Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

if the problem is the content, i.e. the internet, then the only solution is taking away people’s unfettered access to the web. and that genie is not going back in the bottle

you just have to reverse engineer cyberspace into AR and blanket the world in AR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kitfox88 posted:

I ordered and it says papa john is putting it in the oven?!?!

We’re still talking about pizzas here, right? :gonk:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

Platystemon posted:

The tracker progress is a function of time alone.

There is no feedback from the pizza making process.

for a while, the bootup bar on macos just used the duration of the previous boot as reference, it had no relation to what was happening in the background. so if your first boot was slow, the next boot would maybe get halfway through the bar before you got to login/desktop. but if you then installed something that needed to run in stuff during boot, it would fill up 95% and then sit there while stuff finished up

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SardonicTyrant posted:

No, I mean it gives you the name of the people making it. Just seems weird.
That's what I call the Domino's Gamble, but also it only gives out the names after you've completed the order

it gives out the names of whoever's highest paid at the store so generally it's the store manager or one of the assistants. for delivery it does give out the driver name which sucks.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I guess the only thing to do is go to a Dominos, order a pizza from the app while inside the store then hover over the counter watching the employees to see if the timer matches up with what’s going on.

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

Platystemon posted:

The tracker progress is a function of time alone.

There is no feedback from the pizza making process.

I'm not too sure about how bad it is the US, but in Aus the Domino's tracker is kinda concerning. Australia is a testbed for all of the Domino's dystopian pizza tech, for some stupid reason.

our tracker is accurate enough, the workers have to press a couple of extra buttons on screens to the best of my knowledge. we also have machine learning pizza quality assurance aka the store sends you a picture of the pizza when it's done cooking. I personally don't believe an AI is analyzing the ham ratio on my hawaiian.

before they leave the store, the driver gets to stand in a specific spot and have a photo taken of them, which is sent along with their name to the screen of the person who ordered and presumably definitely not also to a server somewhere. once they leave, they're tracked on GPS all the way to your door, which you can watch in real time while it displays personalized fun facts about the driver and poll questions with goofy answers, sometimes related directly to what the driver is doing.

it sure looks like the tracker you guys get sorta sucks in comparison, after some googling, but I feel better for the workers at least. they went all-out over here in a pretty sinister way

e:

The Nastier Nate posted:

I guess the only thing to do is go to a Dominos, order a pizza from the app while inside the store then hover over the counter watching the employees to see if the timer matches up with what’s going on.

I found this while I was googling to see the pizza tracker you guys get, someone beat you to it

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

The Nastier Nate posted:

"STEVE? STEVE?! WHICH ONE OF YOU IS STEVE??! SHOW YOURSELF!!!"

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

At the very least, it sometimes takes more or less time to go through each step. I used to get dominos occassionally and I did like to use the progress meter. Sometimes it would be "prepping" forever and sometimes it would be marked as going in the oven in just a couple minutes. But that could just be the computer knowing approximately how long the delay would be and then dividing that by n steps

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's not. it says we're getting ready or making it until we clear it off the make line computer, at which point it's in the oven for about 7 minutes and then being 'quality checked' (ie, remade if it's obviously wrong or thrown on the warmer until a driver gets back). then when the driver clocks out, it says it's being delivered until it says it arrived at a fairly random interval that doesnt match up with what our store computer says is the estimated arrival time. basically what I'm saying is just wait for your pizza like a human being because the tracker wont tell you anything useful unless you're in an area with the GPS tracking. and I shouldn't have to explain why opting for that makes you weird in the brain.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

dreamin of semen posted:

I'm not too sure about how bad it is the US, but in Aus the Domino's tracker is kinda concerning. Australia is a testbed for all of the Domino's dystopian pizza tech, for some stupid reason.

our tracker is accurate enough, the workers have to press a couple of extra buttons on screens to the best of my knowledge. we also have machine learning pizza quality assurance aka the store sends you a picture of the pizza when it's done cooking. I personally don't believe an AI is analyzing the ham ratio on my hawaiian.

before they leave the store, the driver gets to stand in a specific spot and have a photo taken of them, which is sent along with their name to the screen of the person who ordered and presumably definitely not also to a server somewhere. once they leave, they're tracked on GPS all the way to your door, which you can watch in real time while it displays personalized fun facts about the driver and poll questions with goofy answers, sometimes related directly to what the driver is doing.

it sure looks like the tracker you guys get sorta sucks in comparison, after some googling, but I feel better for the workers at least. they went all-out over here in a pretty sinister way

That is some amazingly dystopian pizza future you've got going on down there

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

and pizza delivery was supposed to be the cool part of the future

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
How do they not have cyber-samurai delivering those yet.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

dreamin of semen posted:

I will tell you why. It is because Domino's AU is the same company as Domino's NZ and New Zealand is THE country to test all your poo poo. Small, westernized, English speaking country.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Larry Parrish posted:

it's not. it says we're getting ready or making it until we clear it off the make line computer, at which point it's in the oven for about 7 minutes and then being 'quality checked' (ie, remade if it's obviously wrong or thrown on the warmer until a driver gets back). then when the driver clocks out, it says it's being delivered until it says it arrived at a fairly random interval that doesnt match up with what our store computer says is the estimated arrival time. basically what I'm saying is just wait for your pizza like a human being because the tracker wont tell you anything useful unless you're in an area with the GPS tracking. and I shouldn't have to explain why opting for that makes you weird in the brain.

That's terrible company policy though, and the other day I actually assumed our driver had probably lied to the computer or hosed us over to game his delivery time stats, when he arrived 15 minutes later than the "order completed" progress message.

I had no idea that the driver isn't actually pressing a button when they depart and then arrive at your door, that the progress bar updates directly according to. Well I'm glad I had doubts about it working that way and tipped him as though it hadn't happened. Meanwhile it delayed our party to stop everything for the pizza once it went from "out for delivery" to "complete", unaware that wasn't coming for another 15 minutes.

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

exmachina posted:

I will tell you why. It is because Domino's AU is the same company as Domino's NZ and New Zealand is THE country to test all your poo poo. Small, westernized, English speaking country.

ahh! I never thought about that. I knew they were the same company, but that never really occurred to me.

I suppose parts of Australia aren't horrible for that either, though. KFC especially really likes Newcastle. the first drive through only KFC in the world opened there recently, it's the location of the country's biggest KFC, and it's the place where they test new stuff for all of Australia.

also yeah, super cool future pizza delivery, horrible data collection, a drone, or a warm box on wheels that screams "kick me over and pry me open for tasty pizza"

it's like a trash mob in a cyberpunk MMORPG

dreamin of semen has issued a correction as of 06:56 on Dec 28, 2019

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

actionjackson posted:

lol

Okay I'll post something non-phone related. My dad got me a 23 and me ancestry kit (I thought it said "salvia" collection kit at first) and I had to tell him that while I appreciate the thought, there was no way I was giving me goddamn entire genetic code to a tech company.

Maybe he's trying to tell you something.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/xnlqEi8.mp4

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

The Nastier Nate posted:

one time I walked to the dominos near my house and started to order and the guy stopped me and said "this is like $12 cheaper if you just use the app"

they need that drat data.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

wtf

i guess they really want data to train some kind of kind of pizza neural net?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Mineaiki posted:

It’s amazing how much of management is just simple fraud. Misrepresenting yourself as a smart, with-it or even innovative leader, when in reality you just follow whatever new HR-approved trend is making waves with no additional thought or effort from yourself.

yeah but did you hear in soviet russia all everyone did was say party slogans

also one of my favorite little essays online

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

exmachina posted:

just one of the many reasons that nz is terrible

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

wtf

i guess they really want data to train some kind of kind of pizza neural net?

rumor mill says someone at corporate straight up decided the best way to train an automatic quality check camera would be to give people rewards points for doing it. of course this begs the question of why is the guy slicing the drat pizza not good enough. generally the shift or store manager is the guy sitting there.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

rumor mill says someone at corporate straight up decided the best way to train an automatic quality check camera would be to give people rewards points for doing it. of course this begs the question of why is the guy slicing the drat pizza not good enough. generally the shift or store manager is the guy sitting there.

Its not even helpful because a mass produced domino's pizza would have a certain look, different enough from even competing chain's mass produced pizza, that I have no idea what it's even gaining from an MSPaint picture.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
For that promotion, Domino’s explicitly was accepting photos of any pizza, including competitors’.

However, I don’t think they wanted photos of fake pizzas, even if they did joke about it with the dog’s chew toy.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Its not even helpful because a mass produced domino's pizza would have a certain look, different enough from even competing chain's mass produced pizza, that I have no idea what it's even gaining from an MSPaint picture.

they're more similar than you think. probably not likely to work terribly well with family joints, but if you know what to look for, every chain pizza is completely identical. the spices and flavoring in the sauce and crust is pretty much the only difference. they're all roughly 1 1/4th crust with about the same topping density, because that's what works best in a commercial conveyor oven

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

they're more similar than you think. probably not likely to work terribly well with family joints, but if you know what to look for, every chain pizza is completely identical. the spices and flavoring in the sauce and crust is pretty much the only difference. they're all roughly 1 1/4th crust with about the same topping density, because that's what works best in a commercial conveyor oven

Fair enough. Thinking about it now my only experience without automatic qc systems like that have been for stuff with significantly higher precision than a pizza.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

lol

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

dreamin of semen posted:

e:

I found this while I was googling to see the pizza tracker you guys get, someone beat you to it

:catstare:

calling them for other reasons right now tho

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol prepare your kid for the future big tech hellworld

https://twitter.com/amazonnews/status/1210688054693945344

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Larry Parrish posted:

An automatic quality check camera doesn't have the option of not giving a gently caress.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

etalian posted:

:ohno:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

etalian posted:

quote:

This has been the longest-running obsession, but Jeremiah’s had a few of these obsessions over the years, including trains, garbage trucks, law enforcement and locks.

“He had an assortment of garbage trucks and little garbage cans, so every day all day long, there was little pieces of tissue paper all over the ground that he would put in the garbage can, dump in a garbage truck and then do it all over again,” Leila said.

Barbar also built him a jail so he could go around “arresting” people.

For Christmas, Jeremiah didn’t ask for any toys. Instead, he said he asked Santa for a perforator and shrink wrapper.

:)

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

etalian posted:

:gonk:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

etalian posted:

Happy Birthday, Future Labor Unit

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

This kid is going to lose his mind when he learns about Excel spreadsheets

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Enfys posted:

This kid is going to lose his mind when he learns about Excel spreadsheets

fortunately there's a competitive excel bracket

http://www.moschampionship.com/

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Happy Annual December Socially-Mandated Gift-Giving Occasion, Future Disposable Labor Meatbag #49875982934

<bzzt!> You are now 34 Amazoncoins in debt to the company for this publicity that you have been provided with. Report immediately to the nearest fulfillment center to immediately begin working off your debt upon the age of majority.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/juliacarriew/status/1129756351515766789

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/Boyz_II_Menorah/status/1195111341331079168

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

There's a place I have in mind, a place I'd like to find
You don't know the contract. What if I should buyyyyyyy?!