Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I don't know about Toyota issues except for sludging due to overlong oil change intervals. Mazda has done pretty well lately. I know Honda had has issues with the L15Dx turbo engine. Hyundai/Kia just had a massive recall. Subaru, same.

Mazda only makes 3 or 4 engines, though, so I guess that helps. Maybe it's Mazda now?

GM and Ford are not as good as Honda or Toyota on the whole.
Mitsubishi? lol
Volvo, no
Anything German is right out.
Italian hahahahhahah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

meatpimp posted:

Fiat / Chrysler / Fiat-Chrysler should all count as the same answer, imo. It's one company.

Also Alfa Romeo.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

meatpimp posted:

Fiat / Chrysler / Fiat-Chrysler should all count as the same answer, imo. It's one company.

I clarified my answer as such. FCA is the parent company.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

You could make a case they should all be put together, but I took a pretty hard line when it came to combining answers for this question in particular, since it didn't really seem right for someone who said Chrysler specifically to be combined with someone who said Alfa specifically, same parent company or not. Plus, I did the same thing on the opposite question, breaking Lexus and Toyota apart.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

And now I mount a comeback from behind! :pervert:

Also, 69? nice

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

MrChips posted:

You could make a case they should all be put together, but I took a pretty hard line when it came to combining answers for this question in particular, since it didn't really seem right for someone who said Chrysler specifically to be combined with someone who said Alfa specifically, same parent company or not. Plus, I did the same thing on the opposite question, breaking Lexus and Toyota apart.

I can see your reasoning, but maybe using the word "brand" instead of "manufacturer" muddied the waters a bit since reliability is probably consistent across most manufacturers' marques.

As for who really gets to be top dog on reliability; Despite being a Toyota guy I'd argue Honda is still top dog, if only barely and I am surprised Toyota sheeped higher. Both of them need to step up or they'll be on par with GM and Ford soon enough. I do not have a high opinion of Mazda but I do understand they're generally not awful (mine was awful), but Mazda is also Japanese Ford, Nissan is basically Japanese Renault, I read way too many Subaru horror-stories on this very forum for them to be considered, and Mitsubishi is Japanese Chrysler and therefore poo poo. Hyundai has improved significantly but is not quite there yet. Across the big pond, Ford and GM are superior to FCA and I think it's safe to say nobody here is broken enough to think any FCA product is reliable. Across the littler pond reliability does not seem to be a priority and thusly counts out all of Europe and the rest of continental Asia.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 26, 2019

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

sharkytm posted:

Are you all living in 2000? Toyota has slipped badly.

Baa

I dunno why I put KIA in for answer 6 when my placeholder was [Italian car]

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm not surprised Toyota sheeped that high. For a long loving time, the default recommendation for "I don't care about anything but reliability" in a cheap used car has been a Toyota product in one way or another.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

A $1000 beater is not a beater.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm not surprised Toyota sheeped that high. For a long loving time, the default recommendation for "I don't care about anything but reliability" in a cheap used car has been a Toyota product in one way or another.

If you want a reliable and cheap used car you really can't go wrong with the three Cs, even now. Camry, Corolla, Civic. Two of 'em are Toyotas.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

My boiler plate for friend car recommendations is "any Honda that isn't V6/Auto, any Mazda not trashed by rust or any Toyota made before 2005" (after which they ask me to go help look at this cool Audi/Nissan/Mini they found for a great deal!!! :eng99:)

But I'd rather deal with a Mazda alllllll day long.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Guess what the #1 most reliable car is according to Consumer Report's reader survey

Mazda MX-5

Listing of the most reliable brands?

Lexus
Mazda
Toyota
Porsche
Genesis [they consider this a separate brand?]
etc. Honda is #12!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Fermented Tinal posted:

I can see your reasoning, but maybe using the word "brand" instead of "manufacturer" muddied the waters a bit since reliability is probably consistent across most manufacturers' marques.

As for who really gets to be top dog on reliability; Despite being a Toyota guy I'd argue Honda is still top dog, if only barely and I am surprised Toyota sheeped higher. Both of them need to step up or they'll be on par with GM and Ford soon enough. I do not have a high opinion of Mazda but I do understand they're generally not awful (mine was awful), but Mazda is also Japanese Ford, Nissan is basically Japanese Renault, I read way too many Subaru horror-stories on this very forum for them to be considered, and Mitsubishi is Japanese Chrysler and therefore poo poo. Hyundai has improved significantly but is not quite there yet. Across the big pond, Ford and GM are superior to FCA and I think it's safe to say nobody here is broken enough to think any FCA product is reliable. Across the littler pond reliability does not seem to be a priority and thusly counts out all of Europe and the rest of continental Asia.

Subies are reliable as long as you're willing and able to do a lot of preventative maintenance. Nissans tend to grenade CVTs. Toyotas are still pretty solid driving appliances.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Liquid Communism posted:

Subies are reliable as long as you're willing and able to do a lot of preventative maintenance.

Thats not true - Subie's are in reality reliable even with bad maintenace and even under general abuse. The biggest problem is that turbo models get owned by idiots that like to do knock tuning on poo poo fuel then have the shits their piston rings break due to their own stupidity.

Meanwhile in places that use the recommended fuel (98 RON) and dont tune the engine till it knocks and back off half a degree, they go forever. Issues with CVT reliability are industry-wide so I'm not sure you can pin that on Subaru. Issues with older H6's eventually blowing head gaskets seem to be more about climate change has moved the enviroment window outside of original design specs (but again that's a problem for a lot of other cars too)

EJ20 powered Subarus are going to outlive cockroaches in the coming apocalypse

IOwnCalculus posted:

It still is because I cant think of ANY brand that still just runs like Toyota.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

sharkytm posted:

I clarified my answer as such. FCA is the parent company.

MrChips posted:

Yeah, this makes sense. I should have read closer. The question asked for "Brand," Fiat - Chrysler is the Manufacturer. It is interesting, though, that the most and least reliable Manufacturers had more than half of the repsondant answers! AI likes Toyota and doesn't like Fiat - Chrysler.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Thats not true - Subie's are in reality reliable

The diesel debacle was/is a complete clusterfuck tho.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Question 7: The Germans have a very long history of making cars. This car built by a German company is the one that I dream of driving the most.

Question 8: This piece of technology redefined the car as we know it today.

Answers soon...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
My hopes are rising!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Starting to think I may have whiffed on question 8!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Question 7: The Germans have a very long history of making cars. This car built by a German company is the one that I dream of driving the most.

Porsche 911 - 15
IOwnCalculus
McTinkerson
luminalflux
Elephanthead
turb
Beverly Cleavage
Maksimus54
SharkyTM
superdylan
Slung Blade
nitsuga
Dadliest Worrier
Modus Man
Bentai
Terrible Robot

Audi Quattro - 3
Stevobob
Liquid Communism
Deeters

E30 M3 - 3
slothrop
eaten by a grue
Grakkus

Porsche 911 GT3 - 3
Bajaha
The Royal Nonesuch
Somewhat Heroic

Mercedes 560 SEC AMG - 2
Seat Safety Switch
Powershift

Porsche Carrera GT - 2
sirr0bin
CannonFodder

Mercedes SLS - 2
Elmnt80
meatpimp

BMW 850CSi - 2
Kazinsal
The Door Frame

Mercedes 300 gullwing - 2
StormDrain
heffray

Porsche 918 - 2
Korwen
pr0craztinazn

VW Beetle (original style) - 2
Freelop
Fermented Tinal

ACES:

NSU Ro80 - CAT INTERCEPTOR
Audi R8 - No Wake
BMW E82 1M in that burnt orange. Fight me. - bolind
BMW - CornHolio
RS5 Avant - toplitzin
The one I own :smith: - NumbersMatching320i
W124 TE 4matic. - cursedshitbox
Mercedes Unimog - InitialDave
Opel GT - ephphatha
BMW 2002 tii - nadmonk
BMW E36 M3 - Nebakenezzer
507 - Chunjee
Porsche - Wrar
BMW E30 - builds character
Mercedes Benz 300 SEL 6.3 - Charles
BMW M1 - Nitrospazzz
S65 AMG - LloydDobler
M8 - Alarbus
Maybach Exclero - Fender Anarchist

Fuel injection - 8
IOwnCalculus
luminalflux
ephphatha
Somewhat Heroic
nadmonk
SharkyTM
Dadliest Worrier
NumbersMatching320i

The Computer - 4
Grakkus
Fender Anarchist
Kazinsal
Slung Blade

Automatic transmission - 3
StormDrain
heffray
Bentai

Adaptive Cruise Control - 2
The Door Frame
toplitzin

Turbos - 2
McTinkerson
Beverly Cleavage

Modern 3-pedal layout (clutch/brake/accelerator) - 2
InitialDave
CannonFodder

hybrids - 2
Chunjee
eaten by a grue

Internal combustion engine - 2
Powershift
Nitrospazzz

Smart phone - 2
Deeters
Elephanthead

Electric Vehicles - 2
Bajaha
No Wake

Electric starter - 2
Charles
Freelop

The touch screen - 2
Modus Man
pr0craztinazn

Lithium Ion Battery - 2
LloydDobler
nitsuga

ACES:

The V8 - Seat Safety Switch
Seatbelts - Stevobob
In-dash screens - Liquid Communism
Airbags - The Royal Nonesuch
Glovebox big enough for a axe - CAT INTERCEPTOR
Heated steering wheel - bolind
radio - CornHolio
The Carburetor. - cursedshitbox
Robots - sirr0bin
Driver assists - Elmnt80
GPS - slothrop
keyless entry and start - turb
unibody structures - Nebakenezzer
Automatic windscreen wipers - Maksimus54
Anti-lock Brakes - Wrar
Self-driving technology - Korwen
Battery packs - superdylan
Smart Summon - builds character
CAN Bus - meatpimp
Mirrors - Fermented Tinal
Safety regulations - Terrible Robot
Disc Brakes - Alarbus

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Scores after question 8:

luminalflux - 89
IOwnCalculus - 88
Bajaha - 81
turb - 77
superdylan - 77
Elephanthead - 76
Somewhat Heroic - 76
nitsuga - 76
Terrible Robot - 75
No Wake - 72
Fermented Tinal - 72
Kazinsal - 71
meatpimp - 70
pr0craztinazn - 70
Modus Man - 69
nadmonk - 68
Dadliest Worrier - 68
Nitrospazzz - 67
SharkyTM - 66
Maksimus54 - 65
Liquid Communism - 64
McTinkerson - 63
Beverly Cleavage - 63
Powershift - 63
LloydDobler - 62
The Royal Nonesuch - 59
slothrop - 59
Nebakenezzer - 59
Chunjee - 59
Wrar - 59
builds character - 58
sirr0bin - 57
Fender Anarchist - 57
Seat Safety Switch - 55
bolind - 55
Korwen - 54
Elmnt80 - 52
StormDrain - 52
heffray - 52
Grakkus - 51
Stevobob - 50
Freelop - 50
InitialDave - 49
Bentai - 48
toplitzin - 46
CannonFodder - 46
Deeters - 46
Slung Blade - 46
Alarbus - 46
Charles - 43
CornHolio - 37
eaten by a grue - 37
The Door Frame - 32
NumbersMatching320i - 31
ephphatha - 25
cursedshitbox - 12
CAT INTERCEPTOR - 8

See you tomorrow for the reveal of Questions 9 and 10!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

Mercedes 560 SEC AMG - 2
Seat Safety Switch
Powershift

:cool: :respek: :cool:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

MrChips posted:

Mercedes SLS - 2
Elmnt80
meatpimp

:drat: I thought that'd be an ace, but Elmnt80 knows what's up.

quote:

Heated steering wheel - bolind

Lots of solid arguments to be made here, but I think bolind was the only one that was correct.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
69, fine as wine

I thought there would be more love hate for the touch screen

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

MrChips posted:

BMW 850CSi - 2
Kazinsal
The Door Frame

Aww yeah, someone else loves the E31 as much as me

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

meatpimp posted:

:drat: I thought that'd be an ace, but Elmnt80 knows what's up.

Lots of solid arguments to be made here, but I think bolind was the only one that was correct.

:whatup:

I'd give it to fuel injection, then heated seats. Then again, I live in the south, so heated seats is really a bougie af thing for me to have. But hey, the butts warm in 2-3 minutes, the car is still pegged on cold works for me.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Everyone who DIDN'T answer "Unimog" needs to be asked the same question by a voluptuous German lass wearing traditional dress sat on their face.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

MrChips posted:

Maybach Exclero - Fender Anarchist

poo poo, how could I have forgotten about this piece of perfection.

Fender Anarchist, you know what's up.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I'm unintentionally doing poorly :(

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Wow, I think this is the best I've ever done in an AI sheep game. Feels weird, I hope I start doing poorly soon

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I have exactly twice as many points as I wanted to have by the end of this.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

MrChips posted:

BMW E82 1M in that burnt orange. Fight me. - bolind

poo poo, I want to change my answer.

CornHolio posted:

I'm unintentionally doing poorly :(

Yeah...

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Is anyone that picked fuel injection under 30? I never thought of that since it's been standard on cars almost my entire life.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Deeters posted:

Is anyone that picked fuel injection under 30? I never thought of that since it's been standard on cars almost my entire life.

Cars have been around longer than all of us, I took the spirit of the question to mean for the entire history. I chose the automatic transmission because that was one of the things that made cars easier to use. Cars are more and more automatic now leading to the autonomous car.

In this vein I could have picked the mechanical advance distributor, since you have to manually adjust timing on a Model T Ford. But I wanted to be a little sheepy! The three pedal layout was good too. Or seat belts as a starting point for safety. Or a hard top.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Deeters posted:

Is anyone that picked fuel injection under 30?

Probably not :v:

It really is a huge difference in how an engine behaves. Moreso with modern fuel injection than TBI / early Bosch Jetronic garbage, but still.

Electronic ignition is right up there with it.

With a carb and points, you could have an engine where nothing was really "wrong" but all the tolerances and unpredictable behaviors stack up the wrong way during certain conditions and now it's going to run poorly or not at all. With computerized fuel injection and electronic ignition, it's going to fire right up unless something is actually broken.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I'd have gone with computer just mainly because while fuel injection has been a real game changer, mechanical fuel injection really isnt that big of a difference over a carb. You just cant do all the micro adjustments with anything less that a ECU watching over the whole thing.

Also you cant have EV's as they now stand without ECU's everywhere in them. Hell, look at most answers and at their core they couldnt really have happened and gotten developed like they have without ECU's or computers. Glovebox big enough for a axe would be designed by CAD now to maximise the use of space in ways car makers just couldnt even 40 years ago.

No one else picked NSU Ro80 :(

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
You're all going to feel really silly when five years from now an entirely foreseeable programming error has turned smart summon into skynet.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Question 9: When a road car engine exceeds this power-displacement ratio (in horsepower/litre), I sit up and think, “yeah, that’s pretty powerful!”

Question 10: Italy has a long and storied history of auto manufacturing. This brand from Italy is the one I love the most.

Answers soon...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:lol: Mondial. That's like the guy with the Jalpa that we laughed at in the late '80s because it was the baby Lamborghini. Seriously, though... did Jalpas do anything other than fade into ignominy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Question 9: When a road car engine exceeds this power-displacement ratio (in horsepower/litre), I sit up and think, “yeah, that’s pretty powerful!”

100-110 hp/L - 22
No Wake
sirr0bin
IOwnCalculus
InitialDave
Elmnt80
slothrop
Elephanthead
Somewhat Heroic
CannonFodder
Beverly Cleavage
SharkyTM
superdylan
meatpimp
Bajaha
Charles
Nitrospazzz
LloydDobler
builds character
Grakkus
Terrible Robot
Fender Anarchist
pr0craztinazn

120-130 hp/L - 10
NumbersMatching320i
nadmonk
Wrar
Slung Blade
Korwen
Deeters
CornHolio
StormDrain
heffray
Nebakenezzer

150-160 hp/L - 9
Seat Safety Switch
Liquid Communism
The Royal Nonesuch
luminalflux
Kazinsal
Maksimus54
eaten by a grue
nitsuga
Bentai

200-210 hp/L - 5
McTinkerson
Stevobob
Powershift
Dadliest Worrier
Modus Man

Less than 80 hp/L - 4
Fermented Tinal
The Door Frame
cursedshitbox
Alarbus

ACES:

Enough to pull a priest off a choirboy - CAT INTERCEPTOR
130-140 hp/L - bolind
170-180 hp/L - toplitzin
1:1 - ephphatha
110-120 hp/L - turb
400 - Chunjee
69:420 - Freelop

Question 10: Italy has a long and storied history of auto manufacturing. This brand from Italy is the one I love the most.

Ferrari - 21
Liquid Communism
The Royal Nonesuch
toplitzin
sirr0bin
IOwnCalculus
luminalflux
Somewhat Heroic
SharkyTM
Chunjee
StormDrain
heffray