Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Leal posted:

Also I'm sorry goons but I'm gonna do it.

I'm gonna give Bethesda money and buy Fallout 4 VR. Its 18 bucks. It'll probably be another 5 years before the game finally drops lower then that.

It's your money and you're an adult so make your own decisions, but it's really not worth it, even free. The original game had some flaws but was fine overall, the VR version can actually make you sick. Just play the flat version if you wanna play the game and a better VR game if you want that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

If the implementation is as bad as Skyrim I wouldn't touch it.

Csolo
Mar 1, 2012

Internet Spess Sheps
Let me start off by saying I got a rift S. I've been thoroughly enjoying boneworks and other top notch vr games, but I want to experience something kind of unique. I want to have "the overview effect". I'm looking at some apps like google earth, space engine and mission:ISS but I don't know which one is worth my time (or money). Maybe you fine gentlemen/ladies could help me find the best thing for me to have this experience.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

Also I'm sorry goons but I'm gonna do it.

I'm gonna give Bethesda money and buy Fallout 4 VR. Its 18 bucks. It'll probably be another 5 years before the game finally drops lower then that.

Although I agree with others who have said it's not a great vr game, if you really love the fallout series you may find that like me you're able to play all the way through, happily dealing with the jank.

Pistols with holosights are the way to go, scopes are weird and never got fixed as far as I know. There are also some optimization and gameplay mods that I'd recommend looking up on nexusmods

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Csolo posted:

Let me start off by saying I got a rift S. I've been thoroughly enjoying boneworks and other top notch vr games, but I want to experience something kind of unique. I want to have "the overview effect". I'm looking at some apps like google earth, space engine and mission:ISS but I don't know which one is worth my time (or money). Maybe you fine gentlemen/ladies could help me find the best thing for me to have this experience.

Google Earth is free and by far the most amazing of those three.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Owlbear Camus posted:

But I'm really enjoying skyrim vr. I've gotten farther in it in VR then I did flatscreen.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah fallout's vr thing is far worse than skyrims IIRC.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Csolo posted:

Moss and Fisherman's Tale are really good for these (if I have what you're going for right).

Csolo
Mar 1, 2012

Internet Spess Sheps

Pylons posted:

Moss and Fisherman's Tale are really good for these (if I have what you're going for right).

"The overview effect is a cognitive shift in awareness reported by some astronauts during spaceflight, often while viewing the Earth from outer space." I'm mostly looking to feel small and feel as if every problem I face in life is nothing compared to what is really out there.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

It's worse, Skyrim VR can actually be made to work with configs and mods

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Csolo posted:

"The overview effect is a cognitive shift in awareness reported by some astronauts during spaceflight, often while viewing the Earth from outer space." I'm mostly looking to feel small and feel as if every problem I face in life is nothing compared to what is really out there.

Oh, my bad.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alright I changed my mind. FOVR doesn't have a VRIK equivalent that lets me see my own body.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Finally got some time to really play boneworks. It definitely is the killer VR app right now, and has a nice almost half-life/portal feel to it as discussed ITT.

I've had a few issues where I'd like, barely close my hand and accidentally grab a wall behind me without realizing, and then I'm like "why am I stuck and can't move?". Definitely feels a little janky, climbing pipes or monkey bars feels pretty good but climbing walls has your body swinging around and bouncing in a weird way that doesn't feel great.

Also, the weight thing... it feels like most objects are basically weightless except for the really really heavy ones. There's no medium weight.

Also, two-handed weapons like the sledgehammer, you can technically one-hand them but your hand just flops around in this extremely weird lifeless unrealistic way like you're playing Gorn and you're drunk. I don't get it. They should just make it so you HAVE to use two hands at that point. I was fully expecting to be able to swing it with one hand, but have it "weigh more" so I'd have to swing it slower and build up more momentum. But nope, its just... jelly arm. If you use two hands it feels loving perfect though, so I can't complain too much.

Happyimp posted:

I brought the index over to the families place. They have been playing super hot for a couple of hours. I kept saying to duck under certain shots, until I was asked which button that was. I just yelled, bend your knees. A collective ohhh was heard.

Shine posted:

Yeah, this is super common. A buddy of mine played Gorn, and was like, "how do I turn around?" and I said, "turn your actual body around!" So he cranked his neck around and was like "that isn't working!" so I said, "turn your feet, step around and face my voice!"

It's an adjustment for some folks, to play a game where decades-long thumbstick actions are replaced with literal actions.

Not just that, but I find that when demoing VR to people for the first time, they often don't even look around. People just aren't trained to think about videogames that way, and if anything have tried to train themselves NOT to do it, like moving your body when playing mario kart even though it doesn't help.

I have to often tell my friends "move your head around! Look around more!" when they're first playing VR. Its kinda weird, but it also makes sense.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Csolo posted:

Space Engine has VR support and is pretty impressive if you can get past the limited controls on the touch controllers

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Csolo posted:

Not exactly the same, but dogfighting in IL-2 is pretty interesting in how you are managing your airplane, the instrument gauges, and in a dogfight the relative position of the enemy planes - your head and eyes are constantly farting around and you are managing all sorts of variables at the same time - with a pretty impressive view to boot.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gonna buy boneworks and h3vr with my Christmas money, pretty stoked :woop:

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

Not exactly the same, but dogfighting in IL-2 is pretty interesting in how you are managing your airplane, the instrument gauges, and in a dogfight the relative position of the enemy planes - your head and eyes are constantly farting around and you are managing all sorts of variables at the same time - with a pretty impressive view to boot.

I just tried House of the Dying Sun for the first time in VR the other day and had a lesser version of this hit me. Being able to physically look around to find targets, look at all meters and bars and UI elements, etc. It's incredible. The sense of scale as you fly past a flag ship or something is just something else.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Csolo posted:

Pick up Lone Echo. That first time you leave the ship... oof, impressive stuff.

But yeah, i mean of the things you list, both google earth and mission:ISS are both free so theres no reason at all to not try them both out. They're both very impressive and well done, though obviously different in scope and intent.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Do it, definitely won't regret either

nurikabe
Jul 16, 2012

Tom Guycot posted:

Pick up Lone Echo. That first time you leave the ship... oof, impressive stuff.

But yeah, i mean of the things you list, both google earth and mission:ISS are both free so theres no reason at all to not try them both out. They're both very impressive and well done, though obviously different in scope and intent.

I still need to finish this game

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

How the voice commands work exactly in Star Trek, for AI? The game says it uses Dr. Watson technology for voice commands, but it never shows a pair of example of orders that work. I tried a few things (like 'scan target!) but never had any feedback of if it was really listening and didn't understand me or what.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

How the voice commands work exactly in Star Trek, for AI? The game says it uses Dr. Watson technology for voice commands, but it never shows a pair of example of orders that work. I tried a few things (like 'scan target!) but never had any feedback of if it was really listening and didn't understand me or what.

The lights flash and beep in response, but its pretty subtle

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

The lights flash and beep in response, but its pretty subtle

The correct answer was: it isn't always listening, you have to activate it with a button first. The button is the same used for normal UI orders, but holding it instead of pressing it. This information came from a comment in a youtube video. Thanks Ubi for explaining it so well. /s

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Taintrunner posted:

your head and eyes are constantly farting around

:gonk:

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I received my official Oculus Quest link cable and tried it out for a little bit. The cable is thicker then I was expecting, I was thinking it would be nice and skinny but its like the standard diameter of a USB extension cable.
When I went through the setup in the Oculus PC app, it said it was complete but my headset was just showing a black screen. I had to unplug and replug the cable for the oculus home to show. Loaded up some NMS and it looked about the same as it did when I use my Samsung Odyssey+ (minus the clearness, I do miss that from my odyssey+). I didn't notice any artifacts or lag using the cable. Also tried Beat Saber for 4 songs and it was sharper then the native Beat Saber, and I didn't notice any artifacts. It also seemed like tracking was better and the controller vibration was stronger then in the native app.

One annoying thing was that I couldn't figure out how to recenter my view in beat saber. I held down the oculus button, and it would bring me to the oculus home saying that if I want to recenter, hit a button. I hit a button and it would return to steam and the view wasn't recentered.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Danith posted:

I received my official Oculus Quest link cable and tried it out for a little bit. The cable is thicker then I was expecting, I was thinking it would be nice and skinny but its like the standard diameter of a USB extension cable.
When I went through the setup in the Oculus PC app, it said it was complete but my headset was just showing a black screen. I had to unplug and replug the cable for the oculus home to show. Loaded up some NMS and it looked about the same as it did when I use my Samsung Odyssey+ (minus the clearness, I do miss that from my odyssey+). I didn't notice any artifacts or lag using the cable. Also tried Beat Saber for 4 songs and it was sharper then the native Beat Saber, and I didn't notice any artifacts. It also seemed like tracking was better and the controller vibration was stronger then in the native app.

One annoying thing was that I couldn't figure out how to recenter my view in beat saber. I held down the oculus button, and it would bring me to the oculus home saying that if I want to recenter, hit a button. I hit a button and it would return to steam and the view wasn't recentered.

Because steamvr don’t have that option. More so on saber. That’s an oculus thing mostly.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

Because steamvr don’t have that option. More so on saber. That’s an oculus thing mostly.

It does, but only in seated modes iirc.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Professor Wayne posted:

I've been playing a ton of Skyrim with the below mods. I still need to sort out getting SkyUI to work.

Do any of these mods add gestures/location-based inventory slots in VR? There's a reason so many VR FPS-type games have converged on that mechanic for weapon/item swap.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

ShadowHawk posted:

Do any of these mods add gestures/location-based inventory slots in VR? There's a reason so many VR FPS-type games have converged on that mechanic for weapon/item swap.

VRIK has both.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
PCGamer said Fallout 4 VR is one of the must-have VR games of the year and now I wish I was dead, which VR surely is now

(this is a joke btw)

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

SCheeseman posted:

It does, but only in seated modes iirc.

Game dependent. Steamvr itself don’t shift your play space.

Like Star Trek does it. But it don’t move your actual steamvr boundaries.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

I replaced my Vive + Wireless with a Vive Pro + Wireless and it seems to have a much narrower place where I need to position the headset to keep it from going out of focus.

This would be fine except it doesn't quite hold its positionhow I want it, though I feel like if I had a VR cover like I did on my original Vive it'd work. But vrcover is now out of stock for Vive Pro faceplates.

Is there another company that offers similar "gym leather" foam replacements?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ShadowHawk posted:

I replaced my Vive + Wireless with a Vive Pro + Wireless and it seems to have a much narrower place where I need to position the headset to keep it from going out of focus.

This would be fine except it doesn't quite hold its positionhow I want it, though I feel like if I had a VR cover like I did on my original Vive it'd work. But vrcover is now out of stock for Vive Pro faceplates.

Is there another company that offers similar "gym leather" foam replacements?

Why can't you use the one from your original Vive?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why can't you use the one from your original Vive?
Comparing it with the foam, it looks like it's an inch narrower. It mostly fits on the face though so it might work for now.

VRCover sells different SKUs for Vive and Vive Pro replacement so I think they are different sizes

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

Game dependent. Steamvr itself don’t shift your play space.

Like Star Trek does it. But it don’t move your actual steamvr boundaries.

It's game dependent, but that dependency is based on whether or not it invokes the seated tracking universe. If it does, SteamVR has control over the player's origin point just like OVR. You used to be able to adjust it by holding a home button for a few seconds and selecting "reset player position" but I think they've moved it to somewhere along the bottom in the SteamVR menu with the recent overhaul.

Some games don't use seated mode when they should and integrate their own calibration routines though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

It's game dependent, but that dependency is based on whether or not it invokes the seated tracking universe. If it does, SteamVR has control over the player's origin point just like OVR. You used to be able to adjust it by holding a home button for a few seconds and selecting "reset player position" but I think they've moved it to somewhere along the bottom in the SteamVR menu with the recent overhaul.

There's a "Reset Seated Position" option in the settings menu.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Aaaaaaaaaand..............unstoked. On both accounts.

Please someone tell me if I'm missing something here, but neither of these games are doing anything for me.

First I tried H3VR, I went to the firing range and took a solid 10 minutes to figure out that walking is a toggle-able action that is not always on. Once I figured out how to move around, I picked up the pistol it gave me, loaded it and fired at the target. Then it came time to reload. The virtual touch controller lights up on the release for the magazine, but it doesnt do anything. I spend another 10 minutes trying to remove the magazine. Finally, after watching a youtube video, reading a reddit thread and then reading a steam thread, I figured out that the action to release the magazine is a thumbstick gesture that can only be done when walking is turned off :psypop: Did I miss a tutorial level somewhere?

OK, I have the basics of guns figured out I think, lets play take and hold. It starts me with a revolver with................one bullet. No sign of other guns. Immediately get killed. Try again. Some breakaway pistol with...................one bullet. Same story. Maybe I'm just getting screwed by the RNG? :iiam:

OK, I'm done with that, lets try Boneworks.

The game seems cool. Its yelling "hey guys remember portal and half life??" a little loud, but I can forgive it because I love those games. Cool, a crowbar! Wow, its way more cumbersome than you would think! It gets stuck on and in everything, I pulled about 20 cabinets over on myself because the crowbar is stuck in them. Either way its cool to smash stuff and I took my time looking at the environment and reading the messages on the walls and whatnot. I make it to the break room, I make the mistake of hitting the table with the crowbar, it clips inside the table and spends a solid 5 minutes slowly vibrating itself to the edge of the table. I guess I'll look around while the table gives birth to a crowbar. OK, the crowbar has finally clipped back out of the table and can be grabbed again. Speaking of grabbing, my hand is getting sore from holding on to this crowbar, I wonder if there is a grab toggle option? Back out to the menu. Nope, doesnt look like it. Continue. Game loads, back at the very first room, instead of actually continuing. 30 minutes down the drain :ssj: I know I could run quickly through it, but the fact that it even does that is mind blowing and I dont have patience for games that waste their players time. THIS is the game people are worried HL:A cant stand up to???

I know these are beloved VR games, but both of them just really annoyed me. I can see how H3VR would be cool if it had anything resembling a reasonable control scheme. Boneworks is fun and frustrating in equal parts and oh, PS, you have to start the last 30 minutes over. I'm strongly considering refunding both. Am I missing some huge thing here?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
h3vr is frustrating as hell to learn the controls IMO, agreed

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Aaaaaaaaaand..............unstoked. On both accounts.

Please someone tell me if I'm missing something here, but neither of these games are doing anything for me.

First I tried H3VR, I went to the firing range and took a solid 10 minutes to figure out that walking is a toggle-able action that is not always on. Once I figured out how to move around, I picked up the pistol it gave me, loaded it and fired at the target. Then it came time to reload. The virtual touch controller lights up on the release for the magazine, but it doesnt do anything. I spend another 10 minutes trying to remove the magazine. Finally, after watching a youtube video, reading a reddit thread and then reading a steam thread, I figured out that the action to release the magazine is a thumbstick gesture that can only be done when walking is turned off :psypop: Did I miss a tutorial level somewhere?

OK, I have the basics of guns figured out I think, lets play take and hold. It starts me with a revolver with................one bullet. No sign of other guns. Immediately get killed. Try again. Some breakaway pistol with...................one bullet. Same story. Maybe I'm just getting screwed by the RNG? :iiam:

OK, I'm done with that, lets try Boneworks.

The Sample Platter is the tutorial level that teaches you the controls. Also if you go to the firing range and pick literally any gun out of the spawner it'll show you controls on how to use them.

As for ammo; Place in quick-slot, press up and click the thumbstick. It now infinitely spawns more from there. You can also stack them by holding one or more bullets and clicking up on the thumbstick over the filled quickslot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The game seems cool. Its yelling "hey guys remember portal and half life??" a little loud, but I can forgive it because I love those games. Cool, a crowbar! Wow, its way more cumbersome than you would think! It gets stuck on and in everything, I pulled about 20 cabinets over on myself because the crowbar is stuck in them. Either way its cool to smash stuff and I took my time looking at the environment and reading the messages on the walls and whatnot. I make it to the break room, I make the mistake of hitting the table with the crowbar, it clips inside the table and spends a solid 5 minutes slowly vibrating itself to the edge of the table. I guess I'll look around while the table gives birth to a crowbar. OK, the crowbar has finally clipped back out of the table and can be grabbed again. Speaking of grabbing, my hand is getting sore from holding on to this crowbar, I wonder if there is a grab toggle option? Back out to the menu. Nope, doesnt look like it. Continue. Game loads, back at the very first room, instead of actually continuing. 30 minutes down the drain :ssj: I know I could run quickly through it, but the fact that it even does that is mind blowing and I dont have patience for games that waste their players time. THIS is the game people are worried HL:A cant stand up to???
There is some physics jank but it starts feeling a lot better once you become more mindful of your virtual body, it's appendages and get accustomed to the miming of momentum required in order to swing objects effectively. There's no toggle grab for melee weapons, projectile weapons are toggle grab but even with the Vive wands this becomes much less of an issue once the game explains inventory management. You want your hands to be free most of the time and only use tools when you actually need them or they'll collide with everything and even affect your body's momentum and center of mass.

They're patching in save games but they should have been there since launch, agreed.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 28, 2019