Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Perhaps I should have been clearer: I understand the narrative reasons for why Leia would be the most together of the three main characters. I'm more surprised that Disney from a money making perspective allowed Luke and Han to kinda suck in universe and then die, but not Leia until they had no choice due to Fisher's death. I guess Han had to die because that was Ford's condition for reprising the role, but I'm surprised Disney didn't make both Luke and Leia untouchable, instead of just Leia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I don't see anything wrong with this (except that I agree she should have died in the second one). Of all the other characters, Leia had her poo poo the most together in the OT. She was literally (as royalty) a born leader and was in the rebellion for the long haul. Han and Luke were just a couple boyish yahoos that got swept up in the thing she spearheaded.

I mean "Nothing wrong with it" if you want the message of your space opera to be that no one can change or improve themselves.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
do you think Palppy used force grip on his prostate?

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Do... you think he didn't??

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It's canon that palpatine enjoyed electrocuting his balls while he was force massaging his prostate,

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's gross to think of palpatine possessing rey and being a creeper about it. But we have to, because he definitely did, and would

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
ah the ol shock the cock

its not something you'd learn from a Jedi...

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many prostate massages some consider to be... unnatural.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Sydin posted:

Perhaps I should have been clearer: I understand the narrative reasons for why Leia would be the most together of the three main characters. I'm more surprised that Disney from a money making perspective allowed Luke and Han to kinda suck in universe and then die, but not Leia until they had no choice due to Fisher's death. I guess Han had to die because that was Ford's condition for reprising the role, but I'm surprised Disney didn't make both Luke and Leia untouchable, instead of just Leia.

I posted this earlier in the thread, the rumor is that Disney killed off most of the old crew to stiff Lucas out on the toy sales.
As he would get a part if it was from a char he 'made'.
And they must have decided to make Leia the bridge from the old to the new, which backfired.

So make the cool heroes into grumpy boomers, kids won't buy that!

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I admit I was being provocative. It's hard to get a good conversation going here sometimes!

The specific structure of The Hero's Journey notwithstanding, I do think that most adventure stories being about young men from humble origins that go on a grand adventure and become glorious heroes almost certainly reflects a society that regards men as worthless unless they Do Things, and stories about women tend to be personal stories about romance and relationships because it reflects a society that regards women as worthless unless they can Find a Lover.

There's something to be said for an adventure story that would cast a woman in exactly the former role without compromising, but as a sequel to Star Wars, I found it refreshing they didn't just clone Luke except he happens to be a woman this time. Luke starts out gung-ho about adventure and excitement and learns that his relationships are more important, and Rey starts out defining herself by her relationships (or lack thereof) and learns it's what she chooses and does that make her what she is.

It's gendered in a way that's perhaps not particularly feminist, but I think it makes for a neat story in this case :shrugs:

sorry, you explained this. I didn't read the thread

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew
Just further making GBS threads up this lovely star wars thread

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Emperor Palpatingtine

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

galagazombie posted:

I mean "Nothing wrong with it" if you want the message of your space opera to be that no one can change or improve themselves.

Some people did, and some people made mistakes. Just like real life. Fine by me.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
It’s okay to be sad when people die even if you didn’t personally know them or if they had an easier life or more opportunities than a lot of people. It’s definitely less weird than needing everyone to know how much you aggressively don’t give a poo poo about them dying.

Sydin posted:

They totally didn’t have to kill Leia, they could have easily ended the movie with her alive, she’s a fictional character at the end of a saga, the audience would have played along with the idea that she’d just be out there somewhere doing something in the universe. Again, Furious 7 handled this better.

It is kinda weird that this trilogy that was so obsessed with the OT killed Han, Luke and Leia. They couldn’t even help themselves from trying to reap the emotional benefits of making the audience think Chewbacca & C3PO were dead too.

happyhippy posted:

I posted this earlier in the thread, the rumor is that Disney killed off most of the old crew to stiff Lucas out on the toy sales.
As he would get a part if it was from a char he 'made'.
And they must have decided to make Leia the bridge from the old to the new, which backfired.

So make the cool heroes into grumpy boomers, kids won't buy that!

I don’t think Lucas kept merch rights, he sold the entire franchise including merch rights for a combo of money and Disney stock. Disney makes money on merch and licensing including on the legacy characters. I might be wrong on that but everything I’m finding official regarding the deal says Disney got merch rights on the entire franchise.

e: also Disney is pushing a ton of legacy character merch, they definitely don’t seem to be favoring new characters over old when it comes to merchandising, if anything the opposite appears to be true.

Trixie Hardcore fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 26, 2019

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many prostate massages some consider to be... unnatural.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's gross to think of palpatine possessing rey and being a creeper about it. But we have to, because he definitely did, and would

Yeah I really liked the after credits scene where Rey stands up, dusts herself off, says "gooood... Good" in Pal's voice and cackles.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

I liked the alternate ending where Rey buries the lightsabers and says "oi then guv, thats'a nuff a that jedi rubbish then. Off to space college we go."

Queen-Of-Hearts fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 26, 2019

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Everyone in the galaxy is so stupid that even luke and leia's ghosts are just standing there nodding approvingly while rey/palpatine takes their very name for the purposes of eternal evil. You get the sheev you deserve

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I love Star Wars and y'all are crazy.

pop fly to McGillicutty fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 26, 2019

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
What a trash double post

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SHISHKABOB posted:

He's a Sith? What evidence do you have for this.

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

No Mods No Masters posted:

Everyone in the galaxy is so stupid that even luke and leia's ghosts are just standing there nodding approvingly while rey/palpatine takes their very name for the purposes of eternal evil. You get the sheev you deserve

Luke and Leia deliberately failed to mention that she was the granddaughter of space hitler, they’re probably crossing their ghostly fingers that she just steals their name instead of banishing them to the shadow realm

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6C7j4sLqQ8

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

happyhippy posted:

the rumor is that Disney killed off most of the old crew to stiff Lucas out on the toy sales.

lmao this is so loving dumb, please don't buy into this

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Sydin posted:

Ahaha ha, they killed Luke

I still can’t believe it

Kill the past, unless... you know, it doesn’t test well, then do the opposite next movie

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Is there a womandalorian in that new star wars show or is it all dicks?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Colonel Cancer posted:

The head of Mando's clan is a woman although she really only has a bit part, and then there's an ex-Rebel shock trooper lady who teams up with him in a couple episodes.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Colonel Cancer posted:

The armor smithdalorian has a breastplate with breasts, dunno about the genital situation of any of them tbh

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Ahaha ha, they killed Luke

I still can’t believe it

Kill the past, unless... you know, it doesn’t test well, then do the opposite next movie

You know most movies the central thesis doesn't come from the villains, right?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

You know most movies the central thesis doesn't come from the villains, right?

Kyle is a bad guy ? Hmmm, I dunno, the worst he did was kill his boomer dad

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Do you think Ben Solo thought of Chewbacca as Uncle Chewie?

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I liked this movie because of how disrespectful it is. gently caress the fans,, gently caress the original series, gently caress any payoff you wanted. Truly going out the way it deserves. Just kill it off already.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I liked this movie because of how disrespectful it is. gently caress the fans,, gently caress the original series, gently caress any payoff you wanted. Truly going out the way it deserves. Just kill it off already.

Disney: I will become the most powerful corporation ever! I will even learn to stop franchises from dying!

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Still a big step up from the prequels

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Chomp8645 posted:

Disney: I will become the most powerful corporation ever! I will even learn to stop franchises from dying!

It's all Lucas' fault! He's jealous! He's holding me back!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Still a big step up from the prequels

this bar is so low its literally embedded into the floor

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Kazak posted:

They're incompetently written movies

This is the biggest flaw in them. The cast seems pretty good. Even Rey is great in the first movie, but everything character-wise spirals down from there. I think in order for the story to work, they need to completely change the overall plot. Instead of the "Nouveau Empire" trying to take over the galaxy again with a superweapon, they should have focused on a smaller story, with smaller stakes. You don't need the galaxy to constantly be in peril if you have characters that you care about.

Maybe instead, they could have had the trilogy taken place in an Imperial Remanent section of the outer rim where the New-new Republic still doesn't have the resources to bring under their wing. A warlord with a sizable fleet and vast territory is being a shithead and that's where Rey comes into play. The warlord is expanding his/her territory and takes over Jakku, and society goes from being loosely associated with the new republic to being under the heel of the warlord. Rey gets mixed up in a proxy war, (New Republic sending feelers into the area) and the Warlord, and she hooks up with the alliance. Finn could pretty much have the exact same story that he did in the first half of TFA. Maybe there is an old imperial shipyard and resources that will allow the warlord to become a "bigger threat" and the New Republic has to allocate more resources to stop him, but they're still stretched pretty thin. Also maybe completely forget about any of the OT characters and make new ones that people care about?

Hell, it could even ape the original trilogy if you wanted to get lazy.

First movie, Rey Finn, Poe thwart the warlord's initial plan and blow up the shipyard.
Second movie, the Warlord manages to organize a few other splinter groups and could possibly galvanize more to someday overtake the Republic.
Third Movie, The heroes and the New Republic manage to defeat the (non-superweapon having) Warlords.

Or maybe. . . go in a completely different direction? (possible fan pushback if they don't see Tie Fighters and Stormtroopers)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Blistex posted:

First movie, Rey Finn, Poe thwart the warlord's initial plan and blow up the shipyard.
Second movie, the Warlord manages to organize a few other splinter groups and could possibly galvanize more to someday overtake the Republic.
Third Movie, The heroes and the New Republic manage to defeat the (non-superweapon having) Warlords.

Needs more baby yoda.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It is genuinely depressing how good the main cast of Rey, Finn, Poe, and Kylo were, and how much chemistry all the actors had together on screen, only to be completely loving wasted in a three movie-long proxy war between two writer-directors over whether the OT should be endlessly fetishized or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I guess we should give JJ credit for resisting the urge to start the movie out by explaining Luke didn’t really die only to kill him off 45 minutes into the film.