Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Yavuz posted:

The Soviets were "invited by the sitting government" in the sense that they scooped up a few reliably pro-Soviet members of the sitting government and got them to authorize a coup against the rest of the government, then stormed the Presidential Palace in a bloody massacre. Now, it's not as if the president who got murdered was a good guy or anything, but that narrative is complete bullshit.

Didn't Russia do the exact same thing in the Crimea? Get some local governor type to declare independence and request Russian support?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Rick and Morty is real because science is real. Also Rick would totally be my friend and we'd go to the bar on weekdays together.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It probably doesn’t help that Boots was the subject of a 9/11 conspiracy theory. That ones gonna send you one way or the other, he probably questions whether in fact he did know.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Katt posted:

Didn't Russia do the exact same thing in the Crimea? Get some local governor type to declare independence and request Russian support?

Not even.

They just snuck a bunch of troops in there, sieged the local Ukrainian troops in their barracks once they had enough men present, then took de facto control of the place, started executing dissidents, torturing them, tossing their bodies in ditches and then once they'd disenfranchised, killed or chased away enough Ukrainian loyalists, they staged an extremely dubious referendum that, shock and surprise, revealed that everyone loved Russia and didn't want anything to change.

Let's try asking the loving Tatars if they're on board with that bullshit.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/fat_barb/status/936439824151662593?s=21

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Oh no the airport high heels dude is a libertarian

https://twitter.com/writhing_south/status/1210280546103971846?s=21

I was excited about the Rush sticker but then I realized he likes the worst thing about them

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
We regret to inform you the milkshake legs have Opinions about the age of consent

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

:thunk::thunk::thunk::thunk::thunk:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Taking off the blue check mark to do some deniable ops on twitter

https://twitter.com/DavidOAtkins/status/1210108179943575552?s=19

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Leopards eating faces etc.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

PurpleXVI posted:

Is there any way to be an ecologically beneficial beekeeper? Any bees that'll choose to live in a man-made hive that aren't potentially harming free bees by stealing their work and/or are actually decent pollenators?

StrangersInTheNight posted:

also curious on this. this also makes me sad bc watching bees is fun and calming, and local honey is lovely

Convert some/all of your lawn into a wildflower patch and install a solitary bee hotel and care for it properly. Then convince your neighbors to do the same. You'll be doing much more for wild pollinators than beekeeping ever could.

Katt posted:

Can I have European honey bees in Europe? Or is total bee eradication the only ethical option?

Again, domestic honey bees are livestock. Yes the progenitors are native to Eurasia, but the domestic varieties carry disease and parasites and you run the risk of transferring those or polluting the genepool of wild populations if you keep hives where they live.

When experts said bees are in danger no one ever meant domestic honey bees. It's the wild ones that need our help and in some places they need it very badly.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Mak0rz posted:

Again, domestic honey bees are livestock. Yes the progenitors are native to Eurasia, but the domestic varieties carry disease and parasites and you run the risk of transferring those or polluting the genepool of wild populations if you keep hives where they live.

When experts said bees are in danger no one ever meant domestic honey bees. It's the wild ones that need our help and in some places they need it very badly.

I know some beekeepers and seems to me the wild bees are the ones rife with parasites and disease while the domestic ones are constantly inspected and treated.

Maybe one day all we will have is variations of domestic bees. Or the wild bees will be swarms from domestic hives.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Oh no the airport high heels dude is a libertarian

https://twitter.com/writhing_south/status/1210280546103971846?s=21

I was excited about the Rush sticker but then I realized he likes the worst thing about them

I'm disappointed that he's just wearing short shorts instead of a skirt.

That was one hell of a milkshake duck.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
it's not the human made bees that are in any danger, it's the 15 000+ other species that are in like, in various stages of peril and that's having a major impact on plant populations. Of course the farmed varieties will have markedly improved resilience.

regarding rick and morty stuff from earlier, I really wonder what Harmon and Roiland think about all the weird libertarian takes nerds have wrt their show. Besides enjoying their money.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Dan Harmon got pissed once about anti-semites or some terrible group of people saying it was a show for them.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Katt posted:

I know some beekeepers and seems to me the wild bees are the ones rife with parasites and disease while the domestic ones are constantly inspected and treated.

I admittedly don't know much about keeping domestic bees within their native range, but if disease transfer happens then of course the wild populations are going to have problems if they don't have keepers around to deal with it.

Also it's important to remember that wild parasites are as much wildlife as their hosts are. I was referring specifically to those spread via domestic breeding and transport.

Katt posted:

Maybe one day all we will have is variations of domestic bees. Or the wild bees will be swarms from domestic hives.

This might already be the case in a lot of Eurasian regions. I wouldn't be surprised if many wild honey bee populations are just ferals, especially considering beekeeping there has been going on for thousands of years.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

bobjr posted:

Dan Harmon got pissed once about anti-semites or some terrible group of people saying it was a show for them.

The last batch of new episodes has more than a few jokes about the recent resurgence in Nazi culture, implicitly condemns Nazi culture, and goes as far as it can in taking shots at R&M's Nazi fans without making it obvious enough that said Nazis would "get it" and turn on them. It's nice, but feels a bit like a half-measure to be honest, like "yeah we loving hate you, but you idiots getting Pickle Rick tattoo'd next to an SS symbol are our biggest merch buyers, so"

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

The last batch of new episodes has more than a few jokes about the recent resurgence in Nazi culture, implicitly condemns Nazi culture, and goes as far as it can in taking shots at R&M's Nazi fans without making it obvious enough that said Nazis would "get it" and turn on them. It's nice, but feels a bit like a half-measure to be honest, like "yeah we loving hate you, but you idiots getting Pickle Rick tattoo'd next to an SS symbol are our biggest merch buyers, so"

rick and morty as a concept is a bit of a half measure in that every once in a while rick gets a bit of an "oh he's so miserable" comeuppance while the rest of the time the show is endorsing that it's ok to be a giant rear end in a top hat if you're smarter than other people

i think the writers are aware that rick is a terrible role model for the very specific nerds who love the show, but they can't meaningfully do anything about it without ruining the show and alienating that audience who view rick as an antihero power fantasy

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Basically local government inspectors come check hives and if you have parasites or disease they tell you to deal with it. If your bees have a particularly contagious disease then government staff confiscates the hives and burn them.

I'd argue that since the bees are native anyway that this at least keeps healthy swarms moving into nature on a regular basis.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Katt posted:

I'd argue that since the bees are native anyway that this at least keeps healthy swarms moving into nature on a regular basis.

Would you argue the same if someone was releasing chickens into the wild in south Asia? Or just letting herds of cattle loose throughout Europe?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Good to know it was ahead of its time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9Z3Qkr-F9g

Mak0rz posted:

Or just letting herds of cattle loose throughout Europe?

But enough about British tourism pre-Brexit.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

luxury handset posted:

rick and morty as a concept is a bit of a half measure in that every once in a while rick gets a bit of an "oh he's so miserable" comeuppance while the rest of the time the show is endorsing that it's ok to be a giant rear end in a top hat if you're smarter than other people

i think the writers are aware that rick is a terrible role model for the very specific nerds who love the show, but they can't meaningfully do anything about it without ruining the show and alienating that audience who view rick as an antihero power fantasy

Well they did try very hard to show that Rick is pathetic and not even very good at living up to his own hype-- the third season was literally episode after episode of Rick failing to be the King of poo poo that he was in the first episode.

He gets shitfaced and can't make a proper deathtrap to kill a bunch of pompous and dysfunctional superheroes, his entire multiverse collection of alternate selves gets outplayed by one iteration of his grandson who happens to have a modicum of social cunning, he has a library of memories he erased from other people that show when he hosed up, and by the end of the season his "did I just blow your mind" cosmic existential threats like "well maybe you're a clone" don't even loving work in bullying his family while his loser son-in-law is allowed back in the house.

The famous "Picke Rick" episode literally starts because Rick didn't want to go to therapy, and ends up getting a monologue that explicitly says "not only are you emotionally stunted but your genius couldn't even get you out of coming here; all you've done is waste the day playing grabass in a sewer literally tonguing animal guts and human poo poo to get out of a situation you put yourself in." It was really not subtle.

And people still didn't get it.

Because they don't want to get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-KInfYzqZU

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 18:43 on Dec 27, 2019

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Mak0rz posted:

Would you argue the same if someone was releasing chickens into the wild in south Asia? Or just letting herds of cattle loose throughout Europe?

I don't know `how endangered wild chickens are in South Asia but are there wild cattle of the same species as the ones living in captivity roaming the forests of Europe?

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

mind the walrus posted:

this is pretty obvious

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Katt posted:

I don't know `how endangered wild chickens are in South Asia but are there wild cattle of the same species as the ones living in captivity roaming the forests of Europe?

The aurochs, progenitor to the domestic cattle, has been extinct for 400 years.

This is the last I'm adding to this derail though so let's get back to some iosm. I had fun! Please befriend some conservation biologists.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Mak0rz posted:

The aurochs, progenitor to the domestic cattle, has been extinct for 400 years.

This is the last I'm adding to this derail though so let's get back to some iosm. I had fun! Please befriend some conservation biologists.

I like the implications of how ending cattle farming would make cows extinct as a species.... For their own good I guess?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Splash Attack posted:

this is pretty obvious

mind the walrus posted:

And people still didn't get it.

Because they don't want to get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-KInfYzqZU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

https://twitter.com/judea98822692/status/1210357289875628032?s=20

Tall fences make better neighbors

-Mahatma Gandhi

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah or reworded, "ignorance is bliss"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Some people have spent too long in the safety of the middle of the bell curve and you can really tell

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Bring back aurochs. The world needs to have big wild murder cattle again.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Katt posted:

-Mahatma Gandhi

I know it's cliche to shout "bot!" when a username has a bunch of numbers at the end, but seriously something's up with that account. Following nothing but four dozen Canadian news outlets, posts almost zero tweets but makes multiple comments per minute based on surface reads of article previews.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

RoboRodent posted:

Bring back aurochs. The world needs to have big wild murder cattle again.

The Nazis tried to. They were as successful at this as they were at everything else.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

ponzicar posted:

The Nazis tried to. They were as successful at this as they were at everything else.

Oh yeah, I forgot the Nazis tried to do that.

Mostly I just feel that if I have to have a story about how I threw myself between my then nine-year-old sister and a large angry wild herbivore, so should someone in Germany.

It was a moose.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rick and Morty are not role models. They're not even human. They're cartoons. Some of the things they do would cause a person to get hurt, expelled, arrested, possibly deported. To put it another way: don't try this at home.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Katt posted:

-Mahatma Gandhi

Their response only makes sense to me if they read the headline as "raised awareness about transsexuals" instead of "raised awareness about transphobia". Either way, they're still wrong and still an idiot.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

RoboRodent posted:

Mostly I just feel that if I have to have a story about how I threw myself between my then nine-year-old sister and a large angry wild herbivore, so should someone in Germany.

It was a moose.

A Møøse once bit my sister...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Oh my loving god.

https://twitter.com/SmooGoo/status/1210584020695896064?s=20

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
"haha, that's funny, I wonder what kind of art @SmooGoo does."

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Krispy Wafer posted:

"haha, that's funny, I wonder what kind of art @SmooGoo does."

:stare:

Ok, that's enough internet for the day.