Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Have been hearing a loud pop or bang almost like a coil spring settling from the front on start up. Today I left the car running for a few min when I came back the red ABC failure light was on. I restarted it and it went away. No leaks. I had just put snows in her too. The second I fix one thing on this car another thing goes. It's amazing. Planning on just getting the cheap eBay pump. Fuckit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Preoptopus posted:

The second I fix one thing on this car another thing goes. It's amazing. Planning on just getting the cheap eBay pump. Fuckit.

Like clockwork :clint:

e: I'm thinking the way I sell this is to say that the struts are on their last legs and the car is in the right shape to be converted to coilovers.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 2, 2019

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
"If your gonna develop a relationship with a car, its got to have human qualities, its gonna have faults" - Clarkson

At this point I am in love with this car where im prepared to spend a bunch of money and time making it work.
Ive never driven anything that makes me feel as special as this one.

edit:

kimbo305 posted:

Like clockwork :clint:

e: I'm thinking the way I sell this is to say that the struts are on their last legs and the car is in the right shape to be converted to coilovers.

Who sells coilovers for the ABC conversion? I see airmatic ones all over the place but have yet to find a reputable ABC retrofit.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Preoptopus posted:

"If your gonna develop a relationship with a car, its got to have human qualities, its gonna have faults" - Clarkson

At this point I am in love with this car where im prepared to spend a bunch of money and time making it work.
Ive never driven anything that makes me feel as special as this one.

Ahh yeah. This is familiar; I got like this with my W201.

By the end I was spending several hundred a month just keeping her on the road.

I should've bought shares in Bosch.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Preoptopus posted:

Have been hearing a loud pop or bang almost like a coil spring settling from the front on start up. Today I left the car running for a few min when I came back the red ABC failure light was on. I restarted it and it went away. No leaks. I had just put snows in her too. The second I fix one thing on this car another thing goes. It's amazing. Planning on just getting the cheap eBay pump. Fuckit.

Do not dismiss a leaky hose. I had the bang on cold start and it was a slightly leaky hose. You got the underbody shield so you don't see leaks.

It creates cavitation, sucks air in and combined with the front accumulator that was it.

Dual pump...that was more of a weird failure and there would be this constant ticking sound with it.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
The front right strut started piping on start up along with the left now. A distinctly new growl from the pump. I think I'm on borrowed time.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

ABC valve body?

edit: What do you mean by piping?

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 4, 2019

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Colostomy Bag posted:

ABC valve body?

edit: What do you mean by piping?

"popping"
Im getting regular ABC malfunction lights now, and if i leave it parked and idling, the almighty red "ABC FAILURE turn car off right now!" light comes on. But goes away when I start driving.
Suspension is super bouncy, i feel like its raised in the front. (i forgot who it was that mentioned same thing happend to him.)
How much time do I have?

Why are M5s keeping their value so much better!?

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Nov 8, 2019

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I'm going to go with, "because they don't have air suspension for 2000," Alex.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Preoptopus posted:

"popping"
Im getting regular ABC malfunction lights now, and if i leave it parked and idling, the almighty red "ABC FAILURE turn car off right now!" light comes on. But goes away when I start driving.
Suspension is super bouncy, i feel like its raised in the front. (i forgot who it was that mentioned same thing happend to him.)
How much time do I have?

Why are M5s keeping their value so much better!?

So what does DAS/blah blah say when doing a rodeo?

If I were you in your shoes, I would check the fluid to see if it were green. If green, toss on a new front accumulator. Relatively cheap and easy to find (front fenderwell, attached to the valve body.)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Crunchy Black posted:

Heh, doesn't have air.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Crunchy Black posted:

Air suspension is what the proletariat S-Class has. These have a hydropneumatic suspension licensed from Citroen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydropneumatic_suspension

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Preoptopus posted:

The front right strut started piping on start up along with the left now. A distinctly new growl from the pump. I think I'm on borrowed time.

Have you looked at sourcing a pump? I don't think they're in short supply or anything, but better to be able to jump on that replacement when it fails.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Yea I'm gonna do it. Looking at remanufactured ones from germany. It's just not the best time as I just got her some snow shoes. Need to recover a bit. Not sure how to read the dip stick. There are two notches. I just filled it to the second notch.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Picked it up tonight, only to spot this when I parked:

I have no idea what happened.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
Antenna cover came off. Dang son, that car is cursed.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

GPF posted:

Antenna cover came off. Dang son, that car is cursed.

Right, I know that there's a cover for the shark fin, but how the hell does it get loose?
The dealer hasn't been that responsive on email or phone, so I'm gonna go down in person tomorrow to ask if they can verify the state of the car when I left the garage on security footage.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Right, I know that there's a cover for the shark fin, but how the hell does it get loose?
The dealer hasn't been that responsive on email or phone, so I'm gonna go down in person tomorrow to ask if they can verify the state of the car when I left the garage on security footage.

Is that dirt/dust on the car that I see? I'd think you'd see an outline from where it was if it was from driving it home.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Worse than that... is that a wax line between the roof and rear window seal? Shameful.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Is that dirt/dust on the car that I see? I'd think you'd see an outline from where it was if it was from driving it home.

Oooooh, good point.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

It is a MB S-Class, trim will fall off.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

It is a MB S-Class, trim will fall off.

Thus far I have reason to believe W221s are using superior German adhesives. Nothing is loose or detached as of now!

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Tremek posted:

Thus far I have reason to believe W221s are using superior German adhesives. Nothing is loose or detached as of now!

I lost the bottom door trim in a car wash
80 bucks from the dealer that had plenty of en on the shelf.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Preoptopus posted:

I lost the bottom door trim in a car wash
80 bucks from the dealer that had plenty of en on the shelf.

Yep, lost all 4 door trims (well was able to recover two of them) when I saw them laying next to my car and my first thought was wtf. The tiny one by the front wheel was hanging on by a thread.

Body shop guy (at my indy) said he never really seen this before but these cars are rare around here. From what I've read, if it were in a hot sunny climate the higher the risk. And mine spent quite a bit a time in FL.

And one did meet its doom in the car wash. $80 bucks a side, give or take, one side is priced a little cheaper. Just normal MB BS.

Other than that, the big 12 is humming along fairly well (knock on wood). It sure doesn't like cold weather when it wakes up.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Mine is in the garage avoiding snow for now.

Cross post from a few days ago; finally has the right diameter Michelins on the HREs, but still going to tint, lower, and delete chrome.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Tremek posted:

Cross post from a few days ago; finally has the right diameter Michelins on the HREs, but still going to tint, lower, and delete chrome.

Looks great!

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Tremek posted:

They are very fun to drift around in the snow

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Can the traction control be turned off or tamed? I've never run anything but summers on mine, so really only move it around / maintenance drive it in winter when it's totally dry.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
U can turn it off but it still kicks on if u really get it sideways. The trick is to be really smooth.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Forgot that I told this only in the Boston thread:

quote:

When I finally went again to get it, the service writer gave me a lot of grief as though it were my fault it took me so many days to come get it, even when I pointed out I had never heard back from him or anyone else I tried to contact.

After I drove it home, I noticed the shark fin antenna cover was gone. Great so I now I need to try to verify that it was missing at the dealer.
I wrote this detailed timeline complaining about the whole ordeal to his manager, saying I never wanted to talk to the service writer.
I called that manager, got a commitment to look at security footage, and didn't hear back.

I call again a few days later, get the general manager, and find out the middle manager was out on vaca. He's pretty apologetic, confirms that they had reviewed the footage, except they had IDed the wrong car (white with red stripe instead of gray). He said he'd check again and email me back. I fwded my complaint email to him, and he offered to replace the cover free. But cuz of that new work, he also CC'ed the original service writer on my complaint.

80% didn't notice/care, 20% power move.

Speaking of trim, are all W220 door handles the same? I need to replace the RR one.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Preoptopus posted:

They are very fun to drift around in the snow

lol, yes and no when people and other objects aren't involved.

First time out in the snow and I turn my head to basically see the rear end-end of my car next to me as I do a 180 without even trying.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dropped the car off. The dealer has its own Uber account to drop customers (I almost wrote patients) off, which I never knew about cuz I'd always been putting a folding bike in the trunk. Today I couldn't cuz it was so cold the basement door lock was frozen. A service manager spotted me calling a Lyft and offered. One of the very few perks of having an unreliable luxury car.

The radio wasn't working, so hopefully that will come back when.

When I drove the car, the motor was a little clanky at 16F, and the LCD screens took a long time to get bright enough to read. There was a body or suspension creak that I've never heard before, which I'm going to chalk up to the weather. The defrost is easily the fastest I've ever seen.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

My personal policy is to ignore any suspension noises that only occur below freezing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Oh, the other noise was pretty much like water running down your sink pipe after washing hands. Wiper fluid?

Only happened for like 10s, but boy oh boy is that not a sound you expect to hear in cars.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Going to pick up the S65 in an hour from its first visit to the MB independent; potential service activities may have included an oil change, new secondary battery, new heat exchanger pump (those are cheap though, like $115?) - bonus, apparently the fuse was missing in the trunk? For the heat exchanger pump - and maybe some other minor stuff?

O/U on $1k total bill, lets go

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

700 tops.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I like your optimism

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kimbo305 posted:

700 tops.

Tremek posted:

I like your optimism

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

But two more trips, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Tremek posted:

Going to pick up the S65 in an hour from its first visit to the MB independent; potential service activities may have included an oil change, new secondary battery, new heat exchanger pump (those are cheap though, like $115?) - bonus, apparently the fuse was missing in the trunk? For the heat exchanger pump - and maybe some other minor stuff?

O/U on $1k total bill, lets go

Ill take the under, but my confidence is wavering and it feels like a real gamble if theres any of this other stuff you mention.