Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFMyMxMYDNk

Watch this if you haven't. The first cut was a steaming piece of poo poo. George was absolutely rescued

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i remember watching the last Fast & Furious movie with Paul Walker, the one he died during filming.

And I knew the Jason Statham character was taking their team out one by one, so the entire movie I was watching like: Alright when is Paul gonna eat it? How are they going to approach this? How do they kill this guy off?

But then at the end they just do this nice drive off into the sunset thing and i was like: ohhhh, duhhh. of course. like why the gently caress did I think they were going to blow him up in a car or shoot him?? rofl of course they're going to do like a sweet and touching sendaway. Fast and Furious franchise did a better major cast member death:psyduck:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Colonel Cancer posted:

How about starting the new star wars trilogy with Luke coalescing back from the force into a giant naked blue Luke and quipping something witty?

Bigger Bluuke

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I saw it. Pacing was terrible with the entire movie being fetch quests.

Anyone else dislike Finn? He's just such an annoying character. He wasn't nearly as bad in TFA, but he ended up being the idiot saying they need to save Rey everytime she did anything. Does he not see she's a loving superhero?

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

bring back old gbs posted:

i remember watching the last Fast & Furious movie with Paul Walker, the one he died during filming.

And I knew the Jason Statham character was taking their team out one by one, so the entire movie I was watching like: Alright when is Paul gonna eat it? How are they going to approach this? How do they kill this guy off?

But then at the end they just do this nice drive off into the sunset thing and i was like: ohhhh, duhhh. of course. like why the gently caress did I think they were going to blow him up in a car or shoot him?? rofl of course they're going to do like a sweet and touching sendaway. Fast and Furious franchise did a better major cast member death:psyduck:

The Fast and the Furious was a better managed franchise than Star Wars this decade.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

last episode of the mandalorian is out

gus fring has a "darksaber" which is a light saber except dark

lil baby yoda gets smacked around

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Tiberius Christ posted:

last episode of the mandalorian is out

gus fring has a "darksaber" which is a light saber except dark

lil baby yoda gets smacked around

There should have been a black hole saber that destroys light sabers

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

Hi, just want you to know that making this post in response to someone suggesting reading an autobiography is deeply loving weird and unhinged

what? you gay bot?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Crazyweasel posted:

The point I was making is that under Lucas, Lucasfilm was so much more than just Star Wars. Pixar started there, modern CG and sound design started there, LucasArts reinvigorated a whole genre of video games, (good or bad) it completely changed how to merchandise and grow a fictional universe.

Even if you take the “well Lucas just gave people money” perspective, wait 40 years and tell me if Disney authorizing the use of funds at Lucasfilm will generate 1/10th of what Lucas did over that time.

okay yeah fair enough

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Leon Einstein posted:

I saw it. Pacing was terrible with the entire movie being fetch quests.

Anyone else dislike Finn? He's just such an annoying character. He wasn't nearly as bad in TFA, but he ended up being the idiot saying they need to save Rey everytime she did anything. Does he not see she's a loving superhero?

They kept giving Finn less and less to do other than scream Rey. He's not a Skywalker or a Paplatine so obviously he's not loving important so let's not give him any screen times.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Finn has the best arc in TFA that they could have gone a lot of directions with and instead chose to go none with.

Hell it would have cost them nothing to have horse girl at least give him a little payoff by saying "We heard the story of one brave trooper who defected and it inspired us..."

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Lineage is everything, kids. Only the elite may be heroes

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
the new star wars teaches children that unless you're born into power, you're nobody

which I guess is an important lesson to learn early on

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Away all Goats posted:

why did they give every star destroyer a planet killing weapon but gave only one of them space GPS

Complaining about military choices in a movie about magic and space lazers... The US/Russia both even have advanced missile systems that are designed this way, to allow more control over powerful weapon systems The US has a loving briefcase still. The plot was pretty... I don't even know, but they did a good job establishing the emperor being a control freak in every film, including this one. Also historically we know Hitler made a bunch of engineering mandates that were cartoonishly dumb (dive bombers, tank armor), and these movies were pretty transparent about the nazi germany = the empire rhetoric.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Notoriously bad military ideas: dive bombers, armor on tanks???

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Oscar Isaac seemed exhausted when he has to give the expository dialogue each time they move to a new set piece.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Moola posted:

the new star wars teaches children that unless you're born into power, you're nobody

which I guess is an important lesson to learn early on

That's Disney for you! Princess films have always been about that.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

my dog died im sad posted:

Oscar Isaac seemed exhausted when he has to give the expository dialogue each time they move to a new set piece.

That's General Poe, who's inspiring battlefield message as his fleet is getting decimated by 328723845725 star destroyers is "Don't Die."

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
The movie should've been about Babu Frik. Frankly, the whole cast should have consisted of cute puppets.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
wait hold on, you guys are making GBS threads me, did The Mandalorian really only cost $15 million for all eight episodes?? no loving way. that's gotta be bullshit.

Sydin posted:

So I guess Williams has said he won't score another Star Wars? lol. Just bury the series Disney.

to be fair john williams is pretty dang old and probably just wants to retire at this point

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

my dog died im sad posted:

The movie should've been about Babu Frik. Frankly, the whole cast should have consisted of cute puppets.

Jim Hensen presents: Star Wars

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

This summer, choke on the adorable adventures of Sith Baby.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

wait hold on, you guys are making GBS threads me, did The Mandalorian really only cost $15 million for all eight episodes?? no loving way. that's gotta be bullshit.

10-15 an ep.

Which still means you can get two or three seasons of The Mandalorian for one awful sequel trilogy movie. A better buy for the money if you ask this Star Warrior.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Its 15 mill per episode.

EDIT: drat YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Blistex posted:

Personally, I think the biggest crime against Star Wars is that Disney gave EA exclusive rights to the property, and we've no closer to getting a 4K Tie Fighter game or a modern remake of Empire at War than we were 10 years ago.

I'm guessing EA paid out the rear end for exclusivity in order to keep other studios from making good games with the property, like they do with the NFL/Madden

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Clark Nova posted:

I'm guessing EA paid out the rear end for exclusivity in order to keep other studios from making good games with the property, like they do with the NFL/Madden

I was going to make a joke about how they could have been even lazier and gone the Madden route of making the same game with minor tweaks and a "roster update" every year-- but that's literally Battlefront 1/2 isn't it?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
My perennial call for a Star Wars reskin of Eve: Valkyrie goes unanswered once more.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i got a free month of origin basic (they give you one if you turn on 2fa) and used it to try out star wars battlefront 2, it's not a classic for the ages or anything but i ponied up the 11 bucks to buy it. they got the feeling of being in a star wars battle pretty right and the ways they compensated for 'no ammo or medics' are sorta cool and interesting

still grindy as poo poo, though, to unlock stuff

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

boar guy posted:

i got a free month of origin basic (they give you one if you turn on 2fa) and used it to try out star wars battlefront 2, it's not a classic for the ages or anything but i ponied up the 11 bucks to buy it. they got the feeling of being in a star wars battle pretty right and the ways they compensated for 'no ammo or medics' are sorta cool and interesting

still grindy as poo poo, though, to unlock stuff

I paid 15 bucks for access premium to play Fallen Order, which will also unlock almost all the cosmetics if you spring for it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Watch this if you haven't. The first cut was a steaming piece of poo poo. George was absolutely rescued

Lucas is on record as being a terrible director. In the documentary Empire of Dreams the OT actors talk about how the only direction he'd ever give is "Okay try it again, but faster and more intense!" and they used to endlessly needle him over it, which he'd throw big sads over. His original edit of Star Wars was also just him letting what the actors were doing dictate the cuts, and he even fired another editor over that decision lol

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Baby Palpy 👶🏻 vs Baby Yoda 🍼

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

I went back to check out the discussion I missed because of spoilers, and I just want to say that the I fuuuuuuuck football posts were 1000 times more enjoyable than RoS, so thanks?

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Zzulu posted:

Lineage is everything, kids. Only the elite may be heroes

You're nobody unless you're related to space Jesus or evil incarnate.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kazak posted:

I remember a story about Lucas showing a very rough cut of New Hope to Spielberg and De Palma and them just absolutely ripping into it in front of him and his wife

But then they also gave him some feedback and helped him reconsider some elements

basically episode 4 had a ton of episode 1s pacing problems but worse and than his wife came in and saved it.

Sydin posted:

Lucas is on record as being a terrible director. In the documentary Empire of Dreams the OT actors talk about how the only direction he'd ever give is "Okay try it again, but faster and more intense!" and they used to endlessly needle him over it, which he'd throw big sads over. His original edit of Star Wars was also just him letting what the actors were doing dictate the cuts, and he even fired another editor over that decision lol

pretty much. lucas was at one point great with tech and special effects and a good core story and thats it. he was saved by people who told him no and also knew when to ignore him. by the time prequels rolled around(and even somewhat ROJ) he was surrounded by yes men and you got the prequels.

The big problem with the ST is disney had no over all plan and in the end it became a lowlevel cat fight between two directors and competing "visions"

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I think the most damning indictment that I can offer is that I will likely never revisit these movies, except maybe as background noise.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Idk how that's different from the original trilogy :shrug:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

istewart posted:

I think the most damning indictment that I can offer is that I will likely never revisit these movies, except maybe as background noise.

I'm sure that once after RedLetterMedia does its Mr Plinkett review on this, it will be memory holed by most until the retcon sequel sequels are announced at the end of the 2020s

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the funniest thing would be if none of the boys have even given mandolorianan a shot because of movie fatigue and baby yoda saturation

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Zzulu posted:

lol so my parents gave their lives to save me? That's cool and all but THIS guy starred in the original Star Wars movies so I'm gonna take his name

Son of Rodney posted:

That's the funniest part, really. Like she finally found out that her parents were amazingly strong people who endured torture and died under it without saying anything, all just to save her. But no, gently caress you, I wanna be a Skywalker like my cool uncle Luke and aunt Leia. Like what a dissapointment that would be as a parent, absolutely crushing.

You all might want to sit down for this, but it is quite a common occurrence for people to cruelly drop the surname of their parents and spitefully take the name of some other family that they barely know in comparison. They're usually women, so you might want to watch out for that kind of thing if you ever have any daughters, I wouldn't want you your souls to be crushed.

I know this is a Star Wars thread on General Bullshit on SomethingAwful.com and therefore I should just expect it to be a wretched hive of scum and villainy but good lord have I read some pretty galling takes here (and not just these, either) about this whole last name business. If Rey's parents truly were decent people then they'd support her decision. And you can be drat sure they'd already disowned the name Palpatine themselves, anyway.

Edit: Seriously, eat poo poo.

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I don't even understand why it was ever done because Star Wars has a rich history of sometimes good, sometimes bad, and occasionally very bizarre games made by every developer under the sun. LucasArts managing their games in-house and working with almost anyone is how we got awesome stuff like KOTOR, Jedi Knight II, and Rogue Squadron. George Lucas is a genius for how creating LucasArts.

But nope, Disney shot themselves in the foot by annihilating their video game licensing revenue because EA has released just 3 console/PC games and some mobile game garbage in almost 6 years. It's insane and makes less sense than their mismanagement of the movies! I bet Disney is going to buy out or modify the license to allow other publishers because there's so much money left on the table after poorly performing trash like Battlefront.

The movie is already pretty much a Legend of Zelda movie as it is, why not let Nintendo make The Star Wars/ Legend of Zelda Movie: The Zelda Game?

And I bet Konami could make a killer 4-player beat 'em up out of this movie, too.