Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Roasted Donut posted:

russy needs some heckin chonko woofers

So they’re Ciara’s type?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
All I want is a wide receiver better than Randy Moss who's 6'6 250 and runs a 4.3 40 and never gets hurt and I want him in the 5th round or later, plus his identical twin brother.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Play posted:

My friends, I have amazing news. He just does both of these things, and just does many more things on top of that

I like mocking football cliches as much as the next guy, but what you want in a first round player is someone who makes other NFL-bound players look like incompetent fools. Lamb seems to do that regularly. Plus he's got a great wide receiver name

Jerry is also a good wr name

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Roasted Donut posted:

russy needs some heckin chonko woofers

Kelvin Benjamin is available.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
DK Metcalf has been great but with Gordon suspended the hawks only have 2 good receivers.

Seattle needs to get another big and good WR this draft. Probably with one of its top three picks.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Josh Allen needs those Super Chonks more than Seattle

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Bigass Moth posted:

All I want is a wide receiver better than Randy Moss who's 6'6 250 and runs a 4.3 40 and never gets hurt and I want him in the 5th round or later, plus his identical twin brother.

The last Madden I bought was like this. Late round 6'5 95 speed monsters in the 6th. They'd have like 50 release and route running so their overall would be garbage. Thing is those skills are trivially easy to level so every other team would have these early round 5'10 dudes and I'd have 4 muscle-Mosses punking everyone with non-stop go routes.

Basically football is easy and I don't understand why my team hasn't won the last 30 lombardi's.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

DK Metcalf has been great but with Gordon suspended the hawks only have 2 good receivers.

Seattle needs to get another big and good WR this draft. Probably with one of its top three picks.

They also need a new LB, D-line and O-line since Ifedi's contract is up. I feel like shoring up defense should be a priority here.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I never understand why people think more receivers = better team. QBs can only do so many reads. There's plenty of QBs who have had 1 good receiver and that's it and still lit up the NFL.

I highly doubt that the Seahawks go for another one in the first.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Doltos posted:

I never understand why people think more receivers = better team. QBs can only do so many reads. There's plenty of QBs who have had 1 good receiver and that's it and still lit up the NFL.

are you saying that QBs....aren't the best?!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Doltos posted:

Because you create a nightmare scenario for the defense. Yeah there's guys who can be good with just one. But then that one guy could have a bad day or be well-covered by a top CB. That's when it really pays to have that strong 2nd or 3rd option who can also cause big problems for the defense.

So to me if the best player available is a receiver and you already have one that's really good it makes a lot of sense to take that extra receiver. Maybe you shouldn't reach for one. But that's true in most cases.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FizFashizzle posted:

are you saying that QBs....aren't the best?!

It's a team effort.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kawalimus posted:

Because you create a nightmare scenario for the defense. Yeah there's guys who can be good with just one. But then that one guy could have a bad day or be well-covered by a top CB. That's when it really pays to have that strong 2nd or 3rd option who can also cause big problems for the defense.

So to me if the best player available is a receiver and you already have one that's really good it makes a lot of sense to take that extra receiver. Maybe you shouldn't reach for one. But that's true in most cases.

That's a good point but I'll invoke the You Can Find Them Later argument that everyone's allowed to make once and only once itt

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Doltos posted:

Rodgers has a top 10 receiver and mostly camp bodies at the other positions.

Compare to 2011 when he had five starting caliber receivers.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

seiferguy posted:

They also need a new LB, D-line and O-line since Ifedi's contract is up. I feel like shoring up defense should be a priority here.

Yeah but this FA class is rich with DL.

Draft OLx2 and a WR with the top picks, draft defense with the rest, sign some good FA DLs.

Wham bam so easy.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Doltos posted:

That's a good point but I'll invoke the You Can Find Them Later argument that everyone's allowed to make once and only once itt

Are we still automatically applying this to running backs this year?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

RB might be the goon favorite position for not drafting in the first round but it really should be WR

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

hifi posted:

RB might be the goon favorite position for not drafting in the first round but it really should be WR

And I don't really agree about not drafting an RB. I think if you can take any draft pick and look at them and think you can get very strong years out of him on his rookie contract....it makes perfect sense to take one there. Now resigning for a big deal? I can see why you might not. But there's nothing wrong with taking one if you think he's going to produce at a high level.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
BPA is pretty much the only way to draft but at some point you reach your limit on how much first round capital you put into a position. If I have two good WRs I'm probably not going after a third one in the first round unless onese coming into a big contract I can't afford or is retiring soon.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

hifi posted:

If the Bengals had drafted a baggageless Mixon with a first rounder I'd have been down.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Doltos posted:

It's the same argument as any other position or position group, you're trying to double-down on strengths. Sometimes it does end up being an inefficient waste of resources, but sometime you're leveraging that thing you do well into an identity that's going to propel the team. There's different styles of football there, though- if you've got the one good receiver, it makes sense to feature them and run a bunch of isolation routes. If you've got multiple guys, it opens up your ability to do targeted damage on concepts.

I don't understand why 4-WR sets have gone out of fashion in the modern NFL. Everyone out there is doing 11 personnel instead, and I don't think the personnel really makes sense to explain it. How many teams have a TE which is really a genuine mismatch? There are very few guys who are comparable to wide receivers as pass catcher AND all that challenging to defenses in terms of creating an additional gap. I mean a significant portion of the time you're just better off not challenging the defense with another gap if you're going to both lose it a significant portion of the time AND field a worse receiver.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
For that I assume it’s because even a lovely TE can perform against a less optimal defense ie TE blocking against a Dime is more successful than a team going 4 against a Dime. So basically keeping the defense honest against the pass and run is better than letting the defense sell out against the pass/run.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Kawalimus posted:

And I don't really agree about not drafting an RB. I think if you can take any draft pick and look at them and think you can get very strong years out of him on his rookie contract....it makes perfect sense to take one there. Now resigning for a big deal? I can see why you might not. But there's nothing wrong with taking one if you think he's going to produce at a high level.

Pay a vet RB you have already seen produce at a high level less than/similarly as what 1st round rookie RB would get. A rookie contract for an RB isn't a value, so who cares if you get strong years on a rookie contract or a vet contract.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Catfish Noodlin posted:

How many teams have a TE which is really a genuine mismatch?

I guess I look at it the other way. How often is your #4 reciever a bigger threat than your #1 TE?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hand Row posted:

For that I assume it’s because even a lovely TE can perform against a less optimal defense ie TE blocking against a Dime is more successful than a team going 4 against a Dime. So basically keeping the defense honest against the pass and run is better than letting the defense sell out against the pass/run.

Yeah it's this. Your #4 WR is going to be garbage at blocking. Your #1 TE is going to be passable at catching and potentially really good at blocking. The DC has to decide quick whether to sell out against the pass or assign a player to occupy the TE.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Catfish Noodlin posted:

It's the same argument as any other position or position group, you're trying to double-down on strengths. Sometimes it does end up being an inefficient waste of resources, but sometime you're leveraging that thing you do well into an identity that's going to propel the team. There's different styles of football there, though- if you've got the one good receiver, it makes sense to feature them and run a bunch of isolation routes. If you've got multiple guys, it opens up your ability to do targeted damage on concepts.

I don't understand why 4-WR sets have gone out of fashion in the modern NFL. Everyone out there is doing 11 personnel instead, and I don't think the personnel really makes sense to explain it. How many teams have a TE which is really a genuine mismatch? There are very few guys who are comparable to wide receivers as pass catcher AND all that challenging to defenses in terms of creating an additional gap. I mean a significant portion of the time you're just better off not challenging the defense with another gap if you're going to both lose it a significant portion of the time AND field a worse receiver.

If you pass constantly the defense is going to adapt and take advantage of having 4 WRs out there. Your 11th guy is either a TE or a HB which makes it easier for coordinators to gameplan around. Specifically sending two blitzers down the A gap against this lineup is what made it fall out of style. It allowed defenses to stack a hole with two options for the blitzing linebackers pretty much ignoring whatever strong side the offense was trying to set up with that 5th guy. QB's under 6 man pressure, 5 guys are covering 4 WRs, and all of a sudden the QB either has to check down or throw against a roving safety. This forces offensive coordinators to go into drag routes and curls and all of a sudden the covering DBs have it a lot easier predicting routes. Plus if start falling behind this becomes tougher to deal with, essentially turning your passing attack into a running game.

You're right at the moment that double high safety is exploitable by throwing four WRs out there and teams still do it plenty, especially teams that feature stud special teamer WRs.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Jacob Eason's officially declared. I feel like this a bad idea - isn't he more of a fringe Day 2 / Day 3 prospect? He could easily go in the first round with a solid year next year.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Kirios posted:

Jacob Eason's officially declared. I feel like this a bad idea - isn't he more of a fringe Day 2 / Day 3 prospect? He could easily go in the first round with a solid year next year.

He's projected to be a late 1st / early 2nd and the 5th (ish, depending on who you ask) best QB available. He's probably hedging on the fact that he isn't sure if he will have a good year next year.

I think he has decent decision making and was hampered by bad receivers, so he's probably banking on scouts seeing that.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

I guess I look at it the other way. How often is your #4 reciever a bigger threat than your #1 TE?

I think much more often than is reflected on the field right now.

You're talking like, someone capable of producing more than like 300-400 yards as a 50%+ snap count player. You can throw a rock and hit that guy who isn't under a contract in the off-season and get that.

Doltos posted:

If you pass constantly the defense is going to adapt and take advantage of having 4 WRs out there. Your 11th guy is either a TE or a HB which makes it easier for coordinators to gameplan around. Specifically sending two blitzers down the A gap against this lineup is what made it fall out of style. It allowed defenses to stack a hole with two options for the blitzing linebackers pretty much ignoring whatever strong side the offense was trying to set up with that 5th guy. QB's under 6 man pressure, 5 guys are covering 4 WRs, and all of a sudden the QB either has to check down or throw against a roving safety. This forces offensive coordinators to go into drag routes and curls and all of a sudden the covering DBs have it a lot easier predicting routes. Plus if start falling behind this becomes tougher to deal with, essentially turning your passing attack into a running game.

You're right at the moment that double high safety is exploitable by throwing four WRs out there and teams still do it plenty, especially teams that feature stud special teamer WRs.

You don't have to pass consistently, though. Creating more gaps with your offensive formation doesn't make it easier to run the ball if you're not winning the gap, and I think my point is that teams should consider not creating those gaps if they're not likely to consistently win them.

I think it's certainly worth considering that the "run and shoot" was out there all day every day for the better part of two decades on the college and professional level and it was very hard to blitz. It out-lived Buddy Ryan and the 46 as a viable defensive philosophy, it out-lived a period of time where the size/strength difference between LBs and IOL were much smaller than today. Here's a good article by Chris Brown on why it survived the stuff you're describing:

http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2007/07/what-killed-run-and-shoot.html

quote:

The R&S used the RB in the protection. The quarterback would do a half-roll to one side, the line would do a kind of sprint-out/turnback protection, and the runningback would often block the defensive end or end man on the line of scrimmage to the half-roll side. About 8-10 times a game, however, the running back would block the DE for a 1001 count, and then slide off and release for a screen pass as his linemen got downfield to block for him. Against an all-out blitzing team, no one covered him because he had already engaged a defender, so everyone assumed he was in the protection, they would rush upfield, and the runningback would release out into the open field.

It becomes a study in game theory and reading and reacting. So defenses responded to this tactic. They had to keep at least one safety or another defender back to spy the RB. Why does this mean no blitzing? If the RB is able to block the end man on the line of scrimmage while another player must sit back and not blitz, simply to see whether or not the RB releases on a screen. The net result was that R&S teams rarely, if ever, saw Cover 0 blitzing man defenses. They could always release four receivers, block with six (assuming their six could block the other teams' six) and not face any overload blitzes.

He goes on to say that the zone blitz was really what killed the "run and shoot" as a viable offense, but I think the thing is that you can't really be a zone blitz team in 2020. Old school, spot-drop style zone coverage is not a viable every-down tactic vs. a lot of the league right now, and that's even without trying to drop linemen to do it. I don't think you're going to start teaching defensive linemen how to suddenly read route patterns, and trust them to switch their coverages on the fly and the like. There's also so much stuff that's been developed for spread offenses since that time.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Kirios posted:

His actual value is likely 2nd round.

But he’s a tall white boy with a cannon. Gonna get snagged in the first. We live in a world where people draft Mitch and Josh Allen in the top 10. He definitely has a chance to be a good starter.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Catfish Noodlin posted:

You don't have to pass consistently, though. Creating more gaps with your offensive formation doesn't make it easier to run the ball if you're not winning the gap, and I think my point is that teams should consider not creating those gaps if they're not likely to consistently win them.

I think it's certainly worth considering that the "run and shoot" was out there all day every day for the better part of two decades on the college and professional level and it was very hard to blitz. It out-lived Buddy Ryan and the 46 as a viable defensive philosophy, it out-lived a period of time where the size/strength difference between LBs and IOL were much smaller than today. Here's a good article by Chris Brown on why it survived the stuff you're describing:

http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2007/07/what-killed-run-and-shoot.html

Many coaches have practiced that idea throughout the years by running away from defenders or setting up different blocking schemes for those gaps. I don't know how much that translates to running 4 wrs a lot.

Run and shoot being hard to blitz and it outliving the 46 are two different lines of discussion. Run and shoot is of course harder to blitz because you're fielding 4 CBs against 4 WRs and probably a LB or a safety on the RB which will limit the amount of pass rushers. Receivers are also motioning so much in the backfield that you have to change coverage and rushing packages a lot. What killed the 46 was pretty much any strong passing attack offense. Teams were starting to kill it before the 90s appeared. What I'm describing isn't the 46 defense at all. It's simply a blitz package that a lot of different defenses utilize against teams that are constantly passing.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Doltos posted:

Many coaches have practiced that idea throughout the years by running away from defenders or setting up different blocking schemes for those gaps. I don't know how much that translates to running 4 wrs a lot.

Run and shoot being hard to blitz and it outliving the 46 are two different lines of discussion. Run and shoot is of course harder to blitz because you're fielding 4 CBs against 4 WRs and probably a LB or a safety on the RB which will limit the amount of pass rushers. Receivers are also motioning so much in the backfield that you have to change coverage and rushing packages a lot. What killed the 46 was pretty much any strong passing attack offense. Teams were starting to kill it before the 90s appeared. What I'm describing isn't the 46 defense at all. It's simply a blitz package that a lot of different defenses utilize against teams that are constantly passing.

I'm bringing up the 46 because I think the underlying premise is pretty similar to the double A-gap stuff- it's a pressure look where all the offensive linemen are covered. It's a little bit different in who can drop, but I think it's similar in many respects from it's ability to overload and limit some protection stuff you'd do.

I think you're a little premature on the double A-gap stuff, my understanding was that was really a Mike Zimmer thing that came about when everyone in the league started running 11 personnel in the mid 2000's. It's hard for that to match up with 10 personnel because you're just on the face of it running a defensive package not matching the offensive package.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I'm bringing up the 46 because I think the underlying premise is pretty similar to the double A-gap stuff- it's a pressure look where all the offensive linemen are covered. It's a little bit different in who can drop, but I think it's similar in many respects from it's ability to overload and limit some protection stuff you'd do.

I think you're a little premature on the double A-gap stuff, my understanding was that was really a Mike Zimmer thing that came about when everyone in the league started running 11 personnel in the mid 2000's. It's hard for that to match up with 10 personnel because you're just on the face of it running a defensive package not matching the offensive package.

Not even close. Like I said doubling up the A gap works in a bunch of different defenses. You can see it in single high safety like the 46 but you can pretty much run it out of any base set that has multiple players in the box. The 46 features three DBs which is like the exact opposite of what you run against 4 WRs.

The double a gap stuff has been around for a while but Bill Belichick really took it to the next level. He loves that more than anything and then we kinda stole it from him in the 07 super bowl. Anyway that's just one thing that counters 4 WRs. You can simply run a 3-5 with heavy zone in the area of the field the offense is trying to get to, IE in short yardage situations you cloud up 5-8ish yards down the field and in long yardage you cloud up near the first down marker. You could do heavy press with a blitz like the Ravens do a lot. I think your argument is more in line with why don't teams do this more and I think the basic answer to that is that they have been but it's not the end all be all formation. Maybe in college but definitely not in the NFL.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Zimmee kind of perfected it in his first few years with the Vikings.

It's also predicated on having very very athletic LBs and FS so you can still drop into coverage if you arent blitzing.

Nowadays its pretty rare for MIN to show it, and it was always more to change the Oline protection to get more favorable pass rushing options / create confusion.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Doltos posted:

Not even close. Like I said doubling up the A gap works in a bunch of different defenses. You can see it in single high safety like the 46 but you can pretty much run it out of any base set that has multiple players in the box. The 46 features three DBs which is like the exact opposite of what you run against 4 WRs.

The 46 defense isn't just the one specific formation- there's a bunch of variants, including a Nickel version. It's neither here nor there, but the 46 was a 4 DB package, it's literally named for the SS playing the box role w/ 2 CBs and the FS.

Doltos posted:

The double a gap stuff has been around for a while but Bill Belichick really took it to the next level. He loves that more than anything and then we kinda stole it from him in the 07 super bowl. Anyway that's just one thing that counters 4 WRs. You can simply run a 3-5 with heavy zone in the area of the field the offense is trying to get to, IE in short yardage situations you cloud up 5-8ish yards down the field and in long yardage you cloud up near the first down marker. You could do heavy press with a blitz like the Ravens do a lot. I think your argument is more in line with why don't teams do this more and I think the basic answer to that is that they have been but it's not the end all be all formation. Maybe in college but definitely not in the NFL.

I don't think it makes much sense, though. Defenses routinely drop out of those double A-gap mug looks against 11 if it's 2x2 or 3x1, and you're still not really putting anyone in that big of a bind- it's six potential rushers vs. six blockers. You pretty much would default have to go to single-high with a safety in direct coverage vs. a WR, and you're really still getting into zone blitz stuff where it starts to get tricky for an offense:

https://twitter.com/fduffy3/status/1155225495136591880

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have never had more fun watching football than I did watching Zimmer's defenses from 2009 to 2013. The 2013 defense in particular was just smothering. It was also nice back in 2011 when they had Thomas Howard and Manny Lawson. I've almost forgotten what it's like watching a team where linebacking isn't a sucking chest wound.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 27, 2019

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Catfish Noodlin posted:

The 46 defense isn't just the one specific formation- there's a bunch of variants, including a Nickel version. It's neither here nor there, but the 46 was a 4 DB package, it's literally named for the SS playing the box role w/ 2 CBs and the FS.

I don't think it makes much sense, though. Defenses routinely drop out of those double A-gap mug looks against 11 if it's 2x2 or 3x1, and you're still not really putting anyone in that big of a bind- it's six potential rushers vs. six blockers. You pretty much would default have to go to single-high with a safety in direct coverage vs. a WR, and you're really still getting into zone blitz stuff where it starts to get tricky for an offense:

https://twitter.com/fduffy3/status/1155225495136591880

The SS is so close to the line he's essentially a hybrid linebacker and indeed 46 defense paved the way for hybrid SS's that we know today. But with a single high safety and two CBs it's essentially 3 DBs but semantics.

Six rushers vs six blockers assumes the RB stays back. Even then that's a mismatch defenses want. Single high safety doesn't matter as much when the pressure's on, although yea it can backfire if the blitz is picked up effectively. You don't have invalid points, it's just that there's pros and cons to every set you run. The double a gap gets exposed if the opposing team is ahead since you essentially vacate the middle, it's also susceptible to off tackle actions. 4 WR sets are great if you're running a kgun offense and are ahead, or if you have the personnel to really beat blitz coverage. It just isn't too amazing when you're behind and the defense doesn't have to play the run.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

is burrow going to be the lowest rated #1 overall qb of the 2018 to 2020 drafts

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Is he rated lower than Goff/Wentz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
He’s definitely a better prospect then Goff and a higher floor than Wentz