Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

AnoHito posted:

Congrats to this guy for saving his sister from a lovely and, given the pattern of what happens to women in evangelical family, probably abusive marriage.

what guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Every poster in that subreddit is a man unless otherwise stated of course,because men should always be the default.

Even when people state they are not a man it's a man

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

We're all dudes on the internet bro

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Except when there are two men in a given relationship, then one automatically reads as a lady.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

We're all dudes on the internet bro

Just guys being bros

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Just bros broing. Bro bro Bro bro bro bro Bro bro

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Grape posted:

I said that even in places with lowered tensions that are mostly in the past you can still have awkward relationships, especially concerning older relatives.

Particularly imagine an Irish lad and his best English gal going to her home for dinner and Uncle Gammon starts talking about how Boris Johnson owned the Irish today and how they need to remember their place.

Are you either British or Irish or are you a plastic paddy from America? Because if the latter I strongly suggest you stfu.

Note that having an Irish great great grandad from 1880 does not mean you are Irish.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

feedmegin posted:

Are you either British or Irish or are you a plastic paddy from America? Because if the latter I strongly suggest you stfu.
Attitudes like this are why y'all always fightin'

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

quote:

Kichner posted:

If you're not already thinking of the Queen while you're jerking off doing a two-handed, power-grip jerk-off under thea steely-eyed photographs of the Queen and Mother TheresaMaggie Thatcher then you're not a patriot half a man and don't deserve to ejaculate anyway.

FTFY

FTFY

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Pinecone Sample posted:

WIBTA for taking my friend's ex as my date to her wedding after I got kicked out of her wedding party?

Why would you even bother to attend? This isnt a romantic comedy so their "revenge" Will be at best awkward and the bride gets to revel in drama. Keep your actual friends and maybe just go on a regular date with the guy on the day of the wedding. Would make a far better story for the possible future.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Attitudes like this are why y'all always fightin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2q0T7QXETs

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

feedmegin posted:

Note that having an Irish great great grandad from 1880 does not mean you are Irish.

Calm that Irish temper, O'Paddigan

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

The gently caress is this callout bullshit? I never said that a handjob isn't cheating, gently caress off idiot. My contention was that OP was an unreliable narrator and that no handjobs were even given in that story

I just remembered you as one of the people defending the ex-fiance, but I don't know where you got the whole "no handies were given" thing from something with a title that was explicit about that. My apologies!

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

The stripper was a sex worker doing his job--you know, because sex work is work. The woman giving him a handjob wasn't cheating any more than it's cheating to tip your server.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

goethe.cx posted:

The stripper was a sex worker doing his job--you know, because sex work is work. The woman giving him a handjob wasn't cheating any more than it's cheating to tip your server.

Is that where you work the head more than the shaft?

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

goethe.cx posted:

I have a feeling most stripper handjobs involve a pretty small tip

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

https://www.radio.com/news/man-pranks-wife-with-tattoo-of-her-snoring-face-on-his-thigh

Not Reddit, but I thought it fit the thread.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

She says he added more chins, but it looks like the chin count is the same, but the contrast just makes it more notable.

Either way this is loving weird.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

"He added more chins" is gonna be quoted again in the divorce

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I just remembered you as one of the people defending the ex-fiance, but I don't know where you got the whole "no handies were given" thing from something with a title that was explicit about that. My apologies!

It was a very basic detail that I was really consistent on, so the fact that you so badly hosed it up says more about you than it does me. No worries!

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 27, 2019

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You might be confused because Quark Jets was drawing a distinction between touching a stripper's dick and a handjob, which is not a distinction most people cared about.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

feedmegin posted:

Who are you, some tough Irish guy that lives outside all year long? Paddy O'Furniture

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

xtal posted:

I took the "confirmed bachelor" perk. That makes me extra masculine.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

xtal posted:

I remember that show from when I was a kid.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
This story is pretty cut&dry and not worth reading...

AITA for letting my 7 year old daughter call my husband "daddy", against the wishes of her biological father (my ex husband)?

quote:

My ex husband left me when I was 2 months pregnant. When my daughter turned 4 months old, he married his current wife. I met my husband when my daughter was 2 years old and married him when she turned 3. My daughter is now 7 years old and I have a 3 year old son with my husband. My ex has two daughters with his wife, who are 6 and 4.

My ex has an every other weekend visitation with our daughter. Now my daughter used to call my husband 'popi' , but ever since the birth of my son, my daughter has started calling my husband 'daddy'. That's what I call my husband when I address him in front of my son, and my daughter has kind of picked up on that.

We never told her no, because my husband loves my daughter and thinks of her as his own. He has stayed up nights taking care of her the times she has been sick.

Now, she doesn't have the same relationship with her stepmother. She has always called her stepmother by her actual first name, and it has always been that way, even though her stepmother has known her for a longer time than my husband.

Here's why I'm wondering if I'm the rear end in a top hat.

The other night, when me and my husband went to pick up my daughter from her dad's, my daughter ran out of their door happily saying "mommy and daddy are here, I'm going home!"

When my ex heard her address my husband as 'daddy', he turned visibly upset. Later when we got home, my ex blew up on my phone saying that I was emotionally abusing my daughter by 'making' her call another man "daddy" and that I needed to make her stop.

I said that our daughter has all the right to call my husband daddy if it makes her happy. He then asked me how I'd feel if he made our daughter call his wife "mommy". I told him that if my daughter hasn't called her " Mommy " after 6 years of knowing her, it is because she never wanted to. I said that it isn't my fault if our daughter feels closer to her stepfather and actually loves our family together. After saying that, I hanged up.

The next day my ex mother in law called me accusing me of parental alienation. This is honestly messing with my mind.

My husband loves my daughter. Is it really bad if we let her call him "daddy"?. He loves it and in fact, he always says that he has 2 kids.
...except for the top comment:

quote:

Based on your description NTA. If he wanted to not have competition for the term daddy then he shouldn’t have gone out looking for competition for the term wife while he was still married to you.

Similarly, we have:
AITA for asking my cousin why she doesn’t get a nosejob when she asked me why I don’t get a hair transplant?

quote:

Background: I’m a mid 20’s guy who has been balding for the past few years. Right now I’m a Norwood 3: https://cdn-prod.medicalnewstoday.com/content/images/articles/327/327001/an-infographic-of-the-norwood-scale.jpg

I’ve tried prescription meds but didn’t like the side effects and don’t want to get a hair transplant. Right now I buzz it short and am getting used to the idea I’ll eventually be bald.

Event: Extended family including several adult cousins flew in from out of state last night to celebrate the last couple nights of Hanukkah and Shabbat candle lighting later today. My cousin is 22 and a senior in college. I haven’t seen her for several years. We exchanged pleasantries and then out of the blue she looked at my head and said “wow you’ve lost a lot of hair put on your yarmulke! Why don’t you get a hair transplant?”

I was taken aback and just instinctively responded “wow your schnoz is huge why don’t you get a nosejob.” She started crying and her parents were upset at me. They said she is very self conscious about her nose. I did not know that but It was the first thing that came to me when I looked at her after she made the comment about my hair. They are asking me to apologize to her today and I said I would if she apologized about her comment about my hair. But they said she just said it in good fun and my hair “isn’t that bad and most men end up bald anyway.”

AITA for what I said? WIBITA if I refused to apologize unless she did as well?
I just like reading petty burns, so sue me.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

All these people talking poo poo to their families learning the hard lesson of “talk poo poo, get hit”

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Serephina posted:

This story is pretty cut&dry and not worth reading...

AITA for letting my 7 year old daughter call my husband "daddy", against the wishes of her biological father (my ex husband)?

Hate to say it's necessary, but she needs a consult with a family attorney. With Ex-MIL throwing around terminology, she might need to get out in front of some bullshit custody dispute to protect her daughter.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for outing my brother because he was making fun of my girlfriend?

Since everyone is around for the holidays, my brother, sister, several of our cousins, and I went out to a bar on the night of Christmas to just let loose. My girlfriend came along with us to meet my cousins, and just hang out.

The way my girlfriend dresses is rather tomboyish, I guess. She tends to wear loose baggy things and hats. She’s not much into makeup and stuff, but her clothes are still nice IMO. The bar we went to was a bit on the high end, but she looked fine.

We all had several drinks and were just chilling, talking and eating. My brother starts being kind of an rear end in a top hat to my girlfriend. First he asked her why she was wearing what she was wearing (a very nice baggy sweater and some looser jeans cuffed at the ankle). Then he started asking her why she liked to dress like a hobo, and asking if she could bother to make herself pretty for me. I tried to play it off and be like ‘oh I think she’s beautiful as she is’ while holding her. He kept going. He eventually just started literally insulting her, it went from kinda playful to very annoying. Eventually I was like, “bro don’t you suck dick? Why do you care how my girlfriend looks.”

Nobody knew that my brother was gay, I kind of found out by accident. Everyone just kind of got wide eyed and silent. We all just ate our food and left. Word has gotten back to my old conservative parents, and he’s going through a bit of hell right now. They are not happy, he’s not happy. I’m not sure what to make of the whole thing. AITA?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

when you hit far harder than the poo poo talking warranted

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

He may have been less an rear end in a top hat if he had just socked his brother on the face

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I (28F) just got engaged and my best friend (29M) is morbidly unhappy about this and ruining his mental health and our relationship.

I’ve been best friends with my friend J since I was 15 years old in high school. Over a decade. He is my oldest and best friend. He’s as important as a limb to me and we’ve been through so much. Breakups, family issues, deaths, illness, depression. He’s the only person who never once looked at me differently or judged me while knowing my faults and vice versa.

I’d like to make it clear that it has been platonic on both sides since the moment we met. I know it’s cliche, but we have always viewed each other and told people we were brother and sister. Having anything other than platonic thoughts feels like incest to me and makes me gag. He has always been vocal about this too throughout the years. Even when other friends or people see us and bring it up he’s the first to say he views me exactly like his other blood sister. J’s family views me as daughter and I’ve been close with them for just as long including holidays and everything.

We have both gone through multiple relationships. J saw me go through my hardest breakup 5 years ago and I went on a casual dating binge for a good two years after. He has had serious and casual as well. We always talk about so’s, sex, everything. He’s known my current SO for as long as I have met him. We have all hung out these past couple of years and J loves him and often says how rare of a guy he is and how he’s happy I found him. J has suffered from depression the last year or so. Some days are worse than others. He’s had mental issues in the past. He went through a troubling time a few years ago where he truly believed he had supernatural healing powers and meant to be a missah. He went to counseling and had my support throughout. He did get better and let those thoughts go. Even then he never acted even remotely like this.

Fast forward to now and my SO proposed to me a few weeks ago and I said yes. J lost his mind like a flip of a switch. He went ghost for a few days and ignored my messages and calls. He then called me in the middle of the night talking in a very quiet voice saying things that made no sense. Almost like speaking in a cryptic way and saying the world doesn’t understand him. He would hang up after this and shut his phone off so it would leave me worrying about him all night and calling a phone that went straight to voicemail. I would confront him the next morning and all he would say is yeah, so.

He’s always angry and being really strange. He’s always talking in riddles now and is constantly referring to himself as the joker character in the new movie. I tell him that I think we should get professional help together and that I’d go to counseling with him. He refuses.

I feel he is getting mentally worse and I’ve tried getting to root of the issue and he won’t budge. It all started the day I got engaged. I don’t know if he just fell in depression because I have something he always wanted with his ex? Or that I have some happiness and he feels he doesn’t. I don’t know but I’m hurting because he’s my only true friend and I feel like I don’t have when this is suppose to be a happy time in my life.

[TL;DR] my longtime platonic friend has been acting very strange and depressed since I got engaged. He’s getting progressively worse and refuses to talk about the issue or seek help. I don’t know what to do.

Edit- I realize he is mental unwell right now and that normal talking and reasoning won’t help because he isn’t seeing things rationally. At this point I’m truly trying to get him in to a professional which is more difficult than last time. I wish I knew before I mentioned the engagement because it seems that’s what did it.

Edit- his family is not a support group. They look down on mental illness and refuse to acknowledge that their son has a mental health problem. He doesn’t have any other friends, he cut them out a while ago. He only sees hook ups randomly

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I (28F) just got engaged and my best friend (29M) is morbidly unhappy about this and ruining his mental health and our relationship.

I didn't even know Nice Guy 2019 had a franchise mode. He's taking having his save deleted pretty hard.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Please tell me this dude is living in a state where he can get red flagged and have the state hold onto his guns for a while.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Clitch posted:

I didn't even know Nice Guy 2019 had a franchise mode. He's taking having his save deleted pretty hard.

Lol

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

luxury handset posted:

when you hit far harder than the poo poo talking warranted

Nah, brother had it coming. Don't gently caress with people who have damaging information about you and expect they will keep it quiet.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

therobit posted:

Nah, brother had it coming. Don't gently caress with people who have damaging information about you and expect they will keep it quiet.

Plus, he didn’t know his brother was closeted. He fired back with something he thought was around the same level but, uh, whoops?

I guess it’s like “talk poo poo, get hit, land funny and be the weird outlier that gets permanent brain damage”

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Smirking_Serpent posted:

“bro don’t you suck dick? Why do you care how my girlfriend looks.”

Not only did OP out his own brother, he also did it in an incredibly homophobic and sex negative way.

therobit posted:

First - you never out someone. Even today that can still destroy their life or get them hurt or killed.

Second - he totally knew his brother was closeted, he even states he only found out by accident.

Three - he did it in a way which confirmed his own homophobia, so gently caress that guy anyway.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 28, 2019

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

therobit posted:

I wouldn't out someone for that, but also if something is a secret you kinda gotta tell the people who know that it's a secret. OP thought everyone knew brother was gay.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Hellblazer187 posted:

OP thought everyone knew brother was gay.

quote:

Nobody knew that my brother was gay, I kind of found out by accident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for telling my cousin that she should be over her ex (who I am dating) before she gets married?

My cousin and my boyfriend used to date. They were together over a year, and broke up because he wanted to settle down and have a family, and she didn't want to do either of those things. I never met him while they were together, but about a year after they broke up I met him in a bar. We've been together 2 years, and it was only about 3 or 4 months into dating that we realised the connection. My cousin is aware of the relationship and congratulated us, saying that it was good we found each other because she knew we want the same things in the long run.

In the 3 years since they split up my cousin has met someone new and they're engaged. She's planning the wedding and asked me to be a bridesmaid. When she was sorting out plus ones she asked if I was still dating her ex (she actually said the phrase "are you still dating my ex?") and I said yes. She then said that they didn't want exes at the wedding, which I felt was fair enough and was willing to just accept and move on, but then I found out that one of the other bridesmaids is the groom's ex girlfriend, and 2 more exes are also invited to the wedding, so it's not "no exes", it's just not the ex I'm dating.

This annoyed me because I'm not allowed a plus one at all, which means I can't even bring someone else (eg a male friend) and will be the only person without a date at the wedding of 200+ people. I really would like a date because I am the family scapegoat. They don't approve of my life or my choices, especially going to university and my work as a teacher, and feel that I should be a wife and mother before anything else. I don't know anyone there outside of family and I would really like to have someone in my corner, and honestly my cousin's point blank refusal of the one specific ex I happen to be dating worried me a bit that maybe there was more to the break up than they let on.

I directly said to my cousin "look, it's your wedding, I'm not going to tell you what to do or go bridesmaid-zilla on you because I know you're stressed, but I also know that I am the only person coming without a plus one and other exes are coming. Can you please just tell me what the problem is with [his name]?"

My cousin then responded that she made a mistake ending things with my boyfriend because she does want kids after all, she's realised she's not entirely over him, and she keeps thinking about "what could have been".

I responded "Well then you need to call off the wedding or get over [his name] ASAP because your wedding is in a few months, and it's been 3 loving years."

I am now not only no longer a bridesmaid but I'm not even invited to the wedding any more. My boyfriend is weirded out by the whole thing (he had no idea she felt that way) but the remaining bridesmaids and some relatives have contacted me saying I went too far and should have left it alone as it is her wedding and her choice.

AITA?

Edit: I was honestly going to accept this and move on the second she said that it was a blanket ban on exes, but then I found out that one of her exes is a guest and the groom's exes are there in the capacity of guest and bridesmaid. When I realised it was just my boyfriend that wasn't invited this honestly did worry me because when just one specific ex isn't invited that means that there's more to it than if there is a blanket ban on exes.