Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i dont own any amd products op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
amd. its okay folks

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

theadder posted:

i dont own any amd products op

if you own a Mac with a discrete gpu you do

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

echinopsis posted:

the massive irony of that ancient cartoon
but the original cartoon had both axis’s as cores, which is what made the joke work.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

akadajet posted:

have you ever run into a situation where ecc ram would have saved whatever you were working on?

anecdotally, on my non-ECC systems I will get like one hard hang/kernel panic every month or so. Systems with ECC average like once a year if that. If an ECC system hard-hangs twice within a few days something’s truly hosed (either SSD or CPU) and it gets pulled from service.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also the actual hardware involved in ecc is not that expensive or complicated, it has just historically been extremely overpriced as a pro/enterprise distinguisher. it is not that it is impossible to compute without ecc, but it is a really good feature with few downsides.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i fuckin’ love rippin’ threads, error correctin’, and makin’ cores!!!!!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

while you were improving ipc, i studied the cores

while you were busy charging extra for ecc, i practiced the cores

while you spent years on a die shrink, i used the cores

and now that the world demands cores you have the audacity to come to me for help?

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
in the midnight hour, he cried cores cores cores

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
i want cores so i can run every os simultaneously. literally the worst computer. hell, i even want 4-way smt just because.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Bored Online posted:

in the midnight hour, he cried cores cores cores

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Laslow posted:

i even want 4-way smt

no you don’t

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

certain POWER configurations have 8 way smt lol

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

let's do that thing again where apple got desperate with how poo poo the g5 was and just makes every unit dual processor.

except the inexplicable single processor one for poors

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

i fuckin’ love rippin’ threads, error correctin’, and makin’ cores!!!!!

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

carry on then posted:

certain POWER configurations have 8 way smt lol

the im not touching you response to core based licensing

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
thanks to this thread i ordered my first amd processor and motherboard since the drat nforce2 was having its heyday

livin' in a post-speculative-execution-vulnerability world (maybe)

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

buying a 1920x because amd is ok

pram
Jun 10, 2001

psiox posted:

thanks to this thread i ordered my first amd processor and motherboard since the drat nforce2 was having its heyday

livin' in a post-speculative-execution-vulnerability world (maybe)

nforce2 was epic. athlon xp 1800+ with radeon 9700 pro whatup

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
intel can’t fab, their microarchitecture is poo, and their roadmap leads directly off a cliff.

the question is: how is amd going to screw up this lead?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
no threadripandtear tie in with doom eternal. what are they thinking

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

intel can’t fab, their microarchitecture is poo, and their roadmap leads directly off a cliff.

by not tripling down on more cores

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

echinopsis posted:

so many threads left unripped

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
when this baby hits 88 cores, you’re gonna see some serious thread rips

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pram posted:

otoh the nforce chipset drivers were so, so bad

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

pram posted:

2400+ with a 9800 pro :c00l:

and only 512MB RAM and I overspent on the fancy overclocking board full of features I never used (lol firewire NO I DEFINITELY NEED THIS lol) and it was noisy as hell but I had a sick case with a window and blue cold cathodes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i built so many of those in high school. chintzy steel and plastic cases with godawful silver accents

we got an all acrylic case and a watercooling kit one time, which was fun to build except for the massive esd issues

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

echinopsis posted:

this but unironically

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

imagine not ripping threads lmao!!!!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

ripping the threads in the seat of my jeans with my powerful farts

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

The Management posted:

theyre gonna merge with qualcomm

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
could it happen in theory that intel admits defeat and just hires tsmc or samsung for manufacturing

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

poty posted:

could it happen in theory that intel admits defeat and just hires tsmc or samsung for manufacturing

no

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

poty posted:

this has already happened. intel is using samsung for extra support. right now it’s for the lower end 14nm parts, but this feels like a test run to me to see if they are a valid option.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

infernal machines posted:

otoh the nforce chipset drivers were so, so bad

incredibly true, especially under linux

pretty sure i got some third-party non-poo poo ethernet controller (i.e. eepro100)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

tbf, that was true of approximately all linux drivers in the early 2000s.

anything that wasn't bog standerd intel 440bx era stuff probably either didn't work at all, barely worked with terrible performance with some reverse engineered OSS driver, or required a binary blob and a wrapper

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

half the jokes about sound on linux come from that era. poo poo like not having drivers for the insanely common ac97 chipsets and only supporting soundblaster compatible/ess chipsets from the late 90s

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

infernal machines posted:

half the jokes about sound on linux come from that era. poo poo like not having drivers for the insanely common ac97 chipsets and only supporting soundblaster compatible/ess chipsets from the late 90s

the other half are from 2019 where if I type “make” on my 28-core workstation the audio skips.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
really hoping this new motherboard i have coming in actually has working components out of the box in lunix, will report back but not holding my breath for whatever probably-garbage wifi controller is integrated

also not holding out hope to have software control over all the ~fancy~ RGB LEDs everywhere, but also i don't really care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

psiox posted:

really hoping this new motherboard i have coming in actually has working components out of the box in lunix, will report back but not holding my breath for whatever probably-garbage wifi controller is integrated

also not holding out hope to have software control over all the ~fancy~ RGB LEDs everywhere, but also i don't really care

https://github.com/gfduszynski/cm-rgb

i think it's available via pip too