Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Gonna step on some toes and and suggest moving along before engaging in a Fyad derail. Tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Also might be going through menopause. Because of the lack of periods, you see.

How awkward.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Platystemon posted:

Something I think people overlook re the Furred Reich is that plenty of communities don’t have Nazi factions.

It is good that furries by and large kicked out the Nazis, but I have to ask: why were they ever welcome?

Nerds are bad at telling people to get out. I forget the exact phrasing for it, but it basically amounts to "We were ostracized and shunned by society, so we'll welcome everybody"
Except whoops it turns out the internet is full of terrible people and now you have Nazis.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Platystemon posted:

Something I think people overlook re the Furred Reich is that plenty of communities don’t have Nazi factions.

It is good that furries by and large kicked out the Nazis, but I have to ask: why were they ever welcome?

Yeah most communities don't have Nazi factions

*notices how, yes, literally every community online and offline has literal goddamn nazis, has had literal goddamn nazis, and now most are just admitting they are, yes, actual nazis because it is apparently cool and good to be a nazi as espoused by the actual loving government*

Ah, nonetheless

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Burt Sexual posted:

Gonna step on some toes and and suggest moving along before engaging in a Fyad derail. Tia

This is a good idea.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pastry of the Year posted:

This is a good idea.

*Satan storms over to the thermostat and spins the dial all the way up again. Looks around angrily at all the ice and snow that has accumulated in his realm

"Guess Burt Sexual had a good idea..."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I will gladly let Screaming Idiot get the last word in if that means it’s the end of furry chat.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

ExplodingSims posted:

Nerds are bad at telling people to get out. I forget the exact phrasing for it, but it basically amounts to "We were ostracized and shunned by society, so we'll welcome everybody"

This, but with raging personality disorders and sexual abuse, is why furries (and other tightly-knit internet subcultures) have a bad rap. The unwillingness and/or inability to clean house once you realize, for example, "yes, this person is copacetic to me in some superficial ways, but is screamingly insane and harmful in others."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Nerd social fallacies.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

*Satan storms over to the thermostat and spins the dial all the way up again. Looks around angrily at all the ice and snow that has accumulated in his realm

"Guess Burt Sexual had a good idea..."

Look, this shrimp cocktail can't be served warm, all right? Back of the house is a team.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

anyone can be terrible, don't think for a second any one group is the exception to this

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Look, this shrimp cocktail can't be served warm, all right? Back of the house is a team.

carbs in my cocktail? it's likelier than you think

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Crocoswine posted:

anyone can be terrible, don't think for a second any one group is the exception to this

Everyone except for my in group which is infallible.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yeah most communities don't have Nazi factions

*notices how, yes, literally every community online and offline has literal goddamn nazis, has had literal goddamn nazis, and now most are just admitting they are, yes, actual nazis because it is apparently cool and good to be a nazi as espoused by the actual loving government*

Ah, nonetheless

Nazi furries were welcomed for years.

Are there Nazis Frisbee golfers? Surely.

Are there Nazi Nerfsmiths? Without a doubt.

Nazis do not and did not have open, accepted clicques in these communities.

I will not award points for letting the Nazis fester openly till there is a herd of them to be run off.

If I did award points for such things, Reddit would be the all‐time high score champion.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Reddit still has pro-nazi subreddits, like their trump subreddit.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

This, but with raging personality disorders and sexual abuse, is why furries (and other tightly-knit internet subcultures) have a bad rap. The unwillingness and/or inability to clean house once you realize, for example, "yes, this person is copacetic to me in some superficial ways, but is screamingly insane and harmful in others."

I mean this is one aspect of it, but the other aspect is "there's no Furry (or Homestuck, or Anime, or Steven Universe, or My Little Pony, or) Oversight Comission that will revoke your Official Fandom Membership Card if you're a shithead", anyone can show up in a random online space, claim to be whatever and proceed to make every member of said "whatever" look like poo poo by association

but yeah, missing stair syndrome is an issue in every social space, as is "well they're a shithead but their specific flavor of shitheadery doesn't affect me directly so I don't see a problem with them having their opinions" (aka centerism.txt)

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Platystemon posted:

Nazi furries were welcomed for years.

Are there Nazis Frisbee golfers? Surely.

Are there Nazi Nerfsmiths? Without a doubt.

Nazis do not and did not have open, accepted clicques in these communities.

I will not award points for letting the Nazis fester openly till there is a herd of them to be run off.

If I did award points for such things, Reddit would be the all‐time high score champion.

A cursory google search of any of these things will prove you absofuckinglutely wrong, my non-gender-specific dude. I'm not downgrading the fact there are nazi furries, I'm saying that we only noticed them because we were too busy making GBS threads on the furry community to pay attention to the nazis elsewhere. Nobody paid enough attention the loving nazis, and that's why they're goddamned everywhere, out and proud.

This actual goddamn website about ten years back posted:

"loving furf*gs, lol," a goon says while designing a literal yellow star holocaust badge with the word "furry" written inside, you know, to identify posters who should be harassed, like Jews in nazi Germany, for the lulz

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Geek Social Fallacies are all the more terrifying since they don't just apply to who you'd think of as geeks, sometime similar seems to apply to a lot of LGBT, progressive and even feminist spaces who end up becoming institutionally incapable of identifying bad faith actors and predators when they're the ones who've been allowed to set the tone and rules of the community.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Geek Social Fallacies are all the more terrifying since they don't just apply to who you'd think of as geeks, sometime similar seems to apply to a lot of LGBT, progressive and even feminist spaces who end up becoming institutionally incapable of identifying bad faith actors and predators when they're the ones who've been allowed to set the tone and rules of the community.

That's why TERFS got such a huge running start on being awful and vocal.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Hey remember when we quote a post it said something like

Screaming Idiot came out of the closet to say posted:

Homophobia is hilarious!!!!!!

And how a lot of posters never really grew out of that? And how that sort of poo poo is what grew 4chan, which metastasized into a gazillion different pedonazi imageboards?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Ghost Leviathan posted:

As it turns out, people are really fuckin bad at self policing.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Fursecution is real.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oh yeah, they have definitely affected the LGBT communities hard. The likes of NAMBLA and the sort have been run out of most legit groups, thankfully, but the "Gotta accept everyone and everything!" social fallacy is hitting large parts of it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Screaming Idiot posted:

That's why TERFS got such a huge running start on being awful and vocal.

I thought TERFs primarily stem from how the UK’s feminism movement panned out over the course of the 80s-00s vs how it went in the US, aka “why TERFism seems to be way more embedded in the mainstream in the UK”

I could be wrong ofc but I recall someone making an offhand post about it in the UKMT a couple months back

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I thought TERFs primarily stem from how the UK’s feminism movement panned out over the course of the 80s-00s vs how it went in the US, aka “why TERFism seems to be way more embedded in the mainstream in the UK”

I could be wrong ofc but I recall someone making an offhand post about it in the UKMT a couple months back

You're absolutely correct, but I was mostly referring to LGTBQ+ places being tolerant of opposing viewpoints, allowing certain opinions to fester and bad faith actors to take root, though that happens less and less as time goes on*. A lot of feminist circles sheltered TERFs because their rhetoric of "men invading female spaces" plays on both real fears of men trampling on women's rights and the irrational prejudice against transpeople.

*though it'll never be truly eliminated -- just because a person is a feminist or LGBTQ+ doesn't mean they're not also an abuser!

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

So you're saying you know Max Landis personally and didn't know he was a massive creep but you're somehow absolutely sure Neil C is a bad person.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
fyad's back

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

IIRC at least a few groups have been found to have funding and connections to right-wing Christian groups in the US, but someone who knows the issue better than me can get more specific.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
why

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Hey remember when we quote a post it said something like

And how a lot of posters never really grew out of that? And how that sort of poo poo is what grew 4chan, which metastasized into a gazillion different pedonazi imageboards?

And 4chan is pretty much the only place left on the internet besides SA that cares about furries at all.

FactsAreUseless posted:

IIRC at least a few groups have been found to have funding and connections to right-wing Christian groups in the US, but someone who knows the issue better than me can get more specific.

Right-wing Christian groups have been co-opting progressive rhetoric to push their agenda for a while now.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Greetings

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

This has been a problem since the 1950s in "geek" subcultures. The early print media Sci-Fi scene was openly defending pedophile authors and writing opinion pieces in fanzines about how Marion Zimmer Bradley's pedophile husband was a good author so banning him from cons and gatherings was detrimental to the community.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_H._Breen

quote:

Breen was initially convicted of child molestation or lewd behavior in Atlantic City in 1954, resulting in a probationary sentence.[6][10] During science fiction fandom's "Breendoggle" of 1963–1964, Breen was banned from attending Pacificon II and briefly blackballed from the subculture's main amateur press association after allegations of further sex crimes surfaced.[10] Nevertheless, prominent fans of the era such as John Boardman, perhaps unaware of Breen's prior conviction, dismissed the allegations as hearsay and "character assassination," and the scandal blew over.[11] Shortly thereafter, Breen married Bradley, who was cognizant of his behavior[10] but chose not to report him. A further molestation conviction may have occurred in 1964

pentyne has a new favorite as of 07:11 on Dec 27, 2019

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

the forums needs the hilarity and mirth brought unto the world by such concepts as

*talking about lunch
*a trans woman earnestly discussing why the only theory that makes sense for trans women is one made by a right wing guy who thinks anime can make you trans
*getting mad at being defeated by people with undertale and my little pony avatars

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SunAndSpring posted:

the forums needs the hilarity and mirth brought unto the world by such concepts as

*talking about lunch
*a trans woman earnestly discussing why the only theory that makes sense for trans women is one made by a right wing guy who thinks anime can make you trans
*getting mad at being defeated by people with undertale and my little pony avatars

mad?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:aaaaa:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

FYAD is the medium rare pink center of the SomethingAwful forums.

SA is a steak.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
oh poo poo ralps back what the gently caress

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

A lot of people were pretty mad, yes

You just poo poo-stirring? Seems like a bad start.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Another thing about geek subcultures that a lot of people miss imo is that they have simultaneously been nazi fester pits and safe spaces for a while now- certainly for my lifetime.

My personal idiot crack is tabletop wargaming, and that community, and this forum, and furries, and anime, and a bunch of other locker-worthy geekdoms have been full of marginalized people for a long time, for a lot of reasons. Acceptance is part of it, and I think another part of it is lack of social pressure- gently caress it people already hate me, so I don’t lose any face painting little toy elves. Like in my high school being out as queer was something you did in Anime Club and Warhammer Club and so on, not the locker room or theatre or whatever the stereotype is. Even with stuff like race, the nerd groups were the one place where the subset of kids actually reflected my school’s demographics instead of being overwhelmingly one group.

Those same reasons that marginalized people congregate in places like wargaming clubs and dead comedy forums ALSO encourage nazi failsons to congregate in those same spaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Don't fight about fyad in here please.