Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
MGR wears the skin of a combo based game like DMC, but ultimately it's a different beast. You don't really get much out of trying to get a huge combo, the game is more about standing your ground and never letting the enemy's hit get in the way of your attacking. I actually like the parry a lot more than Royalguard, but a big reason is because 90% of the enemies in Revengeance are "guy with sword" so it's much easier to know when you need to use it. Guarding in DMC isn't nearly as clear cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t think of MGR as misrepresenting itself though, you get lots of high speed action, and Raiden can recover from his parries app quickly.

MGR is also way more focused on Spectacle Boss Fights and those bosses are the reason I’ve beaten the game like 15 times across 3 systems. With the exception of the Vergil and Angel fights in 3/4/5, none of the bosses in DMC are anywhere near as impressive or interesting, and a big part of that is how important parrying is. DMC is built so that Dante can just never get hit with anything, Raiden is built to deflect.

It’s a different kind of badass.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I really think a big problem with V is how easy they made getting good rankings with him, probably because they didn’t want people to be too frustrated with having to learn something so radically different from every DMC character thus far. You’re supposed to be weaving in and out of enemies reading poetry and being a goth kid pretending you don’t care about the destruction around you and actually I think it’s funny aren’t I so edgy, but it’s hard to reinforce that to the player when they can easily get SSS mashing buttons and vaping in the corner.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Bust Rodd posted:

MGR is also way more focused on Spectacle Boss Fights and those bosses are the reason I’ve beaten the game like 15 times across 3 systems. With the exception of the Vergil and Angel fights in 3/4/5, none of the bosses in DMC are anywhere near as impressive or interesting, and a big part of that is how important parrying is. DMC is built so that Dante can just never get hit with anything, Raiden is built to deflect.

I think MGR benefits from the bosses nearly all being human opponents. As I've commented in this thread before, the best bosses in these kind of games are those which are similar to the player's character.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Yeah I gotta agree. Giant monsters like cerberus or even the very first boss in DMC5 are kinda frustrating because it's always hard to tell what parts of them swinging their arms or heads or whatever around you can safely ignore and which parts you have to dodge, and when exactly you're supposed to dodge even when you know it's an attack aimed at you.

MGR does it better even with the big things, though, because it has an attack indicator light.

DMC's biggest problem with boss fights isn't really the fights themselves though, it's how when you die, you gotta wait like 30 seconds for the game over screen to play out, and then if you're lucky you don't have to run through half the level again to get back to the fight. It actually made me give up on some of the fights and just gold orb through them because retrying for real was such a hassle.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Enemies in MGR having flashing red eyes when attacking looks cool as heck and is a very good design choice. Bayonetta also has a similar visual cue and I like it a lot.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Giant Boss monsters in DMC games also provide almost no challenge once you unlock enemy step, it’s too easy to just infinitely style on them while kicking off of their face, resetting all your combos, and then airdashing to them over and over.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

Enemies in MGR having flashing red eyes when attacking looks cool as heck and is a very good design choice.

This, absolutely.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t think of MGR as misrepresenting itself though, you get lots of high speed action, and Raiden can recover from his parries app quickly.

It’s a different kind of badass.

MGR rules pretty dang hard, yeah. I remember when I found out that you can parry pretty much anything in the game (like Ray at the start) and I was blown away. There's never any reason to be afraid of anything other than your own timing with the parry. Stand your ground and reap the benefits of being the ultimate cyborg badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMx8nQUxE_k

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Apparently they're adding something new to the Switch version of DMC3

https://twitter.com/DevilMayCry/status/1214577683952091136

The most likely things I can think of it could be would be official style switcher mod or Nintendo cosplay costumes like Bayonetta.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Swapping styles on the fly would so fundamentally change the nature of devil may cry three that I would pay another $20 to play it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It has to be style Switch right, it's got too much brand synergy + demand to not be. that would be so dope.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does the PC version of DMC:HD Collection have a style switcher mod yet?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ya

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
V skin for Vergil

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The style names are new.

It's totally a style switcher.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Dope!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I will be buying every Devil May Cry forever and ever

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

I haven't played DMC2 and almost bought the switch version when I was drunk. But maybe one day I'll be there with you

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
Never buy devil may cry 2

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Real gamers don't skip DMC2

https://youtu.be/lcvw1E0Mcac

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
looks like I'm buying Devil May Cry 3 for like the 4th time

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Style switching would make DMC3 significantly easier, wouldn't it?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Like you wouldn't believe.

Also Doppelganger and Quicksilver on demand?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Encounter design for Dante in 4 and 5 throws everything at him because he's able to do literally everything at any time.

3's encounter design is vastly simpler because Dante only has access to one Style at any given moment. In any fight, you may not have Trickster's agility, Swordmaster's expanded offensive capabilities, Gunslinger's enemy manipulation, or Royal Guard's no-sell-anything, so things are built for you to be able to conquer any situation with a limited arsenal.

Now remove that limitation, and see what happens.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
With that said, it's also insanely fun to have that freedom in DMC3

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
style switching makes DMC3 way easier not because the enemy design is different (I would argue that the enemy design is more based on the idea that specific styles are good for specific missions/enemies but you have options in any style as a second best thing) but because each style is individually way more powerful than in 5 and especially 4 because they designed them under the idea you could only have one. it was the original plan before ps2 hardware limitations prevented them, but then they proceeded to design the game around you not being able to style switch. in particular, being able to bust out quicksilver whenever you want while also having even one other style (let alone 4-5) is insanely busted because most of the best ways to build DT are from style moves

it would be a cute change but it's not enough to justify me buying a 5th copy of dmc3. get back to me when they make lady playable or have the motorcycle weapon like they had also originally planned.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Dmc3 with style switching is fun as hell, and until 5 has Artemis, Agni & Rudra and Nevan is completely worth loving around with again even if you haven't sucked all the meat from 5's bones.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Anyone ever get drunk, watch this video, and cry?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4qd222ljn0

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
DMCV is on GDQ right now!

http://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Human difficulty boooo

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Human difficulty is boring and very unstylish. Auto bad run :smith:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Speaking of that DMC3 Port:

EDIT: Oh wait nevermind, this doesn't say you can do that on the fly, just that you can change at all.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Kikas posted:

EDIT: Oh wait nevermind, this doesn't say you can do that on the fly, just that you can change at all.

That’s true, but isn’t it strange that now your style name is above your health?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I have never before seen official marketing for dmc3 stay New Style Change System, it's always just been Style System.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Whoops

Pomp fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 10, 2020

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I mean it could be just for clarity.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Well we got to wait until Jan 16th to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
unlike later games dmc3 had your healthbar look way different depending on what style you used, I don't think there's any real argument to be made about adding that text just to make it easier to tell which one you're in