Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

qirex posted:

Fun fact: Morrisey actually died after recording Your Arsenal and it's been one of those weird "Gallagher 2" situations ever since.

e: Motown's Greatest Hits is still in print and might be a fun record.

I've got the 1975 pressing of the 64 greatest hits and it is indeed a fantastic record.
2019 is the 60th anniversary release though and probably worth the purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

actionjackson posted:

The dust cover on my SL-D33 comes back down a bit to easily (i.e. if it's up, almost any pressure on the table can cause it to fall down again). Is there anything I can do about this?

If it's held up by spring tension you might be able to find newer springs of the same size, possibly on McMaster-Carr or Digikey. If it's held up solely by plastic on plastic friction then you might be able to tighten the hinge screws to help a little. Caveat: don't own one, just looked at pictures online.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

guys

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649553029-sound-lab-soundlab-prostat-922-completely-rebuilt-by-sound-lab-in-utah-2019/images/2406793/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I use these $20,000 speakers to listen this album where everyone is out of tune because they all tuned to the bass and the bassist had left his guitar in his trunk for a few days and it was flat.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

The Marantz I thrifted still has a weird issue with the power amp, and my trusty SX-750 took a poo poo the other night and needs repair (something shorted so it keeps going in and out of protection mode with speakers plugged in). So I did what any sane vintage stereo lover would do:

I brought home a big boy.

This is my Kenwood Eleven II. 80 WPC, weighs over 40 lbs. It sounds super great! It worked perfectly when I brought it home, so I promptly broke the sleep timer and had to open it up to get the unit to turn on again, but other than that it's absolutely flawless.

Note the sheer size of it compared to the record sleeve above it. It's easily twice as big as my normal receivers:

It has VU METERS! I wish they were bigger, but still!

I talked the guy down from $450 to $260.

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
What an absolute unit. It has great lighting and meters, but you know that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Eh, get back to me when you bring home a CR-2040. 7 years with this 55lb monster, wouldn’t have it another way.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Eh, get back to me when you bring home a CR-2040. 7 years with this 55lb monster, wouldn’t have it another way.

Yeah but those don't have the sexy blue lights.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Yeah but those don't have the sexy blue lights.

No, they have sexy green ones

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Hot directed here by the newbie thread. Are there any components with integrated oscilloscopes that aren't rare and expensive as gently caress?

Failing that, do any of you know much about standalone analog oscilloscopes to recommend just for the aesthetic?

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Check out the MCS VTR, go around 80 to 100 bucks on ebay, sorta like a oscilloscope. I've had one for years and it's pretty fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPneS9ZdUB8

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
If it's just the visual look you are after, could check out stuff like the Sansui RG-7. Big central shiny graphics display, and an actual use in a audio setup unlike having a fat oscilloscope daisy chained in.

I am actually almost certain I've seen a piece or two of gear with an integrated oscilloscope though. I'll try and have a think about it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Jeza posted:

If it's just the visual look you are after, could check out stuff like the Sansui RG-7. Big central shiny graphics display, and an actual use in a audio setup unlike having a fat oscilloscope daisy chained in.

I am actually almost certain I've seen a piece or two of gear with an integrated oscilloscope though. I'll try and have a think about it.

Marantz 4400 has one.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Nice looking Marantz. Done a bit of googling, but sadly the only one I can find that doesn't cost roughly a small car is the Trio/Kenwood KC-6060. And that's still uncommon and not cheap.

You could buy a regular laboratory oscilloscope, but imo it's a bit of an aesthetic pipe dream unless you're willing to fork out big bucks. There are less heinously expensive distracting graphic displays out there.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I've seen the MCS VTR and like that a good bit as well, it's a much more realistic get. I'll check around periodically for analog lab scopes and hope I get lucky down the road. Thanks for the input and advice.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Got the Ortofon 2M red for the holidays. On first listening (using Pink Floyd - Echoes) the main thing I notice is some difference in the snare drum and toms. I'd say the vocals and bass guitar is a bit improved but not sure. The bass guitar seems more noticeable.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Kinda related: are there any products that would take the audio from my stereo and output a Winamp visualization kinda display to my TV or would I have to gently caress around with a Raspberry pi to do that?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Kinda related: are there any products that would take the audio from my stereo and output a Winamp visualization kinda display to my TV or would I have to gently caress around with a Raspberry pi to do that?

Not at all what you’re specifically asking for, but if you just want some kind of visual element you could get the dr scientist spectrum analyzer? https://www.drscientist.ca/pedals/spectrum-analyzer/

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

So the late 90s/early 2000s produced some of the coolest visualizer thingies in existence and I can't hook any of them up to my hifi? I'm going to produce on this year I swear to fuckin' god.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Grand Prize Winner posted:

So the late 90s/early 2000s produced some of the coolest visualizer thingies in existence and I can't hook any of them up to my hifi? I'm going to produce on this year I swear to fuckin' god.

Winamp will do visualizations on line-in. I have an old laptop sitting around, I think I know what I'm going to do with it (and maybe one of those cheap projectors)

Garvey
Jul 19, 2010
My girlfriend gave me for Christmas a record player like the below:

https://1byone.com/belt-drive-3-speed-stereo-turntable-with-built-in-speakers.html

I've noticed the records appear to be wobbling, and this looks to be caused by the platter the record rests on not spinning quite evenly. I know this is a budget unit and not very adjustable, but is there anything I can do about this?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Probably not, these things aren’t exactly renowned for being great quality.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

Probably not, these things aren’t exactly renowned for being great quality.

Yeah belt-drives will never work right :mmmhmm:

Garvey
Jul 19, 2010
Am I at risk of damaging records if I continue to use it?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Garvey posted:

Am I at risk of damaging records if I continue to use it?

You damage records every time you play them on every phonograph. Do you have insanely collectible records?

Garvey
Jul 19, 2010
No not at all! Perhaps I should rephrase - am I at risk of unnecessarily damaging records faster than I would without the wobble? I've never owned a record before yesterday!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Garvey posted:

No not at all! Perhaps I should rephrase - am I at risk of unnecessarily damaging records faster than I would without the wobble? I've never owned a record before yesterday!

I don't know how severe the wobble is but if it's not scraping the platter, or scraping the record edge on something, or bouncing the needle off the record, I wouldn't worry about it.

Garvey
Jul 19, 2010
Excellent, thank you very much!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Those cheaper tables do tend to have heavier weight on the needle and can damage records more than a better table that only has 1-2 grams

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah belt-drives will never work right :mmmhmm:

A belt-drive TT that doesn’t cost $50 will actually be pretty good at its job, if Rega and Audio Technica and Fluance and ProJect etc are to be believed.

Like, I’m probably one of the bigger direct-drive sticklers ITT but I still can’t make heads or tails of this post

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'm about to get my in-laws ancient stereo setup.

It's a Sanyo TP 420 and a full set of other mid 80s Sanyo components. No idea what the Speakers are yet. The components have hellaciously faded and cloudy plastic bits like this (same models, not mine)

Haven't been able to test anything but I assume I it's mostly broken. I'm confident enough in my tinkering ability to repair the turntable and maybe the speakers if need be but fixing the other components may be beyond my ken.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is there any hope that they are clear plastic with cards behind and is just that the plastic yellowed?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

mango sentinel posted:

I'm about to get my in-laws ancient stereo setup.

It's a Sanyo TP 420 and a full set of other mid 80s Sanyo components. No idea what the Speakers are yet. The components have hellaciously faded and cloudy plastic bits like this (same models, not mine)

Haven't been able to test anything but I assume I it's mostly broken. I'm confident enough in my tinkering ability to repair the turntable and maybe the speakers if need be but fixing the other components may be beyond my ken.

You can use plastic renewer like you would on car bumpers to clean it somewhat up. Also dish soap to clean off dirt first.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cojawfee posted:

Those cheaper tables do tend to have heavier weight on the needle and can damage records more than a better table that only has 1-2 grams

The LP format was designed for tracking weights over 6 grams.

As long as the stylus is in good condition, it'll be fine. The sound quality will probably be lesser than on a fancy turntable, though.

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
I know someone posted about an oscilloscope before. I found one at my local used music store for $199.99. It’s a JC Penny VTR Component TV, which is a TV monitor oscilloscope. TechMoan on YT has a whole video on it. It looked cool as hell and was in working condition.

This probably doesn’t help you at all, but they do exist in the wild still.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Oscilloscope chat.

Depending on what brand of gear you have in your system you may be able to find matching tuner that has a built in oscilloscope.

They were included on high end tuners because they can be used to display fine tuning of a station.

The one on my Marantz 150 tuner has a few modes, it can display fine tuning, the sound output of the station you are tuned to in stereo or quad, and it has external inputs that display stereo or quad from an external source.

I have the tape out of my 3200 preamp plugged into the oscilloscope input on my tuner so it's showing the record playing in this video.

https://youtu.be/tTYDuTcWk8k

I don't run the scope all the time because I'm relatively sure that it will be a huge hassle to get replaced if it dies. It does have a power switch so you can turn it off and leave the tuner on. I did read something saying that the scopes Marantz used were a standard part in other devices and can still be purchased as NOS but hopefully I never have to find out.

I'm currently trying to find the correct fan for my 510M since the original has got some bearing noise and isn't long for this world. Was a commonly used industrial 120v fan and $5 up until it was discontinued a few years ago and now they are $50 or $60.

I found a correct size and comparably spec'ed fan on Amazon for $17 that I may end up trying instead.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

So I bought klipsch kg 4.5s on Sunday and sold them yesterday. They just didn’t sound as good as my original Advents.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

So I bought klipsch kg 4.5s on Sunday and sold them yesterday. They just didn’t sound as good as my original Advents.

Yeah they're not great speakers.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Edit: gently caress it I made a thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908917

Selling an ortofon 2m red and probably a Nagaoka MP-110 in that thread tomorrow when my new cartridge arrives.

LooksLikeABabyRat fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
Plugged my AT-120 into my Beomaster 6000, but what’s coming out of my speakers is does not sound like music. There is no turntable grounding pin on the back of the Beomaster and the manual does not indicate I need to ground the TT.

I use the Beomaster as my FM tuner and it’s hooked up to the antenna on my roof. That antenna is grounded to the receiver using the tuner grounding pin.

When listening to FM radio, it sounds perfect. If I switch to phono, it’s unlistenable and I’m worried about damaging my speakers. Can I double ground onto the same grounding pin? I am so confused.