Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Junpei posted:

Honestly? I wouldn't be surprised if AFO let Shigaraki use his Quirk on prisoners who were restrained or evidence he wanted to remove.

This triggered some fan fiction in my head where Shigaraki rises through the ranks of the underworld by being the best "problem shredder" on the black market.

It also made me think that he could also have run a legitimate industrial paper shredder business, which I find delightful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

He still needs his hands, though, to represent the hands-on approach that makes him such an effective manager.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

He could have had a career as the "before" model for skin care products. Alas.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

He still needs his hands, though, to represent the hands-on approach that makes him such an effective manager.
I hope you feel bad because I spat some coffee out while chuckle-reading your doofus post! :mad:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
So what are the odds on Eraser and Mic's friend being sent to the same hospital that gave Deku the quirkless prognosis? Has it been but stated that AFO's doctor and Deku's is the same guy?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Nanigans posted:

So what are the odds on Eraser and Mic's friend being sent to the same hospital that gave Deku the quirkless prognosis? Has it been but stated that AFO's doctor and Deku's is the same guy?

I mean, it hasn't been outright stated, but it's pretty obvious that they are. The character analysis book that came out recent also revealed that the doctor owns hospitals and orphanages all over the country.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nanigans posted:

it hasn't been officially said, but side materials stated that tsubasa/ujiko has his fingers in hospitals and childcare facilities all over the country

either way the heroes' theory is that shirakumo's body got snatched en route to the morgue so it's kind of a moot point

e: curse yoooouuuuu

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I hope Deku really was quirkless and it wasn't the doctor playing some shady game for some reason. It'll be real dumb if Midoriya ends up related to the original OFA holder so Deku *also* has some otherwise undetectable quirk that will end up making him the strongest OFA user of all time or some poo poo. Technically the only proof of Deku's quirklessness would be the foot x-ray which could easily be faked by the doctor, which is what has me worried.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it's dumb too but it is pretty odd that Deku is the one person in the entire world without a Quirk besides one character in Vigilante who used to have a Quirk.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

ImpAtom posted:

I think it's dumb too but it is pretty odd that Deku is the one person in the entire world without a Quirk besides one character in Vigilante who used to have a Quirk.

All Might doesn’t naturally have a Quirk. It’s not really weird that people without a Quirk aren’t common in a series that focuses on professional superheroes

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

If Midoriya had stayed quirkless and didn't go to the superhero school for people with superpowers, we probably would have seen more quirkless people wherever he ended up instead. But in the story as is there's no reason for the other quirkless members of society to be relevant.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there's really not a lot of side characters outside of heroes/villains in this series

does all might's cop friend have a quirk?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

All Might doesn’t naturally have a Quirk. It’s not really weird that people without a Quirk aren’t common in a series that focuses on professional superheroes

Eh, it's still pretty unusual to be Quirkless in the series. It's treated as pretty drat abnormal and so far we've only seen two people in the entire series who were Quirkless, even counting Vigilantes which is less about Professional Superheroing.

IIRC it's also treated as particularly unusual that Deku was quirkless despite both his parents having Quirks.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

there's really not a lot of side characters outside of heroes/villains in this series

If he does, he's never used it on screen. He was described as "a human lie detector" once, and Vigilantes introduced his sister whose quirk is being able to tell if people are lying if she's touching them. So he might have that too, but it's unconfirmed.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gruckles posted:

If he does, he's never used it on screen. He was described as "a human lie detector" once, and Vigilantes introduced his sister whose quirk is being able to tell if people are lying if she's touching them. So he might have that too, but it's unconfirmed.

I think it was mentioned that he has a similar quirk but he doesn't use it because of the law.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Manatee Cannon posted:

Supposedly he has a quirk that can tell if someone's lying or not but all the citations are 'I read it in a Japan-only artbook' or 'Horikoshi posted it to his twitter once!'. His little sister has a similar quirk, so that tracks at least.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I liked the chapter in Vigilantes about Tsukauchi and Makoto since it showed how their Quirks had affected their sibling dynamic. While the two love and care for each other, they're not much for physical shows of affection because they need that to use their Quirks on someone. IIRC, Tsukauchi even complained that the only reason Makoto hugged him in that chapter was to pump him for information.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, it's still pretty unusual to be Quirkless in the series. It's treated as pretty drat abnormal and so far we've only seen two people in the entire series who were Quirkless, even counting Vigilantes which is less about Professional Superheroing.

IIRC it's also treated as particularly unusual that Deku was quirkless despite both his parents having Quirks.

I figure that 80% statistic is skewed by generation and the increasing number of Quirks every generation after the Glowing Baby -- it's not so strange to see Quirkless seventy- and eighty-year-olds, but the current generation's Quirkless-to-Quirked ratio is probably minuscule.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Poltergrift posted:

I figure that 80% statistic is skewed by generation and the increasing number of Quirks every generation after the Glowing Baby -- it's not so strange to see Quirkless seventy- and eighty-year-olds, but the current generation's Quirkless-to-Quirked ratio is probably minuscule.

I think that might even be official somewhere.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Clearly Deku was born with a Quirk, but his father, AfO, took it from him when he was a baby as a dramatic plot twist. :v:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"We're getting a divorce. I'm taking the dog and the Quirks with me."

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Clearly Deku was born with a Quirk, but his father, AfO, took it from him when he was a baby as a dramatic plot twist. :v:

Nah, we already know Deku's dad breathes fire which means he's obviously Endeavour. :v:

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

It's Godzillo.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
If AfO is Vader and Izuku is Luke, when does he fight his evil clone Izuukuu?

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Bigger Izuku Theory

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Remember Melissa Shield from the first movie? She was Quirkless too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Junpei posted:

Remember Melissa Shield from the first movie? She was Quirkless too.

Yeah but... anime movies.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah but... anime movies.

She's shown up in one of the spin-off mangas, and Horikoshi said in interviews that the film counts, if memory serves.

Also, the theory that the doctor managed to hide Deku's really having a quirk with something that'd show up on every medical checkup for the rest of his life seems... odd. And dumb.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If anything it makes me feel more certain that Deku is quirkless. Feels like the doctor would have been more involved in his childhood years if Deku had something worth investigating.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The big question is if the doctor can just copy quirks through taking blood or tissue samples or something or if he absolutely requires turning the subject into a noumu.

I'm wondering just because his grandson and some of Bakugou's other friends from grade school seem like they share quirks with early noumu. Pretty dark if they had to die or be turned into noumu.

Also his high end noumu in the tubes kinda bear a bit of resemblance to some of the bratty kids from the remedial exam.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

My assumption is that unless AfO himself made a special appearance at the doctor's office to sneakily steal Deku's telekinetic breath, the Doctor wouldn't otherwise have anyway to harmlessly yoink a quirk out of him. Noumu production has always been implied to be really hosed up in every way.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fabricated posted:

The big question is if the doctor can just copy quirks through taking blood or tissue samples or something or if he absolutely requires turning the subject into a noumu.

I'm wondering just because his grandson and some of Bakugou's other friends from grade school seem like they share quirks with early noumu. Pretty dark if they had to die or be turned into noumu.

Also his high end noumu in the tubes kinda bear a bit of resemblance to some of the bratty kids from the remedial exam.

One of the early flight quirk Noumu went specifically for Deku out of a crowd of 10 so they’re strongly implying it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

TheKingofSprings posted:

One of the early flight quirk Noumu went specifically for Deku out of a crowd of 10 so they’re strongly implying it.
I'm assuming you pretty much have to disappear if you get your already-expressed quirk taken. The winged kid already had his quirk, so if it was just TAKEN from him he and his parents and friends would probably notice!

I'm just trying to think of a way he could do it that it wouldn't have to explicitly involve dead/noumu'd kids since that seems a BIT too dark overall. But I guess it happened to Shirakumo.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fabricated posted:

I'm assuming you pretty much have to disappear if you get your already-expressed quirk taken. The winged kid already had his quirk, so if it was just TAKEN from him he and his parents and friends would probably notice!

I'm just trying to think of a way he could do it that it wouldn't have to explicitly involve dead/noumu'd kids since that seems a BIT too dark overall. But I guess it happened to Shirakumo.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't read previous posts.

If it's family, it's easy to hide!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

EDIT: Whoops, didn't read previous posts.

If it's family, it's easy to hide!
I'm re-reading some chapters and it's really looking like Ujiko seems to have a reach into schools...

Note where this high-end unveiling is.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

I'm re-reading some chapters and it's really looking like Ujiko seems to have a reach into schools...

Note where this high-end unveiling is.

Though we know the origins of Hood. He was a Fight Junkie guy like Rappa.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

MonsterEnvy posted:

Though we know the origins of Hood. He was a Fight Junkie guy like Rappa.
Yeah, that's the base body- but we don't know where the other quirks came from.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So the current crazy theory is that if Deku had a quirk, it was Super Regeneration. Something that wouldn't be visually distinguishable to the normal person and very difficult to ever figure out unless like... Deku broke something. The reason people are behind this is that the doc mentioned that, if they'd had Super Regeneration earlier, AFO might not have been FUBARd

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Anyone who's friends with Bakugo would know if they had regeneration very quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fabricated posted:

We had a child repeatedly and extremely painfully dismembered and reconstructed to do the same thing all over again.

Turning somebody into Frankenstein is nothing.