others and there was just something about that opening which was super unsettling.

Show talk, but am I understanding correctly that the husband of Calanthe that we see is Crach an Craite's uncle? Or am I getting confused with someone else

Yes, Eist Turseiach (sp?) is Crach's uncle indeed.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

thepokey posted:

Also on episode 5 I might be totally misremembering the game, but is there a chance the doppler is Dudu? Or at least a nod to him? From memory Dudu has a scar across his face and this doppler got face slashed. Is Dudu a book character at all too? I assume its just a coincidence or at the least a nod and not actually him. But still made me wonder

Dudu is in one of the short stories that seem to have been skipped. There's no way that doppler is him because he's not a creepy predator who murders people and transforms into them as some sort of fetish.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

CJ posted:

Dudu is in one of the short stories that seem to have been skipped. There's no way that doppler is him because he's not a creepy predator who murders people and transforms into them as some sort of fetish.

Yep, and Cahir outright says “you’re not one of the good ones.”

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Lil Peeler posted:

(books)It's going to suck not having Charles Dance as Emhyr. That dude can play authority like few other people I've ever seen. I'm assuming you're not going to use Duny's actor so who's on deck?

Watch this stuff, please. I got spoiled on this a couple days ago from someone else talking about casting for Duny, and it seems like a pretty major spoiler for everyone that hasn't read the books.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I just finished the Netflix series and... I have no idea what the story was, honestly. I played the first and third games, haven't read the books. Familiar enough with all of the main characters. But for some reason I found the show tremendously hard to follow.

I still enjoyed it but like I don't "get it"? Definitely made me want to re-play the game, though!

e; Also, really impressed with the production quality. Locations, costumes, effects all looked great. Only scene that looked pretty low-budget was when the gold dragon guy fell off the rickety platform into the abyss it looked really fake / poorly done lol

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 26, 2019

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Sab669 posted:

I just finished the Netflix series and... I have no idea what the story was, honestly. I played the first and third games, haven't read the books. Familiar enough with all of the main characters. But for some reason I found the show tremendously hard to follow.

I still enjoyed it but like I don't "get it"? Definitely made me want to re-play the game, though!

Yeah, it was not what I was expecting at all, coming from no experience with the Witcher franchise. I gather that the first few books are essentially standalone fairy tale stories like the first few episodes were, where Geralt wanders into town and finds out about the monster that's really not a monster and there's a noble or a wizard to blame. I'm assuming the later books go into the Nilfgaard stuff? It kinda felt like this season was a strange sort of prologue for the war with Nilfgaard that the last couple episodes hint at.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I’m absolutely down for a new trilogy of games with a new protagonist in a much earlier time frame. More monsters, more inter species conflict, Kaer Morhen brand new and full of trainees, what’s not to like.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, it was not what I was expecting at all, coming from no experience with the Witcher franchise. I gather that the first few books are essentially standalone fairy tale stories like the first few episodes were, where Geralt wanders into town and finds out about the monster that's really not a monster and there's a noble or a wizard to blame. I'm assuming the later books go into the Nilfgaard stuff? It kinda felt like this season was a strange sort of prologue for the war with Nilfgaard that the last couple episodes hint at.

Yeah its like you described. The first two books are the same way the show is. A collection of short stories that are mostly monster hunting adventures that play on classic fairy tales. After the first two books it then goes into the Witcher saga which is the main story line about Ciri.

Difference from the show is those two books don't focus on Ciri nearly as much. I think she isnt introduced until the 2nd book. While the first one features the Duny and Pavetta story. Makes sense why the show wants to introduce the three main characters with their own plot lines since Ciri is pretty much the main character for a good portion of the later books. Guess they could have handled it better since Ciri doesn't have much to do after Cintra is sacked.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I got about 18 hours into Wild Hunt, and bounced off of it because of how fuckoff much there is to do in that game. I assume this series takes place way before that.

It’s pretty good so far.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What is the total playtime of Witcher 3 if you do everything? Skipping like “collect every fuckberry” stuff

Also should I play it with the mod that makes Geralt look like Cavill

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

zoux posted:

What is the total playtime of Witcher 3 if you do everything? Skipping like “collect every fuckberry” stuff

I've not done everything but I finished all the main stuff and all the DLC and have 114 hours in the game

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

zoux posted:

It's about 100 hours if you're doing a short playthrough but the game can dovetail into major sidequests that rack up to around 150 hours for an average playthrough. Then you have Hearts of Stone which is about 10 hours and Blood and Wine which is closer to 30.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

zoux posted:

I explored more than 80% of points of interest across all the maps, and I was about 140 hours in when I beat the game.

That's without the DLCs, the first one of which is about ~10 hours and the second is about ~20, from what I've read.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I turned this off after the first 30 mins. It was bad, like very very bad. That Stregobor long tirade of exposition almost killed me. I thought, "well if it's THIS bad of writing I can't go on".

I'm glad I turned it back on. Ep 2 with the crooked piglet got me and from there I was in. By the time I ended the season I just wanted more.

Great stuff and I'm glad it exists.

For reference, I've neither read the book or played the games. I went in cold and I would put it in my top 10 for this year.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's about 100 hours if you're doing a short playthrough

Lol awesome

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I also want to megaplug Witcher 2: Assasins of Kings. Its not as polished as 3, but id call it a much more interesting game.

Geralt is just one man in the middle of this huge conflict (albeit a badass) and the game traps you in this grounds eye view of events. Countries and Kings are clashing all around you, and all you can do is try and steer stuff around you and do what little good you can.

You know how loads of games have one of two kinds of moral choice? You have "save the orphans or sell their organs" or "team up with terrorists who want to murder children, or team up with facists who want to murder children". W2 doesn't do that. You have the Witcher code (kill monsters; don't be an assassin; stay out of politics) and instead of asking you if you'll break that code, W2 forces you to choose which part of that code you'll break in service of the rest of it.

The big moral choice is who you team up with for most of the game. Vernon Roche is a murderous special ops leader, who'll merrily burn down an Inn to serve his goals. But he's a loyal patriot, he'll do anything to protect his country, and will step into danger to protect his men without a second thought. Or there's Iorveth, the elven terrorist, who views all humans, even peasants, as oppressors, and like other elves will throw away his life in some futile military attack. But he's also a wide-eyed idealist. He hates fighting, and wants nothing more than to settle down with his family and his pipe.

There's loads of jank, both in gameplay and story, but it's like someone took the Bloody Baron quest from W3 and made an entire game out of it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Agreed 100%. The Witcher series will pretty much only be known for the 3rd game, but I remember eating up every single scrap of news and previews of The Witcher 2 when it was announced. The story is interesting, and everyone is simultaneously despicable but also likable in some way. I've played through Witcher 2 probably about 8 or 9 times to completion, and it's such a lovingly crafted game. I managed to snag a collector's edition of all three games on ebay just so i can have cook knick knacks and give CDPR more of my money. And it looks like open world is what they're going to continue with now, but I also liked the chapter based area approach of the first two games.

Also, though it doesn't get mentioned much, Thronebreaker is a pretty drat good game as well. And even if you don't like Gwent, you can still just turn it down to super easy and cruise through the game making cool choices and such.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I turned this off after the first 30 mins. It was bad, like very very bad. That Stregobor long tirade of exposition almost killed me. I thought, "well if it's THIS bad of writing I can't go on".

I'm glad I turned it back on. Ep 2 with the crooked piglet got me and from there I was in. By the time I ended the season I just wanted more.

For reference, I've neither read the book or played the games. I went in cold and I would put it in my top 10 for this year.

Yeah, the exposition is a bit fookin' much. On the plus side, Ep. 1 ends with a fight done by the choreographer they'll have for season 2, and it's pretty dope

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

My main memory of W2 is how everyone was saying it's the new Crysis in terms of graphics and that you'd need a £2,000 powerhouse PC to run it.

It looked fine I guess.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

stev posted:

My main memory of W2 is how everyone was saying it's the new Crysis in terms of graphics and that you'd need a £2,000 powerhouse PC to run it.

It looked fine I guess.

Better than fine. Witcher 2 came out months before Skyrim and still, to this day, looks really good. And not sure about the Crysis comparisons, it ran quite well even on medium range hardware back in 2011. The only thing you couldn't reasonably turn on was Uber Sampling. And my GTX 1080 still can barely handle that setting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Witcher 2 looks a lot better if you turn down the bloom and use your GPU control panel to get rid of the sharpening. It's a pretty game that is unfortunately covered by a 2010s industry-standard color filter.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I'm glonna be honest with you: no, the writing doesn't get better. It's not Star Trek: Discovery level of awful but there are some lines that go splat, no matter what the actors do with them.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Witcher 2 is a weirdly ambitious RPG for a sophomore outing from a small studio. Not only was it developed in a new proprietary engine, they went with a genuine high-concept plot that guarantees players won't see a third of the content unless they replay the game. One of those development choices would be risky for an established studio. Remember in 2011 CDPR had released one game on a licensed engine* that released as a pile of crap and needed many free updates to become a sleeper hit.

In retrospect the fact that CDPR managed to stick the landing with Witcher 2 was an indication that their next title would be a smash hit.

*And they really only were able to make The Witcher because Bioware licensed them the Aurora engine for a song.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 26, 2019

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
re: The Wish
I used to argue it on Polish Witcher forums back in the dial-up modem era and I'm not changing that custom now. The Wish was for the djinn to grant them a child. It suits the requirement of binding their fates together and is granted via Ciri. We don't have an exact chronology of the stories but if 'A question of price' happens aftger 'The Last Wish' it also explains why Geralt had the bright idea to invoke the Law of Surprise with Duny

But I really came here to post this:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RedSnapper posted:

re: The Wish
I used to argue it on Polish Witcher forums back in the dial-up modem era and I'm not changing that custom now. The Wish was for the djinn to grant them a child. It suits the requirement of binding their fates together and is granted via Ciri. We don't have an exact chronology of the stories but if 'A question of price' happens aftger 'The Last Wish' it also explains why Geralt had the bright idea to invoke the Law of Surprise with Duny

Lol, no.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Witcher 2 is a weirdly ambitious RPG for a sophomore outing from a small studio. Not only was it developed in a new proprietary engine, they went with a genuine high-concept plot that guarantees players won't see a third of the content unless they replay the game. One of those development choices would be risky for an established studio. Remember in 2011 CDPR had released one game on a licensed engine* that released as a pile of crap and needed many free updates to become a sleeper hit.

In retrospect the fact that CDPR managed to stick the landing with Witcher 2 was an indication that their next title would be a smash hit.

*And they really only were able to make The Witcher because Bioware licensed them the Aurora engine for a song.

I won't need a detailed walkthrough to get the “good ending” or get all the good stuff in W3 will I

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

zoux posted:

I won't need a detailed walkthrough to get the “good ending” or get all the good stuff in W3 will I

Just don't be a terrible dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nope. There is a "good ending guide" but a lot of the choices for that decision are telegraphed pretty well. All I'll suggest is to exhaust every dialogue option you can before making a final decision. Yellow dialogue choices advance a conversation while white dialogue choices give you more context.