Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Suspect Bucket posted:

Very Wes Anderson

Or the road to wellville

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
May I present you with the most extra home I've seen in a long rear end time? https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/310-Ball-Park-Loop-Denison-TX-75020/242626050_zpid/

A teaser:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mocking Bird posted:

May I present you with the most extra home I've seen in a long rear end time? https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/310-Ball-Park-Loop-Denison-TX-75020/242626050_zpid/

A teaser:

It took me way too long to notice that is a bathroom.

What's the deal with doing all that, and then just getting a bog standard white toilet? Not red not gold, just whatever was on sale that week at home Depot.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

bog standard white toilet

:golfclap:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Facebook Aunt posted:

What's the deal with doing all that, and then just getting a bog standard white toilet? Not red not gold, just whatever was on sale that week at home Depot.

It's a memento mori, except about making GBS threads. Memento caca?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Actually kind of a bummer that at least one, maybe two of the bedrooms look depressingly plain. Overall impression: I surprisingly don’t hate it—it would be kind of like living in the Addams family house. I think I could deal with that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Facebook Aunt posted:

It took me way too long to notice that is a bathroom.

best thing about that bathroom, apart from the presidential paintings, is the door that doesn't close but is just an archway

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BeatmeisterJ

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Those are some sumptuous pooping accommodations.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Mocking Bird posted:

A teaser:

I think I posted this house (or a similar house with presidential portraits in the bathroom) waaaaaaay back in the thread. It's been for sale for ages and they don't seem to want to budge on the price.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

best thing about that bathroom, apart from the presidential paintings, is the door that doesn't close but is just an archway

They're pocket doors. The one on the right is just barely closed enough to see the handle.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Motronic posted:

They're pocket doors. The one on the right is just barely closed enough to see the handle.

That dual pocket doorway definitely dates the house as old-timey, which makes that white throne even more incongruous stupid.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

What color were toliets during the civil war anyway ?

P sure white or wood.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

value-brand cereal posted:

Sorry, I have no source for this other than a tumblr anime blog, but I really like it. Other than those hideously mismatched tiles, I really love the tilework. I'm not a huge fan of the basic subway tile on the lower half of the walls, but it does give a neutral place to rest the eyes on. I wish I had a pic of the stained glass window wall. I assume this is british due to the weird rear end toilet tanks up on the wall.

I somewhat enjoy cleaning my bathroom. Getting the room in this picture clean would be some kind of personal hell-level punishment.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PRADA SLUT posted:

eclecticism is 'what if I had a bunch of clashing colors / patterns / silhouettes', maximalism is 'what if I had a bunch of everything, covering every surface and stuffed to the brim', though the maximalist / eclectic overlap is large

Pulling this back because I found an example of more minimalist eclecticism. There's a lot of clashing styles, but spread across much fewer elements so you can really take in the contrasts.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

That bird would be nightmare fuel for a kids bedroom

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m the enormous gilded mug of poison.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

there wolf posted:

Pulling this back because I found an example of more minimalist eclecticism. There's a lot of clashing styles, but spread across much fewer elements so you can really take in the contrasts.

That looks like something I should enjoy, but all of the elements together just give me an ominous vibe. The doll, the POISON mug, the bird, the spindly and severe furniture, the rocking horse-- this is some kinda cabin from whence children never return.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Who's honking now?!

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

May I request ideas for how to cram stuff neatly into a small bathroom? We moved into this apartment a month ago and our bathroom is still a disaster because stuff has nowhere to go.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Search for expandable undersink organizers and suction cup hanging baskets. Heavy stuff goes on the shelves, light stuff goes in the baskets.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

evobatman posted:

I somewhat enjoy cleaning my bathroom. Getting the room in this picture clean would be some kind of personal hell-level punishment.

It's all tile and steel. You could practically turn a hose on it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

untitled goose room

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

Hutla posted:

Search for expandable undersink organizers and suction cup hanging baskets. Heavy stuff goes on the shelves, light stuff goes in the baskets.

Any tips on identifying suction cups that won't slowly lose their grip? I had a suction cup toothbrush holder for a while, until I got fed up with finding my toothbrush on the floor once a month or so.

I'd really like to get a fitted cabinet under the sink so that there wouldn't be a level surface between the sink and the cabinet to accumulate clutter.

I'm not too keen on having to get a plumber to swap out the old sink though, so I need to figure out a way to trace the underside of the sink first. I figured I might find something suitable at a hardware store once I have a template to compare to.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I had the same issue with suction cups. I got some 3m Command hooks instead. They hold mesh baskets and the like. Not had any of them fail after 3 years now in a regular bathroom with dampness from showers.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

there wolf posted:

I see how that could work but also even the slightest mess or clutter with that type of design would make it all look really bad really quickly.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

I'm not too keen on having to get a plumber to swap out the old sink though, so I need to figure out a way to trace the underside of the sink first. I figured I might find something suitable at a hardware store once I have a template to compare to.
Please let me know if you figure this out!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Supradog posted:

I had the same issue with suction cups. I got some 3m Command hooks instead. They hold mesh baskets and the like. Not had any of them fail after 3 years now in a regular bathroom with dampness from showers.

Same. The hooks work great.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

You could also try using some hot glue on the suction cups to help them stick better.

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009

Mocking Bird posted:

A teaser:

The estate is fantastic but can you imagine having to pack all the interior crap? All those fidgety bits that are breakable and odd sizes and shapes. And whatever the new owner puts in will always look odd.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

That70sHeidi posted:

The estate is fantastic but can you imagine having to pack all the interior crap? All those fidgety bits that are breakable and odd sizes and shapes. And whatever the new owner puts in will always look odd.

Obviously you have to pay extra and get it with furnishings included. There's no point pooping in that room if dead presidents aren't watching.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

I'd really like to get a fitted cabinet under the sink so that there wouldn't be a level surface between the sink and the cabinet to accumulate clutter.

If I'm understanding what you want to do, the best way I know isn't particularly elegant but it is a quick and accurate way to get a template of irregular spaces:

1. Get a large-ish piece of cardboard;
2. Cut slots on one long side to allow you to slide the cardboard over the drainpipe and the water lines under the sink;
3, Slide the cardboard under the sink, flat against the lower rim;
4. Use a sharpie marker to trace the outline of the sink on your cardboard; and
5. Measure the distance from the floor to the cardboard.

It helps to have a second person there to hold the cardboard in place while you draw the outline and measure the height.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

May I request ideas for how to cram stuff neatly into a small bathroom? We moved into this apartment a month ago and our bathroom is still a disaster because stuff has nowhere to go.

Oof!
What is that silver table? in the left corner, and that white box under the sink?

You need to think vertical. Skinny drawers between the sink and washer. Is the washer magnetic? You can stick a lot of shampoo bottle baskets on that surface.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

TofuDiva posted:

If I'm understanding what you want to do, the best way I know isn't particularly elegant but it is a quick and accurate way to get a template of irregular spaces:

1. Get a large-ish piece of cardboard;
2. Cut slots on one long side to allow you to slide the cardboard over the drainpipe and the water lines under the sink;
3, Slide the cardboard under the sink, flat against the lower rim;
4. Use a sharpie marker to trace the outline of the sink on your cardboard; and
5. Measure the distance from the floor to the cardboard.

It helps to have a second person there to hold the cardboard in place while you draw the outline and measure the height.
Thanks, but this isn't quite what I need. I need some way to check how the top panel on a cabinet like this fits the underside of the sink.

I'm currently looking into building some kind of pantograph to trace a profile of the sink.

peanut posted:

What is that silver table? in the left corner, and that white box under the sink?
The silver table is an Ikea grundtal trolley and currently the only piece of storage furniture in the bathroom. It's honestly pretty great, fits the wall like a glove.

The white item is a plastic tub that really should be somewhere outside the bathroom.

peanut posted:

You need to think vertical. Skinny drawers between the sink and washer. Is the washer magnetic? You can stick a lot of shampoo bottle baskets on that surface.
Magnetic baskets are a pretty novel idea, I'll have to keep an eye out for those.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

nerp

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Cross quoting this post. It's the library mentioned a page back, you know, the 24 million one?

Powered Descent posted:

Found a few more picture's of Cornell's new hell library for the thread's enjoyment.

Yeah, the floor gratings are pretty dang open.

I know someone with acrophobia who can't handle the kind of stairs that have an open space between the steps where a vertical riser normally goes, because they cause her to lose her sense of being on solid ground. This would be absolutely paralyzing.

"Let's see, what overall aesthetic theme should we go for? Hey, I know! The kill floor of a slaughterhouse!"

"But we still need something to give it a homey touch, to offset the clanging, echoing industrial feel... That's it! Chicken wire! Exposed chicken wire everywhere!"

e: One more:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Thanks, but this isn't quite what I need. I need some way to check how the top panel on a cabinet like this fits the underside of the sink.

That's not a thing that's likely to be useful. You presumably have a free standing sink. Sinks made to go into basin cabinets are a different thing, and finished differently (less). They are also attached to the wall differently (i.e., not at all in a cabinet). The cabinet you linked sure does look like it's for a wall-mounted sink but........

Is there a reason you are opposed to buying a vanity cabinet with a sink? You can choose a close or wide spread sink/cabinet as appropriate to re-use your existing faucet. This should not be a significant additional cost. And it's not likely you can just "slip" a vanity underneath it anyway. You would still need to remove and replace all of the plumbing to fit it.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 28, 2019

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

value-brand cereal posted:

Cross quoting this post. It's the library mentioned a page back, you know, the 24 million one?

Ok I retract my previous post, this is not a book warehouse, it's a book jail.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Is there some kind of regulation that requires you to use a plumber, because swapping a sink is pretty easy to DIY. Otherwise you could buy one of these irregular shape measuring tools. Or draw a rectangle with the right width, height, and depth of the front of the sink, eyeball the curve and cut out a template. Mark on the bottom of your sink where the edge of the cabinet is going to hit the bowl, and put the template up against it, filling in and big gaps with tape; make a second template off the modifications if you need to. That should give you something close enough to buy a cabinet with. You can use caulk or wood glue to fill any small gaps between the sink bottom and vanity.

Also get some baskets to set on that shelf in front of the mirror so you have somewhere to put what you aren't going to keep in a drawer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Use a joggle stick to trace its shape