Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Pat's blog where he recounts tale of his restaurant opening and the never-ending battle with various contractors is just such a pure distillation of Pat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people

Pershing posted:

This is probably old news to most of y'all but I just heard it for the first time and loved it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTlzUpmp8sY

That song was listed on the bottom of every page for most of its existence

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Phy posted:

'Stad on Apprentice-era Trump:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

SacrificialGoat posted:

That song was listed on the bottom of every page for most of its existence

"Chris Onstad is married to Liz Enthusiasm" was definitely a rumor I remember of the time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jet Jaguar posted:

Pat's blog where he recounts tale of his restaurant opening and the never-ending battle with various contractors is just such a pure distillation of Pat.

His grudge about Supercross was weird and instantly something I agreed with growing up in upstate NY.

Spotify's Discover playlist gave me a song that was the same as a dearly departed mexican restaurant near me, and also had a music video that was definitely hecho in mexico.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyCEexG9xjw

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Pershing posted:

This is probably old news to most of y'all but I just heard it for the first time and loved it.

I've heard a shorter version, and before that, an even shorter one, never heard this long one!

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

A lot of Achewood is timeless but nothing so firmly plants it in the early 2000s like having two songs about it written by Freezepop and MC Frontalot

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Achewood is also a very very difficult comic strip to introduce someone to. For many other web comics there are a couple of strips which you can just send to about anyone and they'll get it.

With Achewood I haven't found many such candidates yet because most of the real good ones rely on you knowing the characters and the world. "You can do whatever you want in life" is one of my go-tos but even that doesn't REALLY represent Achewood.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Ray jumping the motorcycle over the mountain was the strip that started me off on Achewood. After that I think I got linked to the Great Outdoor Fight arc which is also pretty self contained and after that I was hooked.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I get more mileage out of "The end. No moral." than one might think.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04032006

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I started from The Party and moved on from there, I dunno you either like Achewood or you don't it feels like? A useful statement I know.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Pershing posted:

omg <3 <3 <3 flashbacks to a particularly good summer, like, 15 years ago

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

MikeCrotch posted:

I started from The Party and moved on from there, I dunno you either like Achewood or you don't it feels like? A useful statement I know.

Yeah definitely. But I mean, the original Achewood strips are so unlike what the strip turned into that they're not very representative at all (well I mean, they kinda are because it's still Onstad's voice, but the characters are so different) that I seriously don't know where to start people off.

And one of my favourite gags in Achewood was the idea that Todd messed up his taxes so bad that he almost got lethal injection. It's one of those ideas that is just so loving ludicrous that it cracks me up every time I think of it, which is often.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I started with the Nightlife Mingus "I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome" strip. Which is fitting because at the time I was in college, smoking a lot of weed, and listening to a lot of Mingus.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Der Shovel posted:

And one of my favourite gags in Achewood was the idea that Todd messed up his taxes so bad that he almost got lethal injection. It's one of those ideas that is just so loving ludicrous that it cracks me up every time I think of it, which is often.

Plus he has that two panel tattoo of KISS going to the grocery store and comparing their you-know-whats to yams

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Phy posted:

'Stad on Apprentice-era Trump:

Donald Trump “sitting on a big rotating leather La-Z-Boy at the exact center of America, jacking off” is the most perfect description of his presidency ever written, a decade before it even began

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Deathlove posted:

"Chris Onstad is married to Liz Enthusiasm" was definitely a rumor I remember of the time.
She seems nice, that would have been nice for him (but I assume he is happy with his current wife?)

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Please link the fried thighs recipe from Peter Cropes.

I will definitely use Old Bay.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Nice Pete's Fried Chicken

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Whenever I hear/read the words “water feature”, I cannot help but think “those are so hard to contain properly”

From that strip where Ray was trying to get Beed to come down from the moon by lying about having set up a model train setup.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

You rule.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

"set to be released this month" :lol:

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
May 13, 2010's recipe is chicken.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Because I don't want to faff about with multiple coatings or buttermilk when I want fried chicken, the nice pete method is the only type I make with any regularity. I'm sure it's not the world's greatest but it does offer good return on investment. I have it printed out and stuffed into a little duotang alongside recipes from my mom. On one of the printouts I also wrote down a recipe for Red Lobster style biscuits, in case I feel like just absolutely making GBS threads all over my arteries that evening.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

It totally turned out and was so simple. I'll be making that again.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I should try this out sometime. I tend to go pretty overboard when I fry chicken but it turns out really good. I do an overnight buttermilk / pickle juice brine, and then the day of I'll sous vide the meat and pop it in the fridge. From there, I do a double-dredge of buttermilk and flour, and since the chicken is already cooked I can get the coating to the perfect texture without having to worry about overcooking the meat. Take 'em out of the fryer, apply salt, and enjoy. (I once did a triple-dredge, which was stupidly indulgent and oh-so-delicious)

I realize that Nice Pete would probably murder me out of principle for this.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Necronomicon posted:

I realize that Nice Pete would probably murder me out of principle for this.

Nice Pete is an odious man with questionable tastes regarding chicken cuts and their preparation. Dude sucks.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Dick posted:

Nice Pete is an odious man with questionable tastes regarding chicken cuts and their preparation. Dude sucks.

GUY'S A DOUCHE

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
The tickle harvest is also another great phrase that I have no idea what it is supposed to entail.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
I always pictured it as tickling the inmates until they puke up the drugs

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

csammis posted:

I always pictured it as tickling the inmates until they puke up the drugs

It's this.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

From the comments section

quote:

Take no truck with this man's claims. Peter H. Cropes' only lawful claim is to a meager birthright on the narrow, leaf-cluttered trail of an aimless lineage. The trail is cut through the heavy, wild woods in which his forebears have bred, openly, heedlessly, in moonlight, as the animal urge took them, frantic and fearful as the small mammals of the forest, their tiny hearts fluttering out the beats of a short and meaningless existence. To mix Lawry's (which, I admit, will work in a pinch) with Old Bay is to take after the fashion of the city dwellers, when they mix baking soda into their cocaine. To add weight but not substance, in the name of profit, in the face of a quality drug experience. To the best of us, fried chicken is as a drug. We will do what we must to protect it.

-Pete's Enemy

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Onstad is coward who clearly doesn't even smoke crack.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ray on Roast Beef's writing:

quote:

Me and the fellows would even talk sometimes, when he wasn't around, about his funny lines or the certain way he had used an uncommon but normal word, like "scrounge." He would use a word like this against a backdrop of incredibly simple language, kind of like the word was a lovely red hat or screaming blue policeman in the center of a pure white gymnasium. You could tell the dude liked to type and trot out words like they were unexpected steaks in a communist building. Anyhow.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
He's definitely right about seasoning the meat and not the flour.

Throwing salt and pepper on your chicken the night before is a good idea. A lot of people believe in pickle brine. It works because it's brine. You can put vinegar and garlic in your brine if you want.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Halloween Jack posted:

You can put vinegar and garlic in your brine if you want.

You can do whatever you want in life :hmmyes:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Spotted this at Taco Bell today

My mind immediately goes to:

Dude you sampled like fifty items from Taco Bell man your body is totally in sodium chloride shock right now

Your kidneys probably look like a fast-forwarded little video of two accordions

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

"his love hose turned to gentle ribbon" is timeless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

"I have never heard of someone using tequila so selfishly."