Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
OK, I'm bad with names and can't remember the details, but from the book, was the mage who killed all those girls justified? In the show it was proven that the girls (at least the one we saw) were indeed mutated, but was it for certain that they were going to end the world or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I just re-installed Witcher 2. According to steam I had 14 minutes in the game. I played it directly after Witcher 1 and I rage quit at the controls and never went back to it. Witcher 1 I loved but god it was a buggy game play mess and I guess after forcing myself through it I had zero tolerance for Witcher 2 even though the controls were a little better. I finished Witcher 3 and its DLCs twice and heard that Witcher 2 has had good patches so I've started again on the enhanced edition. Only just finished the prologue and it is so much better. Not as good as Witcher 3 controls, but far better. The combat will still take some getting used to ... it seems far more strategic and the fact you can't heal during combat seems to really make preparation a bigger deal which I like.

Are there any must have mods for W2 though? I'm also normally a K+M guy, but on rare occasions controller seems to work better (like Dark Souls) - is that the case with W2 or mostly personal preference?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Canuckistan posted:

OK, I'm bad with names and can't remember the details, but from the book, was the mage who killed all those girls justified? In the show it was proven that the girls (at least the one we saw) were indeed mutated, but was it for certain that they were going to end the world or whatever?

We never find out the truth.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Turin Turambar posted:

It's a way to 'nerf' the mages and not be super powerful in the series, avoiding use of f/x and to explain why they can be beaten with smaller armies. To be honest, the video games also nerf them, for different reasons: they would be too much as enemies.
In the books they are more the type of wizards of 'turn anyone I don't like into hens with a touch of my wand' or 'summon giant block of ice to encase someone in it in 0.2 seconds'. Very powerful.

That sounds like a good idea when you say it like that, but the mage rules are inconsistent. They shouldn't have been explained at all like the Witcher powers.

Mages need a catalyst or it fucks them up like the girl without the flower at magic school. Yet, catalysts aren't ever seen or used after that scene. Everyone casts spells at a whim. The mage barricading the door, Tris turning girls into eels, the guy making infinite swords. The exception is Yen with her untraceable portal, but it's explicitly stated that the flower just makes it untraceable. She can cast portals just fine without it.

So, there's zero fucks given to the show's own rule that something has to be sacrificed to maintain balance in the 'chaos'. Maybe that's why they changed the mage ascension to include neutering? Maybe that provides infinite chaos. ...except for when they run out of chaos anyway because the show also treats it like mana.

And why does making a fireball turn you into dust, but Yen can be a human flamethrower and presumably survive? Maybe they surpassed their power, but then again Yen was also tired. I don't know. I've already put way more thought into this than the people who came up with magic school, and I'm gonna drop this line of thought because it's a dumb subplot in an otherwise good show.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Late ep 7 This is probably the dumbest ting I’ve ever seen Yennefer do. Teach kids how to make drugs and take them to scary lightning pool? The gently caress, Yen?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

thepokey posted:

I just re-installed Witcher 2. According to steam I had 14 minutes in the game. I played it directly after Witcher 1 and I rage quit at the controls and never went back to it. Witcher 1 I loved but god it was a buggy game play mess and I guess after forcing myself through it I had zero tolerance for Witcher 2 even though the controls were a little better. I finished Witcher 3 and its DLCs twice and heard that Witcher 2 has had good patches so I've started again on the enhanced edition. Only just finished the prologue and it is so much better. Not as good as Witcher 3 controls, but far better. The combat will still take some getting used to ... it seems far more strategic and the fact you can't heal during combat seems to really make preparation a bigger deal which I like.

Are there any must have mods for W2 though? I'm also normally a K+M guy, but on rare occasions controller seems to work better (like Dark Souls) - is that the case with W2 or mostly personal preference?

Yeah I would play W2 and W3 on controller. It's very hard to go back to WASD when third person control is so important.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Late ep 7 This is probably the dumbest ting I’ve ever seen Yennefer do. Teach kids how to make drugs and take them to scary lightning pool? The gently caress, Yen?

Did you already forget her plans in the previous 2 episodes?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Donnerberg posted:

That sounds like a good idea when you say it like that, but the mage rules are inconsistent. They shouldn't have been explained at all like the Witcher powers.

Mages need a catalyst or it fucks them up like the girl without the flower at magic school. Yet, catalysts aren't ever seen or used after that scene. Everyone casts spells at a whim. The mage barricading the door, Tris turning girls into eels, the guy making infinite swords. The exception is Yen with her untraceable portal, but it's explicitly stated that the flower just makes it untraceable. She can cast portals just fine without it.

So, there's zero fucks given to the show's own rule that something has to be sacrificed to maintain balance in the 'chaos'. Maybe that's why they changed the mage ascension to include neutering? Maybe that provides infinite chaos. ...except for when they run out of chaos anyway because the show also treats it like mana.

And why does making a fireball turn you into dust, but Yen can be a human flamethrower and presumably survive? Maybe they surpassed their power, but then again Yen was also tired. I don't know. I've already put way more thought into this than the people who came up with magic school, and I'm gonna drop this line of thought because it's a dumb subplot in an otherwise good show.

You must have completely missed the part where she wasn't summoning fire using her own life-force like the Nilfgaardian mages, she was pulling the fire out of Sodden and redirecting it. Just like the lightning in a bottle lesson.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah I would play W2 and W3 on controller. It's very hard to go back to WASD when third person control is so important.

That's sort of what throws me off is I tried W3 on controller and far preferred it on K+M. But don't currently have a controller to test out W2 on so maybe worth grabbing a cheap ebay one or something to test I guess

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Daric posted:

You must have completely missed the part where she wasn't summoning fire using her own life-force like the Nilfgaardian mages, she was pulling the fire out of Sodden and redirecting it. Just like the lightning in a bottle lesson.

Okay, I had that wrong. I barely remember the final episode. It didn't have enough Geralt or Jaskier.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Daric posted:

What about Ep6 when Yen freezes time / the people around her and then waltzes into the cave with the green dragon?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Canuckistan posted:

It's very ambiguous. Stregobor feels he is justified because some of the kids were problematic and when he dissected them they were all mutated. Geralt suggests that the reason they did the things they did was because people treated them like poo poo because of the prophecy and they were basically living up to the expectation everybody forced on them due to superstition. Renfri is literally Snow White if you didn't catch it. So some of the stuff her stepmother said she did might have been made up because she's an evil stepmother. She also might have been acting up due to an unstable home life with a stepmother who didn't like her.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

CJ posted:

It's very ambiguous. Stregobor feels he is justified because some of the kids were problematic and when he dissected them they were all mutated. Geralt suggests that the reason they did the things they did was because people treated them like poo poo because of the prophecy and they were basically living up to the expectation everybody forced on them due to superstition. Renfri is literally Snow White if you didn't catch it. So some of the stuff her stepmother said she did might have been made up because she's an evil stepmother. She also might have been acting up due to an unstable home life with a stepmother who didn't like her.

I thought the girls Stregobor killed had the same curse as Ciri, so they'd all have that weird power she has, and might be destined to destroy the world? I dunno, I haven't read any of the books or played the games, but I thought that was spelled out in the show.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Phenotype posted:

I thought the girls Stregobor killed had the same curse as Ciri, so they'd all have that weird power she has, and might be destined to destroy the world? I dunno, I haven't read any of the books or played the games, but I thought that was spelled out in the show.

I read it a couple of years ago so i might be forgetting that bit, but Ciri is born way later. In the show Renfri mentions she's about the same age as Calanthe.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Sab669 posted:

What about Ep6 when Yen freezes time / the people around her and then waltzes into the cave with the green dragon?

What about it? It's not like every spell requires the mage to kill themselves.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CJ posted:

I read it a couple of years ago so i might be forgetting that bit, but Ciri is born way later. In the show Renfri mentions she's about the same age as Calanthe.

Yeah, Ciri's got a whole different confluence of weird circumstance surrounding her birth.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

canepazzo posted:

What about it? It's not like every spell requires the mage to kill themselves.

Lifting a rock kills a flower, but that costs nothing?

I enjoyed the show but I always have such a hard time with powerful but ambiguous magic.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

CJ posted:

Yeah, I thought Calanthe was one of the curse babies that Stregobor didn't kill, and Ciri is manifesting the powers as her granddaughter.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Sab669 posted:

I enjoyed the show but I always have such a hard time with powerful but ambiguous magic.

Here's my take on the magic thing: strong magic comes at a cost, and as a mage you decide what that cost is. The rock/flower was just a demonstration. A mage could simply become exhausted from casting magic and need to rest for a bit. I think this is even in the books and games (like when Triss gets a bloody nose and passes out from casting butterfly shield). People are taking the magic sacrifice stuff too literally. The Nilfgaardian mages were likely sacrificing their lives for their spells because 1. They were expendable and 2. That was the only way to ensure those spells had the maximum performance required.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, I thought Calanthe was one of the curse babies that Stregobor didn't kill, and Ciri is manifesting the powers as her granddaughter.

I think in the show Calanthe says that her daughter has the same power as her mother. It is unrelated. Check a wiki on Ciri if you don't care about spoilers.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

My take was that the mages didn't necessarily die from casting the spell, only if they weren't "strong enough" - which none of them were. It's possible that they each believed that they were strong enough to cast the spell without destroying themselves.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Sab669 posted:

If wizarding school is anything like regular school, your initial lessons are less the truth and more a way to set you on the path to the truth. So like, an inexperienced mage needs a specific object to draw from, while a master can cast a wider net that subtly draws a little from multiple sources. They might also just have learned to draw power from their own body like muscles do, so instead of eating away anything permanent they're just eating away at blood sugar and stored fat. That's before considering more efficient uses of power, like redirecting existing effects rather than creating them from scratch - such as Yen taking an existing blaze and directing it towards her enemies instead of creating it out of nothing.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Pollyanna posted:

I've only played the games but I thought that was the most like the Yennefer from Witcher 3 she was the whole season, I liked it. Not sold on the actress yet but I realize her story in this season takes place over a pretty long time period and the games take place a decent amount of time after that too so it makes sense she's not that person yet, but is starting to get there. Her scenes with Geralt are pretty good too.

I actually really liked the actress playing Triss, she might not look exactly like the Triss in people's heads but I thought she has that character's mannerisms, way of speaking and personality down perfectly. She seemed more like Triss to me than Yennefer seemed like Yennefer.

Surprised to hear Ciri's actress is already 18. Unless there was a lot of perspective tricks I wouldn't be surprised if they plan on recasting her at some point, because she's tiny. There could've been though, she looks way younger when she's wandering around in the forest than she did at the ball where there were wide shots of her dancing.

Cavill nails Geralt. My biggest complaint, especially about the last two episodes, is there wasn't enough Geralt.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sab669 posted:

That was a training exercise for novices.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Changes to the magic are dumb, I wanna see cheese magic already for fucks sake

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Phi230 posted:

Changes to the magic are dumb, I wanna see cheese magic already for fucks sake

Or lesbomancy! (Seriously ya'll, loving play Witcher 2. The dwarves are awesome)

Speaking of Dwarves, I really liked Yarpen in the show. I thought he was a good dude.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Surprised to hear Ciri's actress is already 18. Unless there was a lot of perspective tricks I wouldn't be surprised if they plan on recasting her at some point, because she's tiny. There could've been though, she looks way younger when she's wandering around in the forest than she did at the ball where there were wide shots of her dancing.

I think they cast a petite 18yo in order to avoid having to recast Ciri as she ages. If they had cast an actual 12yo, they would probably need to either highly alter the Rats storyline later or recast the actress.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Finished the show. It was generally good, it peaked in the middle for me. The last one or two episodes were merely okay, I wasn't swept up into them like I was Mando's ending. (That said, it's almost unfair to compare this to Mando.) I really wish we had gotten to see Geralt and Ciri together more at the end, ep 8 spent a stupid amount of time on this dumb mage war with nothing but assholes on both sides. I did not give a gently caress what happened to any of the mages, and that's bad.

For a show called The Witcher, the titular Witcher wasn't in it much.

I don't like Yen or Triss so I voted Goku.

hobbesmaster posted:

Did you already forget her plans in the previous 2 episodes?

Almost 100% yes :downs: A lot of this show bounced off of me. Maybe I just need to play the games.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So this probably should be said: while the show is called "The Witcher" and the books are collectively known as "The Witcher Saga", Geralt is not the main character. He's hardly even the main character in the games, it only seems that way because you play as him. Geralt is basically a vehicle to see a bunch of cool and hosed up fantasy poo poo, and becomes more and more sidelined by Ciri both in the books and in the Witcher 3. I think it's an awesome move from a storytelling perspective, but it also gets people really confused when they don't see nearly as much of him as they expect, or are surprised that two unknown actresses get just as much screen time as Superman.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

chaosapiant posted:

So this probably should be said: while the show is called "The Witcher" and the books are collectively known as "The Witcher Saga", Geralt is not the main character. He's hardly even the main character in the games, it only seems that way because you play as him. Geralt is basically a vehicle to see a bunch of cool and hosed up fantasy poo poo, and becomes more and more sidelined by Ciri both in the books and in the Witcher 3. I think it's an awesome move from a storytelling perspective, but it also gets people really confused when they don't see nearly as much of him as they expect, or are surprised that two unknown actresses get just as much screen time as Superman.

Well Ciri and Yen aren't even in the first two games so saying Geralt's not the main character of those is a bit disingenuous, but I'm probably going to directly contradict that with my next point; being an adaptation I don't think it's unreasonable to express disappointment that the best adapted character doesn't have a lot of screen time in the final two episodes.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Well Ciri and Yen aren't even in the first two games so saying Geralt's not the main character of those is a bit disingenuous, but I'm probably going to directly contradict that with my next point; being an adaptation I don't think it's unreasonable to express disappointment that the best adapted character doesn't have a lot of screen time in the final two episodes.

When I say the main character in the games, I'm looking at the "big picture" of the story. Geralt isn't a Commander Shepard who's driving the action. He's a proficient pest exterminator that keeps getting swept up in poo poo. He's absolutely not the driving force in either Witcher 2 or 3. Witcher 1 I think is debatable, but 2 is entirely political, and 3 is almost entirely about Ciri, while you constantly just try to catch up to her.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Well doesn't Yenn teleport the first time while holding a daisy? Then Istredd eats a flower before his teleport spell in front of Yenn - hence why during the rock levitation she eats her daisy. Tessaia sees that and gives her the "daisies are daises idiot" speech.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Well doesn't Yenn teleport the first time while holding a daisy? Then Istredd eats a flower before his teleport spell in front of Yenn - hence why during the rock levitation she eats her daisy. Tessaia sees that and gives her the "daisies are daises idiot" speech.
She actually turned her tormentors into dust when she did the teleport, that's why no one was going around talking about her being a witch who could teleport when she got back.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

mfny posted:

Started watching this..

Anyone else having an issue with dialog being hard to decipher sometimes ? Seems muddy for some reason..

poo poo like this is why I call the stuff my parents watch “mumble movies”.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

chaosapiant posted:

When I say the main character in the games, I'm looking at the "big picture" of the story. Geralt isn't a Commander Shepard who's driving the action. He's a proficient pest exterminator that keeps getting swept up in poo poo. He's absolutely not the driving force in either Witcher 2 or 3. Witcher 1 I think is debatable, but 2 is entirely political, and 3 is almost entirely about Ciri, while you constantly just try to catch up to her.

This doesn't seem like a very coherent line of thought to me.You make the distinction between driving force and main character right in your post. By your reasoning the main character of Mass Effect would be the reapers, not Shepard. Someone mentioned Raiders of the Lost Ark earlier. The main character of that is definitely Indiana Jones, not the Ark, despite the fact that the end result would've probably been the same even if he wasn't in the story at all. In Witcher 2 I always saw the driving force as being figuring out Letho's motives and the politics were an obstacle Geralt has to overcome to do this. I agree Ciri is the protagonist of the third one but even then the story is as much about her relationship with Geralt as it is about destiny.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Tythas posted:

Cavill said in an interview that he would wear the armour everyday no matter what he was doing, he even slept in it to make it look worn

Do you remember what interview it was? Pretty cool if Cavill came up with the idea.

:tipshat:

itry fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 27, 2019

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

2 has maximum VERNON ROCHE so it's mandatory imo. He also can deliver a good ol "gently caress!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXf2V2xNXCw

Also Letho is cool and good and my friend.

Holy poo poo that cutscene is great

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

itry posted:

Do you remember what interview it was? Pretty cool if Cavill came up with the idea.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/12/12/20995768/the-witcher-netflix-season-1-geralt-costume-swords-monsters-set

quote:

Cavill took the lived-in practicality of his costume to the next level; Hissrich even caught her star making breakfast and occasionally sleeping in his armor to imbue the costume with a sense of bespoke history

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I took that to mean that sometimes there isn't any more meaning behind something than what you see, as well as a thing to say not everything is special

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I bet Cavill just didn't want to take the costume off, he seems like a nerd. Just one with huge muscles and dazzlingly good looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

davidspackage posted:

I bet Cavill just didn't want to take the costume off, he seems like a nerd. Just one with huge muscles and dazzlingly good looks.

Theres a reddit campaign to get Cavill to stream a witcher 3 play through. Just imagine if he had the costume.