Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Right? Scoring multiple shows and movies a year, none of it phoned in, and making new ALBUMS. I know it gets said a lot but if you'd told me this would be Trent in 1999 I wouldn't ever believe it. What an inspiration of a man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Donovan Trip posted:

Right? Scoring multiple shows and movies a year, none of it phoned in, and making new ALBUMS. I know it gets said a lot but if you'd told me this would be Trent in 1999 I wouldn't ever believe it. What an inspiration of a man.

Riding so high, achieving his goals.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The prolific era of modern nine inch nails doesn’t get the respect it deserves imo

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I have literally never met another NIN fan irl in ~13 years of being into them. I've encountered plenty of people who know all the lyrics to Closer but apparently nobody who's listened to a whole album. They're easily the most famous band I like that nobody I know has heard of and I don't understand how that's a thing.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Pretty good posted:

I have literally never met another NIN fan irl in ~13 years of being into them. I've encountered plenty of people who know all the lyrics to Closer but apparently nobody who's listened to a whole album. They're easily the most famous band I like that nobody I know has heard of and I don't understand how that's a thing.

I would guess you're an outlier. The Downward Spiral has sold over 4 million copies in the US alone (The Fragile, over 2 million).

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Pretty good posted:

in my awkward high school youth I walked up to a girl who was wearing a NIN shirt and said I want to gently caress you like an animal, she had no idea what that meant and I received detention and counseling.

Trent would have been proud I think.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Photex posted:

in my awkward high school youth I walked up to a girl who was wearing a NIN shirt and said I want to gently caress you like an animal, she had no idea what that meant and I received detention and counseling.

And that girl grew up to be Captain Marvel!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

She probably did know what you meant but still didn't want to be sexually harassed even as a powerful joke or shared reference

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Photex posted:

Proof it's not so bad to never meet nin fans irl

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

oh it was loving stupid but I was young and played too much Warcraft.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1209147039734472704

quote:

“We thought, kind of playing on the newfound spirit of collaboration that scoring has forced us into, seeing what happens when we mix our DNA with some other people, with a no pressure environment. Let’s see what happens,” Reznor recently told Revolver. “If something good happens, then maybe the world can hear it. But if it doesn’t, we put it in the pile with the others.”

quote:

Even if Nine Inch Nails doesn’t release new music, though, Reznor said the band will hit the road again soon. “We’re talking about doing some shows next year, maybe,” he said. “Probably in the last half of the year.”

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 23, 2019

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So Strobe Light but serious?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Probably will end up more like Tapeworm

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im expecting double shots in major markets like LA, NY, Chicago, Toronto, and just 12 random Las Vegas dates in between all of them if the last tour is anything to go by :v:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm giving it about an 80% chance that Dave Grohl will be on that album, for one.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
So the new Miley/lil nas X collab is real

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Donovan Trip posted:

So the new Miley/lil nas X collab is real

Heady Fwends Like A Hole

I'm cautiously optimistic because I like Niggy Tardust a lot, and Mantra from Sound City, and never in a million years would I have thought that "NIN + Lindsey Buckingham" would sound so good, but here we are.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
At first I was disappointed he's not doing YZ 2.0 buuuut I'm kinda excited what a NiN collab album would be. I just think it should have happened twenty years ago but better late than never.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
a NIN collab album is an awesome idea. Hope we get some hip hop in there.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/consequence/status/1209506029802795008

quote:

As is the case with all of his film scores, Reznor worked on Bird Box with fellow NIN member Atticus Ross. However, he felt others involved in the project were simply not up to the task. “When we got immersed in it, it felt like some people were phoning it in,” Reznor commented.

“And you’re stuck with a film editor who had real bad taste. That’s kind of our barricade to getting stuff in the film.”“And the final icing on the poo poo cake was we were on tour when they mixed it. And they mixed the music so low, you couldn’t hear it anyway. So it was like, that was a … [Laughs] That was a loving waste of time. Then we thought, no one’s going to see this loving movie. And, of course, it’s the hugest movie ever in Netflix.”

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bird Box sucked rear end and I can't remember any of the music, likely due to the mixing Trent's referring to. I should give the score another listen on Spotify sometime.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1210342024240680961

quote:

“Mank,” written by the director’s late father Jack Fincher, tells the true story of Herman J. Mankiewicz as he sets out to write the script for Orson Welles’ “Citizen Kane.” Mankiewicz, played by Gary Oldman in Fincher’s movie, won an Oscar for the screenplay. Doyle teases that “Mank” is “not just a biopic about” the legendary writer.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
So excited for this

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:aaa:

Can't wait to hear how this will sound. All orchestral, maybe? Though they'll probably find some cool old percussion instruments to work with too.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

the theremin was patented in 1928, and this knowledge colors my hopes for this score

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Go listen to vitamin string quartet play NIN to get an idea what this will sound like

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Acoustic and electric guitars, bass and amps are fair game too. So theoretically they could make something like a rock band without effects pedals.

They could also use the jazz style they used on parts of the Watchmen score.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Donovan Trip posted:

Go listen to vitamin string quartet play NIN to get an idea what this will sound like

I doubt it'll be boring and shite.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Happy New Year! Any of y'all have suggestions for the 2020 thread title?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rageaholic posted:

Happy New Year! Any of y'all have suggestions for the 2020 thread title?

CMA Winner Trent Reznor & The Nine Inch Nails

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Nine Inch Nails 2020: With special thanks to Miley and Billy Ray Cyrus

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

DAD WITH A MO**ERF***ING CMA AWARD

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
The Nine Inch Nails 2020: The Manhattan Project on sale now!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the next piece of music that nin releases in 2020 will mark five different decades that have had at least one nin release

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

STONE COLD 64 posted:

the next piece of music that nin releases in 2020 will mark five different decades that have had at least one nin release
The Mark Has Been Made (5 times)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rob Sheridan saw Cats on mushrooms and reading his tweet thread about it last night was a breath of fresh air after hearing that we started World War 3.

https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/status/1212846332647395328

Here's an interview about his experience too:
https://twitter.com/ScottWamplerBMD/status/1213211525990801408

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

lmao oh Rob :allears: Still need to go see that disaster myself before it's out of the theaters.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/nytimes/status/1217433783684730880

https://mobile.twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1217434282509119490

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
Trent also had another baby in the last month? drat bro. Family huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Said Fist gently caress got into the Hall of Fame.

About loving time.