Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

hello, friend goons! need some quick help here.

after many years, i finally decided to apply for u.s. citizenship (my green card is about to expire, and oddly enough, getting citizenship is not that much pricier than renewing my GC so i figure why not just get the better deal?"). so i go to the official gov website and i'm reading over the criteria for being eligible, and i believe i'm good on everything, except item number 10. am i reading this wrong, or can you only become a citizen if you enlist in the loving military? cause that doesn't seem right to me. i mean, it has been 3 years since trump and his minions have been in office, and i wouldn't doubt they pulled some kind of fuckery with immigrants wanting to become citizens...
Selective Service isn't the military. It's putting your name on the list in the unlikely event we have a draft. Basically all 18-year-old male citizens do it, mostly because it's a prerequisite for any kind of student aid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Blind Pineapple posted:

45 for me. I'm actually happy I didn't know who PewdiePie was and I've never heard of Markpelier or whatever the hell his name was. Some of the ones I got made me realize I'm far too online with politics.

I assume the lower % identifying Donald Trump among the NYT avg. compared to the US avg. is from people answering "some rear end in a top hat" as I did.

I apparently don't know what Beyonce looks like, but I can identify John loving Delaney. Thanks, USPol, I think?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Dick Trauma posted:

Let us all celebrate the virgin birth of Jesus...

"why don't we start with not teaching children how to have butt sex on the day commemorating the birth of Christ?"

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1210305381253210112

Edit: Mary did not give consent prior to being impregnated.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 26, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Degenerate", a word famously favored by people who are not nazis

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Mr Interweb posted:

after many years, i finally decided to apply for u.s. citizenship (my green card is about to expire, and oddly enough, getting citizenship is not that much pricier than renewing my GC so i figure why not just get the better deal?"). so i go to the official gov website and i'm reading over the criteria for being eligible, and i believe i'm good on everything, except item number 10. am i reading this wrong, or can you only become a citizen if you enlist in the loving military? cause that doesn't seem right to me. i mean, it has been 3 years since trump and his minions have been in office, and i wouldn't doubt they pulled some kind of fuckery with immigrants wanting to become citizens...

If you are male and you were in the US as a permanent resident between the ages of 18 and 26, you should have registered for Selective Service. If you are not male, were not a permanent resident during that age, or registered, you are fine. If you should have registered and did not, whoops, but you can still file if you can demonstrate that you did not know about this and did not avoid registering willfully - at this stage you might want to engage an attorney or at least look up a local organization that provides immigration assistance.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

It's more regarding registering for the draft/if you're eligible to register for the draft. I think with a GC you may be registered from a quick google, if you were/are eligible?

Internet Explorer posted:

Selective Service is the draft. There's a bunch of OR statements in there, but they're basically asking what your status is with registering for the draft.

Inferior Third Season posted:

Selective Service isn't the military. It's putting your name on the list in the unlikely event we have a draft. Basically all 18-year-old male citizens do it, mostly because it's a prerequisite for any kind of student aid.

well, poo poo. i'm not sure if i ever did. i mean, i do remember whenever i applied for federal financial aid there was a question on there asking if i was registered, and if i wasn't, they would automatically do it. but i don't know if they ever did. (i'm 35 btw, so this was a while ago)

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

Minenfeld! posted:

lol does it? I've got to try it next time I'm up there. The Stamford ones don't talk.

It’s like it was made specifically to entertain drunk people.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mr Interweb posted:

well, poo poo. i'm not sure if i ever did. i mean, i do remember whenever i applied for federal financial aid there was a question on there asking if i was registered, and if i wasn't, they would automatically do it. but i don't know if they ever did. (i'm 35 btw, so this was a while ago)
I’m 34 and I remember getting a card in the mail at one point saying that I was automatically enrolled

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

You signed up for the Draft at the DMV most likely.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

https://www.sss.gov/Registration/Check-a-Registration/Verification-Form

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

There was an ice cream parlor that gave free ice cream to children on their birthday, but you could use a fake name and birthday to sign up repeatedly. They sold the list to the Selective Service board, with the result that the US tried to send some fake ice cream people to Vietnam.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
That quiz is bullshit. It didn't accept Slick Willy and it told me this was wrong

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Rollersnake posted:

I assume the lower % identifying Donald Trump among the NYT avg. compared to the US avg. is from people answering "some rear end in a top hat" as I did.

I apparently don't know what Beyonce looks like, but I can identify John loving Delaney. Thanks, USPol, I think?

Yeah, I definitely called him Cheeto Benito and it didn't take so..

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

well looks like i was indeed registered, and within a month of my 18th birthday! :monocle:

thanks!

guess this means i will indeed be able to vote trump out next year :c00l:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1210150906769084416

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
If I give my kids all their gifts from Mom and Dad, but Santa still eats their cookies, what will their politics be when they grow up?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Push El Burrito posted:

That quiz is bullshit. It didn't accept Slick Willy and it told me this was wrong

I got 43 out of 52 right, but it counted it as 42 because it counted Deval Patrick as wrong even though I spelled his name right. I also confused LeBron James for Kobe Bryant :doh:

Got all the soccer players but Megan Rapinoe wrong too.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

I never turned in that postcard they send you when you turn 18 and I've always wondered if I ever signed up/what the consequences would be if I never registered, but somehow I was registered about a year after my 18th birthday

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1210207810291671045

All the foreign leaders think your an idiot, even the dictators that you think are your best friends think your an idiot that's an easy mark.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1210183406904074240

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/1210228197180297216

lol petty bitch

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

It's even sadder when you learn that the cuts were done in 2014. They took out about 8 minutes of footage to shorten the runtime for television: https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/cbc-trump-scene-home-alone-2-1.5408809

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

well looks like i was indeed registered, and within a month of my 18th birthday! :monocle:

thanks!

guess this means i will indeed be able to vote trump out next year :c00l:

Citizenship applications typically spike in election years, so processing times get longer as you approach the election. You can check processing times on the USCIS website for the office for your jurisdiction, but remember that timeframe is optimistic and will get longer as this year goes on. If you intend to register and vote, do not delay your paperwork.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I'm sure that many posters in this thread have stories of political discussions with their families at Christmas, but I had a discussion that had such whiplash I thought I'd share it:

My father is a 60 year old factory worker from rural Ohio. He's worked for the same factory for 35 years, while also working night as a meatcutter and janitor. We live in a farming community and there are several houses within shouting distance from where I live that proudly display rebel flags. This place is full of meth and racism, and it's a hole. Anyhow, my father started a story like this:

"The factory I've been working at has been hiring a lot of blacks from a nearby community. They're all terrible, they show up late and can't do math, they can barely read and they can't follow directions"

At this point I was about to, well, explode on him when he continued:

"Talking to them their schooling sounds like it was terrible, we've really failed them and we need to do better to support their communities. It makes me sad and frustrated that they live so close to us but have seen so little of the world and don't have the same resources we have. We really have to do better for them in the future"

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Manifest Dynasty posted:

Citizenship applications typically spike in election years, so processing times get longer as you approach the election. You can check processing times on the USCIS website for the office for your jurisdiction, but remember that timeframe is optimistic and will get longer as this year goes on. If you intend to register and vote, do not delay your paperwork.

oh yeah, definitely. was planning on submitting my applications sometime this week.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Mr Interweb posted:

I renewed my GC because if it expires within the next 6 months you can't naturalize. Oh well guess I'll wait another 9 years and see where we are.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i am harry posted:

I renewed my GC because if it expires within the next 6 months you can't naturalize. Oh well guess I'll wait another 9 years and see where we are.

wait, really? that wasn't one of the questions on the checklist though! D:

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
That isn't true. That must be a misreading of a requirement.

Edit: I believe that if you file more than 6 months before your gc expiration, you can request a temporary LPR extension stamp in your passport while your N-400 is pending for free. If you file withing 6 months, they will make you file the I-90 to renew the card instead.

Manifest Dynasty fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 27, 2019

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

I answered "Winnie the Pooh" to Xi Jinping and it counted me wrong. :smith:

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1210350571452022784
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1210351400313638914

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Didn't Trump do that cameo purely to bilk a SAG membership out of it after Hollywood laughed him out of town in the 80s?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

Didn't Trump do that cameo purely to bilk a SAG membership out of it after Hollywood laughed him out of town in the 80s?
Man, that 2-parter from the Dollop barely scratched the surface wrt Trump and his overall contemptuous nature, didn't it?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

He forced anyone who wanted to shoot in one of his buildings to film a cameo like that and have their stars schmooze him and call him "Mr. Trump" and such. Everyone would play along and then shoot the scene, and simply cut the cameo in editing. But Home Alone 2 left in in for some reason. When Matt Damon described it, it sounded more like an ego thing than a money scheme. Like, Trump just wanted to force celebrities to kiss his rear end, and then brag about how he was in Scent of a Woman and such.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Manifest Dynasty posted:

That isn't true. That must be a misreading of a requirement.

Edit: I believe that if you file more than 6 months before your gc expiration, you can request a temporary LPR extension stamp in your passport while your N-400 is pending for free. If you file withing 6 months, they will make you file the I-90 to renew the card instead.

And then you can naturalize, but gently caress paying $750 right after paying $500 just so that you can vote. And maybe be a loving cop.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

i am harry posted:

And then you can naturalize, but gently caress paying $750 right after paying $500 just so that you can vote. And maybe be a loving cop.

Right but I'm saying it's not an actual legal requirement that you renew the card to naturalize. It's just "recommended."

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Hmm, yes, ensured every one live in pig slop for centuries while Islam scienced it up in the mid east. Thank you baby Jesus for halting progress for a few centuries

Lol, gently caress Trump

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lassitude posted:

He forced anyone who wanted to shoot in one of his buildings to film a cameo like that and have their stars schmooze him and call him "Mr. Trump" and such. Everyone would play along and then shoot the scene, and simply cut the cameo in editing. But Home Alone 2 left in in for some reason. When Matt Damon described it, it sounded more like an ego thing than a money scheme. Like, Trump just wanted to force celebrities to kiss his rear end, and then brag about how he was in Scent of a Woman and such.

Wow, that's even more miserably cynical than I thought.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Manifest Dynasty posted:

Right but I'm saying it's not an actual legal requirement that you renew the card to naturalize. It's just "recommended."

but if you have to pay the green card renewal fee in addition to the naturalization fee, isn't that technically required?

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Didn't that movie come out around the time Trump divorced Ivana? Jr. should be glad the point of time where neither parent wanted him was erased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

CubeTheory posted:

I'm sure that many posters in this thread have stories of political discussions with their families at Christmas, but I had a discussion that had such whiplash I thought I'd share it:

My father is a 60 year old factory worker from rural Ohio. He's worked for the same factory for 35 years, while also working night as a meatcutter and janitor. We live in a farming community and there are several houses within shouting distance from where I live that proudly display rebel flags. This place is full of meth and racism, and it's a hole. Anyhow, my father started a story like this:

"The factory I've been working at has been hiring a lot of blacks from a nearby community. They're all terrible, they show up late and can't do math, they can barely read and they can't follow directions"

At this point I was about to, well, explode on him when he continued:

"Talking to them their schooling sounds like it was terrible, we've really failed them and we need to do better to support their communities. It makes me sad and frustrated that they live so close to us but have seen so little of the world and don't have the same resources we have. We really have to do better for them in the future"