Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Concatenation posted:

yeah this thread has a constant problem with understanding how much it costs to build anyhthing if you're not, like, owned by roland corp or whatever. chase bliss makes some pretty groundbreaking stuff and they're still a pretyt small operation

:yeah:

I wish I could even slightly wrap my head around what goes on at Chase Bliss. Someday I’ll definitely take the plunge and grab one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Philthy posted:

Almost the standard cost for pedals these days that aren't from Aliexpress.

I usually look at things like Boss and Electro Harmonix and those prices are pretty reasonable still. A hiundred bucks or so for a tremolo, compressor, chorus, overdrive/dist, fuzz, all of the basics. But sure, once you go with the hipster bullshit brands the prices start creeping up. If the pedal looks like a beat up unfinished metal chassis with sloppy hand writing on it watch the gently caress out.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Boss and Electro-Harmonix aren't literally one dude in a shed.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Siivola posted:

Boss and Electro-Harmonix aren't literally one dude in a shed.

also:

https://reverb.com/ca/marketplace?query=boss+waza
https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=electro%20harmonix%20organ

turns out electrical engineering, production engineering, and DSP programming are time-comsuming and thus expensive when you will sell maybe a couple hundred pedals a year.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Inherent mojo:

https://reverb.com/item/30764535-1972-gibson-es-335-walnut-with-ohsc-free-shipping

I'm 100% in favor of making your guitar into a ridiculous eyesore but make it your own ridiculous eyesore, don't buy somebody else's.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Tone Sparkle? :crossarms:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Wark Say posted:

Tone Sparkle? :crossarms:

Yes please

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The basket case BC Rich Warlock bass I refinished had those nail in pyramid studs all around the bevels. I pulled them out and filled them before painting it. It also came with a CD of some dude I never heard of that said he used to play with Marilyn Manson.:jerkbag:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I though those were push pins at first. Didn't realize it was bedazzled. Though what really gets me is the upside down freebie AAA sticker between the pickups, I can't wrap my head around that one unless it's covering some damage?

I also feel guilty that I never come across these gems (ha!) worthy of being shared in the thread.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Turbinosamente posted:

I though those were push pins at first. Didn't realize it was bedazzled. Though what really gets me is the upside down freebie AAA sticker between the pickups, I can't wrap my head around that one unless it's covering some damage?

I also feel guilty that I never come across these gems (ha!) worthy of being shared in the thread.

just go on your local craigslist and you'll find something horrible worth posting

like I did just now

M VAMPIRE BIO-TECH

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the hell of it is, that's listed for $500 and that may actually be a steal, I have no idea.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I'm going to have to go ahead and call that a sweet-rear end piece of guitar right there.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yeah that's fully sick.

Edit: I googled Chris Compston and holy poo poo :vince:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Dec 25, 2019

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

hexwren posted:

the hell of it is, that's listed for $500 and that may actually be a steal, I have no idea.

ESP's custom shop is the real deal. $500 is absolutely a steal.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I can guarantee it plays like a million bucks unless the previous owner trashed it, and honestly the graphics seem pretty restrained by metal guitar standards. From ten feet away it'll just look like a swirl.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The purple swirl thing is diet weeb as gently caress and I love it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

rickiep00h posted:

ESP's custom shop is the real deal. $500 is absolutely a steal.
That's still only an LTD with a custom graphic, so it's not that big a steal.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Yeah that'll be a 400 series LTD which is good for $300-400 depending on how it plays. Decent if not spectacular, the more recent indo made models are better than stuff made before about 2016, which I suspect that guitar probably is. Dipshits buy their limited run graphic versions and expect them to keep value though so good luck bargaining

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
What would you say to a friend who has been collecting the LTD versions of the ESP (Kirk Hammet?) horror movie poster guitars and cases? I mean, they seem to be decent instruments and I am certainly not in a position to throw stones when it comes to "liking what I like."

But this friend of mine has several of these now, and he's tracked down gravestone/coffin cases for them. I think he's reached the point where he's decided he must have them all; and I just don't see the appeal.

I'm guitar-shaming and that's not cool. Sorry.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

His taste in horror is very fun and those guitars look awesome to me.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
While I don't quite get the appeal of buying poo poo for the sake of buying poo poo or the appeal of hobbies that are wholly just boil down to "I spend money for fun," ... I forgot where I was going with this. Eat the rich.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

His taste in horror is very fun and those guitars look awesome to me.

:yeah:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Well it's obvious I never had a leg to stand on to judge, so consider me shamed and enlightened.

There is not, and never has been, accounting for taste. Thanks, goon friends.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I like the dumbest poo poo imaginable and the older I get the less I care about anything other than what makes me happy.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I think it might be part of me being broke and not ever being in a place where I can do such as a thing (I have three guitars - a basic acoustic, a $100 epi and a squier tele), but I don't really understand collecting guitars beyond "well, they all play differently and make different sounds" - I totally understand going "here's my two les pauls, here's my rick, here's my supershredder vai special, here's a bari, there's a jm and a tele" but "here's my collection of fifteen nigh-identical strats/LPs/whatevers" just makes me scratch my head.

in other news, I was looking for something and ran across this again, so here, now you have to deal with it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTO5XdvXd1I

edit to add: HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER as to the whitest guy on earth

hexwren fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 28, 2019

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

While I don't quite get the appeal of buying poo poo for the sake of buying poo poo or the appeal of hobbies that are wholly just boil down to "I spend money for fun," ... I forgot where I was going with this. Eat the rich.

under capitalism we're all paypigs in one form or another

hexwren posted:

in other news, I was looking for something and ran across this again, so here, now you have to deal with it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTO5XdvXd1I

in a way i feel bad that he'll always be known as an internet weirdo when he's actually pretty legit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3BGL6AtreE

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 28, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Muppets On PCP posted:

under capitalism we're all paypigs in one form or another
:mrapig:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

hexwren posted:

I think it might be part of me being broke and not ever being in a place where I can do such as a thing (I have three guitars - a basic acoustic, a $100 epi and a squier tele), but I don't really understand collecting guitars beyond "well, they all play differently and make different sounds" - I totally understand going "here's my two les pauls, here's my rick, here's my supershredder vai special, here's a bari, there's a jm and a tele" but "here's my collection of fifteen nigh-identical strats/LPs/whatevers" just makes me scratch my head.

Bruce Springsteen tours with approximately 15 identical butterscotch Teles and the one actual Broadcaster they're all based on. Even when you're rich as gently caress like The Boss, I don't get it.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

rickiep00h posted:

Bruce Springsteen tours with approximately 15 identical butterscotch Teles and the one actual Broadcaster they're all based on. Even when you're rich as gently caress like The Boss, I don't get it.

I mean, he's famous for his super-long concerts, so I can understanding taking the absolute worst-case rate of guitar failure and extrapolating it over his three-hour shows. Or not wanting to risk swapping in a new guitar mid-tour so he travels with vetted ones.

Really, if those guitars form a net positive on your income and a drop in the bucket expense-wise overall I can't argue.

Also, if people want to collect and admit they're collecting, sure why not. Not the way I'd spend my hobby money, but that's their hobby, not mine. I only get annoyed when collectors wield their disposable income in the place of expertise to poo poo on people actually making music.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I was looking at American Teles on Reverb earlier and one thing I saw multiple times was dudes bragging about never having played their instruments. My dude, a loving American Standard is not going to appreciate unless you hold onto it for 40 years, and in 40 years society will have collapsed and nobody will care about mint American Standard Teles. A mass-produced guitar in your closet has 0 value if you're not playing it.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

What would you say to a friend who has been collecting the LTD versions of the ESP (Kirk Hammet?) horror movie poster guitars and cases? I mean, they seem to be decent instruments and I am certainly not in a position to throw stones when it comes to "liking what I like."

But this friend of mine has several of these now, and he's tracked down gravestone/coffin cases for them. I think he's reached the point where he's decided he must have them all; and I just don't see the appeal.

I'm guitar-shaming and that's not cool. Sorry.

As long as your friend isn't putting himself in financial trouble playing guitar pokemans then more power to him. If I could afford it, I'd be collecting PGMs and get an extra to add the weird fringe thingy to.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

rickiep00h posted:

First thing is that touring is super hard on equipment. Collectively my band went through three guitars, two amps, and a pedal on a single two month tour this summer and we were only doing thirty minutes sets. Everything got repaired on the road except one guitar that needed woodwork, but you want to be confident you've got backup on the night.

Standard tour abuse aside, Bruce is notoriously hard on his guitar electronics because he sweats like a monster and regularly dunks his head in a barrel of water at sidestage. The original Broadcaster has it's pickups sealed and drainage holes drilled along the bottom of the control cavity to let the sweat run out.

Finally there can be a lot of variation in sound and feel between two guitars from the same production run, nevermind the same style. If you're a telecaster nerd and you play three hour shows every night then you can get really involved in the differences between them so if you can afford to take them all out then why not? Guitars are fun and playing lots of them is even more fun!

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

darkwasthenight posted:

Standard tour abuse aside, Bruce is notoriously hard on his guitar electronics because he sweats like a monster and regularly dunks his head in a barrel of water at sidestage. The original Broadcaster has it's pickups sealed and drainage holes drilled along the bottom of the control cavity to let the sweat run out.

I wonder if Angus Young has had anything similar done to his guitars. He's more sweat than man when on stage.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

I wonder if Angus Young has had anything similar done to his guitars. He's more sweat than man when on stage.

Yup. Interview with his luthier.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Angus young also travels with like 30 Marshalls but only uses two at a time for just the same reason. According to his tech they blow an amp just about every show. Luckily those old things are just a handful of point to point components, but still that's gotta be annoying.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

Angus young also travels with like 30 Marshalls but only uses two at a time for just the same reason. According to his tech they blow an amp just about every show. Luckily those old things are just a handful of point to point components, but still that's gotta be annoying.

Ac/dc also travel with a tube tech, and so their amp tech biases their amps by blowing a tube, then rolling it back a little.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Awesome. Thanks for this. :)

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I wonder how many Marshall heads AC/DC own.

edit: Hundreds? Thousands?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Marshall Plexi circuit is beautifully simple and thus easy to repair nightly. You can thank Leo Fender for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I was thinking so long the dude has room to keep em and maybe show em off then it's cool. But then I remember the Yngwie Malmsteen video of just a bazillion guitars stacked on each other and that kinda makes it a moot point. Just collect whatever and sleep on em if you run outta room.