Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Jerkface posted:

She went on kind ofan adventure when he was 10 (though they were mostly apart). When they meet as adults in AOTC it was the first time theyve seen each other since Anakins training.

They’ve been in hiding together for some weeks or months at that point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Part of what's smart about Empire is that they establish some pre-existing romantic tension between Han and Leia. It's hard to sell 0 to 60 on stuff like that, particularly when you're dealing with the amount of chemistry Hayden and Natalie Portman have. The vast, vast ocean of chemistry they have.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Natalie Portman is a very good actress with an Oscar under her belt and has had many great roles since, but those performances in the prequels felt like she was reading lines off her hands.

A side effect of Lucas’ dialogue, probably, but yeesh.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

dex_sda posted:

Yeah for all the flak I tend to throw Bioware's way (I think they always were a little hacky and it just became apparent in recent years), the decision to place KOTOR where they did was smart, and it was a decent plot. It's probably their only game except for BG2 I really like.

BG2 was made by Black Isle (now Obsidian) using Bioware's engine.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Going back through the PT to test this "The ST makes the PT better in retrospect". Attack of the Clones is a good movie and sits at 4 place after the OT. Fight me.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Noam Chomsky posted:

BG2 was made by Black Isle (now Obsidian) using Bioware's engine.

Nah, BG 1 & 2 were both Bioware developed, Black Isle made the Icewind Dale series and only published the rest

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gonz posted:

Natalie Portman is a very good actress with an Oscar under her belt and has had many great roles since, but those performances in the prequels felt like she was reading lines off her hands.

A side effect of Lucas’ dialogue, probably, but yeesh.

It was the effect Lucas was intending as a genre hallmark. He’s said this. Many people have said it. It’s clear 100x. It’s obvious he can get “non flat” performance from actors when he wants to. He intended her to be flat. People growing up with Tarantino don’t expect it or think it’s “right” to have non “naturalistic” readings but cinematic history is vast and “naturalistic” acting is one branch. It’s not right or wrong

Lilikoi
Oct 11, 2012
It's definitely wrong.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
At least all the TLJ haters who tried to use box office numbers to argue their point are now eating crow. 170 million? Is ROS even going to make back its budget?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

170 is only the domestic iirc

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

gohmak posted:

Going back through the PT to test this "The ST makes the PT better in retrospect". Attack of the Clones is a good movie and sits at 4 place after the OT. Fight me.

Sorry, TPM was the best of the prequel abortions.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
TPM is the better film but Geonosis is probably the best set piece and action sequence in Star Wars.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

At least all the TLJ haters who tried to use box office numbers to argue their point are now eating crow. 170 million? Is ROS even going to make back its budget?

There's essentially no way Disney could lose money on this, but I feel like they aren't getting the returns they expected from this franchise.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

the prequels are all good movies

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

uh whats your point? TLJ haters pointed out that the third film would have a lower opening weekend because people will have given up on the trilogy after TLJ and that seems to have happened so i'm not sure what you're saying.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mandrel posted:

the prequels are all good movies

Attack of the clones has grown to not only be what I think the second best Star Wars movie is but also my favorite

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

porfiria posted:

Part of what's smart about Empire is that they establish some pre-existing romantic tension between Han and Leia. It's hard to sell 0 to 60 on stuff like that, particularly when you're dealing with the amount of chemistry Hayden and Natalie Portman have. The vast, vast ocean of chemistry they have.

Have you watched Empire as an adult? Chemistry lol

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Schwarzwald posted:

TPM is the better film but Geonosis is probably the best set piece and action sequence in Star Wars.

Are we talking about the bad droid factory part or the bad green screen Colosseum part?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you are judging by “naturalistic” standards the first half of ESB is horrendously not naturalistic.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

It's made 500-600M worldwide at this point

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

It’s thematically amazing. It’s just great. It’s Lucas to the Lucas power

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Movie overall is pure trash, but the pod race sequence is very good.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

TPM still has spielbergian pacing which even puts me off and I can usually handle a slow movie.

Lucas speeds it up to modern standards in episode 2.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Are we talking about the bad droid factory part or the bad green screen Colosseum part?

From the start of the Colosseum up until Dooku flies off.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Prequels good. Attack of the Clones is like what if we spent a hundred million dollars to make a quirky arthouse film only with action scenes. It's a movie where a kung fu goblin fights Dracula, and it's played as high drama. Who would ever make something like that? The answer is virtually nobody, so audiences are unused to it.

Accepting a movie for what it is, rather than feeling confusion and frustration by trying to read it as what it is not, makes it possible to enjoy movies as bad even as The Rise of Skywalker (but not much worse than that), and find and savor what merit is in them.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Attack of the clones also has an EXTENDED film noir segment complete with Blade Runner homage. It’s totally wild.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

porfiria posted:

Han in Empire is a tremendous negging creep who ignores all of Leia's attempts to get him to respect any kind of boundaries. Her immediate reaction when 3PO interrupts Han forcing a kiss on her is to run the gently caress away. The only reason why it doesn't come off horribly is because 1980 Harrison Ford is incredibly attractive and charming and Kirshner directs everything to be sympathetic to him in spite of the actual action.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean can you imagine JJ abrams pulling off a film noir chapter in his fast food mimicry. He can do Spielberg on speed that’s it

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The pod racing game on N64 was THE poo poo.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Animal-Mother posted:

The pod racing game on N64 was THE poo poo.

Make a VR pod racing game you cowards

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

porfiria posted:

I feel like this gets at people's real problem with the scene however: at this point in the story, he's not her husband. They basically met 48 hours ago. I think it's less that people are shocked that she's okay with murder than that she's okay with ultra violence from this random dude she just met. You can substitute Sand People with Cliegg Lars's ratty old couch and it's still a pretty weird scene.

That’s the same kind of blanket moral rejection: Padme shouldn’t fall in love with this guy, right?

But seeing Anakin in pain, coping with PTSD or whatever, is precisely what attracts her to him - to such a degree that they do get married at the end of the film. Whether she should marry Anakin is irrelevant, because she does. They genuinely love eachother, which leads to enormous violence.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Shiroc posted:

Han in Empire is a tremendous negging creep who ignores all of Leia's attempts to get him to respect any kind of boundaries. Her immediate reaction when 3PO interrupts Han forcing a kiss on her is to run the gently caress away. The only reason why it doesn't come off horribly is because 1980 Harrison Ford is incredibly attractive and charming and Kirshner directs everything to be sympathetic to him in spite of the actual action.

idk Leia seems pretty into it the whole movie

now that love scene in Blade Runner, there’s some super rapey poo poo that only kind of plays because it’s Harrison Ford

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Mandrel posted:

idk Leia seems pretty into it the whole movie

now that love scene in Blade Runner, there’s some super rapey poo poo that only kind of plays because it’s Harrison Ford

Idk I kinda thought the rapiness was intentional. The idea of two automatons having these kinds of interactions is definitely thought provoking. Or maybe the script is just a mess idk.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

euphronius posted:

It was the effect Lucas was intending as a genre hallmark. He’s said this. Many people have said it. It’s clear 100x. It’s obvious he can get “non flat” performance from actors when he wants to. He intended her to be flat. People growing up with Tarantino don’t expect it or think it’s “right” to have non “naturalistic” readings but cinematic history is vast and “naturalistic” acting is one branch. It’s not right or wrong

"Actually I meant for the acting in my movie to be lovely, which means I did a great job."

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I liked that the first thing Lando did when he showed up was shoot a cop in the face.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
harrison ford did the creepy "i'll take a stab in the dark and force this woman to have sex with me lol" in blade runner and it was creepy then too
edit: ^beaten like a replicant runaway

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sinteres posted:

"Actually I meant for the acting in my movie to be lovely, which means I did a great job."

I got bad news about the OT series.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Schwarzwald posted:

I got bad news about the OT series.

I know, right? Star wars has never featured the kind of acting or dialogue fans are always demanding to see.

They're pretty good within context of the fantasy genre, but still. Tension lmao

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

ATC is a buddy cop movie/crime drama/love story/ war flick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Schwarzwald posted:

From the start of the Colosseum up until Dooku flies off.

It's incredible. I love the when the gunships lift off, you get your first view of the huge battle unfolding outside the colosseum, and the ships' rockets click into place to punctuate the moment.