Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Codependent Poster posted:

TV Triss does have chestnut hair. You can see it better when it's framed against light.

This.

Also every episode had dialogue or visual cues to let the viewer know the diff POVs are at different times in the overall story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

esperterra posted:

This.

Also every episode had dialogue or visual cues to let the viewer know the diff POVs are at different times in the overall story.

They do, but if you're completely new to the setting you're going to be confused when someone starts talking about how Queen Calanthe just won her first battle at age 14 because you don't remember who Queen Calanthe is or what a Cintra is supposed to be.

Then even if you do remember who Calanthe is and figure out that this means we're in a Geralt story in the past, how long ago is it actually? 30 years? 50? Does that difference matter? Wait how old was Calanthe when Cintra fell, did anyone say? I dunno but while I was figuring that out everyone kept talking and said seven more names I missed.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Alchenar posted:

There's an interview where he says he was originally trying to do Geralt in his own yorkshire accent because Geralt is a bit of a rural hick but it just wasn't working so he went back to Cockle's performance and realised he'd just nailed it.

yo cavil is from my own county? which part?

edit: lol wiki says hes not from yorkshire, hes from goddamn jersey and then buckinghamshire.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Timeline stuff: there's hints and such through the entire season regarding the timeline, and as you progress through the episodes, the hints get stronger and stronger until they're outright telling you that you're in different timelines. Different people will catch on at different times, depending on how well they pick up on the clues, but most people should have it figured out before the end of the season. I don't see anything wrong with that. Knowing there are different timelines doesn't change much of the flow of the show, as it's all relatively self contained, up until the point its not. So I'm glad the show creators took a gamble and bet on the viewer's intelligence. Hell I've read all the books multiple times, and I didn't catch the different timeline until episode 2 or 3. But instead of going "oh man I wish i knew that sooner" instead I was like "oh poo poo that's awesome, it's just like The Last Wish and I can't wait to watch the season again and see all the clues." Show is good.

Triss: not only is her hair in the show book accurate, but she also has the freckles that the book describes her as having, and she straight up gets the chest burns as well. I'd say that even though Triss probably doesn't look like most readers thought she would, she's still reasonably accurate to the books description of her.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Wicked Them Beats posted:

They do, but if you're completely new to the setting you're going to be confused when someone starts talking about how Queen Calanthe just won her first battle at age 14 because you don't remember who Queen Calanthe is or what a Cintra is supposed to be.

Then even if you do remember who Calanthe is and figure out that this means we're in a Geralt story in the past, how long ago is it actually? 30 years? 50? Does that difference matter? Wait how old was Calanthe when Cintra fell, did anyone say? I dunno but while I was figuring that out everyone kept talking and said seven more names I missed.

Most TV viewers are dumb, sure, but it's not that hard to remember a name you just learned. Plenty of people in the TVIV thread have commented that they're new to the setting, caught onto the timeline stuff from E1 or early on, and liked that the show didn't spoonfeed it too obviously or try to treat it as a twist.

Oddly it's mostly people familiar with the source material who I have seen complaining about it.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Cantorsdust posted:

2) The show’s biggest sin so far is that for someone who hasn’t read the books or played the games and has no familiarity with the characters, it’s very hard to follow the meta-plot.

So far the worst example is in episode 4 where Geralt’s story is the wedding of Pavetta and Duny while Ciri’s story is her encountering the druids of Brokilon Forest. But Geralt’s story is taking place literally a decade before Ciri’s (since Ciri obviously isn’t born yet when her mom marries). There’s no good indication to the viewer of this until the very end of the episode.

You don't need to remember a name. She falls out a window in episode 1, she's alive in episode 4. And her lover/husband is walking around.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Lol if you watch episode 4 with subtitles there's a moment when Pavetta summons chaos at the feast and the subtitles are [Winds Howling]

:dudsmile:

itry fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 27, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol if you watch episode 4 with subtitles there's a moment when Pavetta summons chaos at the feast and the subtitles are [Winds Howling]

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

itry posted:

You don't need to remember a name. She falls out a window in episode 1, she's alive in episode 4. And her lover/husband is walking around.

I mean in regards to people picking up on the hint in episode one. It's not that difficult.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

esperterra posted:

Most TV viewers are dumb, sure, but it's not that hard to remember a name you just learned.

Buddy, TV viewers are terrible about remembering names, especially when they're weirdass names like Calanthe instead of something you'd recognize. Especially when they're in the middle of being introduced to all this other weirdass poo poo for this weird fantasy world. And I honestly didn't give her a lot of thought after she fell out of a window in the first episode because I figured that was the end of her relevance. I did notice a reference to the timelines being different in episode 2 or 3, but the show doesn't make it explicit until the episode with the hedgehog knight when Calanthe shows up and she's unsmushed.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I'm not saying it's a huge deal but it feels like one more obstacle to letting mainstream viewers into the show. You have people watching episode 4 who can't tell Pavetta and Ciri apart and getting real confused. I have a friend who might like this show but I'm going to have to warn her to have subtitles on so she can follow things and to please let me know if she's not sure what's going on, because I know if I don't talk her through some of it she'll get frustrated and stop after episode two.

I'm not saying they need to handhold the audience through every conversation or anything, but even something as simple as flashing the date on the screen to give viewers a little more context would have gone a long way.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
My roommates like it, my coworkers like it, r/freefolk is all about it, seems like it was a fine decision. Maybe stop underestimating the normies or whatever

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

e: gently caress it. Not here to start a fight. Just sick of seeing all these "how could anyone ever figure out this show without my special knowledge?"

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 27, 2019

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

IMO there's a big gap in age and lifestyle when it comes to paying attention to TV shows. Some people will absolutely not pay attention to TV, and that's fine. There's other stuff to do in life. Some people will pay attention to TV. Some people will pay attention to TV but not internalize anything, like my parents who watch a lot of TV but often couldn't tell you the names of recurring characters on a show they've watched three seasons of. It's usually because they're busy, or they try to watch multiple shows at once, and they definitely don't binge shows so they may come back a month later to watch a couple new episodes when the new Netflix DVD arrives. (Yes, some people still do this.)

In conclusion, TV is a land of contrasts.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Anyone have experience running this on a 6GB 1060 in 4k? I'm trying to decide whether to play this on my PC or on PS4 Pro. Any idea which one will look better on a 4k TV?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Phenotype posted:

Anyone have experience running this on a 6GB 1060 in 4k? I'm trying to decide whether to play this on my PC or on PS4 Pro. Any idea which one will look better on a 4k TV?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsSsXKvlZ2U

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Phenotype posted:

Despite its age this game doesn't have the best 4k performance either way even with modern cards unless you've really dropped some cash for a good overkill gpu, but you can def squeeze out a lot more fidelity on pc vs ps4 pro.

Also I know you didn't ask but another point in PC's favor is it has a lot of really good QoL mods, like the ability to slightly increase text size to make it more easily readable on a tv (seems like by default its formatted for PC sitting distance), or the enhanced targeting mod, which, if you're playing with a controller, is almost necessary to deal with the batshit insane default targeting protocols. Autoloot and friendly HUD are nice too.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't even get why Geralt had to do anything there. I guess its implied that everyone else was at risk? Didn't really seem like anyone was trying to run away though.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

oh drat I was assuming you're trying to hit 60fps, if 30's your benchmark your 1060 is probably fine if you turn down shadows a bit and like foilage or something

hairworks can get a little crazy too on higher resolutions

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm working on the Brothers in Arms quests and I'm not sure if I'm missing something with Triss or if the game is being awkward. Looking at the quest description it indicates I talked to everyone inclduing Triss. The box is unchecked next to, "Help Triss finish what she has to do in Novigrad." When I talk to Triss there is no important quest-related yellow text. Is there something remaining to do that I'm missing or am I safe to keep going with the story?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

What other quests do you have in your log?
There is a whole chain of quests involving Triss and it seems that you have skipped them.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Helith posted:

What other quests do you have in your log?
There is a whole chain of quests involving Triss and it seems that you have skipped them.

Oh that's a great point. I'll take a close look at my other quests.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Pyrus Malus posted:

Despite its age this game doesn't have the best 4k performance either way even with modern cards unless you've really dropped some cash for a good overkill gpu, but you can def squeeze out a lot more fidelity on pc vs ps4 pro.

Also I know you didn't ask but another point in PC's favor is it has a lot of really good QoL mods, like the ability to slightly increase text size to make it more easily readable on a tv (seems like by default its formatted for PC sitting distance), or the enhanced targeting mod, which, if you're playing with a controller, is almost necessary to deal with the batshit insane default targeting protocols. Autoloot and friendly HUD are nice too.

I just reinstalled last night on an overkill PC (RTX2080) and installed all the HD mods and am running on an ultra wide 1440 and jfc this game is a hell of a lot prettier than I remember coming from my old GTX970.

Installed all the QoL mods (autoloot, oils, etc) too because gently caress it and this is going to be a great replay.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't like this season much, but the series has potential to really pick up in season two. They did a lot of work setting up backstories, but it was exactly the stuff that was original that I thought was the worst. The Istredd stuff was...bad. Aretuza was bad. (I have no idea what the point of the eel scene was, other than to show that...mages are morally bankrupt?) Calanthe was bad. The interweaving of timelines and storylines didn't give much room for even the best individual stories to breathe.

But Geralt and Dandelion are good, and that's a real start.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
One thing the show made a point of was the trade off that using magic is. I do not remember that in any of the games, just Triss casually summoning fire (which is also apparently a forbidden magic?) Was that always a thing, just not focused on or am I just not remembering at all?

I really liked the show, and if it follows the books I think I might actually start reading them.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Broose posted:

One thing the show made a point of was the trade off that using magic is. I do not remember that in any of the games, just Triss casually summoning fire (which is also apparently a forbidden magic?) Was that always a thing, just not focused on or am I just not remembering at all?

I really liked the show, and if it follows the books I think I might actually start reading them.

I'm pretty sure it was about using fire as a source for magic (chaos) energy, not fire as the "output". Otherwise igni would be a problem too.

The show has greatly restricted magic compared to the books and games, presumably for VFX budget reasons.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

hobbesmaster posted:

The show has greatly restricted magic compared to the books and games, presumably for VFX budget reasons.

I was a little disappointed Geralt didn't show off all his signs. I think we only saw Aard. There were plenty of opportunities for Igni. I think you're right about budget constraints. But on the other hand, the fight choreography was better than I expected.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

I was a little disappointed Geralt didn't show off all his signs. I think we only saw Aard. There were plenty of opportunities for Igni. I think you're right about budget constraints. But on the other hand, the fight choreography was better than I expected.

He actually uses yrden and quen in the striga fight but its all very fast, and yrden doesn't really work like any of the games.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

He actually uses yrden and quen in the striga fight but its all very fast, and yrden doesn't really work like any of the games.

Henry Cavill is running an alchemy build.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
He tries to use Axii on Renfri too iirc

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
Extremely late to the party on this but, inspired by the Netflix show, I'm playing Wild Hunt for the first time ever. The combat feels kinda' floaty and awkward but I'm sure it'll pick up once I get used to the controls. Just spoke to the Emperor about Ciri so I'm still in the early stages. Any general recommendations? There's a ton of systems in play, abilities and so on, and I'd really like to avoid gimping myself if at all possible. (on PS4 so mods aren't an option)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Psycho Mantits posted:

Extremely late to the party on this but, inspired by the Netflix show, I'm playing Wild Hunt for the first time ever. The combat feels kinda' floaty and awkward but I'm sure it'll pick up once I get used to the controls. Just spoke to the Emperor about Ciri so I'm still in the early stages. Any general recommendations? There's a ton of systems in play, abilities and so on, and I'd really like to avoid gimping myself if at all possible. (on PS4 so mods aren't an option)

As a similar new player I put one point in Axii for the Jedi Mind Trick thing (which gets you XP to use) and I've found as long as you get good at dodge rolling just working on your Quick Attack can get you pretty far.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Psycho Mantits posted:

Anything you'd need to know is covered in the bottom half of the second post. Enjoy!

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Psycho Mantits posted:

Pretty hard to build bad. The early game is "oh poo poo wolves run" and past level 10 or so you're thinking "hm, level [my own plus ten] contract, very doable." Alchemy is almost certainly the strongest build, followed by signs. Also, you get to respec for 1000 gold from various vendors, so don't worry about optimality too much.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Psycho Mantits posted:

There are no bad builds unless you try to intentionally be mediocre at everything and only use ability points on the general abilities, and even then you can still beat the game. I'm pretty sure Level 1 runs are a thing in TW3.

Basically if you pick an ability, max it out. There are a few skills you'll want at least a minimum investment in without maxin (Axii), but if you like quick attacks, put all the points you can in to quick attacks, like strong attacks, etc. You have limited slots to equip abilities, so you'll want to maximize the effectiveness of the abilities you pick.

Most importantly, look good doing it. Pick cool clothes.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Look Sir Droids posted:

Most importantly, look good doing it. Pick cool clothes.

This is an important play tip.

Get the Wolf gear. And use dyes when you get access. Pink leather looks incredible.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Look Sir Droids posted:

I'm pretty sure Level 1 runs are a thing in TW3.

How? I appreciate that one could be good enough at dancing that they're never hit (pretty elite in itself), but it would take half an hour to kill a level 20 enemy at level 1.

For a challenge, I killed that archgriffin(?) north of Skellige while it was still at '??'. Even with the appropriate decoction and poison it took me ages.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

It's a shame dyes are available so late. There's got to be a mod to add them early.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Look Sir Droids posted:

It's a shame dyes are available so late. There's got to be a mod to add them early.

A man who resents wearing a doublet -- who doesn't even wear armor, as near as I can tell from the books -- is only invested in looking pretty once he's in near-retirement.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm pretty sure Igni is a sign that CDPR invented starting with The Witcher 1. The signs I remember from the books are Aard, Axii, Quen (I think this is what was used inside the Striga tomb to keep it sealed) and Heliotrope, which was for defending against magic, if I remember correctly. It's important to keep the game and books separate when talking about the show, because otherwise you're bringing up a source of material that isn't in use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Igni was used by Geralt in the short story with gold dragon, where he cut through rope binding Yennefers hands with it. It was described more like a laser than a blast of fire though.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 27, 2019