Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

OhFunny posted:

Now that I have beaten Dragon Quest VII. I've begun Dragon Quest VIII and oh no non-refundable skill points. Choice paralysis is hitting me. Any advice goons?

Not sure if it’s the best path but what I did was focus the character specific branch and then one of the weapons. For hero I did sword but spear up to thunder thrust might be good for metal slimes. Yangus axe but fists up to thin air could work as well in the early game. I did bows for Angelo and some staff for the abilities and staff for Jessica but apparently whips are really good as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Hero Courage, Yangus Axes, Jessica Sex Appeal, and Angelo Bows or Swords. These are NOT must do's, but they'll get you through the game no problem.

Ive personally always been a fan of boomerangs, so I'll throw a suggestion there too with the caveat of if you main boomerangs then Eight ends up short on single target big hitters.

BrightWing fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 26, 2019

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Okay, from what I recall unless you go apeshit powerlevelling, you're only going to be able to max two skill trees per character by the end of the game. You can't really go wrong with picking one weapon tree and each character's unique tree (heroism, sex appeal, humanity, etc). Fisticuffs are situational, it can save you some money on equipment early on, and the agility boosts are useful in the post-game, but personally I never bothered.

Further elaboration in the spoilers

Hero Courage + Sword is the 'traditional' option, but it works. Spears are also pretty good, especially for slime-hunting
Yangus Axes, axes, axes. Scythes give you a chance to steal, which is neat I guess, and nobody cares about Clubs. Fisticuffs gives him some good multitarget skills and the spell that repels monsters. Humanity isn't spectacular, but stick at least 10 points in early for Heal.
Jessica Staves give you good spells and MP boosts, and Jessica is your dedicated sorceress, so. Jessica gets some nice whip skills but her best one was nerfed from the PS2 version, so. Knives are great if you want your squishy mage (who can set people on fire) to stab someone (instead of setting them on fire) Sex Appeal gives you Hustle Dance, and everyone loves the Hustle Dance.
Angelo Bows are the clear winner here, his sword skills are lame and he's attacking often enough that Staves aren't the best choice.

Morrie absolutely wants Claws + Passion. Claws do good damage, remove debuffs, and ignore defense. Passion lets him do absurd tension boosts and a few other fun things.

Red wants Knives. The final Knife skill turns her into a blender. A hurricane of steel. She can spout out probably the highest single party damage in the game. It's obscene. Roguery gives her a passive steal chance and I've gotten three Yggdrasil Leafs that way. I'm sure her other skills are fine.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
In Dragon Quest XI what's the recommended level for the (late-game spoilers) Act 3 Boss? I've finished the Three Labyrinth trials and everyone's around 65.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Justin_Brett posted:

In Dragon Quest XI what's the recommended level for the (late-game spoilers) Act 3 Boss? I've finished the Three Labyrinth trials and everyone's around 65.

I heard it scales with your level so it doesn't matter, but I'd honestly recommend grinding a bit more until you learn Magic Burst at least, it can save your bacon in a tight spot.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Dq11 postgame chat Im on harder monsters at level 75 and feel like my poo poo still gets kicked in regularly.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

BrightWing posted:

Dq11 postgame chat Im on harder monsters at level 75 and feel like my poo poo still gets kicked in regularly.

DQ11 Postgame chat: Once I get all characters in Act 3 and they are back to proper levels, I Electrolight grind to 99 immediately since I play with Stronger Monsters.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

YggiDee posted:

Okay, from what I recall unless you go apeshit powerlevelling, you're only going to be able to max two skill trees per character by the end of the game. You can't really go wrong with picking one weapon tree and each character's unique tree (heroism, sex appeal, humanity, etc). Fisticuffs are situational, it can save you some money on equipment early on, and the agility boosts are useful in the post-game, but personally I never bothered.

Further elaboration in the spoilers

Hero Courage + Sword is the 'traditional' option, but it works. Spears are also pretty good, especially for slime-hunting
Yangus Axes, axes, axes. Scythes give you a chance to steal, which is neat I guess, and nobody cares about Clubs. Fisticuffs gives him some good multitarget skills and the spell that repels monsters. Humanity isn't spectacular, but stick at least 10 points in early for Heal.
Jessica Staves give you good spells and MP boosts, and Jessica is your dedicated sorceress, so. Jessica gets some nice whip skills but her best one was nerfed from the PS2 version, so. Knives are great if you want your squishy mage (who can set people on fire) to stab someone (instead of setting them on fire) Sex Appeal gives you Hustle Dance, and everyone loves the Hustle Dance.
Angelo Bows are the clear winner here, his sword skills are lame and he's attacking often enough that Staves aren't the best choice.

Morrie absolutely wants Claws + Passion. Claws do good damage, remove debuffs, and ignore defense. Passion lets him do absurd tension boosts and a few other fun things.

Red wants Knives. The final Knife skill turns her into a blender. A hurricane of steel. She can spout out probably the highest single party damage in the game. It's obscene. Roguery gives her a passive steal chance and I've gotten three Yggdrasil Leafs that way. I'm sure her other skills are fine.

Thanks for such a detailed post Yggi!

Is it better to max one skill tree out and then move to another or shift between them to get a better spread on abilities and passives?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The latter will definitely get you better results but planning it out beforehand is a level of spreadsheeting I can't bother with. You don't have to spend them right away, and you can check what the upcoming skills are, so you can just bank them until you know what you want. I think skill points are distributed differently than they were on the PS2 so Angelo isn't boned for half the game. Each character has 350 skill points at level 99 so there's definitely room to gently caress around, and there's rare skill seeds that give 5 skill point. They can be farmed if you're very high level, and very bored.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

OhFunny posted:

Now that I have beaten Dragon Quest VII. I've begun Dragon Quest VIII and oh no non-refundable skill points. Choice paralysis is hitting me. Any advice goons?

I beat the game with Boomerang Eight, Clubs Yangus, Knives Jessica, and Fisticuffs Angelo. Pick what seems fun.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

OhFunny posted:

Thanks for such a detailed post Yggi!

Is it better to max one skill tree out and then move to another or shift between them to get a better spread on abilities and passives?
You straight up can't max out trees right away in DQ8. There are level gates at certain skill thresholds and you'll be barred from spending any more points in that skill until you've passed a certain level. I don't remember what they are exactly, though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Holy poo poo, even the drat Tockle can lie to you, this is awesome.

Bertilak
Oct 31, 2010

Hello, I apologize if this has been asked and answered previously, but I don't want to read the thread to avoid spoilers. I bought DQ11 when it first came out for the PS4, but I have not gotten around to playing it yet. I have heard that the Switch version is pretty much superior. Is it worth waiting to see if the definitive edition content gets ported over, or is it worth just trading my copy in and just purchasing the Switch version?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bertilak posted:

Hello, I apologize if this has been asked and answered previously, but I don't want to read the thread to avoid spoilers. I bought DQ11 when it first came out for the PS4, but I have not gotten around to playing it yet. I have heard that the Switch version is pretty much superior. Is it worth waiting to see if the definitive edition content gets ported over, or is it worth just trading my copy in and just purchasing the Switch version?

I'm not far in the game yet, but from the features I have seen I'd say it's not worth it unless a) you want portable DQ11, or b) the synthesized [is that still called MIDI?] music in the PS4 version really annoys you, as they added orchestral in the definitive edition

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I saw someone say that Nintendo partially bankrolled the port in return for the content being exclusive, which I can neither confirm nor deny but if it's true you're definitely not going to want to wait, whichever way you decide.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Bertilak posted:

I've played and beat the PC and Switch versions of the game.

Get the Switch version. The minor dip in graphics makes up for it in the quality of life changes and extra content.

Bertilak
Oct 31, 2010

Okay, thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
I got DQ11 on Switch late last month as an early Christmas present to myself, and I may have just snuck in the best decision of 2019 right at the end - what a game (my first DQ game)! I love all the little details and dialog quips - I just got to the part where YOU GET THE FLYING WHALE! and Serena saying "Is that a flying fish?...no, that's a whale!" There are a lot of little moments like that, that get a grin out of me. Just a fun-rear end game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Is there a way to turn off costumes that I'm not noticing? I could've swore I saw a video showing off characters not in costume despite having the stuff equipped recently.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Phayray posted:

I got DQ11 on Switch late last month as an early Christmas present to myself, and I may have just snuck in the best decision of 2019 right at the end - what a game (my first DQ game)! I love all the little details and dialog quips - I just got to the part where YOU GET THE FLYING WHALE! and Serena saying "Is that a flying fish?...no, that's a whale!" There are a lot of little moments like that, that get a grin out of me. Just a fun-rear end game.

Dragon Quest is a great series. If you want another one the phone ports for 4-6 are shockingly good.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

RareAcumen posted:

Is there a way to turn off costumes that I'm not noticing? I could've swore I saw a video showing off characters not in costume despite having the stuff equipped recently.

should just be equipment -> costumes -> (none) or something like that

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Box of Bunnies posted:

should just be equipment -> costumes -> (none) or something like that

It does nothing for some reason. I select it and it does nothing like it's a choice for costumes at that point rather than just not putting anything on like I want it to be.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Putting 44 (or 34 I forget) points into fisticuffs for Yangus will get you Thin Air which is an AoE attack that hits all and basically is the auto crossbow from FF6 and if you get it early will carry you for most of the game. After that max out his Axes and his special stat.

Hero Max Sword or spear and courage

Jessica has the most viable builds but here's the real tech: Whips. Twin Dragon Lash + some tension turns her into your premiere Physical DPS. Whips and Charm

Angelo I usually like with Bows cause they're p. strong and get some pretty got area/group coverage as well. And his main stat.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

RareAcumen posted:

It does nothing for some reason. I select it and it does nothing like it's a choice for costumes at that point rather than just not putting anything on like I want it to be.
Hero and Erik have costumes that are basically the same as their defaults (the hoods they're wearing in the escape from Heliodor sequence), so you can just use those if it's one of those two. Other than that, I don't know if there's a way to set the character's default look as their current costume if you have all of the pieces of a costume set equipped.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I think gear that also counts as a costume overrules anything other than another forced costume setting, so it's the costume from the gear or another costume you choose for them, no "no costume" option allowed.

I didn't play with it much because I was playing in 2D mode 99% of the time on my switch play through so I could be wrong but that's how it seemed to work.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jessica's whip skills were nerfed in the 3DS version, so she's probably better off focusing on staves if that's the one you're playing.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

RareAcumen posted:

Basically if you have all the pieces of an outfit equipped, none = the equipped outfit. Change out a piece of gear, or choose a different costume for a little while (most characters have at least one that is similar enough to default).

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, for some reason they didn't think to add "default look" to the costume list, so sometimes you're just... stuck having to wear costumes until you find something better than whatever set you're wearing. I spent a good 3-hour chunk of the game slowly going crazy listening to one of Hero's armored outfits clanking everywhere before I finally just switched over to Fugitive.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

DQ11 - I'm in the post game, supposed to go find 3 seedlings. Think I found one in shangri-la, there's a quest marker on it and everything but I don't seem to be able to interact with it, what am I missing?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Hero and Erik have costumes that are basically the same as their defaults (the hoods they're wearing in the escape from Heliodor sequence), so you can just use those if it's one of those two. Other than that, I don't know if there's a way to set the character's default look as their current costume if you have all of the pieces of a costume set equipped.

Really? Where's Erik's hood at then?

Morbi posted:

Yeah, for some reason they didn't think to add "default look" to the costume list, so sometimes you're just... stuck having to wear costumes until you find something better than whatever set you're wearing. I spent a good 3-hour chunk of the game slowly going crazy listening to one of Hero's armored outfits clanking everywhere before I finally just switched over to Fugitive.

Yeah I did the same here too. I kinda like the change here with the Dundrasil armor though. It makes them distinct from each other and the fact that the one you make is an off color feels right. But I can't help just wanting the normal one back already. It's still a pretty big advancement for the series though to finally just wear outfits without it negatively affecting the rest of the game. I sure wish this had been in 8 3DS.

Anyway, big fan of your comic!

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I don’t know if going deep into Humanity is worth it on the 3DS. Originally it was crucial because Kerplunk was basically needed, but Red gets a guaranteed zing in her fan tree and combined with Angelo and Jessica via staff you are usually good for rezzes.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
A page late for pun chat, but I just wanted to give a mention to Mother Ocker in DQ9 that I have no idea how they snuck past the censors.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
DQB2 is a lot of fun. That DQ charm works wonders for a minecraft style game.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Been playing through Builders 2 as well, and having fun with it.

Pro tip: The trowel lets you pick up blocks that you couldn't otherwise get with the hammer, such as grass blocks and cracked sand. Handy for if you want to add a bit of greenery to your town but don't have access to worm food.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Avalerion posted:

DQ11 - I'm in the post game, supposed to go find 3 seedlings. Think I found one in shangri-la, there's a quest marker on it and everything but I don't seem to be able to interact with it, what am I missing?
Only think I can think of is, are you sure you actually are supposed to go find those seedlings? Like that's the active quest you are told you have? If you swapped to 2D mode and back it might undo your progress.

alternatively, try another one first - hit up one of the whale way stations, I forget which and see if that one works and then back to that one, but yes, you should be in the right place

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Only think I can think of is, are you sure you actually are supposed to go find those seedlings? Like that's the active quest you are told you have? If you swapped to 2D mode and back it might undo your progress.

alternatively, try another one first - hit up one of the whale way stations, I forget which and see if that one works and then back to that one, but yes, you should be in the right place

Thanks, turns out I was just approaching it from the wrong angle (literally). :negative:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Is there an easier way to get seeds in DQB2 other than going to islands and digging them up? I want giant fields of crops, but it sucks that I'll only get like, 20 seeds per island visit.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Playing through DQ3 on the Switch, and I'm stuck at the cave NE of Baharata. Two guards won't let me past them, and looking at walkthroughs I'm supposed to fight them, even though I'm not given the option (they just tell me to shove off). I fought Kandar and his goons in Shampane Tower, and agreed to let them go. Is there something I'm missing here? Is Kandar located somewhere else in the remake?

edit: figured it out, I missed talking to someone in the southern part of the nearby town.

BisterdDave fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 1, 2020

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

DQB2 is fun but man does this skelkatraz section suck poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Is there any particular reason to do a quest that I don't care for the rewards of in XI? Like, does something happen if I finish all of them or something? I'm mostly missing these dumb pep power quests at this point.