Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I really wanted Fumino and Yuiga to shack up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Rizu/Sekijou is the only Bokuben pairing I care about.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Ibblebibble posted:

Rizu/Sekijou is the only Bokuben pairing I care about.

it is the best pairing in the show

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Justice for Sekijou.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
It's interesting to note that We Never Learn also doesn't have a First Girl as usual. Both Fumino and Ogata appear on the very first page, then followed up by introductions to their characters one right after the other.

And that's why Uruka is still technically First Girl.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Actually if you take the second derivative after factoring in the square root of tiny senpai, you'll find that Yuiga's attractive guy friend is the "first girl."

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I’m actually kinda surprised that they dropped the Miharu subplot from the anime. Unless they’re saving that for the second season?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Actually if you take the second derivative after factoring in the square root of tiny senpai, you'll find that Yuiga's attractive guy friend is the "first girl."

He already has a girlfriend, one of Uruka's swim team friends.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Ytlaya posted:

Yuiga met Kirisu-sensei from ten years ago via time travel, therefore

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mirage posted:

:hmmyes:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mirage posted:

Precisely.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Well, she did meet his dad (and mom?) before everyone else. That counts for something, I guess?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

chumbler posted:

He already has a girlfriend, one of Uruka's swim team friends.

This doesn't change anything.

Actually I think we're forgetting another character - Kirisu's younger sister. Maybe Kirisu will realize that it's messed up for her to date her student, but will try to set her younger sister up with him. I forget how old her sister is and whether this is weird or not (can't remember if she's high school aged or younger).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Ytlaya posted:

This doesn't change anything.

Actually I think we're forgetting another character - Kirisu's younger sister. Maybe Kirisu will realize that it's messed up for her to date her student, but will try to set her younger sister up with him. I forget how old her sister is and whether this is weird or not (can't remember if she's high school aged or younger).

Her sister is college-aged I believe she's probably Asumi's age maybe a year older

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Hot take, but We Never Learn seems like an incredibly generic harem to me and I'm not sure why people here like it so much.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Clarste posted:

Hot take, but We Never Learn seems like an incredibly generic harem to me and I'm not sure why people here like it so much.
it's cute, relatively inoffensive, and runs in wsj, of course it's gonna be popular

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Clarste posted:

honestly i just treat stuff like this as a cycle, like when monster secret got so hyped here

doesn't have to make much sense and i know better than to step outside of my general reading habits for it

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Clarste posted:

Not liking a shounen harem is a pretty cold take. Downright glacial.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Clarste posted:

It's nothing completely unique in the Harem space. But it's extremely heartwarming and earnest, with fun characters that make it more than the sum of it's parts.

Like all the characters root, care for and celebrate each other as friends. They all built a solid friendship, and it feels like the character relationships are all earned.

But if it's not for you it's not for you.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Clarste posted:

The humor/faces are good and there's generally a much stronger focus on humor than drama.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Clarste posted:

Cool.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

but how can it be a hot take if it's cool

I've tried to get we never learn several times myself and it's never worked. but if people like it then good for them

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
have another generic harem
https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/kaguya-wants-to-be-confessed-to/en/0/172/1/page/1

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Dunno if I'd call that one a harem to be honest since it6clear from the get go that they're gonna hook up at some point and neither show any real interest in other people.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean, I don't mean that as a deep insult to the people who like it, and it's certainly comfy enough, but sometimes people talk about it being well-written or put down other harems in the same breath and that confuses me a little.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Clarste posted:

I mean, I don't mean that as a deep insult to the people who like it, and it's certainly comfy enough, but sometimes people talk about it being well-written or put down other harems in the same breath and that confuses me a little.

THAT would be something I wouldn't get either.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

doomrider7 posted:

Dunno if I'd call that one a harem to be honest since it6clear from the get go that they're gonna hook up at some point and neither show any real interest in other people.

It's a joke chapter

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Clarste posted:

I think by "well-written", people who count themselves as fans of WNL mean that there was a lack of the type & amount of drama inserted into manga/anime romcoms that would either 1) sour them on the series as a whole or 2) in the instance of a good ending, would still make them question why the drama happened in the first place

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Clarste posted:

As you mentioned yourself, the harem concept itself is inherently bad. As a result, a harem manga can only be genuinely good if it has some other appeal outside of the harem stuff. In We Never Learn's case, it's the humor and the characters being entertaining (so you can basically read it like "a comedy manga with harem elements").

I think Quintuplets, to use another current example, is worse because it's more of a straight romance drama, so it's harder to overlook the fundamental issues with the situation. Quintuplets also has the issue most of these series have where it feels like all the girls' lives revolve around the protagonist (and each other). Some of the characters in We Never Learn have this issue, but Fumino and Asumi are pretty good about being savvy about things and it feels like they're able to engage with the protagonist in a more "equal" way than you see in most harem (or honestly shounen romance in general) manga.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Monster Secret was hilarious.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I like We Never Learn because the characters are cute.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
The other thing about WNL is that it is so utterly shameless with its joke setups and camera angles that I can’t help but laugh along with the mangaka. Sometimes it’s not so much a romantic comedy as a romantic farce.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I really like Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Spring, been trying to keep with that one after it inexplicably turned into a more straightforward Shōnen series

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Carlosologist posted:

I really like Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Spring, been trying to keep with that one after it inexplicably turned into a more straightforward Shōnen series

It flipflops between being a regular shounen series and a horny shounen series with regularity, don't worry.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Efb^^^
Ah okay, still weird

Wait what? Is Yuuna now a battle shonen?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Dexo posted:

Efb^^^
Ah okay, still weird

Wait what? Is Yuuna now a battle shonen?

It never goes full battle shonen. It'll have moments of battle but will still be very horny. There was one arc that was more of a battle arc just cause it dealt with Yuuna's backstory, but that's resolved so now it's back to stock horniness

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
That dumb manga's existence was almost justified by a character straight up calling a villain of the week a moron with a stupid plan.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
It's the Negima method. Sneak into serialization with a horny harem manga, then suddenly it's a horny battle manga.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
WNL and Nisekoi are basically indistinguishable to me and everyone sure seemed to hate the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

WNL and Nisekoi are basically indistinguishable to me and everyone sure seemed to hate the latter.
I didn't hate Nisekoi but it wasn't nearly as compelling as WNL.

The girls in Nisekoi were cute but most of them only wanted Raku and his choice was clear from the beginning so it was a lot of wheel spinning. I still read it for the reaction faces and because it ran in the Jump issues and I enjoyed it most times but I don't love it the way I do WNL because the characters are just so much better.