Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i def turn off my boundary thing and sit at my PC to watch movies & anime on my headset in virtual desktop tho. p sweet to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I bought a Rift S today - they're £50 off until the end of the year, and I really wanted to be able to play Half Life when it comes out. I've never tried VR before.

:stare:

holy loving poo poo it's insane. I've been running through the tutorials in Boneworks, and this is just loving nuts. The first time it wanted me to jump from height, I had to psyche myself up to do it. The sheer sense of scale you get is like nothing I could've imagined. Goddamn...

E: I also joined a random person's room in the Oculus hangout thingy as part of the tutorial and all of a sudden there's some woman talking in my ear and someone else poking in my face and I had to exit out because it was way too much.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Finally decided to upgrade to an index and they're sold out in Canada till who knows when :(

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bardeh posted:

I bought a Rift S today - they're £50 off until the end of the year, and I really wanted to be able to play Half Life when it comes out. I've never tried VR before.

holy loving poo poo it's insane. I've been running through the tutorials in Boneworks, and this is just loving nuts. The first time it wanted me to jump from height, I had to psyche myself up to do it. The sheer sense of scale you get is like nothing I could've imagined. Goddamn...

congrats!

other games I'd highly recommend trying:

Beat Saber (pretty much *the* VR game IMO)
Gorn
Hotdogs Horseshoes and Handgrenades
Virtual Desktop
Rec Room

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Finally decided to upgrade to an index and they're sold out in Canada till who knows when :(

Yeah I oo-ahh'ed before xmas about upgrading my OG VIVE and wands to the Index + controllers to get rid of that dang screen-door shimmer (but really I should wait until they launch a wireless solution I thought) and yup all sold out in the UK :o:

Combat Pretzel posted:

To patch in full VR, I doubt that'll ever happen, since it'll probably require more changes that Take2 will feel financially viable. Some rogue Rockstar developer could however meet modders half way by "hiding" a new render mode into the game that renders two cameras with a defined spatial offset per time step into the frame buffer (creating a stereoview in the framebuffer).

oh I'm sure modders would jump on that with both hands. I'm sure I saw a previous youtube of someone doing a GTAV VR 'run from the cops' in a car with a free-handed VR pistol so it must be doable.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Turin Turambar posted:

One thing that surprises me is the tracking in low light situations. Usually, if I try to use the Quest when there is already very little light in my room, it warns you of that saying it can't work. But I noticed that, if I start playing near the evening when I still had light from my window, 100 minutes later when I remove the headset I see it was already loving dark and somehow, the 6 dof tracking was trucking along.

Just got a Quest for Xmas. After suffering the WMR for awhile I've been super impressed with the inside out tracking quality of the Quest. It doesn't seem to lose a beat, even in low light.

Now I've got to mentally decide whether to rebuy all my games that I used to have on the Rift with these Xmas sales, or get new ones instead. I already had bridge crew but added the DLC to get the cross buy. Super tempted by superhot even though I have it on Rift.

Is Sariento worth it on the quest? I haven't yet played it on Desktop headsets.

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 27, 2019

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

pun pundit posted:

Virtual Desktop just mirrors whatever is on your PC, right? Why would you need to pair a wireless keyboard with your Quest rather than your PC directly?

Yeah my computer is elsewhere in the house. But I can hide in my bedroom and play stuff using the controller. I’m just impressed by how well it works that way. Only problem is if I already have a wired controller hooked up, then when I hook up the Xbone controller it’ll register as player 2. So I just unplug the wired one if I plan on doing it.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
What sort of network hardware are you all running to do this wireless streaming?

I recently moved into a nice big 70s house with double brick walls and gabled ceilings and no easy spaces to run ethernet. The cable into the house is also at the front, nowhere near my computer.

Been thinking of a mesh router system, but not sure if I'm dreaming that it would work well enough to facilitate the latency needed for VR streaming.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Isometric Bacon posted:

What sort of network hardware are you all running to do this wireless streaming?

I recently moved into a nice big 70s house with double brick walls and gabled ceilings and no easy spaces to run ethernet. The cable into the house is also at the front, nowhere near my computer.

Been thinking of a mesh router system, but not sure if I'm dreaming that it would work well enough to facilitate the latency needed for VR streaming.

Virtual Desktop streaming, as in when you're streaming your desktop screen to the headset and it's rendered in 2D, works great and has very low latency that's not really very noticeable. This works pretty well even with interference and stuff.

Wireless streaming as in streaming SteamVR to the headset wirelessly so you can do PCVR stuff is terrible and the latency is awful even if you duct taped your router to your head. There's too much latency in the headset/controllers for it to feel good, and the controllers themselves aren't generally lined up correctly and grabbing and throwing stuff works weird, even discounting the significant, awful feeling latency.

It's really not worth it even under ideal conditions. It's fun to dink around and mess with it, but that's about it imo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Isometric Bacon posted:

Just got a Quest for Xmas. After suffering the WMR for awhile I've been super impressed with the inside out tracking quality of the Quest. It doesn't seem to lose a beat, even in low light.

Now I've got to mentally decide whether to rebuy all my games that I used to have on the Rift with these Xmas sales, or get new ones instead. I already had bridge crew but added the DLC to get the cross buy. Super tempted by superhot even though I have it on Rift.

Is Sariento worth it on the quest? I haven't yet played it on Desktop headsets.

Can't speak for the Quest version, but the PCVR version of Sairento is a LOT of fun.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I’m using my Spectrum WiFi router which has 5ghz available, and I don’t notice much of a difference versus my Link cable. It’s absolutely fine. I had to do some tweaking on the router settings. Something about moving from 30hz to like 80hz or something. I forget. (It was a common suggestion of some kind, it made a huge difference)

But I played Boneworks on the same floor as my router completely wirelessly and I had no noticeable lag. I was surprised.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Isometric Bacon posted:

Mesh VR streaming on the quest is utter crap. I picked up a separate 5ghz only router for 30 bux off eBay just for streaming. Now that link is out I prefer that by a mile.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So what am I missing in regards to Index controllers and Beat Saber? I have now three people telling me they need to adjust the X axis by 35+° to "feel comfortable". I've installed SaberTailor and I need to go 5° on X to have it align more correct and that's about it. Going 35° and beyond would have me play the game as T-1000 with sword arms.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

Combat Pretzel posted:

So what am I missing in regards to Index controllers and Beat Saber? I have now three people telling me they need to adjust the X axis by 35+° to "feel comfortable". I've installed SaberTailor and I need to go 5° on X to have it align more correct and that's about it. Going 35° and beyond would have me play the game as T-1000 with sword arms.

It boils down to preference, basically. I've seen a small subset of people that move beyond just slightly adjusting the position to more closely match the feel of the default of another (vive wands, touch controllers, etc). Some people seem to prefer a "wolverine claw" style since it moves the axis of motion for your wrist into something more natural. In theory, this would be better for scoring and potentially longer term play without injury.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Someone posted a picture about it over on Reddit, because I was not getting it, and it's indeed tending towards T-1000 arms for him. That's kind of stupid, because that's not really how you'd hold a straight sword. It makes more sense if you think you're playing the same with laser khukris or something. I'm gripping the controller a few centimeters lower (normal grip, to me, anyways), plus 5°, and the saber lines up with my grip.

That said, I can understand where everyone's coming from, if it's all about highscores. The minute adjustments I did over here allowed me to improve several highscores that I couldn't touch for a while.

--edit: That or I have no idea about swords.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 27, 2019

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

When playing Thrill of the Fight on Quest, my controllers show the right glove flying out of the ring at full speed after a punch

Is this expected behavior or should I look at a warranty replacement? I'm guessing the IMU is mostly ok up until you get into the high G force range and then it's a bit faulty

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I didn't realize it when the SteamVR beta dropped, but changing refresh rate on the fly without resetting is only supported with nVidia cards. Now that I've switched over to a 5700 XT I'm wishing I'd dropped the extra $100 for a 2070 Super just for that feature.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My friend got an Oculus Quest and is asking which gun game he should get between Robo Recall, Superhot VR or Pistol Whip

I have only played Superhot VR so I ask you folks

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

My friend got an Oculus Quest and is asking which gun game he should get between Robo Recall, Superhot VR or Pistol Whip

Hotdogs horsesboes and hand grenades. But if it must be those 3, Superhot

Edit: sorry, you said Quest. Superhot is great. It’s definitely the most physical of the three

Fayez Butts fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 27, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Steve Yun posted:

I'd say Robo Recall if they're looking for straight pew-pew fun, though I admittedly don't know how good a port the Quest version is. SuperHot VR's more of a puzzle game than shooter, and Pistol Whip's a rhythm game.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Hadlock posted:

When playing Thrill of the Fight on Quest, my controllers show the right glove flying out of the ring at full speed after a punch

Is this expected behavior or should I look at a warranty replacement? I'm guessing the IMU is mostly ok up until you get into the high G force range and then it's a bit faulty

My guess is the battery is temporarily losing contact from all the Gs. Ever since i got chunky AA rechargeables it hasn't been a problem, others have used aluminium foil to pad the contacts but that seems iffy.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd say Robo Recall if they're looking for straight pew-pew fun, though I admittedly don't know how good a port the Quest version is.

It's clearly cut down, the lower fidelity assets aren't the problem, they still look pretty good, it's the reduction in effects that remove a lot of the punchiness of the combat. Some reprojection in the later levels too

Otherwise the game is virtually identical to PC, down to the enemy placement and numbers. It's quite impressive.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 27, 2019

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Pylons posted:

If you just want something with minimal setup, there's a wabbajack modlist for Skyrim VR. Requires a lot of space and decent specs though.

Are you referring to the one linked from their GitHub page? I've got the specs, I just don't know where to start. It seems like most of the modlists are from 2017 and out of date.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The Gunslinger posted:

Are you referring to the one linked from their GitHub page? I've got the specs, I just don't know where to start. It seems like most of the modlists are from 2017 and out of date.

No, if you join the wabbajack discord there's one called "Ultimate VR Hybrid" that I use, which is pretty good.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd say Robo Recall if they're looking for straight pew-pew fun, though I admittedly don't know how good a port the Quest version is. SuperHot VR's more of a puzzle game than shooter, and Pistol Whip's a rhythm game.

I just went through a session of the Quest version and it still runs super smooth and looks great. I definitely could see the missing lighting effects and less sharp resolution, but I wouldn't have noticed had I not spent loads of time on the PC version.

Only weird issue is that they've completely removed explosion particle effects, which looks strange when you throw the crawler bots that explode on impact, as enemies and debris flies around with no obvious fireball effect.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Isometric Bacon posted:

Only weird issue is that they've completely removed explosion particle effects, which looks strange when you throw the crawler bots that explode on impact, as enemies and debris flies around with no obvious fireball effect.

Particles add a lot of extra processing that the Quest just doesn't have.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Particles add a lot of extra processing that the Quest just doesn't have.

It's less the particles themselves and more that there is literally no explosion rendered, but you see the results of it. They could swap it out with a animated sprite or something.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Just saw a post about Thrill of the Fight on Reddit where this was brought up and a Dev responded:
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/eflwrc/i_cant_recommend_thrill_of_the_fight_enough/fc1zafw?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

I got a USB 3.1 USB pci-e card and now Link works really well, though it still occasionally disconnects. I can go up to 40ft away with the extension cable I got. After not using any tethered stuff it's definitely a bit of a distraction to manage the cord. Virtual Desktop works for the most part, but there's a noticeable jitter and lower image quality to it now that I've seen the same games using Link but mainly half the games I have don't work with VRD controller emulation.

I really enjoyed I Expect You To Die and just starting out in Ultrawings. I played the SNES and N64 versions of Pilotwings so this has been pretty thrilling.

And thank you to whomever it was who recommended Wolves in the Walls. That was an amazing experience! Same with Face your Fears. Got a great laugh watching a relative go through it as my cat rubbed up against his legs just as a demon child peeked up from the bed in one of the scenes.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

The Gunslinger posted:

Are you playing with mods? I just picked it up in the Steam sale but I'm having a hard time finding a decent mod collection list.

I've been playing a ton of Skyrim with the below mods. I still need to sort out getting SkyUI to work.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is there a recommended accessory for turning touch controllers into a dual beat saber? I want to look like Darth Maul’s idiot cousin.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bardeh posted:

E: I also joined a random person's room in the Oculus hangout thingy as part of the tutorial and all of a sudden there's some woman talking in my ear and someone else poking in my face and I had to exit out because it was way too much.

Get Rec Room and PokerstarsVR. Both are free and are great experiences, well stocked with players and basically evergreen due to the way they work.

If you are impressed by the scale of things (and honestly who isn’t?), other games that do scale very well are Ultrawings and Minecraft VR. Both of them will definitely give you that “holy poo poo I’m way up in the air” feeling.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rolo posted:

Is there a recommended accessory for turning touch controllers into a dual beat saber? I want to look like Darth Maul’s idiot cousin.

Paging Ragesaq

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Rolo posted:

Star wars kid: Sadly, way ahead of his time.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm enjoying Boneworks, but after the initial wow factor of VR wore off, it's kinda frustrating getting its clunky physics to work as you want them to. The pace of the game is actually really slow as you try and figure out the physics puzzles, and it's baffling that they havent implemented any kind of save system, so if I get fed up or have to turn the headset off, I need to start the whole level over. I'm gonna give some of the other games suggested a try I think before I spend more time with it.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I'm still really surprised more games don't utilize natural locomotion

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Can anyone recommend more cool cat drugs games like POLYBIUS? I am thinking of picking up 0°N0°W even though there is only one VR area until sometime in 2020 and Synthesis Universe Episode 00 also looks interesting, despite not really being a game. Already have the obvious Rez. Any trippy VR experience will do. Discovery queue told me I needed to experience a nuclear bomb blast so I am doing that next.

I wishlisted Frequency Garden but when I got home from visiting family, the 50% off sale had ended. drat.

Gonna have to get the Croteam VR bundle too. $15.95 seems like a killer price for those five games.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Rolo posted:

I started this madness by coming up with the Prosaber by using parts from ProtubeVR who now sells it. This is the best entry level way of getting into Maul and the rabbit hole goes much deeper with vive trackers and more LH2 base stations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
My official Oculus Link cable in came today. I didn't realize it needed a USB C port on your PC. Guess I'll shelve it until I build a new PC in the spring, or someone finds a decent adapter.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Professor Wayne posted:

My official Oculus Link cable in came today. I didn't realize it needed a USB C port on your PC. Guess I'll shelve it until I build a new PC in the spring, or someone finds a decent adapter.

That was something that baffled me when I looked at it in the store, which ultimately led me to just buying the Anker cable and an extender.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Also I'm sorry goons but I'm gonna do it.

I'm gonna give Bethesda money and buy Fallout 4 VR. Its 18 bucks. It'll probably be another 5 years before the game finally drops lower then that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Leal posted:

Also I'm sorry goons but I'm gonna do it.

I'm gonna give Bethesda money and buy Fallout 4 VR. Its 18 bucks. It'll probably be another 5 years before the game finally drops lower then that.

skip it, its bad. very bad