Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Well that was incredible until suddenly it wasnt

Good game anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Triarii posted:

And to be even more technically correct, shouldn't each of your loops start with you standing in front of the statue, since that's where/when your memories are being sent back in time? That would of course be much worse than waking up beneath the stars so I'm glad they didn't do that.
The way the mechanism is explained accounts for that. You memories aren't sent back to when you were in front of the statue, they're being sent back to right before the probe was sent, which is of course when you woke up. That's when the ash twin project has been set up to send everything including the data for firing the cannon, 22 minutes before the supernova. The moment you were in front of the statue is the later moment when the probe finds the Eye and triggers the statues' auto-bind-to-whoever-is-closest. Of course that doesn't account for the time spent in tutorial but something's gotta give.

After I was checking if the tutorial would actually stall the supernova, I went to check up on Gabbro and amusingly and logically enough, he's got special dialogue for the first two loops, first freaking out about the statue looking at him and, after the reboot, over dying. I love those little details.

Chev fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 18, 2019

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Chev posted:

The way the mechanism is explained accounts for that. You memories aren't sent back to when you were in front of the statue, they're being sent back to right before the probe was sent, which is of course when you woke up. That's when the ash twin project has been set up to send everything including the data for firing the cannon, 22 minutes before the supernova. The moment you were in front of the statue is the later moment when the probe finds the Eye and triggers the statues' auto-bind-to-whoever-is-closest. Of course that doesn't account for the time spent in tutorial but something's gotta give.

After I was checking if the tutorial would actually stall the supernova, I went to check up on Gabbro and amusingly and logically enough, he's got special dialogue for the first two loops, first freaking out about the statue looking at him and, after the reboot, over dying. I love those little details.

Oh wow. Kind of silly/obvious to me now but it never occurred to me til I read your post that he's seen exactly as many as loops and deaths as you have. No more, no less. Duh :doh:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I picked this game up on EGS since there's a sale on and I didn't like using the gamepad on xbox. I binged through it in 14 hours and it was great. I really love exploring and finding information about game worlds. This one is just small enough that it doesn't eventually become a slog. The very end was a bit tedious because I kept realizing I should have done something earlier and had to start over. Other than that, I had a great time. Kind of wish EGS had achievements so I could know if I was missing doing anything, but oh well. When it comes out on steam, maybe I'll buy it again to give these people more money. This game is so good. I'm also glad I made it through without looking anything up. I technically looked up how to get to one place, but I had already done it but didn't know how I did it, and waiting a few minutes for each try seemed like a waste of my time.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Ok this is my favourite game in ages, but I think I may have a bug which is stopping me finishing the game. MASSIVE ENDGAME SPOILERS BELOW

I'm pretty sure I'm working toward the end of the game - I've used the warp core to power the vessel, and used the coordinates to get to the Eye of the Universe. The issue is, when I try and head south on the Eye of the Universe, I'll randomly get a message that I've broken spacetime, and the game will end. I can then reload a save and it puts me back on the vessel, where I can teleport to the Eye again.

Am I doing something wrong? I've tried going slowly, going quickly, using my flashlight, nothing works. I've gotten as far as a kind of crater, but it ends shortly after I step into it. Any help would be much appreciated, I've absolutely adored this game and would hate to have to look up the ending on YouTube.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

HampHamp posted:

Ok this is my favourite game in ages, but I think I may have a bug which is stopping me finishing the game. MASSIVE ENDGAME SPOILERS BELOW

I'm pretty sure I'm working toward the end of the game - I've used the warp core to power the vessel, and used the coordinates to get to the Eye of the Universe. The issue is, when I try and head south on the Eye of the Universe, I'll randomly get a message that I've broken spacetime, and the game will end. I can then reload a save and it puts me back on the vessel, where I can teleport to the Eye again.

Am I doing something wrong? I've tried going slowly, going quickly, using my flashlight, nothing works. I've gotten as far as a kind of crater, but it ends shortly after I step into it. Any help would be much appreciated, I've absolutely adored this game and would hate to have to look up the ending on YouTube.

That sounds like it might be a bug. I'm guessing that message pops up when two of the same object appear at the same time and maybe it's just a generic thing that looks for that condition for it to pop up. And maybe you're accidentally doing that thing, or there's a bug causing that to happen. You might want to contact them about it.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

HampHamp posted:

It's definitely a bug. There's one thing I can think of that would explain it - have you jumped through the black hole at the center of the ash twin before? If so, the game is erroneously trying to trigger a joke ending. If not... Idk. Either it's a glitch.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

That sounds like it might be a bug. I'm guessing that message pops up when two of the same object appear at the same time and maybe it's just a generic thing that looks for that condition for it to pop up. And maybe you're accidentally doing that thing, or there's a bug causing that to happen. You might want to contact them about it.

I just remembered something (MASSIVE ENDGAME SPOILERS AGAIN)

all this has come together for me in the last few hours, and one of the things I accidentally did was enter the black hole at the ash twin core, when the sun went supernova. That was on the loop before the one I'm currently on.

When I went to grab the core in the current loop, I was able to talk to myself in the ash twin core. I skipped through the dialogue fast, as I was excited that i had finally figured out exactly what I needed to do to finish the game, but is there a chance that this is messing with things? I'm not actually sure if I can do anything about it now, as my only option from the title screen is to load the last save, which puts me back in the vessel, near the Eye of the Universe.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I can see what could've gone wrong. Your approach to that zone is fine, your problem lies in your past deeds. Did you throw yourself in the ash twin black hole and observe your double in the ash twin project when you went to fetch the core? If you did, then causality and spacetime along with it will be broken unless you throw yourself into the black hole again. Don't mess with time paradoxes!

I think you can fix it by throwing yourself into the ash twin black hole to ensure causality for this loop and then not going the the ash twin project at all for the next so your double won't be observed and thus won't exist as far as the local quantum reality goes. Go do some fun stuff, meditate even (learn it from Gabbro if you haven't), and if you do loop instead of breaking spacetime then that'll have been fixed, otherwise you need to start a new game cause you broke this one with black hole funsies.

If you haven't played with the ash twin black hole, then you have done some other thing where a loop must be closed but I can't fathom what that could be. It can probably also be fixed by just directly meditating to the end of the loop instead of doing anything of note and only then trying for the Eye in the next one.

EDIT: looks like I'm spot on. Can't resist holes, eh?

Chev fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 26, 2019

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Haha cheers guys yeah that seems like the issue. I'll have a play around and see if I can end this loop and fix all my inadvertent spacetime fuckery.

Game owns

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That is amazing but if you can’t get your save back, you can still basically get back to where you were on a brand new save in 22 minutes because outer wilds is extremely good

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Well, almost. There's actually a couple bits of state that carry that are more relevant than they seem. Big ending spoiler: how many travelers you met, Solanum included, affects your ending, so if you want the best one you'll probably need a couple loops. Plus as mentioned earlier the first couple loops are special for Gabbro so you can't get the meditation option until at least the third one, maybe even a bit later..

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

You lose 0 progress for ripping the fabric of spacetime. It just kicks you to the main menu

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Nihilarian posted:

You lose 0 progress for ripping the fabric of spacetime. It just kicks you to the main menu

The problem is I think he already did a thing you can't really go back from, or at least I don't know if you can go back from it. He's at the very end of the game.

Also, you unlock resting at fires after dying twice. Die twice quickly, and you can rest at fires until you're able to learn meditation.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Ok, it kicks you back to the main menu, and when you boot it back up, your spacetime ripping buddy doesn't exist

you still lose no progress. I experimented.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

Nihilarian posted:

Ok, it kicks you back to the main menu, and when you boot it back up, your spacetime ripping buddy doesn't exist

you still lose no progress. I experimented.

nah that doesn't work for me. I've just tried again, and I don't have the option to meditate until the end of the loop, there's nothing I can really do. I die on the Eye, the save puts me back on the vessel, no way out. It's happened 4 or 5 times in a row now, so my buddy doesn't seem to ever leave.

Not sure what to do from here!

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
As I said earlier, there should be two steps to get out of your current predicament:

First, you need to end your current loop by going through the ash twin black hole, same thing that got you in the paradox in the first place. This will allow you to move to the next loop.

Second, in that next loop, whatever you do, don't enter the ash twin project, at all. Not the black hole, the project, the whole room. Until the sun explodes in this loop, do something else. Anything will do. Just stay out. This will steer you out of the paradox.

It's not actually about meditating, it's about not seeing your double at all for a whole loop. If you see him, you've gotta go through the black hole. Meditating's just the fastest way to end a loop, but if you never learned it, just do something else. I'm sure there's still some stuff you can do to kill time for the duration of a loop. Including finding out how to learn meditation.

If, and only if, your current save (and really, the save, not just where you're put back after your failed ending) puts you back on the vessel after the warp and there is no way to warp back (I honestly don't know about that one because, obviously, I didn't ruin the fabric of spacetime right before my voyage to the eye and for that matter I didn't even know loading a save can put you somewhere else than the starting campfire) or there is no time to return to the ash twin black hole then you may have found the one unwinnable save state of the whole game but others seem to have experienced that specific ending variant and come back on track just fine, so there should be an out.

Chev fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Dec 26, 2019

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

Chev posted:

As I said earlier, there should be two steps to get out of your current predicament:

First, you need to end your current loop by going through the ash twin black hole, same thing that got you in the paradox in the first place. This will allow you to move to the next loop.

Second, in that next loop, whatever you do, don't enter the ash twin project, at all. Not the black hole, the project, the whole room. Until the sun explodes in this loop, do something else. Anything will do. Just stay out. This will steer you out of the paradox.

It's not actually about meditating, it's about not seeing your double at all for a whole loop. If you see him, you've gotta go through the black hole. Meditating's just the fastest way to end a loop, but if you never learned it, just do something else. I'm sure there's still some stuff you can do to kill time for the duration of a loop. Including finding out how to learn meditation.

If, and only if, your current save puts you back on the vessel after the warp and there is no way to warp back (I honestly don't know about that one because, obviously, I didn't ruin the fabric of spacetime right before my voyage to the eye) or there is no time to return to the ash twin black hole then you may have found the one unwinnable state of the whole game but others seem to have experienced that specific ending variant and come back on track just fine, so there should be an out.

yeah unfortunately that's exactly what happens - the save puts me back on the vessel, in orbit around the Eye, no way back. After around 2 minutes, game over. I've tried running as fast as I can to the south pole, I can juuuuuust barely begin falling toward the Eye from that crater before I get a game over. I've emailed the dev, but I think I'll have to restart. At least I know what to do now so it shouldn't take too long, but my ship log may have to forever remain unfinished.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Word to the wise, it's worth at least redoing some of your ship log before going back there. To be specific, everything that involves someone you can talk to outside of the starting planet. Don't forget anyone!

It's not mandatory, but you'll be happy you did.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It seems like they didn’t anticipate this rare edge case when they patched in this new ending.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
To be fair that's like the only case I've heard of where the game saves at a point that's not the start of a loop. Didn't even know it can do that.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

Chev posted:

Word to the wise, it's worth at least redoing some of your ship log before going back there. To be specific, everything that involves someone you can talk to outside of the starting planet. Don't forget anyone!

It's not mandatory, but you'll be happy you did.

Thanks for this, I had to restart and finished it again this morning. Ending spoilers - I'm guessing the entire last section with the campfire would have been missing all the characters I didn't interact with? I made sure to get them all before finishing, thought the ending was excellent.

Definite GOTY for me, even with the save issue. What an incredible experience.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

based on the speedrun it looks like everyone in the ending will be there even if you didn't talk to them with the one exception of solanum

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
You need to find everyone, Solanum included, to get the full post-credit picture.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Quick question - I'm playing on PC with DS4, and I know from having seen a small bit of a playthrough on youtube a while back that the ship log is supposed to have another mode other than the map for you to look at rumors and stuff, but there are no prompts with either DS4 or mouse+keyboard controls and the controls I looked up in the settings menu don't switch modes. Did I somehow miss unlocking it, or is something just being screwy?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Have you found any rumors yet? It should show you that screen automatically when you unlock new ones and go look at the computer.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Zack Ater posted:

Quick question - I'm playing on PC with DS4, and I know from having seen a small bit of a playthrough on youtube a while back that the ship log is supposed to have another mode other than the map for you to look at rumors and stuff, but there are no prompts with either DS4 or mouse+keyboard controls and the controls I looked up in the settings menu don't switch modes. Did I somehow miss unlocking it, or is something just being screwy?

There should automatically be a button that allows you to switch between modes, with a prompt like "press Y for rumor mode." If not, it might be a bug?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you can't figure it out, it's Z on the keyboard at least.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Have you found any rumors yet? It should show you that screen automatically when you unlock new ones and go look at the computer.

I imaging I have. I talked to everyone and read all the stuff in the village, I've been to every planet and explored a fair bit, I've even been to the quantum moon. The map mode of the log has plenty of information in it; are rumors a separate thing that I've managed to completely miss? :v:

youcallthatatwist posted:

There should automatically be a button that allows you to switch between modes, with a prompt like "press Y for rumor mode." If not, it might be a bug?

Yeah I looked up a picture of it, and my map screen is just missing that prompt. I have Leave Ship Log in the corner and View Entries at the bottom, but no other prompts. According to the settings, the keybind to switch is triangle or Z, but neither do anything.

I did try to google it before asking here, but most of the results of anything I put in about the ship log were "here's the fully filled out log!" type stuff, I couldn't find anything relevant to my problem.

Thanks anyway!

Telum fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 27, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I just started a new game, go the codes and got into the ship and was able to press Z to get to the rumors page. Have you tried loading the game up without your PS4 controller on to see if that's causing an issue?

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

I just started a new game, go the codes and got into the ship and was able to press Z to get to the rumors page. Have you tried loading the game up without your PS4 controller on to see if that's causing an issue?

I had not, but I just did, and there's still no prompt, nor does pressing Z do anything.

E: as a completed unrelated aside, I just want to complain that the autopilot has it out for me :argh:

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
if any fatalities occur you can complain to the guy who made the autopilot. It's not like he'll listen, though.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Got back into the game and explored Dark Bramble Getting to the Vessel was tough, due to those three anglerfish that are RIGHT in front of you when you enter that seed! Having to go back to the escape pod, then shoot your scouter into the grave, and THEN follow the copy every time you got eaten was a bit annoying. I basically got past those three fish by pure luck. But, all the stuff you discover there is very cool. Looks like I need to get a new warp core to the Vessel. I also found the way to get into the Giant's Deep core, I've never seen these jellyfish things before this though.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
There's a way to keep the anglerfish from trying to eat you.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

There's a way to keep the anglerfish from trying to eat you.

I know you need to go really slowly because they're blind but can hear your thrusters. My issue there was that I was basically running into the anglerfish as soon as I got into that seed, and I couldn't turn away because doing so meant using thrust and at that close distance even using a little would get their attention.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Got back into the game and explored Dark Bramble Getting to the Vessel was tough, due to those three anglerfish that are RIGHT in front of you when you enter that seed! Having to go back to the escape pod, then shoot your scouter into the grave, and THEN follow the copy every time you got eaten was a bit annoying. I basically got past those three fish by pure luck. But, all the stuff you discover there is very cool. Looks like I need to get a new warp core to the Vessel. I also found the way to get into the Giant's Deep core, I've never seen these jellyfish things before this though.

It looks like you haven't finished the game yet so I'll give you a quick tip. Since you've already been through the bramble and found the ship and you've figured out you need to go back eventually, I'll help you with an easier way to get there. When you get into the bramble, head straight for the red glow. The only fish you really need to worry about is the first one, but not really even that one if you're patient. The fish only react to sounds, so if you don't thrust, they don't move. I also think you can just float right through them, or at least right through their teeth. Make your way to the red glow seed and then really thrust into it. When you get through, don't do anything, don't thrust. You can rotate around, but don't do anything to alter your course. You will slowly float past the fish and towards what I am guessing is their eggs or whatever. When you reach the eggs, you are safe to thrust. I don't know if you always have the same orientation when you enter the red glow part, but when you get to the eggs, look up and head to the white glow you see. That's the ship. You're safe to thrust as much as you want until you get to the ship. It's not tough or scary, it just takes time.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I know you need to go really slowly because they're blind but can hear your thrusters. My issue there was that I was basically running into the anglerfish as soon as I got into that seed, and I couldn't turn away because doing so meant using thrust and at that close distance even using a little would get their attention.

It's not "go really slow" it's "don't use thrusters at all". When you enter the red room with the egg sac, put your controller down and do not touch the analog sticks until you are at the egg sac. After that course correct to the vessel.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Impatience is what kills everyone there.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

It looks like you haven't finished the game yet so I'll give you a quick tip. Since you've already been through the bramble and found the ship and you've figured out you need to go back eventually, I'll help you with an easier way to get there. When you get into the bramble, head straight for the red glow. The only fish you really need to worry about is the first one, but not really even that one if you're patient. The fish only react to sounds, so if you don't thrust, they don't move. I also think you can just float right through them, or at least right through their teeth. Make your way to the red glow seed and then really thrust into it. When you get through, don't do anything, don't thrust. You can rotate around, but don't do anything to alter your course. You will slowly float past the fish and towards what I am guessing is their eggs or whatever. When you reach the eggs, you are safe to thrust. I don't know if you always have the same orientation when you enter the red glow part, but when you get to the eggs, look up and head to the white glow you see. That's the ship. You're safe to thrust as much as you want until you get to the ship. It's not tough or scary, it just takes time.

I can see that being a big time saver!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Bramble: Once you get a little distance you can actually lightly use your jets at one pip on the indicator on the left but it's hard to do that without accidentally using two pips and then all the anglers go "hey you!" and then you die