Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Edit: here in Australia we had the exact same thing happen, and in the 1950s and 60s there was a move to create recipes that recreated "oriental" dishes with the ingredients people already had at home which is how we got the bizarre Australian version of chow mein. My mum used to cook that exact recipe (which she probably got from her mother) except in my family we called it suey min.
This was around in New Zealand in the 70s/ early 80s. I remember people bringing it to barbeques/ parties, though I never touched it because it looked alarming.
Due to the vagaries of the New Zealand accent I believed for about 15 years that it was called "Chicken Charmaine"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

How do you know I'm not Guy's friend

because goons don't have friends

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

slinkimalinki posted:

Due to the vagaries of the New Zealand accent I believed for about 15 years that it was called "Chicken Charmaine"

Reminds me of this bit in Flight Of The Conchords:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po9Z5yr9aU4

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

How do you know I'm not Guy's friend

You're not his friend, buddy!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You can multiply any binary number by two by adding a 0 to the right of it. And you can divide even binary numbers by two by removing the last 0. If the last digit isn't 0, you can't divide by two because the number is odd.

How I didn't learn or figure out this earlier I really don't know.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Jerry Cotton posted:

You can multiply any binary number by two by adding a 0 to the right of it. And you can divide even binary numbers by two by removing the last 0. If the last digit isn't 0, you can't divide by two because the number is odd.

How I didn't learn or figure out this earlier I really don't know.

Yeah, it's the same as with base 10 but, you know, for 2.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, it's the same as with base 10 but, you know, for 2.

You can't multiply any decimal number by 2 by adding a 0 to the right though? Or the other way around :confused:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Jerry Cotton posted:

You can't multiply any decimal number by 2 by adding a 0 to the right though? Or the other way around :confused:

You can multiply any base 10 number by 10 by adding a zero to the end.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Binary is two though, so ‘like you can in base 10, but with 2’

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I just realized that Lex Luthor from the Justice League cartoon kinda looks like he was modeled after his voice actor Clancy Brown. Coincidence? Probably.

https://i.imgur.com/JS91hFA.jpg

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Snake Maze posted:

You can multiply any base 10 number by 10 by adding a zero to the end.

It's there any base value where you don't multiply any number by the base value by adding a zero?

By that same logic any number is divided by the base value by removing a zero at the end, but the higher the base value the less likely the number is to end in a zero. Of course, all you're really doing is moving the decimal point over and dropping the zero after the decimal point.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

rydiafan posted:

It's there any base value where you don't multiply any number by the base value by adding a zero?

No, that's a mathematical property of all bases. (i haven't looked up if it still works with weird poo poo like bases that are negative, complex numbers, etc)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pneub posted:

I just realized that Lex Luthor from the Justice League cartoon kinda looks like he was modeled after his voice actor Clancy Brown. Coincidence? Probably.

https://i.imgur.com/JS91hFA.jpg

Telly Savelas was the inspiration according to the animators

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sweevo posted:

No, that's a mathematical property of all bases. (i haven't looked up if it still works with weird poo poo like bases that are negative, complex numbers, etc)

whoa i never thought about non-integral bases. just imagining them makes my brain feel weird

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Sweevo posted:

Exactly.

In base 10: 1 x 10 = 10

In base 2: 1 x 10 = 10
In base 16: 1 x 10 = 10

Or, converted to in base 10:

1x2^0 x 1x2^1 = 1x2^1
1x16^0 x 1x16^1 = 1x16^1

The exponent is the number of digits from the rightmost place.

e: if you want to talk nerdy binary fun: you can count to 15 on one hand. 255 on both hands. 1023 if you're dexterous enough to not need your thumb to hold fingers down.

ee: oops, went with 2 x whatever, but that doesn't demonstrate the point in base 2...

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 12:00 on Dec 15, 2019

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The song that goes ‘Put me in coach, I’m ready to play’ is not a random background noise song made for a baseball stadium by some lazy jackoff, it’s actually a very popular song by the guy that sang in CCR called ‘Centerfield’.

It remains the most vapid song I’ve ever heard in my life.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Captain Monkey posted:

The song that goes ‘Put me in coach, I’m ready to play’ is not a random background noise song made for a baseball stadium by some lazy jackoff, it’s actually a very popular song by the guy that sang in CCR called ‘Centerfield’.

I just found out it's not "Put me in cold, I'm ready to face the day". Thanks I guess.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I just realized that Willow, Labyrinth, and Dark Crystal aren't all the same thing. I guess I just lumped them all in as "creepy 80s puppet poo poo I stay far away from."

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Waiting until you find out Willow is a person with a long and storied career and not a puppet.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Captain Monkey posted:

Same and thanks for putting it in my head dammit

packetmantis posted:

I just realized that Willow, Labyrinth, and Dark Crystal aren't all the same thing. I guess I just lumped them all in as "creepy 80s puppet poo poo I stay far away from."

The Dark Crystal is is by far the creepiest of those, though it is quite good. The funny thing is my adult self got more skeeved by it when I gave it a spin awhile ago. It's exactly the kind of movie the PG-13 rating is for.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Hipster_Doofus posted:

The Dark Crystal is is by far the creepiest of those, though it is quite good. The funny thing is my adult self got more skeeved by it when I gave it a spin awhile ago. It's exactly the kind of movie the PG-13 rating is for.

Try watching the new series. The number of times I turned to the person watching with me in horror and we sarcastic quipped "you know, for kids!" was astounding.

Watching a puppet get covered in arterial spray as it bludgeons a helpless character you've known for the entire series to death sure is a thing you don't see often.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m not convinced that the Netflix series based on the popular 1980s puppet movie is for kids.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I just found out that "hard disk drive" refers only to those magnetic drives - with the literal metal disks in them - and that the term does not include SSDs.

I had always been thinking of SSDs as a subcategory of HDD. Sure they use chips instead of magnetic disks, but they're still a kind of hard disk drive, right? Nope, apparently not.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

They're both non-volatile memory but yes, SSDs are flash memory storage, compared to HDDs and their magnetic storage.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Tesseraction posted:

They're both non-volatile memory but yes, SSDs are flash memory storage, compared to HDDs and their magnetic storage.

Right. But I thought that any non-removable storage device was called a "hard disk", and that the term encompassed SSDs. Apparently that's not the case.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

It might not technically be correct, but at this point I'd say the term "hard disk" is generic enough that it does include SSDs.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

I'd agree with that. Or "hard drive," depending on what part of the world you're in.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
"Hard" drive as opposed to "floppy" drive is the way I learned it, back when the school's Apple IIE's and my family's 386 took 5-1/4 discs

I'll call an internal SSD a hard drive all day long because it lives in the chassis and does a hard drive's job

Which, I suspect, is also why 3.5 discs were "floppies" despite not being floppy at all

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Strictly speaking, HDDs and SSDs are both types of "fixed disks".

As a practical matter, caring about the distinction is like being the kind of person who uses "Datum" unironically.

Ninja Edit: Or "GNU/Linux".

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Phy posted:

"Hard" drive as opposed to "floppy" drive is the way I learned it, back when the school's Apple IIE's and my family's 386 took 5-1/4 discs

I'll call an internal SSD a hard drive all day long because it lives in the chassis and does a hard drive's job

Which, I suspect, is also why 3.5 discs were "floppies" despite not being floppy at all

It makes sense if hard/floppy refers to the magnetic media itself, ie the hard platters vs the floppy plastic, regardless of containment.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Random trivia: the SD card logo looks like it has an optical disc in it because they just re-used the logo from another failed format:

https://youtu.be/VeLvdE8lNW4

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Neito posted:

As a practical matter, caring about the distinction is like being the kind of person who uses "Datum" unironically.

I think the crucial bit is that an SSD is not a kind of HDD.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Pneub posted:

Random trivia: the SD card logo looks like it has an optical disc in it because they just re-used the logo from another failed format:

https://youtu.be/VeLvdE8lNW4

Well drat. Never once noticed that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Neito posted:

Is the G in GNU/Linux pronounced like the g in garage or the g in garage :thunk:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
It's the same as the g in champagne.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Ah, Ynu.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Well, I just screamed "WHAT?!" loud enough to wake the dead.

...finally, at age 34, I am a Triple Man.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Who?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Beth from Neighbours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A lot of hits were covers, especially in the sixties through eighties. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun is a cover, and the original is a bitchin' power pop tune. Same with Hanging On The Telephone.