Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
An HP Plus as a reward for floor 40 is a bit of an oof, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

bio347 posted:

An HP Plus as a reward for floor 40 is a bit of an oof, imo.

For a normal run, yes. If you're playing in Luigi's Challenge (where you don't level up), this HP Plus becomes very important - you'll be able to hit 25 max HP with this, and 30 max HP with the fourth HP Plus badge in the game (which we'll be getting after the chapter is over).

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

As someone who recently got a Everdrive for their N64, is it even worth trying to play Master Quest Jr. on a platform I can't savestate?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

gourdcaptain posted:

As someone who recently got a Everdrive for their N64, is it even worth trying to play Master Quest Jr. on a platform I can't savestate?

MQ won't work on Everdrive. It's Wii U, emulator, or nothing. Sorry.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MQJr. is perfectly playable without save states

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Quackles posted:

For a normal run, yes. If you're playing in Luigi's Challenge (where you don't level up), this HP Plus becomes very important - you'll be able to hit 25 max HP with this, and 30 max HP with the fourth HP Plus badge in the game (which we'll be getting after the chapter is over).
Mm, that's true. I forget about that bit. I still think I'd have found a better place to put it, but fair play it's not completely worthless.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Quackles posted:

MQ won't work on Everdrive. It's Wii U, emulator, or nothing. Sorry.

Huh. I started it up on my Everdrive X7 and got into the Prolog a ways before getting distracted. Does it crash later?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

gourdcaptain posted:

Huh. I started it up on my Everdrive X7 and got into the Prolog a ways before getting distracted. Does it crash later?

That's strange. I've heard reports of it crashing when you first meet Bowser, when Goombario first tries to join you, and possibly other crashes later.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
It crashed for me when jr troopa came onto the screen. That was a few months back though.

e: I talked to the toad that skips the first bowser fight though, so it might just be any battle.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

heeheex2 posted:

It crashed for me when jr troopa came onto the screen. That was a few months back though.

e: I talked to the toad that skips the first bowser fight though, so it might just be any battle.

Ah, okay, I didn't get that far, I may have overstated it.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Master Quest Senior

So you know how Thamz, lead dev, said he was burned out and would have nothing to do with Master Quest ever again? Well, today, this appeared in the Star Rod discord...

Apparently, MQ Sr. is planned to have normal enemies from MQ Jr. - but bosses/minibosses...

Thamz posted:

Yes bosses will be pretty much one solution. They wont be fun. And you will all hate them.

So yeah. Just when we thought it was safe to go outside!

PS: I'll explain about the 'partner bug' in the next episode. For now, don't worry about it.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 27, 2019

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm a bit worried by that last sentence. Is it a good idea to mobilize your personal fans to bully the people finishing up your hack for you?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Bruceski posted:

I'm a bit worried by that last sentence. Is it a good idea to mobilize your personal fans to bully the people finishing up your hack for you?

I think he's joking.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

Bruceski posted:

do you not understand jokes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

heeheex2 posted:

do you not understand jokes.

Yeah, I've been on the receiving end of those "jokes". Eyeball deep in lines of code and some guy wanders by "Jack says you've been slacking ha ha ha". Whole bucket of laughs, great for morale.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

what are you talking about. this is a n64 game difficulty hack

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

heeheex2 posted:

what are you talking about. this is a n64 game difficulty hack

Code is code. I think it's bad form to talk about other people trying to run down elusive bugs and then dangle a treat behind them finishing. There's no feeling of team in the message; "I want to give you this, but THEY need to finish first". It's poor leadership.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I guess I'd need to know more about the partner bug if its such a broken thing that would be reasonable to say "I'm not going to make a third broken product until the other 2 are fixed"

But yeah it's a different thing to say that and "go bug the guys who will rightly answer to you at best 'it's done when its done, if I knew what the problem was I'd have fixed it already'"

My job sometimes gets people asking me those types of questions and its legitimately that answer I have to give them, just poke at the usual suspects until something improves.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

its not serious, dont be so dramatic.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

heeheex2 posted:

it might not have been intended seriously but some people will take it that way and ruin it for everyone else

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

heeheex2 posted:

Saying, "wow, what a dick" about someone who was just a dick isnt dramatic.

Phrasing the project status in that way was a major oops moment.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

To be fair, I'm definitely putting too much of myself into my read of those words. Old scars.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

Dabir posted:

it might not have been intended seriously but some people will take it that way and ruin it for everyone else

yea, the idiots above. if you think that's not a joke you have brain damage.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

heeheex2 posted:

:siren: Please stop this discussion immediately. :siren:

Instead, let's focus on the important part of the post: that Thamz is making a Master Quest Sr. that will be harder than Master Quest.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 27, 2019

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Quackles posted:

:siren: Please stop this discussion immediately. :siren:

Instead, let's focus on the important part of the post: that Thamz is making a Master Quest Sr. that will be harder than Master Quest.

Is Thamz okay? Does he need help? Tell him to blink twice for yes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

heeheex2 posted:

How about just letting it go instead of getting proxy mad about it in this, the jokey silly thread about the Mario game with all the dumb puns in it.

Is it really worth the time?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm curious what one solution entails. Mostly wondering how they are going to handle players failing to follow the path, will it be obvious immediately or will the mistake stew for 3-4 turns before it becomes clear that the player hosed up?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Supremezero posted:

Is Thamz okay? Does he need help? Tell him to blink twice for yes.

Yeah, I was surprised too, but he seems to be doing this of his own initiative.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm curious what one solution entails. Mostly wondering how they are going to handle players failing to follow the path, will it be obvious immediately or will the mistake stew for 3-4 turns before it becomes clear that the player hosed up?

I mean... imagine that you're at a point in the game where you have a boss and you want the player to use Smash Charge and Hammer Throw, specifically. You could make it so that the boss is flying, spiky, and retaliates whenever damaged. If you don't use charge burst, you take too much damage and keel over.

That sort of thing.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

How about just letting it go instead of getting proxy mad about it in this, the jokey silly thread about the Mario game with all the dumb puns in it.

Is it really worth the time?

stfu dumbass

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Maybe it's just me, but it feels like MQ Sr. would be extremely boring in spite of its difficulty. One solution to each individual boss fight doesn't really seem interesting, unless you get major joy from puzzling out what that one solution could possibly be each time. It would mean to me that every playthrough would be exactly the same. Why even bother playing when you could just watch someone else do everything in the exact same way you would?

Jr. still sounds interesting to me but I dunno if I'll ever go download it. I feel like I'm enjoying just reading the thread once more, instead of actively playing the hack.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

heeheex2 posted:

stfu dumbass

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:chillpill:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

FPzero posted:

Maybe it's just me, but it feels like MQ Sr. would be extremely boring in spite of its difficulty. One solution to each individual boss fight doesn't really seem interesting, unless you get major joy from puzzling out what that one solution could possibly be each time. It would mean to me that every playthrough would be exactly the same. Why even bother playing when you could just watch someone else do everything in the exact same way you would?

Jr. still sounds interesting to me but I dunno if I'll ever go download it. I feel like I'm enjoying just reading the thread once more, instead of actively playing the hack.

I mean, Sr. is specifically for the masochists who want the one solution boss fight system and having to struggle to find that one solution. Presumably it'll be stuff like the Sewer Blooper and it's extra charge power.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I see nothing wrong in making a super difficulty version of an already difficult hack when you're being that direct about it being made for extremely few people.

I can't say I'll ever understand the people that want it but hey, if they can get it, that's great. I hope it's fun for them.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Just on a theoretical level, I am starting to wonder if it's even possible to make a Hard-type hack for any game with even the most modest strategic elements that *doesn't* inevitably turn into "find the one and only one solution to this puzzle that we had in mind, and if you find anything else we will patch it out" I'm not even being snarky... I genuinely wonder if it's possible to not end up that way (see FFT 1.3) by the nature of the beast. In games that require incredible reflexes it often comes down to patience plus natural ability, but in the case of games about decision making and resource use I'm starting to ask myself if there is even any alternative.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Someone released a Breath of Fire III difficulty mod recently that is surprisingly good. It includes altering equipment, levelups, and Masters as well (new Skills and stat gains, no stat decreases). The creator still takes input and updates it, too. I never encountered any stumbling blocks or found anything unreasonably difficult, except maybe Stallion

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Someone released a Breath of Fire III difficulty mod recently that is surprisingly good. It includes altering equipment, levelups, and Masters as well (new Skills and stat gains, no stat decreases). The creator still takes input and updates it, too. I never encountered any stumbling blocks or found anything unreasonably difficult, except maybe Stallion

I am interested in this. Have a link?

I do not see it on romhacking.net.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 27, 2019

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Lord_Magmar posted:

I mean, Sr. is specifically for the masochists who want the one solution boss fight system and having to struggle to find that one solution. Presumably it'll be stuff like the Sewer Blooper and it's extra charge power.

Oh sure, I never intend to play Sr. for myself. I'm just saying I don't really understand the appeal in playing a hack based around single solutions like that. I guess that's because I'm not a masochist about hard games though.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Tallgeese posted:

I am interested in this.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Ah, I found it, but he can't link it because the modmaker apparently includes a prepatched ISO.

Just search for Breath of Fire 3 rebalance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
There's a twisted little part of me that wants to see them come out with a Sr+++ mod that is literally impossible, just to see how long those mad few people would bang their heads against a wall trying to advance.

I think that games like Paper Mario lend themselves, unwittingly mind you, to the "one solution" type of mod because it's a game with minimal randomness, turn-based action and small numbers.