Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

This game literally gives you crabs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

frodnonnag posted:

Pretty much the goon shell exists as a honeypot for jamie to sell goons gil or take over their accounts for gil farming.
This is accurate.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

hosed up that I cant summon trusts in the summoner trial or mini-trial

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The mini trial is super easy though. Pop a yagudo drink, astral flow and then pop shining ruby, pop an ether, run away and resummon carbuncle when it dies, repeat until dead.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I can resummon carbuncle a few times but once he gets lucky and interrupts me once it's over. Those trials were a lovely idea when they were added, and they shouldn't have been overlooked with all the other QoL changes.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

One of them down

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
Mini trials were actually cool as poo poo cause let my my 12 year old noob rear end get Garuda and I felt very proud.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

brand engager posted:

I can resummon carbuncle a few times but once he gets lucky and interrupts me once it's over. Those trials were a lovely idea when they were added, and they shouldn't have been overlooked with all the other QoL changes.

If you get interrupted while resummoning, you need to run away farther. You don't need to see Carbuncle's health bar to know when to resummon, you can watch for his name to vanish to know when he died.

Mmtheblue
Jul 25, 2007

...Out of this period a particularly cunning and strong Ork will emerge as the leader and the other Orks will gather round him...
If you're still having trouble, try getting some pet stats food. I didn't do the Mini Trials, but when I tried the Shooting Fish BCNM, Grape Daifuku helped a lot with accuracy, letting Ramuh regain hate faster, and boosting Astral Flow. Most guides I've read say it needs three rounds, but I was able to do it easily in two.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Just finished getting the last of the main 6

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Did the thing where I finally decided that instead of picking my old character back up I'd just create a new one and it was the right decision because I just hid 75 in 10 days. I also moved to bahamut and there are a lot less racists compared to Asura.

HKR fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 29, 2019

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Rounded the corner and this guy is already reared back to knock my head off

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
There seems to be more interest in speedrunning this game. At least once a month now you can catch a fresh to shadowlord kill take takes less than 8 hrs on twitch. They are looking at how to tackle CoP next.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
I hopped back into the game for a little bit. I messed around trying to complete all the missions/quests I never got around to and gave up when I hit those dreaded japanese midnight wait times that for some reason are still in this loving game :v:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

The mini trial is super easy though. Pop a yagudo drink, astral flow and then pop shining ruby, pop an ether, run away and resummon carbuncle when it dies, repeat until dead.

Can't you do them way over leveled? I don't think I had to do any of this to get my summons.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Holyshoot posted:

Can't you do them way over leveled? I don't think I had to do any of this to get my summons.

I mean you can do the non-mini trials at any level yeah, so if you really can't do the mini-trials you can do those once you're at like level 75 with trusts, or if you can't summon trusts and your job can't solo them idk wait til 99 or something.

Seriously though the mini-trials are super easy, I even took off the destrier beret and chocobo shirt just for shits and giggles and it's still fairly easy. It is worth it to pay attention to the day of the week and do your attempts on days that the avatar is weak on (such as fighting Ifrit on Watersday)

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
So i'm going to the ffxi event at pax east. Anybody got any terrible questions i can try to ask the devs while there?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

frodnonnag posted:

So i'm going to the ffxi event at pax east. Anybody got any terrible questions i can try to ask the devs while there?

60+ fps when?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Put it on Switch.

I guess that's not really a question.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

frodnonnag posted:

Since they made the game nearly single player for most of the content, can they consider a standalone single player version when the online game ends?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

frodnonnag posted:

Do they ignore rmt and botting on purpose because it would kill there game if they didn't?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

frodnonnag posted:

Shart Carbuncle posted:

Put it on Switch.

Put FFXI on Switch you cowards! (Ask them to put it on Switch)

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
Can you ask them to make my inventory better, or at least remote into my desktop and help me get organizer to work with wardrobe 234

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Switch port or maybe reincarnate that mobile version, I used to play XI on my GPD Win but the switch is a lot more comfortable to play games on and I'd love to actually get into this game properly some day

Does this game have official classic/progression servers yet?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
My first reaction to a 'classic' ffxi was to say gently caress yes. But then thinking about it I realize I could never dedicate the sheer amount of time like that again. With that said doing dynamis was always a blast way back when during RotZ and CoP.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Official special (classic/progression) servers seems like a dicey proposition. One of the biggest differences between old FFXI and current FFXI is that you need a bunch of people to get poo poo done, and they'd be further fracturing a small playerbase, right? Honestly, I have no idea how many people play this game now.

Anyway, it would be a bunch of work to implement, and potentially wasted effort. It's the kind of thing people think they want, until they actually get it, and then they drop off like flies. Anecdotally, I know a lot of people who jumped onto WoW Classic, and exactly zero of them are still playing.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The biggest draw to an old FFXI would be the fact that it requires groups of people to do any sort of real progression. Which is also its biggest flaw and I have severe doubts that any sort of real population for said progression could be kept like it had in 2003.

And the fond memories of spending hours upon hours in Valkurm Dunes trying to dodge the massive trains that congregated at the borders and would randomly come wipe you for all that xp loss is absolutely rose-tinted glasses.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I played on a true classic server for quite awhile last year right before finding a full time job (you can see my posts in this thread for more) and it was quite an experience. I got BRD to 30, the farthest I've ever gotten in FFXI since I was 11 when I first played it on PS2 and just never had the wherewithal to get much further than Jeuno / the first airship pass. I wouldn't really call it fun in the regular sense but I found it an enormously enjoyable way to fill the time I had when I wasn't doing anything but smoking pot and firing off applications all day.

that being said, I can't even do classic WoW now, a year later, with a girlfriend and an 8-4 office job, so classic FFXI would be totally impossible. what I'd love is some weird hybrid that is basically the same as classic and the emulator I was on, which had a huge playerbase and felt exactly like launch, but with QOL improvements (maps, quicker travel, free teleports, tele crystals by default, no quests for chocobo/airship, no death on boats) and, i dunno, 10-15x exp rates.

FFXI remains my favorite MMO for so many reasons but all of them conflict with its ability to be played by adults with other commitments and I'm not even sure that particular contradiction can be bridged

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My friend, play retail FFXI. You’re missing out on nothing compared to classic/servers but you don’t have to deal with other players who want to suffer. FFXI updates/upgrades are not like WoW’s at all. You still play the original game in largely the same way.

FFXI classic is a bad and unfun game, and the updates since haven’t made the game easier, they just removed a lot of the stupid time-wasting bullshit.

There is still a lot of time wasting bullshit, of course, but not nearly as much.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

jokes posted:

My friend, play retail FFXI. You’re missing out on nothing compared to classic/servers but you don’t have to deal with other players who want to suffer. FFXI updates/upgrades are not like WoW’s at all. You still play the original game in largely the same way.

FFXI classic is a bad and unfun game, and the updates since haven’t made the game easier, they just removed a lot of the stupid time-wasting bullshit.

There is still a lot of time wasting bullshit, of course, but not nearly as much.

Yeah this is pretty much it. With trusts and item level gear, you can solo your way through everything aside from some later content like Adoulin and RoV. I don't know anyone that has nostalgia for the endless level grinding and death penalties.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

I'm a real big FFXIV fan and, with having some free time over the next half a year or so I was interested in giving this game a shot just to get a feel for - what it was like? Curiosity if nothing else. A mmo that has a "finished" story that I can take a party of NPCs along with was neat enough for my GW playtime at least!

But to get to the question, since I don't have a group to play the game with, is the linkshell (I'm guessing those are the ingame guilds?) in the OP still active?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

nyttyn posted:

But to get to the question, since I don't have a group to play the game with, is the linkshell (I'm guessing those are the ingame guilds?) in the OP still active?

Well,

Holyshoot posted:

You're better off joining a pubbie shell. No one who's an actual player is really on the ls.

frodnonnag posted:

Pretty much the goon shell exists as a honeypot for jamie to sell goons gil or take over their accounts for gil farming.

Anyway you don't really need anyone else thanks to Trusts

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

If there's one reason I'd want a legacy server it'd be to do all the CoP fights in their levelcapped state but agreed that all the bullshit required to get there may be a bit much.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Eight-Six posted:

If there's one reason I'd want a legacy server it'd be to do all the CoP fights in their levelcapped state but agreed that all the bullshit required to get there may be a bit much.

I did them. you don’t want to do them.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

World War Mammories posted:

Imagine people doing 'endgame' in toau and doing events like dynamis but still stuck on the loving level 30 promyvions. Like there was enough of a roadblock there that people just didn't do the entirety of that expansion.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

frodnonnag posted:

Imagine people doing 'endgame' in toau and doing events like dynamis but still stuck on the loving level 30 promyvions. Like there was enough of a roadblock there that people just didn't do the entirety of that expansion.

Which is a shame, because I think CoP is a really solid expansion.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

World War Mammories posted:

I did them. I'd want to do them again. The level 30 promyvions were incredibly fun and not really that hard.

The airship fight was far worse at the time. Especially before they removed xp loss from death inside of it.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 8, 2020

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

frodnonnag posted:

I think it might have gone slightly smoother if level down sync on gear actually existed back then. Having to hold onto or go get rse and level 30 and 40 gear was loving awful.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rynoto posted:

The biggest draw to an old FFXI would be the fact that it requires groups of people to do any sort of real progression. Which is also its biggest flaw and I have severe doubts that any sort of real population for said progression could be kept like it had in 2003.

And the fond memories of spending hours upon hours in Valkurm Dunes trying to dodge the massive trains that congregated at the borders and would randomly come wipe you for all that xp loss is absolutely rose-tinted glasses.

Yeah, for every hour I spent in the Dunes having fun chatting with people, there were like 4 hours of sitting around awkwardly trying to form groups and having them fall apart. And a lot of that fun revolved around being a teen in the early 2000s when "chatting with people on the internet" was actually novel and interesting. The actual gameplay relied almost entirely upon resting frequently enough and not loving up and pulling multiple mobs, rather than what you actually did during a fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Ah, noted thanks. Game's ...interesting so far? Having a good time but it's very clearly olld. Cid's teeth are horrifying.

And if anyone else is starting this game to try it and sees this, don't pick bastok. There's a part early on, the 1-3 mission, where it asks you to get items with a really low drop rate that cost a lot on the AH and are being camped by bots. Just went through it, super frustrating.