Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

nine-gear crow posted:

Didn't Trump do that cameo purely to bilk a SAG membership out of it after Hollywood laughed him out of town in the 80s?

He had a much more substantial role the year before in the maga smash hit, Ghosts Can't Do It.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Is it over yet tax?:

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

logger posted:

Didn't that movie come out around the time Trump divorced Ivana? Jr. should be glad the point of time where neither parent wanted him was erased.

Never forget that Donald tried to use Junior as leverage during the custody battle, only for Ivana to be like "fine I don't want him", forcing Donald to buckle like the coward he is.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

CubeTheory posted:

I'm sure that many posters in this thread have stories of political discussions with their families at Christmas, but I had a discussion that had such whiplash I thought I'd share it:

My father is a 60 year old factory worker from rural Ohio. He's worked for the same factory for 35 years, while also working night as a meatcutter and janitor. We live in a farming community and there are several houses within shouting distance from where I live that proudly display rebel flags. This place is full of meth and racism, and it's a hole. Anyhow, my father started a story like this:

"The factory I've been working at has been hiring a lot of blacks from a nearby community. They're all terrible, they show up late and can't do math, they can barely read and they can't follow directions"

At this point I was about to, well, explode on him when he continued:

"Talking to them their schooling sounds like it was terrible, we've really failed them and we need to do better to support their communities. It makes me sad and frustrated that they live so close to us but have seen so little of the world and don't have the same resources we have. We really have to do better for them in the future"

Your old man is the salt of the earth.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CubeTheory posted:

I'm sure that many posters in this thread have stories of political discussions with their families at Christmas, but I had a discussion that had such whiplash I thought I'd share it:

My father is a 60 year old factory worker from rural Ohio. He's worked for the same factory for 35 years, while also working night as a meatcutter and janitor. We live in a farming community and there are several houses within shouting distance from where I live that proudly display rebel flags. This place is full of meth and racism, and it's a hole. Anyhow, my father started a story like this:

"The factory I've been working at has been hiring a lot of blacks from a nearby community. They're all terrible, they show up late and can't do math, they can barely read and they can't follow directions"

At this point I was about to, well, explode on him when he continued:

"Talking to them their schooling sounds like it was terrible, we've really failed them and we need to do better to support their communities. It makes me sad and frustrated that they live so close to us but have seen so little of the world and don't have the same resources we have. We really have to do better for them in the future"

your dad sounds like my dad. conservative leaning but pretty loving woke various ways.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Manifest Dynasty posted:

Right but I'm saying it's not an actual legal requirement that you renew the card to naturalize. It's just "recommended."

Okay why are you saying that when you said what I said, “If you file withing 6 months, they will make you file the I-90 to renew the card instead.”

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer
Trump impeachment: Lisa Murkowski 'disturbed' over co-ordination
bbc.com/26 December 2019
'Ms Murkowski told Alaska's KTUU news channel that she was uncomfortable with Mr McConnell's comments about "total co-ordination".

"When I heard that I was disturbed," she said.'

Trump's Evil Is Rational
stoehr.substack.com/Dec 24
"Stop searching for mental illness."
"We shouldn’t see mental illness where there is plain ordinary sadism. We shouldn’t pathologize Trump’s ignorance, pettiness and greed. If we do, we don’t see what’s in front of us. Evil is rational"

[IMO, flip a coin, either way.]

Federal Toxmap Shutters, Raising the Ire of Pollution Researchers
undark.org/12.16.2019
"The loss of the federal pollution tracker, supporters say, will inhibit public access to data on environmental hazards."

Google fired an engineer who built a tool that notified employees of their labor rights. She's the 5th employee this month to accuse the company of illegal retaliation.
businessinsider.com/Dec 17, 2019

Army officer returns home to San Diego to say goodbye to mother before deportation
sandiegouniontribune.com/Dec. 22, 2019
"His mother, Rocio Rebollar Gomez, is praying for a miracle before her scheduled deportation date of January 2."

Restaurant hit with death threats vows to continue drag events
washingtonblade.com/December 23, 2019
"The manager of the D.C. restaurant Taqueria del Barrio said the LGBT-friendly establishment, which hosts a monthly drag brunch and a weekly drag trivia night, will continue to hold those events despite a barrage of threatening phone calls the restaurant received earlier this month."

How to Turn Anger and Fear Into Political Power
nytimes.com/opinion/Dec. 21, 2019
"First there were seven. Then 50. Then thousands of people, mostly Latino and many undocumented, who held a vigil on the lawn outside of the Arizona State Capitol in the spring of 2010, praying that Gov. Jan Brewer would not sign an anti-immigrant bill, the most punitive in generations, which had sailed through the Republican-controlled Legislature.

A dozen undocumented women, the “vigil ladies,” set up tents and a four-foot-high statue of the Virgin Mary, borrowed from a church. Students walked out of their classrooms and marched for miles to the Capitol. Abuelas put out traditional Mexican food: pozole, tamales, frijoles. At night, around 50 people slept on the lawn. In the morning, they pulled grass out of their hair, clasped hands and prayed.

The two of us were part of these protests, and we had good reason to be angry — and afraid. One night, Ku Klux Klan hoods were placed near where people prayed. Anti-immigrant groups patrolled close by. Such menaces had long found a haven under Sheriff Joe Arpaio, who ordered his deputies to target Latinos in traffic stops, workplace raids and neighborhood sweeps. Some were later deported."

Hong Kong Braces for More Disruption After Christmas Protests
bloomberg.com/December 25, 2019
"Gatherings are scheduled on Friday at the New Town Plaza shopping mall in Shatin and over the weekend in Sheung Shui, an area near the Chinese border. Those will lead up to a major rally on Jan. 1 organized by the Civil Human Rights Front, which has helmed some of the biggest peaceful protests since the demonstrations against China’s tightening grip over Hong Kong began in June. The organizer is still waiting for a police permit."

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013
Why does a Jewish guy like Rudy Giuliani care so much about whether they show the nativity on TV news?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

It was the year of ‘OK boomer,’ and the generations were at each other’s throats

This writer deserves an OK, boomer so loud she stops writing for the WaPo.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

i am harry posted:

Okay why are you saying that when you said what I said, “If you file withing 6 months, they will make you file the I-90 to renew the card instead.”

If your processing times run long and you need proof of your status, they won't give you the free stamp, they'll make you pay for an I-90 (then give you the free stamp once you show that you paid $ and your I-90 was accepted). You won't have your N-400 denied because your green card was expired. If you file your N-400 before you get within 6 months of your green card expiration, they'll give you the free stamp.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
The problem with the "my racist boomer dad is secretly woke" story is that he still expects future generations to fix the problems.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Unoriginal Name posted:

The problem with the "my racist boomer dad is secretly woke" story is that he still expects future generations to fix the problems.

Years of hard factory work have destroyed his body, he can barely walk at this point, but he's learned empathy from his experiences and he votes blue. He has worked there for 35 years and just found out that people under him had been making more money than him basically because the company could get away with it. He's not very well educated and worked 80 hours a week almost his entire life. With where he came from and what he was taught, I think he did pretty well. He's willing to give his money to good causes and share his opinions, and that's really all he can do at this point.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Unoriginal Name posted:

Look at this guy who thinks we can rely on Boomers when even Boomers know better.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Olive Branch posted:

It was the year of ‘OK boomer,’ and the generations were at each other’s throats

When the first comment was a screed about entitled millennials, I knew I was witnessing art.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Unoriginal Name posted:

So....you're not gonna try to help fix poo poo because the story in your head says that all the olds should have fixed it first? We're all in this together.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

SocketWrench posted:

Hmm, yes, ensured every one live in pig slop for centuries while Islam scienced it up in the mid east. Thank you baby Jesus for halting progress for a few centuries

That had less to do with Christianity and more to do with plagues and the fall of the western roman empire (in part due to plagues). The eastern Roman empire, which had less of a problem with said plagues and was more advanced because, again, not having to deal with god drat plagues.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Without hesitation assumed this was a Justin Timberlake reference.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Charlz Guybon posted:

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1209158338942062594

Pretty neat quiz. I got 38 out of 52, missed a bunch of celebrities.

I did terrible because I know most of these guys as "that dick" or "this rear end in a top hat" so, while most of my answers aren't technically correct...

Also:

What lesson should we learn here?

yes. it sure would be nice if those that benefited most from a system paid the most into it. i swear to christ the Right usurping leftwing talking points word for word to wage war downward is loving mind blowing

InsertPotPun fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 27, 2019

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Why would the company pay people under him MORE because they could "get away woth it?" Why not pay them less woth the excuse of "hey the old guy gets THIS much, you new guys get even LESS."

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

InsertPotPun posted:

Warren is catching up to Biden in 3 out of 4 key demographics, with Buttigieg closing in!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

nickmeister posted:

Why would the company pay people under him MORE because they could "get away woth it?" Why not pay them less woth the excuse of "hey the old guy gets THIS much, you new guys get even LESS."

The idea is that salary ranges for those positions have risen over the years, but they've got this old guy who hired in at 1980 salaries and has only been getting token raises ever since, and they're certainly not going to give him the salary bump that they'd need to do if he quit and they had to fill that position from current-day hires.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1210365764622045184?s=20

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Lassitude posted:

He forced anyone who wanted to shoot in one of his buildings to film a cameo like that and have their stars schmooze him and call him "Mr. Trump" and such. Everyone would play along and then shoot the scene, and simply cut the cameo in editing. But Home Alone 2 left in in for some reason. When Matt Damon described it, it sounded more like an ego thing than a money scheme. Like, Trump just wanted to force celebrities to kiss his rear end, and then brag about how he was in Scent of a Woman and such.

That sounds pretty on par. Prior to that he used to party crash celebs and rich people get togethers so he could act like a big shot.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Olive Branch posted:

Seems to be an ongoing issue. "Why are the younger people so enraged?" "gently caress if I know, they're just spoiled and need to learn how to work harder"

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

citybeatnik posted:

That had less to do with Christianity and more to do with plagues and the fall of the western roman empire (in part due to plagues). The eastern Roman empire, which had less of a problem with said plagues and was more advanced because, again, not having to deal with god drat plagues.

As they continued to shrink down more and more.

I'm not saying it caused the problems, but christianity certainly didn't let anything advance from it for a long goddamned time

nickmeister posted:

Given he's old and can barely walk, they likely paid the guys under him more because they did more because Capitalism hasn't destroyed them yet.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SocketWrench posted:

given he's old and can barely walk, they likely paid the guys under him more because they did more because Capitalism hasn't destroyed them yet.

This isn't really how seniority pay works for manual labor*. Goons father was there for 35 years.

*: At least, going by accepted "standards" of the past several decades.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

InsertPotPun posted:

Also:

“It doesn’t look like anything to me.”
- Media looking at Bernie’s polling results

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

this the actual person or just some rando?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

SocketWrench posted:

I'm not saying it caused the problems, but christianity certainly didn't let anything advance from it for a long goddamned time

Grats on repeating a bunch of self congratulatory wank from the enlightenment

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

InsertPotPun posted:

That it’s a loving travesty how many people on these forums use the generational concept as if it’s a meaningful category, rather than a jingoistic term, made up by a couple of dumbshit journalists to sell newspapers to housewives a’ la astrology. A concept with literally no analytical or scientific value, and which only serves to confuse, rather than illuminate, discussions on the causality/effects of socio-economic issues, compared with simply using age, and/or income, and/or class, and/or education, and/or gender, and/or other actually useful and meaningful categories for social analysis.

But no, meaningful analysis would have less engagement numbers, less SEO, less likes, less up/down votes, than simplistic and unnuanced statements made on the flimsiest possible analysis. God drat, when it comes to the comedy hour ‘generational sciemce’, journalists and pundits come in two forms, the moronic imbeciles who doesn’t know better and the indifferent cynics who doesn’t care, and both are part of the disease.

That said; kill the olds, despite being retired, they’re managing to literally hoard all the resources in society, while burning down the planet.

(Ok boomer)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

InsertPotPun posted:

Why do so many people know of Cory Booker?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

SocketWrench posted:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

while i somewhat agree. its less about the church and more the roman empire popped and most of the advances were in the arab world or in china or etc. it took a couple hundred years for goverments and monarchies to forum and solidify and eventualy the Renaissance happened.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

This is some galaxy-brain retconning. I mean, first of all, Christianity becoming popular didn't particularly happen overnight as implied by the graph, nor was it the only thing going on. Also, I think the Renaissance also was pretty Christian? Also nobody educated calls it the Dark Ages anymore (and "Christian Dark Ages" was pretty much made up to pretend there's a point being made here). Also China, India and the Middle East were scientifically advanced civilizations that didn't build any starships in the past thousand years despite being non-Christian but gently caress them I guess. Also what unit is the y-axis measured in?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

This is historically inaccurate and really just stupid. Please don't spread it.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Don't post freshman's first atheist hot takes please.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
It's also super loving racist and ironically uses a squishy, made up and subjective metric for "scientific advancement,"

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I was wondering what the y axis represented. How do you measure scientific advancement? Ah yes, if it weren't for the plague that made half our armies poo poo blood and cry bile, allowing the client nations we oppressed throw off our control and break our hegemony, we would have accrued another 10 giga-eurekas in the ensuing centuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

PerniciousKnid posted:

Also, I think the Renaissance also was pretty Christian?

No the Renaissance was famously atheist and Quite Smart, with only a few small, unknown Christian cultural artifacts remaining today like the Pietá or the Last Supper by little-known artists like Michelangelo and Leonardo. You have to be quite the history nerd to dig up those references.