Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

ok so even tho i am loathe to do it, i really probably should throw out all this equipment and worry about maxxing it later once I manage to snarf the mega set right?

I think we mentioned this but feel free to trash stuff that doesn't have notable special stats. If its just raw E/M power/cap/bars, you might get rid of it. Stuff like Seed, Gold, NGU Speed and so on are more valuable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Bedurndurn posted:

I went back to playing WAMI while I'm waiting on stuff to be ready for evil in NGU. I understand it way more this second time around, partly because of the guy's post advocating for it here and being a lot more familiar with the genre as a whole.

There's a christmas event running in it now, which gives out some free early game stats if anybody else wants to check it out.

I think there's always some sort of event, the Halloween one went right up to about a week ago when it switched to this Christmas one. I imagine this one will keep running until we hit Valentines day at that pace :v:

I've been playing WAMI for about three weeks now, and while there are a few things that are definitely not quite as well fleshed out as it is in NGU, it has a number of mechanics I think it implemented extremely well. For example, the adventure game mode completely removes all inventory management. You can freely switch between things in the item list, and duplicate drops are automatically merged and buffed without any input from the player. Because it's completely automated from the get-go, items go up to a significantly higher maximum level (up to 1000) and are split between different rarities of drops. You'll always max out the common drops fairly quickly for any given zone, and the rarest drops won't be maxed before you can move on to the next zone.

What this means is that you can usually go back to old zones and try and farm up old rare drops if for some reason you can't currently farm the latest zone. It feel nice to be able to get progress somewhere even if you can't kill things in the highest accessible zone for some reason or another (challenges, switching gear to prioritize bonuses to some other feature). Since all the gear you've gotten is always easily equipped, using specialized loadouts for specific tasks is very powerful and fluid. On top of that, all gear applies 10% of their stats at all times even when they're not equipped, so even if old gear is objectively inferior to every other choice in that slot you get some small benefit from farming old stuff.

The downside is, individual drops past the first time you get a new item aren't as meaningful as combining things in NGU (there aren't any bonuses for maxing a set as far as I can tell), but most of the systems in the game seem to operate on a slightly lower scale numbers-going-up-ness compared to NGU. As an example, my current reincarnation bonus (similar to NGU's number) is only up to +200% as of this moment, but this benefit still feels powerful because it also applies to the equivalent of Energy Power/Bars and several other mechanics while NGU's number feels like it only effects a few core things.

Given WAMI has probably been in development for way less time than NGU I think it's done a pretty good job taking a shot at attempting a similar game style, it clearly cribs a lot from NGU but does enough differently to make it not feel like a complete rip-off.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I started playing Anti-Idle again (holy poo poo it's been 10 years since that game was released) and it holds up remarkably well. It's got just the right balance of Skinner boxes and actual gameplay.Too bad Tukkun stopped updating it and it'll die in the Flashpocalypse next year.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

NGU idea.

in the ap store

a button

that lets you save your current presets. (in all tabs. or, for super bucks, a button for each tab.)

so you push it after a rebirth and dont have to fiddle.

This way ill stop doing 3-4 days runs and do 24 hour runs.

How lazy is that?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
NGU idea: so the numbers go up on your items, but eventually they stop going up. what if they kept going up?

do an Item World like Disgaea, maybe have a way to unlock ~secret hidden stats~ on items so I can discover that my level 100 whatever's secret stat is Cooking and I can be upset

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Youth Decay posted:

I started playing Anti-Idle again (holy poo poo it's been 10 years since that game was released) and it holds up remarkably well. It's got just the right balance of Skinner boxes and actual gameplay.Too bad Tukkun stopped updating it and it'll die in the Flashpocalypse next year.

It kinda peters out past the second ascension/second rebirth, tbh. But yeah, I enjoyed derping around with the FCG again last month.

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007
NGU idea: a light on advance training that tells me when I'm an idiot and forgot to actually put energy in there

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Anfauglir posted:

NGU idea: a light that tells me I'm an idiot

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
You're all idiots there i said it

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

something posted:

harsh, but fair.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

something posted:

Nice! A free insult.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

terrenblade posted:

Nice! A free insult.

HEH, see if I buy the newbie pack after this value get!

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Dammit i've been bamboozled.

Anyways i'm bored in a home depot parking lot while visiting family so here is my closer-to-final plans for the cards feature

SPOILERS LOOK AWAY NOW

Defeating exile will drop an item which will shockingly, unlock the cards feature. After this, every kill from an exile+ titan will yield a random card drop, random in this case means several things:

1) the name of the card wil be randomized in a madlibs style of, say, "VERBing NOUN of ADJECTIVE" OR "ADJECTIVE NOUN" for every NOUN, the card art will be representative of that NOUN. This will involve plenty of goofy art (by musluk!). The objectibeve of the card's name and art is purely to create jokes and hilarious combinations, hopefully.
2) On the side of the card will be up to *six* different mana costs, much like mtg. For example a card may require 3 blue and 2 black manas. This will be shown using up to 6 little mana icons along the right side on the art. This cost will be randomized within a very ti y range, relative to the stat-up effects of the card

3) The card will have a randomly selected stat it buffs (e.g Energy NGU Speed, Adv Stats, Hack Speed) and amount. This will have a slight variance of about +=10% so if you want to minmax the best rolled cards you can, but isnt required really.

In the cards feature itself you'll view your "deck" (inventory) of cards, and choose ones to trash or to play/consume. This uses the given card's mana costs and grants the stats listed.

Also in the menu, you'll choose 1 of which 6 mana types to generate, which will use a formula similar to hacks, when the bar fills you get 1 mana of that type. The speed formula will utilize depend the 6 mana types, on energy/magic/resource3 power/bars.

Generally, you're gonna generate much more cards than you will mana to use them, so you can afford to be picky and use the exact/best card you want with your more-limited mana.

Six new fruits will also be added to YGGDRASIL at very high seed/activation costs, and this will function as a permanent, passive mana generation resource for when you're even further in progression.

As for the bonuses, you'll be able to upgrade the TIER of card dropped for each bonus type.through perks/quirks/wishes etc. Each +1 tier for a card type will impact the stat by a small exponential, dending on the bonus type, but in general +1 tier will be very noticable. I'll also probably add QOL functions to auto trash cards with tier <x

I'll also add some sellout shop purchasables, such as a consumable to temporarily increase the tier of all card drops for a day by +1 or 2, and extra deck size to store more cards. Probably a rainbow heart to improve mana gen globally by 10%.

As for the I.O.U for Krissmuss, this will be +X MANA OF EVERY TYPE. Where X will be decided later to equal a few day's worth all at once.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

something posted:

awesome new stuff

:woop:

Manyorcas posted:

Adventure Items stuff

You left out the pretty great stat-sorting system that I feel even NGU could benefit from; beyond loadouts you also have a drop-down menu that sorts all the gear based on a number of selectable parameters, the most notable ones being every possible secondary stat on gear. Since the inventory already has items in columns based on which slot they go to this lets you very quickly pick out what the best in-slot options are across your entire collection for specific secondary stat needs. It'd be a pretty great help for cutting down time spent min-maxing accessories in NGU if there was something similar there, especially after your hoard of accessories starts slipping out across multiple pages. I'd easily & happily pay a couple of hundred K AP for it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Having both "magic" and "mana" in the game seems like it has potential for confusion - though I guess by the time someone gets that far they'll have a good sense of what magic is used for.

Have you considered using the same random number for both the name and the mana cost/benefits? It could be neat if, say, the Busting Nut of Goblinkind was the exact same thing for everyone who got it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jabor posted:

Having both "magic" and "mana" in the game seems like it has potential for confusion - though I guess by the time someone gets that far they'll have a good sense of what magic is used for.

Not any worse than power/attack toughness/defense imo

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Jabor posted:

Have you considered using the same random number for both the name and the mana cost/benefits? It could be neat if, say, the Busting Nut of Goblinkind was the exact same thing for everyone who got it.

I did but i think i prefer the greater freedom of variation so the cards feel less stale. There's an option to add maybe a superlative word for cards that rolled well, or they rolled as high mana cost but high effect version. Most cards will lie between a converted mana cost ( to use an MTG term) of 1-9, where a 9 cost card generally would yield 9x tje benefit as a 1 mana cost card.

As for mana/magic confusion, you see the costs expressed on the cards via graphical icons primarily, i'll avoid using the word "mana" as much as I can.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Those cards, are the benefits for the rebirth or are they permanent?

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Permanent.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I like the item world idea that person had. make it so

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I feel like if you've gotten to exile you probably won't get too confused by mana/magic

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

You might not want to use mana at all with cards, I think Magic has that trade marked and aggressively defends it.

Call in monna or something else that is said almost the same.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Sure i'll call it mayo

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

something posted:

Sure i'll call it mayo

The giant jar of Mayo has new meaning

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
You need 3 green mayo and 7 black mayo to cast "Granny's Magnificent Nut Blast"

edit: You need 2 red mayo and 4 blue mayo to cast "Glorious Ray of Shart"

Edit 2: You need 9 white mayo to cast "Crusty Hand of God"

something fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 27, 2019

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

something posted:

Permanent.

So basically every time you have the mana for a card you should/could use a card and over time you’ll get a bunch if boost to everything?

Does mana remain between rebirths?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

colour coded gatherings of magic

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Mana would remain.

Your options for mana would be
1) Use it now on any ol' card with the stat boost you want, as they come in.

But (at least my theory is) by making cards come in more often than mana you can also:

B) Wait longer for more card effects, trash bad ones and use the good ones, letting you minmax about 10% more efficiency.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

something posted:

Sure i'll call it mayo

Finally we have a use for the cooking stat.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Red mayo: hot sauce + mayo
Green mayo: olive oil + mayo
White mayo: ranch + mayo
Black mayo: dark chocolate + mayo
Bleu mayo: Bleu cheese + mayo

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

something posted:

Dammit i've been bamboozled.

Anyways i'm bored in a home depot parking lot while visiting family so here is my closer-to-final plans for the cards feature

SPOILERS LOOK AWAY NOW

Defeating exile will drop an item which will shockingly, unlock the cards feature. After this, every kill from an exile+ titan will yield a random card drop, random in this case means several things:

1) the name of the card wil be randomized in a madlibs style of, say, "VERBing NOUN of ADJECTIVE" OR "ADJECTIVE NOUN" for every NOUN, the card art will be representative of that NOUN. This will involve plenty of goofy art (by musluk!). The objectibeve of the card's name and art is purely to create jokes and hilarious combinations, hopefully.
2) On the side of the card will be up to *six* different mana costs, much like mtg. For example a card may require 3 blue and 2 black manas. This will be shown using up to 6 little mana icons along the right side on the art. This cost will be randomized within a very ti y range, relative to the stat-up effects of the card

3) The card will have a randomly selected stat it buffs (e.g Energy NGU Speed, Adv Stats, Hack Speed) and amount. This will have a slight variance of about +=10% so if you want to minmax the best rolled cards you can, but isnt required really.

In the cards feature itself you'll view your "deck" (inventory) of cards, and choose ones to trash or to play/consume. This uses the given card's mana costs and grants the stats listed.

Also in the menu, you'll choose 1 of which 6 mana types to generate, which will use a formula similar to hacks, when the bar fills you get 1 mana of that type. The speed formula will utilize depend the 6 mana types, on energy/magic/resource3 power/bars.

Generally, you're gonna generate much more cards than you will mana to use them, so you can afford to be picky and use the exact/best card you want with your more-limited mana.

Six new fruits will also be added to YGGDRASIL at very high seed/activation costs, and this will function as a permanent, passive mana generation resource for when you're even further in progression.

As for the bonuses, you'll be able to upgrade the TIER of card dropped for each bonus type.through perks/quirks/wishes etc. Each +1 tier for a card type will impact the stat by a small exponential, dending on the bonus type, but in general +1 tier will be very noticable. I'll also probably add QOL functions to auto trash cards with tier <x

I'll also add some sellout shop purchasables, such as a consumable to temporarily increase the tier of all card drops for a day by +1 or 2, and extra deck size to store more cards. Probably a rainbow heart to improve mana gen globally by 10%

As for the I.O.U for Krissmuss, this will be +X MANA OF EVERY TYPE. Where X will be decided later to equal a few day's worth all at once.

Ok but what has this got to do with paperclips

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

pixaal posted:

You might not want to use mana at all with cards, I think Magic has that trade marked and aggressively defends it.

Call in monna or something else that is said almost the same.

hearthstone uses mana

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Slay the spire uses Energy

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Use mayo, and the cooking stat effects it.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

something posted:

Probably a rainbow heart

More like a Black Lotus heart

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Feel free to use my M:tG parody idea "Mogic: the Get-togethering". (Which itself is also a phantasy star 2 reference).

Also I think wizards has tap copyrighted or trademarked or whatever but not Mana. Use mayo anyway.

SynthesisAlpha fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 28, 2019

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Does the Blind Challenge get blinder as it goes on, or did it get hotfixed recently? I remember being able to see my NUMBER.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Falcon2001 posted:

Does the Blind Challenge get blinder as it goes on, or did it get hotfixed recently? I remember being able to see my NUMBER.

It gets blinder as it goes on.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
this sounds like macguffins but fleshed out and not worthless there I said it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings